Alternate List of Billboard #1 Hits: Katarn Edition

The film adaptation of Dispatches by Cameron Crowe is released (1982)
April 17th, 1982: "Pac-Man Fever"- Buckner and Garcia
April 24th, 1982: "Pac-Man Fever"- Buckner and Garcia

Event; May 1st, 1982: Dispatches, based on the novel by Cameron Crowe, is released, to positive critical reception, and minor box office success. The film stars 17 year old Rob Lowe in the lead role.

Event; May 1st, 1982: Dispatches, based on the novel by Cameron Crowe, is released, to positive critical reception, and minor box office success. The film stars 17 year old Rob Lowe in the lead role.

Is that supposed to be this timeline's Fast Times at Ridgemont High?

Jim Steinman releases a new all-star rock opera featuring Billy Squier, Meatloaf and others (1982)
May 15th, 1982: "Steppin' Out" - Joe Jackson
May 22nd, 1982: "Steppin' Out" - Joe Jackson

Event, May 1982: Songwriter/Producer Jim Steinman teases a new concept album, a full rock opera starring several of the big name performers he works with. The tentative list of guest artists includes Meatloaf, Bonnie Tyler, Karla Devito, Todd Rundgren, Ian Hunter, and Billy Squier.

May 29th, 1982: "Steppin' Out"- Joe Jackson
June 5th, 1982: "Secret Heart"- Steve Grant

"I don't think Steve sounds any different on 'Secret Heart' than he did on 'Lion'. People are just suspicious over one dodgy live performance where he couldn't quite hit the high notes. Steve was sick that night"

-Producer Tim Freise-Green to the NME, 1982. Freise-Green is being interviewed on another act he produces, Talk Talk, when questioned with rumours about Grant's voice sounding different on his follow-up hit.

June 26th, 1982: "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Willie Nelson
July 3rd, 1982: "Earthbeat" - The Flowers of Romance

The Ring-Stones release Ninety Nine (1982)
(Hmm, in OTL that was written by Paich who's not in the Ring-Stones; but it's reportedly about Steve Porcaro dating Rosanna Arquette, so he could've written it himself)

June 1982
Event: The Ring-Stones release their first album, "Ninety Nine", which includes the hit "Rosanna".

ninety_nine_by_mad_bad_rabbit-dbpyhaa.png

IMG[

Last edited:
July 24th, 1982: "Words" - Missing Persons
July 31st, 1982: "Words" - Missing Persons

Rather surprisingly, this song didn't even hit the top 40 IOTL. It peaked at #42 (as did the follow-up single, "Destination Unknown").

August 7th, 1982: "Angel of the Morning" - Joan Jett

Former member of The Runaways tops the charts with a remake of song that was a Top 20 Country hit for Juice Newton.

August 14th, 1982: "Angel of the Morning" - Joan Jett
August 21st, 1982: "Like a Jungle" - The Great Melle [1]

[1] So, a solo version of this song:

Also, Melle Mel with a different rap name that I totally didn't steal from an A Pup Named Scooby Doo episode.

August 28th, 1982: "Like a Jungle" - The Great Melle
September 4th, 1982: "Eye of the Tiger" - The Ides of March*

*Band formed in 1970, fronted by guitarist Jim Peterik

September 11th, 1982: "I Don't Care Anymore" - BWNN[1]
September 18th, 1982: "I Don't Care Anymore" - BWNN

[1] OTL's Genesis. They changed their name to BWNN ("Band With No Name") to protest against convicted pedophile Jonathan King (who came up with the "Genesis" name).

September 25th, 1982: "I Don't Care Anymore" - BWNN
October 2nd, 1982: "After Dark" - Blue Oyster Cult [FRR]

[FRR] - Former Reckless Records artist (this will pop up a few times with the bands they just lost, just adding some insult to injury here)