Alternate History Combat Aircraft

So if I may ask, what really were the problems of the Me 309? As far as I know problems with the nosewheel delayed the test flights and that it didn't really show so much improvements in speed. But to be fair, the government didn't really had any interest in it.

So what would have had to change so that the Me-309 could beat the Focke-Wulf Fw 190D, or the entire Fw 190 in itself?
And if that could be achieved, then how do you think it would have stood against the OTL 109 variants and its enemies?

Second question is. Let's say that the Heinkel He 112 V2 got the Jumo engine roughly at the same time the Bf 109 prototype did, so that the later can't take too much spotlight away from the Heinkel. And let's say the V2 variant didn't crash 2 times so that they had to resort to the V1.

That still wouldn't solve the weakness of the He 112 against the Bf 109, but give it more breathing room to improve. What should have been changed so that it sticks?

The problem with the Me.309 was that it started with a completely new design team having absolute freedom to start from scratch and build a successor to the BF109-E. However, at the same time the trusted design team that build the BF.109-E was also busy tweaking and improving the design they already had. So by the time the new team got the Me.309 up and flying and ready to replace the BF109-E, the old team had already replaced it with the BF.109-G. And while the 309 might have been the better aircraft, the 109-G was by far the better weapon system, especially considering things like many spare parts being interchangeable with the old aircraft, factories needing lesser retooling and training for the pilots and ground crews already used to the previous BF.109 being easier.

Yak-45.png

Consider it a bump

A pair of fictional Japanese fighters

Ki-218 Yajiri.png

A Nakajima Ki-218 Yajiri (Arrowhead), the IJAF's first supersonic jet fighter.

Ki-234.png

And the successor, the Nakajima Ki-234 Saikuron (Cyclone)

Does anyone know why Yak kept the wings mounted on the wings well into the 1980's I mean the only Yak jets to not have this arrangement were their VTOL aircraft.

edit
if you move those engines in to the wing roots at least you have a much more modern looking aircraft.
My guess (totally uninformed) would be ease of maintenance and freeing up space in the fuselage for fuel, avionics and armament

Großes Flugboot aus den 1930er-Jahren:
WuWStvR.jpg

Eine verbesserte Version des Heinkel He 112:
cJUDqVS.jpg
Eine Bf 109 E-Nase ist eine Verschlechterung (Gegenteil von Verbesserung) der aerodynamisch saubereren He 112B, keinesfalls eine Verbesserung! Die He 112-Prototypen, die den DB-Motor verwendeten waren lange nicht so zerklüftet, wie die Me Bf 109E. Die Verwendung einer He 111 Motorverkleidung würde sicher bessere Werte der Aerodynamik erzielen, als dieses Exemplar.

Last edited: