Alternate Electoral Maps III

What if Japan had a government that looked more like the United States?
1706698772067.png

Too Funny To Be President

Republican: Gerald Ford (MI) / Nelson Rockefeller (NY)
Democratic: Mo Udall (AZ) / Terry Sanford (NC)
American Independent: Lester Maddox (GA) / William Dyke (WI)

1707187260461.png

We've all heard of Goldwater vs. McGovern, but what if they teamed up?
For this ridiculous idea, I added the two's state totals, and if their totals added up to 75% or more I gave them the state. The closest states turned out to be Idaho, Kansas, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Virginia.
1707516311650.png

The 1996 US presidential election in End of History, a Campaign Trail mod by Astronomics. The POD is the success of the August Coup, which reignites the Cold War and leads to a significantly more violent breakup of the Soviet Union over the next several years. Bush narrowly wins re-election over Clinton, who is seen as inexperienced on foreign policy matters. In 1996, Democrats nominate liberal Pennsylvania senator Harris Wofford over rivals Kent Conrad and Ann Richards in a return to New Deal-style liberalism, who selects Alabama senator Howell Heflin as his running mate. Meanwhile, California governor Pete Wilson easily clinches the Republican nomination and selects Minnesota senator David Durenberger as his running mate. Immigration (both from Latin America and war-torn Eastern Europe), foreign policy, and the sluggish economy are front and center, with Wofford winning comfortably to end 16 years of Republican control of the White House.
1707582098678.png

Buchanan: 133 electoral votes
Fremont: 125 electoral votes
Fillmore: 38 electoral votes

It looks like Buchanan won the most electoral votes. However, 149 electoral votes were need to win the 1856 US presidential election. Looks like this election is probably going to the House.
Pretty much. I'll admit I haven't quite figured out the scenario for this map - I came up with it first and haven't figured out its story. But yeah, margin-wise the 1856 election actually came pretty close to having a hung EC - just deny Buchanan at least three of Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Louisiana (where his widest margin was 5.08% in Kentucky) and that's it. Just keep the Southern Whigs out of the Democratic Party and with Fillmore for just a little longer and you have chaos.

For what actually happens, I haven't really looked at the congressional nitty-gritty necessary to figure out the contingent election - again, I mostly just made the map. There's a few possibilities, mostly depending on the what the Know-Nothings decide to do, but the one I'm fancying right now is a bit crazy - go back to the DNC and give the veep nomination to some Fire-Eater (John Quitman?) instead of Breckenridge (possibly trying to balance out a Douglas nomination that angers Southerners that hate popular sovereignty? Bit implausible, but I think the needle can be threaded. Plus it could handily help explain why more Southerners are skeptical of the Democratic ticket). Then when the contingent election happens, a majority Democratic Senate elects Quitman VP (with Southern Know-Nothings making up for defecting Northern Democrats) while the House deadlocks - putting a Fire-Eater in the White House as (acting) president.

Literally 1984

Conservative: Pete Domenici (NM) / Jeremiah Denton (AL): 298 ECV
Democratic: Wendell R. Anderson (MN) / Mario Cuomo (NY): 197 ECV
Republican: Daniel J. Evans (WA) / John Chafee (RI): 43 ECV

1711413409443.png

The Conservatives, having formed from the chaos of the 60s, finally enter the Oval Office. All appears well for President Domenici, until the press gets word of Adam Laxalt’s paternity.

Last edited:
The 1880 Election from a Lincoln Lives TL:
ElectoralCollege1880.png

James A. Garfield (Liberal-Ohio)/Samuel J. Tilden (National Union-New York): 199 electoral votes, 48.32%
Green tick

Ulysses S. Grant (Republican-Illinois) (inc.)/Frederick Frelinghuysen (Republican-New Jersey) (inc.): 170 electoral votes, 46.21%
James B. Weaver (Greenback-Iowa)/Alexander Campbell (Greenback-Illinois): 0 electoral votes, 5.35%

One of the very first posts I made on this site, back in 2017, was a county map for the 1988 election from The Biden Express by @Whanztastic . I've remade it because I feel like I was pretty green when it came to knowledge about electoral politics. This time I examined the voting results of each state. Here, Democrats have a national swing of 10.2% more in their favor than OTL, though it is not evenly distributed. In the case of Alaska and Maine's 2nd Congressional district, Libertarian Party candidate Ron Paul comes in second place, though he still barely misses winning any boroughs or counties.

It's really interesting to realize that Dukakis, despite his failure, was the last time Democrats put on a competitive performance in many rural, deeply conservative parts of the country. With that in mind, this map doesn't seem that implausible had the right candidate been nominated.

O3LXJoG.png

1713842721192.png

Last edited: