Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Chapter 92: Lovers
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 92: Lovers

June, 1612

Robert flung himself onto the chair and sighed. He was tired. Completely exhausted. Being in council was exhausting. Listening to Suffolk and the Prince of Wales bickering was exhausting. Listening to Montgomery whine was exhausting. It was all exhausting, he was half tempted to go to the King and ask him to dissolve the Council, but he knew that would be madness. The King was off hunting at Theobalds right now, and had insisted Robert remain as his eyes on the council, though the King had taken that upstart Villiers with him.

“What is it?” Frances asked, coming to sit on his lap. Robert felt the stirring of desire then.

“The Council is a mess.” He replied.

“Why what’s happened?” Frances asked.

“Your father wants us to go through with his planned joint venture whilst the Prince of Wales adamantly refuses to agree to it.” Robert said. “And that’s divided the council. We just had a six-hour argument over it.”

“Ah.” Frances said, running her hands through his hair, causing him to shiver in delight. “Why is the Prince resisting the venture?”

“Because the Prince is naïve.” Robert replied, moaning softly as Frances tugged on his hair. “He thinks Spain is the enemy.”

“Why?” Frances asked, her hands moving from his hair to his brow.

“Because they are Catholic and he thinks they are a serious threat to our safety.” Robert said, which was idiotic. Spain didn’t want to break England, if anything their attentions were focused on the French, at least if what he’d heard was true.

“And are they?” Frances asked, her hands massaging his brow now, causing him to moan with pleasure.

“No, I do not think so, they are not interested in undermining us now.” Robert said.

“So, how are you going to convince the Prince of that?” Frances asked.

“I don’t need to.” Robert said. “The King just needs to be swayed.”

“How?” Frances asked, in her tone of voice, Robert could hear the nervousness, the fear that he might need to resort to that particular act to get the King onside.

He looked at her then and took her hands in his. “I will use my charm to get him onside and I will point to the facts.”

“What facts?” Frances asked.

“That our trade with Spain is large enough to merit a significant fear should we do anything to lose that trade. That we barely have the resources needed to keep our one colony going, and would do well to consider what benefits we could gain from examining the Spanish experience. And finally, that France not Spain is our traditional enemy.” Robert said. He had examined every argument in detail and he truly hoped that they would work. If he couldn’t convince the King through the usual means he’d need to resort to the educated argument and hope the King agreed.

“And do you think the King will agree?” Frances asked looking at him with her big eyes, Robert felt something in his pants twitch then. He ignored the sensation.

“I do.” Robert said. “But I will need your help.”

“Oh?” Frances asked.

“I need you to win the Princess of Wales over to our view point.” Robert said slowly, carefully assessing his words.

“And how am I to do that?” Frances asked.

“Bring it up in conversation, not immediately but slowly. Understand where she is coming from and slowly cultivate her toward the viewpoint that Spain is not the enemy.” Robert said.

He expected Frances to protest, to say that what he was asking of her was too difficult-it was- but instead she simply said. “Very well, I’ll do it.”

Robert felt his eyes widen. “You will?”

“Yes, the Princess’ governess continually talks about Spain. And the Princess listens to her. So, I think if I coordinate with the woman it should work.” Frances said.

Robert smiled. “That’s my Frances.” He leaned forward and kissed her then, she sighed into his kiss and then broke it eliciting a protestation from him.

“I’ll try my best when we’re in Scotland.” Frances said then.

“Scotland?” Robert replied surprised, why would Frances be going to Scotland?

“Yes, haven’t you heard?” Frances replied, eyebrow raised.

“Heard what?” Robert asked.

“The Prince and Princess are going to Scotland at the end of this month or next month, so that the Princess can give birth there.” Frances replied.

“Really?” Robert replied surprised.

“Yes, I think it has something to do with showing that they haven’t forgotten about Scotland.” Frances said.

“And they’ll be there until the end of the year.” Robert said thinking it through. The Princess looked a few months pregnant now, which meant she’d likely give birth at the end of the year and then need another month or so to remain and recover.

“Yes.” Frances said.

“So….” Robert trailed off. He looked at Frances and felt a pang of pain then. His plan would be delayed then. His plan for them.

“I will need to be there for the entire duration.” Frances said. “Her Highness has specifically requested my presence.”

I wonder why. Robert thought to himself angrily, Ros had told him what the Prince and Princess had done before, and he had no intention of allowing them to try that again. That was why he asked. “How do you feel about that?” What he really meant was how did she feel about them.

It seemed Frances understood him for she replied. “If I, could I’d marry you right now.”

Robert blinked in surprise. “You would?”

“Yes, of course.” Frances said. “If protocol did not exist and if you weren’t still betrothed to my sister.” She said that last point rather pointedly then causing Robert to blush.

He’d been putting that off, but if she was going up to Scotland, he needed to do it and soon. “I’ll speak to your father tomorrow.”

“You will?” Frances asked, shifting slightly on his lap.

“Yes.” Robert said, his mind made up.

“Thank you.” Frances said. She kissed him then and he moved his hands to her waist. God he couldn’t wait for a year.

Chapter 93: Mood Music
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 93: Mood Music

July, 1612

Mikhail took a deep breath. He was exhausted. Constant fighting and preparing for fighting would do that to a person. He wanted the war to end, he wanted the rebellious elements to accept that their time was over and that it was time to return to the fold. But they refused to do that. They refused to accept simple sense, and instead the fighting continued.

The Poles had been kicked out of Smolensk, but they refused to give up, and they had instead created havoc by freeing a dissident priest who Mikhail’s cousin had had imprisoned. Mikhail had summoned the English envoy to ask him about that, to see just how hand in glove the English and the Poles were. He expected lies, but he wasn’t sure how far the man would lie.

The English Envoy, Merrick, to his credit didn’t flinch, instead he simply looked at Mikhail respectfully, waiting for a question.

Mikhail took a breath and then asked. “Do you know why you are here Mr Merrick?”

The man shook his head. “I do not, Sire.”

“You are here because I want to know whether you can provide me with some useful information.” Mikhail replied.

Merrick straightened. “How can I be of assistance, Sire?”

“I want to know whether you had anything to do with what happened earlier this year.” Mikhail said.

“Sire?” Merrick replied sounding confused, though Mikhail didn’t buy it for a moment.

“Did you have anything to do with the escape of former Patriarch Ignatius?” Mikhail asked.

Merrick’s jaw dropped open then, whether he was acting or being genuine, Mikhail didn’t know, either way it was somewhat comical. “Sire, I had nothing to do with that. We would never try something like that.”

Mikhail frowned. Something about the way Merrick had said that didn’t sit right with him. “You are sure?” He asked then.

“I am, Sire. There are no Englishmen or resources anywhere near where Patriarch Ignatius was staying. We had no reason to be there, and no reason to free him either.” Merrick said.

“And yet he has been freed and your allies the Poles are using him.” Mikhail said. Indeed, they’d used him to force a crown on his cousin Ivan, the poor fool who didn’t know up from down.

“Sire, I can reassure you now that we had nothing to do with that.” Merrick said.

Mikhail stared at Merrick for a while, he wanted to unnerve the other man. Wanted him to squirm a little, for it was when people were uncomfortable that the true nature of who they were came through. Merrick shifted from one foot to the other. He didn’t seem nervous, more anxious than anything. Eventually, Mikhail decided he’d seen enough. “Very well, you may go.” He said dismissively. Merrick bowed and then hurried out of the room.

Once Merrick was gone, Mikhail looked at his spy master and asked. “Well, do you believe him?”

Paramon took a breath and then said. “Yes, I think so, Sire. His body language indicated that he was shocked. And what he said was true. The English have never had any men near where the former Patriarch was located.”

“So, the Poles blindsided them?” Mikhail asked, he found that slightly humourous given what King Sigismund apparently liked to claim.

“It would appear so, Sire.” Paramon replied.

“So, what do you recommend I do now?” Mikhail asked, fully aware that the situation wasn’t completely stable. The False Dmitry was currently on the backfoot but refused to be beaten, the Poles were trying to cause more chaos, and it seemed like the Swedes might well pull out due to their war with Denmark.

Paramon didn’t say anything immediately which made Mikhail nervous, usually when the man was quiet like this, it meant either he was about to give bad news-such as when he’d informed Mikhail about the Patriarch escaping-or he was about to say something that Mikhail wouldn’t like.

When Paramon did reply his words were slow and thought through. “I think, Sire, that you should keep an eye on the English but also the Dutch.”

“The Dutch?” Mikhail asked confused. “Why the Dutch?”

“Because it is possible that they could have had a hand in the former Patriarch’s escape.” Paramon said.

“What?!” Mikhail exclaimed. “Why?”

“To sow distrust between Your Majesty and the English. The Dutch want to muscle in on the trade opportunities present here, Sire. They cannot do that if the English are still viewed favourably.” Paramon said.

“So, you think they’d help free a former Patriarch to give to the Poles, who are technically their enemies?” Mikhail asked. Surely the Dutch weren’t as idiotic as that?

“I do not think it should be discounted, Sire.” Paramon replied.

Mikhail wasn’t sure he agreed, but he had asked Paramon for his view so he reluctantly said. “Fine, keep some eyes on them, but nothing more.”

“Of course, Sire.” Paramon replied.

Mikhail then asked. “What of Sweden?” He had suspected that this new King was less willing to commit to the fight than his predecessor had been, but he wanted to know just how unwilling.

“It seems that King Gustavus is focusing on Denmark more than Poland at the moment, Sire. I have received word that he plans on attacking the Danish position himself.” Paramon replied.

“And will he succeed?” Mikhail asked. He didn’t want his ally dying.

“I do not know, Sire. It could go either way.” Paramon replied.

Mikhail nodded, feeling a sudden wave of tiredness overcome him. He waved a hand signalling that Paramon was free to go, once that man had left, Mikhail slowly got up, feeling the aches and pains of the war and made his way back to his rooms. He needed to rest. He needed sleep, and he needed this damned war to end.

Whether he would get any of those things, only God could tell. And lately, God had not been on his side. So, perhaps he should not count on it occurring. Still, a man could hope, right?

Chapter 94: Union PT 1
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 94: Union PT 1

July, 1612

James took a breath. He’d seen Henry and Anna Maria off earlier that day, in a grand celebration, and he was already missing them. He understood why they wanted to go and he hoped they’d find some comfort in Edinburgh.

He pushed that thought to one side and instead focused on the thing that was really bothering him.

James looked at Suffolk and asked. “How are things progressing with Union talks?”

“Very well, Sire.” Suffolk replied.

Encouraged by this James asked. “Will the documents be ready by August to present to Parliament?”

Here Suffolk hesitated and James knew what the man would say before he said it. “Unfortunately, not, Sire.”

“Why?” James asked.

Suffolk shifted rather uncomfortably. “The Irish question.”

James frowned. “What about the Irish question?”

“How many of the Catholic Lords and MPs will be brought into this united Parliament.” Suffolk said softly. “The Scottish and English negotiators are worried that if they are granted unfettered access there will be a Catholic majority.”

James frowned surely that couldn’t be true. He looked at Lord Ellesmere and asked. “Would that be the case?”

“No, Sire. The English Protestant Lords would outnumber the Catholics alone, if they all attended. But there would be some concern, as Catholics would have a large minority in the Lords.” Ellesmere replied.

“I see.” James replied. He didn’t quite understand the paranoia that there was about Catholics, yes, they followed Rome, but many were loyal to the Crown, at least from what he understood. He looked at Suffolk and asked. “How do you propose we rectify this issue?”

“There are two choices I see, Sire. One is that we exclude the Catholic Lords and MPs from sitting in Parliament. This would reassure the more hard-line amongst the negotiators. But it would also infringe on the rights of Your Majesty’s subjects.” Suffolk said.

“The same subjects who openly pledge fealty to another power?” Montgomery demanded.

Suffolk ignored Montgomery-when had their breach occurred- “Or secondly, we propose a compromise.”

“What sort of compromise?” James asked intrigued.

“Well, there is a law on the books in the Irish Parliament that was never formally repealed. This law states that the Pope has no power over the affairs of a Kingdom as long as they do not pertain to the Church. The law was enacted during the reign of Richard II and was never repealed.” Suffolk said.

James thought he got where the man was going with this, so, he said. “We could use this law as a way of mediating the fear. Create an oath that the Catholics would need to swear before joining Parliament based off this law, that they recognise that the Pope has no authority on anything related to governance and domestic and foreign matters within the Kingdom, unless it’s the Catholic Church. Those who swear the oath can attend, and those who don’t, can’t.”

“Exactly, Sire.” Suffolk replied smiling.

James looked at Ellesmere and asked. “Would it work?”

Ellesmere didn’t reply immediately, instead he fiddled with a bit of fluff on his shirt sleeve, then when he did reply his tone was measured. “I think so, Sire, but I would need to check with my colleagues in Ireland.”

“Do so.” James commanded. He wanted this whole business sorted out by the end of the year.

“Sire.” Ellesmere replied nodding in agreement.

