Alternate History Combat Aircraft

ctayfor

Monthly Donor
For some reason the edit function doesn't seem to be working on the above.

I was going to add, imagine if say, Packard or another allied engine manufacturer had bought a licence to manufacture the DB605 from Daimler Benz in the late '30s and it had wound up on the original P51... Or as an option in Canadian-built Hurricanes or even Mosquitos or Lancasters.

Last edited:
If I remember the data/info correctly, the difference in performance is more related to the Messerspit is not loaded with ammo, for example. Also, the DB engine is the DB601 or 605, not 602.

ctayfor

Monthly Donor
The real advantage might have been the fuel injection for dogfighting. The DB 600 series and the various marks of Merlin were more or less neck and neck through the war as far as I can tell.

I was going to add, imagine if say, Packard or another allied engine manufacturer had bought a licence to manufacture the DB605 from Daimler Benz in the late '30s and it had wound up on the original P51... Or as an option in Canadian-built Hurricanes or even Mosquitos or Lancasters.

DB 605 was 1st used in 1942, so we're probably better with US making the Merlin from the late 1930s on?
It was too bad that Packard was not approached by the British earlier than it was historically so. There is also a thing of the USAAF not having a foresight to jump on the Mustang bandwagon, instead opting to pretending that it does not exist before 1942.

Yep, no true advantage from one over the other to the end.

There was definitely advantage for the Merlin once the 60 series were introduced in service (second half of 1942), mostly due to the new type of supercharger on these Merlins. The late inroduction of the oil de-aerator also hampered the DB 601/603/605 engines, so did the imposed policy of saving the nickel, so the valves were corroding and pre-igniting the air/fuel mixture, with catastrophic consequences.

DB 605 was 1st used in 1942, so we're probably better with US making the Merlin from the late 1930s on?
It was too bad that Packard was not approached by the British earlier than it was historically so. There is also a thing of the USAAF not having a foresight to jump on the Mustang bandwagon, instead opting to pretending that it does not exist before 1942.

There was definitely advantage for the Merlin once the 60 series were introduced in service (second half of 1942), mostly due to the new type of supercharger on these Merlins. The late inroduction of the oil de-aerator also hampered the DB 601/603/605 engines, so did the imposed policy of saving the nickel, so the valves were corroding and pre-igniting the air/fuel mixture, with catastrophic consequences.
I made this for one of the TL-191 threads.
TL-191 P22 -- P51-w-Daimler-Benz DB 605A-1 V-12.png

my thinking was since the Union and Britain were enemies in TL-191 but Imperial Germany was the Union's ally then the Mustang could have had the DB engine in TL-191.