Alternate Planets, Suns, Stars, and Solar Systems Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by SaveAtlacamani, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Capricus ideot

Here's a little something I made a few months ago and never finished or posted. I took the basemap from a post that, for the life of me, I can't find. But the credit for a lot of this goes to whoever made that. I also took some bits from other maps, mostly just sea level rise ones. Anyway, this is from my own science fiction universe where humans have mastered the art of terraforming thanks to an alien race gifting us all of their technology in the early 22nd century. This is a near-clone of Earth, with plenty of modifications.

One of the concepts in this universe is groups of people wanting to settle planets similar to their own homeland. For example, Polynesian colonists got Polynesia Prime, a world covered almost completely in water, with lots of little archipelagos and few large landmasses. That planet has a weather control system even more strict than Earth, to prevent catastrophic hurricanes.

Keeping that in mind, this planet was created at the request of several distinct groups to imitate their homelands but with a significant twist. I'll try and hit just the highlights here.

The Middle East: A new pan-Abrahamic religious movement that borrows heavily from Zoroastrianism, Judaism, and Sufism. A little weird, but harmless and very friendly.

Green North Atlantic: An amalgamation of neo-Celtic and neo-Pagan groups from various planets. Both identities saw a huge revival as people went out into space and began to forge their own identities, some new, some very old. We probably wouldn't recognize a lot of the things they consider "Celtic" in the same way our images of Vikings as horn-helmeted red-haired berserkers isn't very Viking at all.

Light Blue Europe: People from various parts of the old North Atlantic Federation of Earth. They like to think they're very cosmopolitan and sophisticated. To be fair, they kind of are.

Olive Green North America/Atlantis: People from old New England. They wanted to forge a new identity, one based on the traditions of the coastal Northeast but even more centered on the ocean. This planet's oceans are teeming with marine life, so their diet is even more fish-based than 21st century New England.

Gray-Blue North America/Atlantis/Mexico: settlers from the American side of the North Atlantic Federation. Enough of them had cultural ties to the Valley of Mexico that their portion of the planet includes it. Many of them wanted to recreate a pre-Collapse version of the Old United States, one that would seem, to us, ridiculously anachronistic. They've created a cultural aesthetic from an amalgamation of 1909, the 1920s, the 50s, the early 60s, the 80s, and the 90s.

Yellow Southeast North America/Central America: I don't remember what I planned for this one. Their color is the one I use for any pan-Caribbean federation, so I think most of them were originally from there. All those barrier islands are for protection from hurricanes, since that would make an expensive weather control system pretty much unnecessary. They only need a cheaper one.

Teal-Blue in North America: Former residents of the Pacific States or their descendants. Lots more Hawaiian and SoCal than anything else. They wanted to see what life would be like if the Channel and Hawaiian Islands could support much larger populations. They also got those big islands close to Japan because why the hell not.

Yugoslavia: My guess would be people from the Balkans/Dalmatia who still want to live in their ancestral homeland. They could hang out in Sarajevo II or on the Croatian coast but have it be truly their own, not part of anything larger except the Republic.

Japan/Korea: Okay this one is fun. This is the first true homeland of the Yamato, a bizarre cultural phenomenon combining anime/otaku culture, vaporwave, Meiji-era nostalgia, samurai nerds, and the descendants of the current J-pop/K-pop fad. They're super weird.

Australia: They finally got that inland sea they always wanted.

Aotearoa: The Maori, given a lot of land and resources. With a few Anglo Zealanders thrown in. Not a completely accurate recreation, since that would be nearly impossible for ships to navigate. Most people travel by air/space in this era, but the Maori are still fans of boats.

Why Atlantis: It's awesome, and it's a great excuse to say "I live on ATLANTIS!" It also helps make up for all those extra lakes/seas

Lake Chad: Easier access to freshwater and fish for people in the Sahara/Sudan

North American Lakes: No idea, really. They just look really cool. Having more water would probably help moderate temperatures in the South, since their weather control system won't do much except keep hurricanes below Cat 3.