James turned to Carr then, he’d appointed the man to oversee negotiations with the Spanish over this proposed venture in America. Suffolk had wanted to be responsible for it, but James didn’t want the man handling too much. He’d learned his lesson with Salisbury. “What word from Spain?” He asked Carr.

Robert looked different, his face was gaunter, his hair was more unkempt. James was worried about his friend, and wondered if he should write to Edinburgh so that when Henry got there, he would send Frances Howard back. He cleared that thought from his mind when Robert spoke though. “Good, Sire. Things are going well, Spain has responded positively to the overtures for a joint venture.”

“They have?” James replied surprised, he’d thought they’d be completely against it.

“They have.” Robert replied nodding. “They have proposed a start date for the venture.”

“When?” James asked, still convinced that this might be a trap.

“Next year, Sire. They recommend the formation of a committee to discuss objectives and funding.” Robert said.

“How many people on this committee?” James asked. He really was surprised by how quickly this was progressing.

“Ten each, Sire.” Robert replied.

He took a breath and then said. “Very well, draw up a list and bring it to me by the end of the week.”

“Sire.” Robert replied.

Pushing the sense of unease, he felt about this down, James then looked at Suffolk and said. “The Elector Palatinate has confirmed that he will be visiting London in a month’s time.”

That news had pleased him. He wanted the marriage between Elizabeth and the Elector sorted as soon as possible to show that he was serious about being a mediator.

“That is excellent news, Sire.” Suffolk said.

“I know.” James said. “I want you to put together a committee to plan for his visit. Funding, where he will visit, what he will do. I want everything to be perfect.” He wanted to make a good impression after all.

“Of course, Sire.” Suffolk said.

“And include some of Prince Henry’s household in the venture as well.” James said, an idea coming to him then.

“Sire?” Suffolk replied sounding uncertain.

“Salisbury and the Chaloner brothers. They should be part of the committee.” James said.

Suffolk looked uncertain about this, but nodded all the same. “I will ensure they are included, Sire.”

“Good.” James said, when Henry and Anna Maria returned from Edinburgh with their child, they could meet the Elector and form a good relationship. Henry would need it for the future.

“Is there aught else?” James asked then.

“Nothing, Sire.” Suffolk said.

“Very well.” James said, standing up, let us end this meeting for the time being. With that he moved to the doors and walked out. He sighed as he felt the sun hit his face through the window. He’d visit George today. Perhaps they might take things further.

Chapter 95: Union PT 2
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 95: Union PT 2

August, 1612

Richard Butler, Viscount Mountgarret shifted. He looked around the room and felt he was like a lamb in the lion’s den. He wondered why his cousin, the Earl of Ormond had asked to meet him here, in the old Town, where bad things had happened to their family in the past. He supposed his cousin was trying to make a point, to show how powerful he had become.

Richard pushed that thought down as the door opened and his cousin walked-or rather limped-into the room. Thomas Butler, Earl of Ormond, and one of the King’s chief lieutenants in Ireland. He was tall, broad, and muscular. And when he’d been a younger man, he’d been incredibly handsome. Now the lines around his face made him appear wise.

“Cousin.” Thomas said, extending a hand as he sat down opposite Richard.

“Cousin.” Richard greeted, taking the man’s hand and shaking it, noting how firm the handshake was.

Thomas pulled his hand back and Richard waited. Eventually, the older man spoke. “Thank you for coming. I know the Old Town is not your favourite spot.”

“Of course, what did you wish to speak about?” Richard asked.

His cousin looked right at him, in a manner that unnerved him quite solidly. “The Union.”

“Ah.” Richard said. The Union of Parliaments to go with the Union of the Crowns. Richard had been somewhat reluctant to support the procedure, fearing that in doing so, he’d undermine the position not only of himself but of his fellow Catholics everywhere. The protestations that had come from the Scots in particular seemed to have validated his view.

“There has been a proposal from London as regarding how to solve the quandary that occurred in talks.” Thomas said.

Richard leaned forward intrigued. “Go on.” He said.

His cousin took a breath and then continued. “The King has proposed using an old law from the time of Richard II to provide a loophole for you and your fellow Catholics to take your seats in the Lords.”

“What old law?” Richard asked.

His cousin took another deep breath then replied. “A law that recognised the fact that whilst Rome held authority on church matters it did not have authority on non-church related matters.”

Richard considered this, he suspected he knew what the King wanted him and others like him to do, and so he asked. “Would the King use this law to allow us to sit in the Lords if we swore to recognise his authority on non-church related matters?”

“Yes.” Thomas said simply.

Richard then asked. “And has this been declared legal in England and Scotland?” He felt a stirring of hope, if it had been perhaps, they could move forward and he could see whether the Union would succeed or fail.

His cousin hesitated for the briefest of moments before replying. “It has been.”

Richard nodded. “Then I shall speak with Maguire and the others and convince them to come onside.” He knew that of those that he had contact with, Maguire would be the hardest to convince. The man was bullish about everything and would speak only in Gaelic.

“Good.” Thomas said, smiling.

“There was something else you wanted to speak about wasn’t there?” Richard asked. He knew his cousin; he knew that from the way the man was holding himself there was something else on his mind.

His cousin laughed. “There is actually.”

“What is it?” Richard asked.

“Should this Union go through, we will need a way of ensuring that our influence outmatches that of Kildare’s.” Thomas said.

Richard frowned. “Kildare only has himself and his family, there are far more branches of our family. Surely it shouldn’t be too hard to achieve.” This was especially true after the Desmond rebellion.

Thomas snorted. “I wish that were true. But many members of the family are not as politically savvy as you or I. Take your brother-in-law for instance.”

Richard frowned. “What about him?” Walter was a decent man, a good soldier, and a good Catholic.

“He has no brain for the fight.” Thomas said. “As much as I love the man, he knows nothing of the game. He has not bothered to attend any meetings of the Union talks despite being a member of the sub-committee.”

Richard felt his frown deepen, that wasn’t good. “So, you think Kildare will use Walter’s naivety or lack of political interest to his advantage?”

Thomas snorted. “It’s not that I think he will, I know he will.”

Richard sighed. “So, what do you suggest?”

“You must take over leadership of the family once the Union occurs. You must give the speeches and you must lead the voting blocs.” Thomas said.

Richard nodded and then asked. “Are you sure?” He knew what it would look like from the outside, if he as a Catholic started taking over control of the family, not being from the main branch of the family.

“I am.” Thomas said. “You must do this to protect the family and protect Ireland from the scourge of Kildare.”

“Very well, I will do it. On one condition.” Richard said.

“Name it.” Thomas said without hesitation.

