Alternate List of Billboard #1 Hits: Katarn Edition

It's your TL ; personally, I don't want to make up an ATL death of anyone still alive in OTL, it feels wrong to me.

(Except in hypothetical situations involving world leaders, Presidential successions, etc.)

It's your TL ; personally, I don't want to make up an ATL death of anyone still alive in OTL, it feels wrong to me.

(Except in hypothetical situations involving world leaders, Presidential successions, etc.)

Well that wouldn't work once we got to the modern day. We wouldn't be able to kill anyone off which is more than a little ASB. Look, I know this was dark and over the top but I was going to do it at some point and I figured it would be better to do it now before you guys waste hours of planning. Last time she still dominated the charts (in fact she still had the longest number one ever on the last thread at 15 weeks, and had 12 number ones total), and I'd prefer to prevent the butterfly genocide.

Oh and you do know Eric Clapton is still alive right? :p

Last edited:
Last time she still dominated the charts, and I'd prefer to prevent the butterfly genocide.

Does that mean I mustn't have Shirley McClaine channel her ghost into a pop career? >; k

Oh and you do know Eric Clapton is still alive right? :p

Yeah, considering how much drugs he did in OTL, I didn't argue the ATL-smite. Like I said, it's my own personal rule.

Moving right along here.

January 7th, 1978: "In the City" - The Jam
January 14th, 1978: "Right Down the Line" - Gerry Rafferty

Um... okay. It's just a TL dude.

I have always found the death of future famous people as children to be more than a little disgusting. When famous people are killed as adults far earlier than OTL it can be great (look at "No W", "The Selma Massacre", or "Losing the peace" for example) but when they're killed as children I usually view it as cheap since it's usually fueled by the author's grudge against the person. This is far from the only TL that pulls the stunt so this isn't just a problem I have with you.

Anyway...

February 4th, 1978: "Count on Me"[1] - Marty Balin

[1] The theme song to the film Count on Me with Elliott Gould and Jill Clayburgh, it reached #1 following Balin's performance of the song at the Golden Globes on January 28th. At the ceremony, George Lucas asked Balin if he would participate in a Star Wars Christmas special; Balin said no and urged Lucas to drop the idea for the ridiculous special entirely, which he did.

The Downbeats release Free as a Bird (1978)
March 18th, 1978 - Free as a Bird - The Downbeats
March 25th, 1978 - Free as a Bird - The Downbeats

Event: The Downbeats release their next album: Free As A Bird. After seeing a screening of David Lynch's debut film Eraserhead, John and Paul thought it would be fun to do a cover of the Lady in the Radiator's song In Heaven. With Bill providing a heart beat like drumbeat, and John using a mellotron to recreate the sound design of Alan Splat, the four preform, what David Lynch himself calls "A Touching Tribute" to the film

The Downbeats - Free as a Bird

1. Free As A Bird
2. Jumpin Jack Flash
3. Old Siam Sir
4. The Tank (Instrumental Jam)
5. In Heaven (Everything is Fine)
6. Real Love
7. After The Ball/Now and Then
8. Shine On
9. India
10. We're Open Tonight

Last edited:
Ted Nugent plane crash (1978)
April 8th, 1978: "Do You Wanna Get Funky With Me" - Peter Brown
April 15th, 1978: "Do You Wanna Get Funky With Me" - Peter Brown

Event: Ted Nugent's plane crashes a few miles out of Phoenix, Arizona shortly after taking off for a concert in San Diego on March 30th. The pilot and co-pilot are killed instantly on impact, as are several of the dozen passengers aboard. Despite every member of Nugent's backing band surviving the crash and the ensuing 16 hours of desert heat before rescue, Nugent himself was thrown from the plane at over 100 mph and died instantly upon hitting the ground.

April 22nd, 1978: "I Love The Sound Of Breaking Glass"- Silver Pistol
April 29th, 1978: "I Love The Sound Of Breaking Glass"- Silver Pistol

An LP is coming as soon as I can access my laptop. I just didn't want to get on tonight and find out it's 1986...lol

April 22nd, 1978: "I Love The Sound Of Breaking Glass"- Silver Pistol
April 29th, 1978: "I Love The Sound Of Breaking Glass"- Silver Pistol

An LP is coming as soon as I can access my laptop. I just didn't want to get on tonight and find out it's 1986...lol

Your dates are wrong, we're actually in November 1993.

May 6th, 1978: "Sultans of Swing"- Cafe Racers*

*Band consisting of singer and guitarist Mark Knopfler, his brother David on Rhythm Guitar, John Illsley on Bass Guitar, and Pick Withers on drums.