Spratly Island: Looks cool, more land, neato place to live.

Japanese Islands: Helps the whole non-Earth, anime-feel.

Salton Bay/Lake Fresno: Oh man, if the Central Valley had a big lake? Come on. And a big bay is better than a stinking salty pond full of dead fish. So is just about anything.

Galapagos: Bigger to fit more potential settlers.

Bermuda: Same.

Please tell me what you think, even if you think this is dumb. I hope you like it.

Levi Fox and Miner like this.
  2. Jürgen Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is a experiment inspired by this map (https://www.deviantart.com/thobewill/art/The-Centauri-Highway-738041408)

The World of Nyx

Nyx are a rogue Ice Giant lying 1,7 light years from the sun toward Barnard's Star, it was discovered in 2067 CE. When humanity expanded into the Oort Cloud it became one of the first colnisation target and human ships arrived around the rogue planet in 4511 CE. They had already discover that Nyx had several moons,but some surprising discovery was found. Nyx had five moons: Hypnos, Hecate, Morpheus, Asteria and Phantasos. Hypnos and Phantasos was both Earth size, while Hecate was Mars size, Morpheus and Asteria was the size of the Moon. The was likely more moon earlier, but Phantasos was a captured rogue planet, which had thrown any other moons out of the lunar system. The three inner moons was all frozen with no atmosphere, Hypnos had the least water and had some dry land, while Hecate and Morpheus was had a deep ocean, Astria are a twin to Titan. Phantasos on the other hand was unique, it was a cold version of Venus weith a very thick atmosphere and a sea level pressure of 80 bars. Together with its very active vulcanism, this result in a surface temperature of 9 degree celcius. This was a incredible discovery and while the planet was lifeless, humanity have introduced a modified biosphere on the planet, this biosphere depend mostly on chemosynthesis and kinosynthesis for energy.

Moons

Hypnos: While less interesting than Phantasos, Hypnos are the centre of Nyx, home to 1,8 billion people, it's the second biggest human settlement outside Sol. The population live underground in a vast number of cavern, which areas are slightly bigger than Australia.

Hecate and Morpheus: Both are lightly populated, only 12 and 7 million lives on each. They live between the water and surface in cities in the ice. Not a lot difference between the world. Both use O'Neils Cones to ensure 1G.

Astria: home to 171 million people, Astria are in many ways the industrial powerhouse of Nyx, the population mostly live in floating cone shaped cities.

Phantasos: Home to 981 million people these vast number of people dwell in floating cities, these are the more traditional flying cities in the cold upper atmosphere, and mostly they mine the atmosphere for raw materials.

Other signifcant sight in Nyx lunar system:

Nyx itself are home to vast gas extrating industries, and around 150.000 people dwell in its atmosphere. These people mostly live here withot family a few month until they can return with a fat pay check.

Patel Station home to the local lightway station, here Lightway vessels arrive several times a year.

Hanseniv Yard, the biggest shipyards outside Sol, their ships are exported to other settlements in the region between the Oort Cloud of Sol and Barnard

Reposted from the map thread

3. Vlad von Carstein Chaotic Good, Worldbuilder

I like this. Question: what is an “O’Neill Cone?” Because if it’s a way to create higher gravity zones on planetoids too large to just hollow out and spin like a giant O’Neill cylinder I’m interested for a story I’m writing

4. fasquardon Cosmonaut

Have you encountered Isaac Arthur's videos? If not, if you are asking about O'Neill Cones, you'd probably enjoy them.

And good luck with the story!

fasquardon

Ivoshafen and Vlad von Carstein like this.
  5. Jürgen Well-Known Member

@fasquardon link explain much of it, but it's fundamental a O'Neil Cylinder for places without microgravity, it's slightly cone shaped downward toward the gravity center. It's only really viable on a planet, moon or dwarf with a low gravity, if we get Mars gravity, it's not really practical any more. Through there's other constructs which could deliver the same effect on Mars.