“You will not object if I speak with McCarthy and O’Doherty and the O’Donnells.” Richard said, preparing himself for his cousin to explode. He knew how much the man loathed those families.

Yet he was pleasantly surprised when his cousin simply said. “Do what you must. But ensure you know what you are getting into.”

Richard nodded. “Of course.” His cousin nodded and then rose, Richard rose as well, and watched as his cousin walked to the door. The man stopped suddenly and said.

“Make sure you don’t stay too long in the Old Town. My house is open to you.”

Richard nodded. “Thank you, cousin.”

Richard saw his cousin smile and then watched him walk out of the room. He took a breath once the door shut, and then put his own thoughts together and walked out of the room as well. He had a lot of planning to do.

Chapter 96: Affairs Of The Heart
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 96: Affairs Of The Heart

August, 1612

Gustavus felt tired to his very bones. He knew that he couldn’t keep working at the same frenetic pace that he had been working at until now, but he also knew that he had to make a statement. He had to show his advisors that he was able to handle the pressure, and he had to show the woman in front of him that being with Ebba was not going to stop him from being a great King.

His mother Christina was opposed to the marriage that Gustavus wanted, he knew, but if he could bring her round, he was sure that all would be well. To that end he took a deep breath and said. “I know you don’t approve, but I think it would be a good marriage.”

His mother raised an eyebrow and replied. “With respect, Your Majesty, I think you are mistaken. Lady Brahe is not a foreign bride, she is from a local family, one that will expect influence and positions of power if the marriage goes ahead. Your uncle’s marriage did not end well.”

Gustavus looked at his mother and said. “I am not my uncle.” He was strong willed and stubborn like his mother.

“I know.” Mother replied softly. “But you cannot deny that they will expect influence, Your Majesty.”

“And you think any foreign woman that I marry won’t try and bring influence for her family?” Gustavus demanded.

Mother sighed. “They won’t succeed. There are ways you can control a foreign bride that you can’t control a domestic marriage.”

“Ebba’s father is my vassal; he wouldn’t betray me.” Gustavus said, if the man even thought of it, he’d execute him.

Mother looked as though she wanted to snap, instead, she took a deep breath and said. “It is not a case of her father betraying you, Sire, it is a case of him seeking to use his daughter to enrich himself and his family. That is not something Sweden can afford.”

“How do you know that he would try to do that?” Gustavus demanded. So far it seemed as though his mother had no actual proof that this would happen and was instead relying on mere hearsay and of course that old chestnut of his uncle’s wife.

“Human nature.” Mother said.

Gustavus snorted. “I am not going to decide who I marry based off of something that is as unqualifiable as that.”

“And what about the envoys that have been sent to Brunswick and to Mecklenburg? Will you leave them with egg on their faces?” Mother asked.

“They have not come back with anything agreeable. Brunswick is stalling because of their alliance with the Danes, and Mecklenburg is Mecklenburg.” Gustavus said dismissively.

Mother looked at him and sighed. “Your mind is made up?”

“Yes.” Gustavus said. “And I know Ebba wishes to marry as well.” She had told him as much during the ball the other day.

His mother nodded. “So, nothing I say will make a difference?”

“No.” Gustavus said.

“Very well.” Mother replied. “Then you have my blessing.”

“We do?” Gustavus asked surprised, he’d not expected Mother to cave quite so easily.

“Yes.” Mother said. “If you both want to marry then I will not stand in your way.”

Gustavus smiled though a part of him suspected that there was another obstacle coming that Mother wasn’t mentioning now. “Thank you, Mother.”

Mother nodded then said. “However, if I may give you some advice.”

Gustavus braced himself for some withering take about Ebba or her family. “Certainly.”

“You must marry as soon as possible and sire a child as soon as you can. Do not delay.” Mother said.

“I don’t intend to delay.” Gustavus said. Indeed, now that Mother had given her consent, he planned on marrying Ebba within the month.

“Good, because Sweden needs stability, otherwise your cousin will start getting ideas.” Mother said.

“Why?” Gustavus asked, though he was already aware of what Mother meant.

“You are not marrying someone with a foreign connection; therefore, Sweden’s overall position is weaker. Sigismund might well consider that a sign that Sweden is completely weakened and decide to invade. Given the situation with Denmark, I do not know what would happen if he were to do that.” Mother said.

Gustavus doubted that Sigismund would invade, after all, the man was tied down in Russia, but he understood what his mother was saying. “And having a child, especially a son, with Ebba would show that the dynasty is not quite as unstable as it might appear.”

“Exactly.” Mother replied.

Gustavus nodded. “I shall ensure that everything is done before the end of the month.”

“Good.” Mother said. There was a brief pause and then Mother asked. “Was there aught else?”

“No, you may go.” Gustavus said. Mother rose, curtseyed, then straightened and departed. Gustavus watched her go and then sighed. He rang a bell and a servant appeared. “Get Ribbing.” Gustavus commanded of the servant, the man nodded and hurried away, returning a few moments later with the Treasurer.

“Sire.” Ribbing replied, bowing low. The man was starting to go bald.

“I want you to send letters to our men in Brunswick and Mecklenburg.” Gustavus said.

“Saying what, Sire?” Ribbing asked.

“That their missions are at an end.” Gustavus said.

“Your Majesty has decided on a bride?” Ribbing asked hopefully.

“I have.” Gustavus said.

“If I might be so bold as to ask who the lucky lady is, Sire?” Ribbing replied.

“Ebba Brahe.” Gustavus said.

Ribbing’s face did something rather amusing, it shifted between surprise, disappointment and relief all at once, making it seem like the man had had some sort of stroke. When the news had had time to settle, he nodded and said. “I shall write the letters right away, Sire.”

“Good.” Gustavus said. “You may go.” Ribbing nodded and then departed. Gustavus got up then, he’d go and find Ebba and tell her himself. He hoped she’d be happy; this was what they’d been wanting for some time after all.

Chapter 97: Union PT 3
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 97: Union PT 3

September, 1612

Henry looked around the gathered chamber, and nodded to various men as his eyes passed over them. He had decided to give the speech introducing the Act of Union before the Scottish Parliament today as he was the embodiment of that Union. His father had agreed, and though the Lord High Commissioner, Lord Dunfermline had offered Henry the throne, he had declined. He wanted to give the speech from the benches to better convey the message to those gathered.

Anna Maria had gone into confinement and as such was waiting for news back in Holyrood, but others from London, like John Harington and William Cavendish and of course his ever-faithful David Murray were sat in the viewing gallery waiting to see what would happen. Henry hoped that the Act would pass, that it had been agreed upon relatively quickly after the King had found a compromise for the Catholics was a good sign. He just hoped the stubborn lot amongst the Scottish Estates saw that.

