Alternate List of Billboard #1 Hits: Katarn Edition

January 2nd, 1981: "The Waiting" - Mudcrutch
January 9th, 1981: "The Waiting" - Mudcrutch

And since no one has shared the video yet...

Just in case you guys missed it, apparently Petty isn't dead, but he's hanging on by a thread.

Why not. I feel like it's ASB to have more than maybe 11 weeks though. IOTL, the pre-SoundScan record is 10 weeks (tied by "You Light Up My Life" and "Physical").

10 or 11 is good, maybe even 12 but I agree beyond that is kind of ASB. It already has 8 so we don't have far to go.

Well, I'll get it up to ten and call it good, I guess.

January 23rd, 1982: "The Waiting" - Mudcrutch
January 30th, 1982: "The Waiting" - Mudcrutch

Last edited:
SWASH reforms as HARSH (1982)
February, 1982: SWASH reforms as HARSH: Roger Hodgson (singer, guitar), Rod Argent (keyboard), Trevor Rabin (singer/songwriter), Chris Slade (drums), Steve Howe (bass)

(The name's a bit of an inside joke; their new sound is anything but. Strongly geared towards pop audiences, it gets a lot more airplay than SWASH's delightful but way-too-long-for-top-40 prog tracks)

March 6th, 1982: "Picking Up After You" - Tom Waits & Crystal Gayle [1]
March 13th, 1982: "Picking Up After You" - Tom Waits & Crystal Gayle

[1] This smooth jazz duet becomes an unexpected hit off of the Francis Ford Coppola film One from the Heart.

March 20th, 1982: "Space Age Love Song" - Cosmic Lovers
March 27th, 1982: "Space Age Love Song" - Cosmic Lovers

Yet another of my favorite songs of all time... yes, one of my favorite songs of all time is by Flock of Seagulls.

April 10th, 1982: "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"- Steve Grant

Male model/dancer discovered by producer Tim Friese-Greene (Talk Talk, Thomas Dolby). Grant was originally to front a studio act called Tight Fit but plans were scrapped to give him a solo career instead.

I already posted Tainted Love way back in November 1981. You should probably change that.

Sorry, did not see that. Not my favourite time and n pop music at the moment.

But since that single holds the record for longest stay in billboard top 100 in OTL, I think it works as an oddity here too...

But if you insist, I will look for an alternative.