So as example you bore down a hole in the surface of Ceres, in the this hole you place this rotating cylinder, but make the cylinder slightly bigger in the top than bottom, this also mean at the bottom you can can create a curvature, which allow people to walk from the spin "gravity" to the normal gravity, allow a pretty easy access point in the bottom. Another major benefit with this model are that the planetoids deliver protection from radiation. While it can function in a place with atmosphere, it's better in a place without one.

Vlad von Carstein likes this.
  6. metalinvader665 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the atmosphere have to be totally different than Venus to be a "cold Venus"? Because the CO2 atmosphere would rain down and turn into oceans until the atmospheric pressure hit 5.1 atm (beneath which liquid CO2 can't exist). So it would have some very deep CO2 oceans (and some frozen parts cold enough for dry ice) and a rather thick and heavy atmosphere, but not quite a cold Venus.

I though the modified O'Neill cylinder (vase-like in design) would still be perfectly viable on a place like Mars. Isaac Arthur has mentioned it before (as well as on his Mercury video).

Vlad von Carstein likes this.
  7. Augustine Sedira Service, Family and Wisdom Banned

upload_2018-7-27_19-44-51.png
    The Planet of Sartemos.
    Thoughts and advice on improvement are welcome.

8. ST15RM Ich bin ein AH.commer!

That long continent bugs me. I think it needs to be curved with the projection.

9. Jürgen Well-Known Member

The necessary size on Mars would make it unviable and the atmosphere would demand continued influx of energy to keep it going. Instead you could go with a thinner structure like a carrousel lying down, it would still demand energy but a malfunction wouldn't be as disasterous.

As for cold Venus, I'm talking about the air pressure at sea level, not a similar atmosphere.

10. Augustine Sedira Service, Family and Wisdom Banned

Damn, I have completely forgot about projection.

11. Gryphon oh no

This isn't so much an ATL map as just a really bad OTL map (I was doing a lot of freehand and not a lot of calculating), but this is an approximate map of the 288 brightest stars (everything under magnitude 3.50, plus a marker for the Pleiades) by equatorial coordinates, set on one of the older Worlda scale maps.

It's more a proof of concept of a way to make a star map than a real attempt at an accurate OTL map, and I can only ask you forgive my errors, which I assume to be numerous. (Note that a lot of the weirdest looking things- the Big Dipper, Cassiopeia, Centaur, and the Southern Cross- appear at the top/bottom and/or edge of the map, both places where distortion is heavy and I had to do more than the usual fudging; this is an unfortunate side effect of that coordinate system. On the other hand, Orion is lovely!)

[​IMG]

12. Dorozhand Queer Hedonistic Communist

Silly observation, but I just noticed that the inner system of Huitzilopochtli looks oddly similar to the red dwarf system TRAPPIST-1, including three planets in the liquid water zone.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Serafim likes this.
  13. michaelk156 God of Aephlera

Aephlera_demo.png A world I decided to start creating on a whim. Not sure if I'll return to it...

HB of CJ, Wendell, Deltax10 and 10 others like this.
  14. JohnWarrenDailey Well-Known Member

On my alternate Earth, its moon has a diameter of 3,274 miles and orbits the planet from a distance of about 665,000 miles. A five-mile-deep mantle separates its rocky crust from its core made entirely of iron. Questions follow:

1. Will Earth still rotate at 24 hours and revolve around the sun at 365 days with a moon of this size at this distance?
    2. How quickly will this moon leave Earth's orbit?
    3. How big and how bright would it look in the night sky?
    4. How long would one lunar cycle--new, waxing crescent, waxing gibbous, full, waning gibbous, waning crescent, new--take?
    5. How would tides and eclipses be affected?

15. Ashtagon Very Well-Known Member

I'm afb right now, but gurps first in has all the formulas you seek, at least for those cases where a formula exists.