The Earl of Dunfermline banged his gavel and the hall fell silent. “My Lords and Gentlemen, we are gathered here today to discuss something of great importance. A Union of Parliaments and of Kingdoms between our great and noble Kingdom and the Kingdoms of England and Ireland. His Highness the Duke of Rothesay has come to present the terms of the Union.” Dunfermline took a breath and then looked at Henry. “Your Highness.”

Henry rose, looked at Dunfermline and said. “Thank you, Lord High Commissioner.”

He looked away from Dunfermline and toward the gathered chamber. “My Lords and Honourable Gentlemen, we are here today as Lord Dunfermline said, to discuss a Union between Scotland, England and Ireland. It is something that has long been a desire of His Majesty the King. It is something that is desired here, which is something I know from speaking with you all at various points over the past month. Consequently, I believe that the Act of Union that has been agreed upon is the best possible Act that could be achieved and will bring benefits to Scotland all the constituent parts of His Majesty’s Kingdom.” Henry saw some murmuring there but ignored it and continued.

He fixed his attention on Lord Maitland, a man who Henry had always thought was as wily as a fox. “A new Kingdom must have a name, and it has been agreed that the new Kingdom formed from this Union will be entitled the United Kingdom of the British Isles, representing a current fact as well as historical reality. For the Almighty God has made us one Isle united in culture, language and faith.” He saw the Archbishop of St Andrews nodding in approval at this.

“The United Kingdom will have one Parliament based in Westminster.” Henry continued, turning his attention now to the more legal minded of the attendees. “It will be formed of the Lords and the Commons. There shall be no limit to the number of Lords who can attend Parliament from across the Kingdom, as long as they are of age and are of sound mind and body.” There was a slight murmuring at that, Henry ignored it and continued.

“In the Commons, the following number of members shall be elected from each constituent part. Scotland: 45 members, Ireland: 90 members, England: 513 members. These are divided into Borough Constituencies, County Constituencies and University Constituencies. Those of a Catholic disposition may stand to be a member of the Commons or may take their place in the Lords as long as they swear the Oath of Allegiance and recognise the supremacy of His Majesty the King on all matters not related to Rome.” Henry said.

Silence greeted that pronouncement, Henry felt that that could be taken either as a very good sign, or a bad sign. Either way, he would find out when it came to voting. He took another breath. “And then there is the economic situation to be discussed.”

Here, Henry could tell that everyone was interested. Indeed, as he looked up, he could’ve sworn that almost everyone was leaning forward. He repressed a smirk and continued. “All tariffs on goods moving between the Kingdom shall be removed, and there shall be a single market for the United Kingdom.” That was met with cheers, which subsided after a while.

“There shall be a single currency which shall be gradually introduced, though it is expected that all old currency from Scotland, England and Ireland shall be placed out of circulation by 1616.” Henry said. He thought the four-year grace period was perhaps a bit long, but the Chancellor of the Exchequer had insisted on it.

There was a brief pause as Henry caught his breath. He then finished with. “There shall be a single army and navy for the defence of the realm, and as the taxes for this will be paid to London, so too shall the taxes for all else be paid to London.”

“All existing Parliaments shall be dissolved and fresh elections for the first Parliament of the United Kingdom shall take place between November and December of this year, with the new Parliament meeting in January of 1613.”

He sat back down, and wondered whether he should have mentioned the flag, but remembered what the King had said to him before he’d departed. “The flag cannot be voted on, because it is ours, the Kingdom is ours, not the other way around.”

And so, he left it at that and waited.

The Lord High Commissioner banged his gavel and said. “Thank you, Your Highness. Now, let us proceed to the vote.”

“Those in favour, say aye.”

Henry raised his hand and said. “Aye.” He heard a large echo as countless other hands went up and ayes were said.

He noted a teller making a note of this.

“All those against, say nay.”

There was an awkward pause and then a few lone voices said. “Nay.”

Henry looked around the room and saw MacDonald of Sleat with his hand raised, and to his right, MacDonald of Keppoch. He frowned. They’d both said they’d support the Union. They’d been promised lucrative deals for their support.

A teller made a note and then handed the paper to the Lord High Commissioner, as did the other teller. The Lord High Commissioner opened the second paper and said. “The ayes have 240 votes.” He handed that paper back and then opened the first paper. “The nays have 10 votes.” A pause and then. “The ayes have it. The ayes have it.”

Henry breathed a sigh of relief, and watched as the Commissioner handed both papers back to their respective tellers, and took the sceptre from a servant, the Lord High Chancellor stepped forward with the document that was the Act itself, and the Commissioner tapped the sceptre to the document twice. He then proclaimed. “It is done, God Save the King and the United Kingdom of the British Isles.”

“God Save The King and the United Kingdom of the British Isles!” Henry and everyone else said.

Chapter 98: Union PT 4
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 98: Union PT 4

September, 1612

The door opened and a cold gust of air hit Aonghus, Chief of Clan MacDonald of Dunnyveg. “Shut the door.” He barked in Gaelic. The man who had entered did as he was bid and shut the door softly.

The man walked toward him and bowed. “Lord Aonghus.” The man said.

“Coll.” Aonghus said acknowledging his cousin. “Sit.”

Coll was a tall man, with a mop of auburn hair, and a dark auburn beard. He towered of Aonghus, and Aonghus was not a short man. Coll sat down and took a cup of ale that a servant handed him. “Thank you.” The man said.

Aonghus watched Coll take a drink from the cup and then asked him. “What news do you bring?”

“It’s not good, my lord.” Coll replied.

Aonghus frowned. What could’ve changed? The Union had passed with a large majority, which had not surprised him. But had his fellow Scots really given into everything that London wanted? “What do you mean?” He asked.

“Keppoch has turned, as has Ranald.” Coll said.

Aonghus closed his eyes. Ranald he’d expected, the man was not someone of honour, but Keppoch? He thought he’d raised that man better. “Who else?” He asked. If those two had turned others would turn as well.

“No one yet, but I have heard it said that the Earl of Argyll has been tasked by the Duke of Rothesay to meet the other Western Clans to discuss bringing them into the new administration.” Coll said.

“In what capacity?” Aonghus asked. They already gave their sons to be educated in Edinburgh and Glasgow, what other compromises would they need to make.

“Nobody is sure yet, but if Argyll is the one doing it then it can’t be good.” Coll said.

Aonghus grunted in acknowledgement. Argyll was ruthless like everyone in his family, and he had designs on the land that had traditionally belonged to Aonghus’ family. “Will he be coming here?” Aonghus asked.

“I think so, my lord.” Coll replied.

Aonghus sighed. Argyll, the man wanted Islay, the man had wanted Islay for a long time, as had his father and his grandfather. Aonghus and his family had resisted them, and they’d had the tacit support of the Crown in doing so. But now? Now that Aonghus had not been quite as keen for the Union, he wondered if that would be the case anymore. The King hadn’t come to Scotland since his coronation as King of England, and the Duke of Rothesay had destroyed the Macleods of Lewis. It was difficult.

“My lord?” Coll said then, tentatively.

“Do we still have a man in Edinburgh?” Aonghus asked.

“Mael Coluim?” Coll replied.

“Yes, him.” Aonghus said. Mael Coluim was from a cadet branch of Aonghus’ family, and as such, was someone who he had used to keep the family interest alive in Edinburgh. Whispering in Dunfermline’s ear now and then.

“He’s still there, Lord.” Coll said.

“Good.” Aonghus said. “Write to him and tell him to get into the Duke of Rothesay’s inner circle.”

“Lord?” Coll asked surprised.

“We need to make sure the Duke listens to us now, not Argyll. We must protect the integrity of Islay over everything else.” Aonghus said.

“Very well, Lord.” Coll said, though something about his tone made Aonghus asked.

“What is it?”

“Are you sure it is a wise decision to try and get someone into the heart of the Duke’s regime?” Coll asked.

Aonghus frowned, what was Coll hinting at. “Yes, I think it is. We must ensure that he is amenable to us.”

“Will he be though? You saw how he treated the Macleods.” Coll said.

“The Macleods committed treason.” Aonghus said.

“They were defending their home from an invasion.” Coll retorted.

“They broke their oaths.” Aonghus replied.

Coll looked as though he wanted to argue the point further, but wisely decided not to. Instead he asked. “How will you ensure that the Duke of Rothesay doesn’t listen exclusively to Argyll?”

“I will ensure Mael Coluim knows everything about the Duke, his likes and dislikes, how he sleeps, everything.” Aonghus said.

“How?” Coll asked.

“I have my ways.” Aonghus replied, mainly a spy network that had been used by his family in Edinburgh for centuries dating back to when they ruled the Isles.

Coll nodded and then asked. “What about the men?”

Aonghus didn’t need to ask what Coll meant. He’d ordered the man to raise a band of men to prepare and train in case things got heated. Right now, he didn’t think they’d be needed, but it couldn’t hurt to keep them around. “Keep them trained and armed. We must have them ready.”

“Very well, my lord.” Coll said, though he made no move to get up, which made Aonghus think that there was something else.

“What is it?” He asked.

“I received word from Roderick Matheson before I came here.” Coll said.

“And?” Aonghus asked, wondering what the young chief of Clan Matheson could want.

“It seems that Clan Gunn are causing him trouble again. Cattle raids and such.” Coll said.

“And?” Aonghus replied, such things were not his concern. Not anymore.

“He’s asked that we intervene.” Coll said.

“How?” Aonghus demanded. The boy had made it quite clear what he made of their old agreement the last time Aonghus had met him.

“He did not say, but I think it is quite obvious as to how he’d want us to get involved.” Coll said.

Aonghus sighed. “I am not going to break the King’s peace for this. Tell him that he must seek redress from Edinburgh.”

There was a moment’s silence where it seemed as though Coll would argue against this, and then he sighed and said. “Of course, my lord.”

“Is there anything else?” Aonghus asked.

“Nothing, my lord.” Coll said.

“Very well, you may go. And do not forget to write to Mael Coluim.” Aonghus said.

Coll rose, bowed and then said. “Of course, my lord.” Aonghus watched him go and then found himself wondering where the world was going. A union with England that saw the Scottish Parliament dissolved. It was madness.

Chapter 99: Kalmar
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 99: Kalmar

October, 1612

“Say it again.” Christian commanded.

“King Gustavus of Sweden has married Ebba Brahe, the daughter of Count Brahe, Sire.” Count Rosstein said.

Christian looked at the man and asked. “You are sure about this?” He couldn’t believe it. Had the young man truly thought with his little head?

“Yes, Sire.” Rosstein said. “We received the report this morning. It seems the wedding has been heralded across the Kingdom.”

“They must be getting delusional.” Christian said to himself. A marriage to a nobleman’s daughter. That was incredible. Especially when the man’s envoys had been trying to court Brunswick.

“What has the wider response been?” Christian asked.

“The Duke of Brunswick has been unmoved, Sire.” Rosstein said. “I believe he is more concerned with his son’s activities.”

Christian nodded, he had no idea what Rosstein was referring to and he didn’t care. “And the others?” Sweden had been courting Mecklenburg had they not? The Duke was a proud man, someone unlikely to take well to his sister being slighted.

“Mecklenburg is angry but has otherwise done nothing, Sire.” Rosstein said.

“Very well.” Christian replied. “Does King Sigismund know about this?” He figured that his ally would be able to use this to try and drum up some sort of support.

“He does, Sire.” Rosstein replied. “I ensured that his men were informed of it.”

“Good.” Christian said, he was trying to think of how else they might use this information, but nothing came to mind. Instead, he decided to focus on other more pressing matters.

Christian looked at Jens and asked. “How are the men coping?”

Jens didn’t need to look at any notes to reply. “They are confident, Sire. Confident that things will go as planned and that the Swedes will be forced to surrender.”

“Good.” Christian said. That was good, it meant morale was high, and when morale was high men were able to do incredible things. “How long can we withstand the siege?” The Swedes had come in numbers a few weeks ago, with battering rams and other such weapons. They hadn’t used the battering rams yet, which had made Christian suspicious.

“For at least another five months, Sire. Then we will need to find a way to bring food in.” Jens replied.

Christian nodded and looked at General Beck. “How likely is it that our ships could slip through any attempt by the Swedes to blockade us?”

Beck took a moment to reply, no doubt his mind was whirring through various scenarios. When he did answer, it was with grave solemnity. “Very likely, Sire, though there likely would be a fight.”

Christian nodded, he then turned to Jens and said. “I want men prepared for any such action.”

“Sire.” Jens replied.

Christian continued. “Who is it that is commanding the Swedish forces outside?”

“Constable Ryning, Sire.” Jens said.

“Ryning?” Christian replied, he’d never heard of the man.

“Yes, Sire. The previous constable died during an attempt to attack Your Majesty’s forces.” Jens answered.

“Ah, I see. And what is this Ryning like?” Christian asked.

It was Rosstein who answered. “Stubborn and firm, and fanatically loyal to the King of Sweden, Sire.”