Tangle likes this.
  16. rexnerdorum Well-Known Member

1. If you want it to, yes.
    2. Very, very slowly. It will still take billions of years to leave earth's orbit (actually, it will be more catastrophic than that, but not for a while).
    3. This moon is 1.51x the diameter of ours, or 2.30 times the area. It's 2.78x farther away. Long story short, it will be 0.30x as bright. (relative brightness is area/distance^2)
    4. One lunar cycle will be 136.7 days. It will probably enter an 8:3 resonance with earth's orbit, meaning it will orbit earth 8 times for every 3 years.
    5. Tides will be 0.16x as strong as on earth. Total solar eclipses will not be possible, as the moon is too small (when viewed from earth) to cover the entire sun. Could produce annular eclipses though. Lunar eclipses can still happen.

Tangle and merkmuds like this.
  17. Gryphon oh no

Out of curiosity, are you taking into account the vastly increased gravity of this essentially completely iron moon? (The calculator I tried said lunar tides would be about 0.46x the strength, plus or minus.)

Zaffre likes this.
  18. Jürgen Well-Known Member

A idea to a Scifi setting

Humanity had turned into interplanetary civilisation, they had begun to colonise the Deep Void between the stars, and send sub-light colonisation ships to other solar system, when they meet the Star Riders. The Star Riders was a younger civilisation than humanity, but they had mastered the Deep Way enable them to travel faster than light between the stars, and when they meet Humanity they meet a opportunity for loot beyond imagination. They conquered the first colonies with ease. But their first attempt to conquer Sol failed. But they wasn’t ones to give up. The vast richest of Sol was a price, they couldn’t afford to slip them by, and invasion after invasion slowly destroyed the Human defences. Humanity in desperation decided to flee, much of humanity fled to the void between the stars, where the Deep Ways was shallow and hard to use. But other fled into the the depths of the Ice Giants of Uranus and Neptune. The Star Riders conquered the Solar System, but they found it near devoid of slaves, while the vast infrastructure of Sol was a price in itself, and the rich biosphere of Earth, Venus, Mars and the Deep Seas of the Icy moons of Sol’s gas giants was a grand price in itself. They had hoped for the vast amount of slaves, which could taught them the knowledge of Human engineering. Now they could do little else than plunder the ruins of Humanity and use the little knowledge that the Human slaves, they had taken in the colonies to reverse engineer some of the technology of Humanity. They knew of the Humans hiding in the depth of the giants and in the Deep Void. But they had little ability to conquer them, the crushing pressure of the giants would crush, them, and they had little ability to travel the Deep Void. As they colonised Sol lording over their Xeno and Human slaves, they feared alien armadas rising from the depth of the Ice Giants or returning from the Deep Void. They send out slow raiders to ensure that Humanity sought away from Sol and the other systems of the Star Riders empire. While fleets guarded the Ice Giants fearing the vast population hiding there.

In the depth of the Ice Giants, Humanity on the other hand rebuild their civilisation, they lived in large chandelier cities floating among the skies, while factory outpost on the mantle worked tireless producing the goods their civilisation needed, while deep mining into the rocky core which was under unimaginable pressure delivered the few metals and silicates their civilization needed.

Both Ice Giants was home to close to a trillion people, but they was also civilisation under siege, they could not leave their planets without being attacked by the Star Riders. Communication between Neptune and Uranus was very limited, and the communication with the Deep Void next to non-existing, the information they got about the Deep Void limited to what information they could steal from Star Riders. But they still planned for rising from the Depths to Reconquer the Solar System, but they was forever limited by their inability to understand the Deep Way.

19. merkmuds Singularitarian/Posthumanist/Transhumanist

Was this inspired by a recent Isaac Arthur video? Looking forward to seeing more of this setting.

20. HB of CJ Well-Known Member

KISS. Swap Venus with Mars. Perhaps also a really big satellite orbiting Jupiter.

Tangle likes this.