“So, he cannot be bought?” Christian asked.

“I do not think so, Sire.” Rosstein replied.

“A shame.” Christian said. He really didn’t want to keep fighting for longer than he absolutely had to. He had achieved much of what he had set out to do, and though he would’ve liked to take Stockholm, he knew that doing so would cost a lot more in terms of lives lost and money spent, and truly he didn’t want to do that right now.

“How much longer can the Swedes continue the fighting?” He asked then, deciding to see whether he could force them to come to the negotiation table.

Rosstein hesitated in his response which suggested to Christian that the man wasn’t sure, or he was sure but he wasn’t sure if Christian would like the answer. When he did eventually answer, his words were softly spoken. “I am not sure, Sire. Some estimates say they are running out of manpower and money rather quickly, others that King Gustavus has taken a loan from the Dutch to keep fighting.”

“And which do you believe?” Christian asked.

“The former. I do not think King Gustavus is the sort of man to make himself indebted to anyone.” Rosstein replied.

“Why?” Christian asked intrigued, did the boy not have the stomach for the fight?

“Because he likely knows that with his marriage Sweden is on the bad side with a great many people, therefore they need to rebuild as quickly as they can.” Rosstein said.

“So, it is possible that he would be willing to consider negotiating a peace?” Christian asked.

Rosstein’s eyes widened in surprised, but he nodded all the same. “I think so, Sire.”

Christian considered this. Did he want to be the one to approach the Swedish pup first or did he want to force the Swedish pup to come to him first? He looked around and asked. “Would we be able to march for Stockholm when the season returns?”

General Beck answered then. “I see no reason why we should not be able to do that, Sire. We have ten thousand men, the Swedes have less than that, and if we can survive this siege their morale will have been broken. We can defeat them and march onward.”

“I think we should take it with some caution, Sire.” Rosstein said. “We may be able to do as General Beck says, but we might also find ourselves stuck here.”

“We won’t be stuck here.” Beck snapped. “I have ensured that.”

Christian could sense an argument was building so he held up a hand. “I want contingencies built up for both options. One for negotiating with the Swedes, and another for a march on Stockholm.” It was better to be prepared, that was what his father had always said.

“Yes, Sire.” Beck said.

“And Rosstein,” Christian said looking at the man. “make sure you don’t make too much noise.”

“Sire.” Rosstein replied.

Christian dismissed the men and then waited before ringing a bell, he smiled when his mistress appeared. He’d missed her.

Chapter 100: Bride To Be
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 100: Bride To Be

October, 1612

Elizabeth pushed down the nerves as she walked side by side with Frederick, Elector Palatinate and her groom to be. The official announcement of their marriage was to be made in a ceremony next week, and as such, they couldn’t link arms, as that would be inappropriate, but Elizabeth still felt close to him as they walked.

The Elector was handsome, he had a proper beard, and piercing dark brown eyes. He turned those eyes on her then and she blushed. “Is everything well, Elizabeth?” He asked in heavily accented English. She’d asked him to call her by her name after their second proper meeting-she didn’t want formalities, not when it was just them (though her chaperone, Lady Hay likely didn’t approve)-and as such she felt a little thrill at hearing him say her name.

“All is well, Frederick.” She replied. He’d insisted she use his name as well.

Frederick smiled, and Elizabeth felt her heart flip. “Very well, shall we continue?” He asked.

“Yes, please.” She answered. Frederick walked quickly then, Elizabeth matching his steps, she felt slightly bad for Lady Hay and then decided not to. The woman was a shrew.

They continued walking, Elizabeth admiring the rose bushes in the garden, when Frederick spoke. “I read the book you recommended, Elizabeth.”

“Oh?” Elizabeth replied, intrigued. She’d recommended a book entitled Musings on King Arthur. It was written by an unknown author and was all the rage at court. Indeed, if she remembered correctly, the King had commissioned several people to look for the author.

“Yes, I found it most intriguing, though I disagreed with one of the author’s main points.” Frederick said, switching to French, which she knew he found easier.

Elizabeth switched to French as well and asked. “Which part?”

“The point the author makes about Mordred killing King Arthur out of a desire to finally get noticed.” Frederick said.

“Ah, I see.” Elizabeth replied. She knew why he disagreed with that, most of the men she knew who had read the book disagreed with that point whilst Elizabeth, the Queen and almost every woman she knew agreed with it. “Why?”

“Because Mordred was himself a well renowned fighter, and someone who had ruled a division of Britannia for many years when the final fight with King Arthur came. Indeed, the division he ruled was granted to him following his excellent work against the Faeries. Why would he need King Arthur’s approval or recognition in order to fight and kill him? He already had it.”[1] Frederick answered.

Elizabeth considered this. She glanced at Frederick and saw that he was looking at her intently, no doubt wanting to gauge her response. “I can see where you are coming from, Frederick, but I feel that you have missed a key point.”

“Oh?” Frederick replied a brow rising. “And what might that be?”

“Mordred only rebelled against King Arthur because he felt King Arthur was paying more attention to his nephews than his only son. Furthermore, Mordred was the one who exposed the affair of King Arthur’s Queen, and he was punished for doing so.” Elizabeth said.

“So, you think he rebelled because he was angry?” Frederick asked.

“Angry and wanting his father’s approval.” Elizabeth said.

“So, then why did he kill him?” Frederick asked.

“He allowed Morgana to whisper in his ear and contaminate his thought process.” Elizabeth said.

“I see.” Frederick said.

“You disagree?” Elizabeth asked, stopping to properly look at Frederick, she couldn’t make out what he was thinking by looking at his expression.

He shook his head. “Not disagree, but it is something that I’ve never thought of before.”

“I see.” Elizabeth said. “Perhaps you need a more feminine perspective then.” She smiled at that and was rewarded by Frederick laughing.

“Perhaps I do.” He agreed.

She continued walking as did Frederick, as they walked she found herself wondering when they’d be married. Father had said they’d be married soon, but how soon, she did not know. She didn’t know if she wanted to wait for long.

“I also had some thoughts about the new Shakespeare play.” Frederick said.

“Which one?” Elizabeth asked, the Bard had written two new plays since he’d written Robert II.

A World Awakens.” Frederick replied.

“Ah.” Elizabeth said. That play was one that the Bard had apparently been commissioned to write by the King to celebrate the Union. It was an interesting one to be sure.

“Do the people truly see the Kingdom like that?” Frederick asked.

“Like what?” Elizabeth asked.

“A lion awoken from its slumber.” Frederick said, referring to main character of the play, a lion named Brutus.

“Yes.” Elizabeth said without hesitation. Whilst the wording might be on the nose, the message was fairly accurate as far as she could tell. Henry would be able to give a more rounded commentary she felt.

“I see.” Frederick replied, Elizabeth turned to look at him and saw him grinning.

“What?” Elizabeth asked.

“It’s just that reminds me of something I once heard my father say.” Frederick said.

“Oh?” Elizabeth said, it was rare to hear Frederick speak about his father, he never mentioned the man in letters.

“It is those who use lions in plays that one must look out for.” Frederick said.

“And why is that?” Elizabeth asked intrigued.

Frederick stopped then, prompting Elizabeth to stop, he looked at her and whispered. “Because they are most likely to bring the most excitement to your life.”

Elizabeth felt her breath hitch. “And is that something you would like?”

Frederick smiled. “If it’s with you, then most definitely.”

Elizabeth grinned. “Then I can promise you a lot of excitement.”

Frederick’s smile widened. “I look forward to that.”

Elizabeth felt her cheeks heat. “As do I.” She said. They looked at one another and Elizabeth felt heat run through her entire body.

[1] Yes, I’m aware that I’ve probably brutalised several of the King Arthur myths, but I’ve also taken a little bit of inspiration from a story my grandmother used to tell me.

Last edited:
    Chapter 101: Toast
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 101: Toast

November, 1612

James smiled as he looked around the great hall of the Palace of Whitehall. He was happy, incredibly happy. His daughter was to be formally betrothed to the Elector Palatinate, or rather she had been officially betrothed to the Elector in a ceremony today. This thing he was in now was the feast to celebrate. He was happy because he’d successfully achieved his first main goal. He had married his son to a prominent Catholic Princess and his daughter to the prominent Protestant Prince. Now they could get to work continuing his policy as a peacemaker.

An additional benefit was that his daughter seemed to get on quite nicely with the Elector. He glanced to his right and felt his smile widen as he saw them exchanging words and jokes, his daughter blushing at something the Elector had said. That was good, it was important that they got along. Very important.

He looked down at the food that had been served and found that he didn’t quite have the hunger to eat all of it. Instead, he grabbed his cup, and stood up. Someone, perhaps one of his groomsmen rang a bell and the entire hall fell silent.

James looked around the hall, seeing everyone’s eyes on him, he then turned to face his daughter and future son in law, and in perfect French said. “Your Serene Highness, dearest daughter, my lord and ladies, it is my honour to welcome you here today, for the feast in honour of the Elector Palatinate and my daughter’s betrothal.” He turned to face the entire hall.

“As a father it is my duty to arrange a good marriage for my daughter, and as a King it is my duty to ensure that that marriage is beneficial to the realm. I am pleased to say that in this marriage I have found that perfect combination.” He turned back to face his daughter and the Elector.

“It is clear to me that you make one another happy, and that is something I am immensely grateful for. I know you are perfect for one another.”

He turned back to the hall and raised his cup. “To His Serene Highness the Elector and Her Highness the Princess!”

The words were said back to him, he then downed his drink, and sat down.

The Elector stood up then. The man wasn’t as muscular as Henry, but he had the beginnings of what looked to be a solid gain, that was good. The man looked at him then and said, also in French. “Your Majesty, I thank you for your warm words, and for trusting me with Princess Elizabeth. I promise you that I shall treat her as the Princess that she is, she will want for nothing.” James nodded approvingly.

“I also wish to make clear that I see this friendship between our two Kingdoms as one that can stand the test of time. We are linked together in marriage and a shared religion.” The Elector said. He raised his cup then. “God Save the King and Princess Elizabeth.”

James’ cup was already filled when he took it and downed the drink in honour of the toast. The Elector sat back down, and James then asked him. “A very good toast, Your Serene Highness. Might I ask, how you have found your stay in Britain so far?”

The Elector smiled. “I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here, Your Majesty. There has been a lot of activity, a lot of things to see and of course getting to know my betrothed more is always good.” James nodded and noted how Elizabeth’s smiled at the man’s words. It was the sort of smile that James had seen Henry give Anna Maria before.

“Good.” James replied. “Is there anything else you would like to see before you depart?” The Elector had to leave for the Palatinate at the end of the month, supposedly there was some urgent business that required his immediate attention.

“Yes, there is, Your Majesty.” The Elector said.

Intrigued, James asked. “And what might that be?”

“I would very much like to see the raising of the new flag, Your Majesty.” The Elector said, referring to the raising of the flag of the new United Kingdom that James had had planned for the end of the month. The flag in question combined the best of the designs that had been proposed, the crosses of St George and St Andrew were represented, and Ireland was represented through the darker blue on the bottom of the flag. It was the perfect compromise, with the Royal Coat of Arms represented on the flag for his own personal standard-and for use in the future for government buildings.

“I am sure that that can be arranged.” James answered, indeed, he had hoped that the man would want to attend the flag raising, given its significance.

“Thank you, Your Majesty.” The Elector said.

James nodded and then turned to his left, allowing his daughter and her betrothed to talk. He looked at his wife, and asked her. “Are you well?” Anne had barely said a word the entire feast, and she wasn’t eating, which was rare for her.

Anne mumbled something then cleared her throat. “I am, thank you.”

“Are you sure?” James asked. “You’ve barely touched your food.”

“I am fine.” Anne said, in a tone that suggested she was anything but.

“If you say so.” James said, deciding not to get involved in whatever melodrama was affecting his wife.

Just as he was about to continue eating, Anne spoke. “Have you given any thought to what I said?”

James looked at her and asked. “About what?”

“About Rochester.” Anne said.

James groaned, he didn’t want to talk about this, not now. Thankfully he was saved by someone calling for him. He turned and saw one of his groomsmen standing there. “What is it?” He demanded.

The groomsman stepped forward and whispered. “Word from Edinburgh, Your Majesty.”

James’ heart quickened. “And?”

“Her Highness the Princess of Wales has successfully delivered a baby girl, Their Highnesses have named her Anne, Your Majesty.” The groomsman said.

“Excellent.” James said, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a few coins and handed them to the groomsman. “Thank you, now go and enjoy.” He watched the groomsman go and then turned and looked at Anne and smiled. This was excellent news.

Chapter 102: Mary
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 102: Mary

November, 1612

“Your Highness!” Mrs Robinson exclaimed as Mary ran away, she knew she’d regret doing this, but well, she wanted to be free, she didn’t want to be in the room just now. She ran past the guards, thanking her stars that the Queen had ordered them to give her free rein after her illness. She pushed the doors and ended up in the gardens.

She took a deep breath and then turned slightly at the sound of footsteps, she snorted and ran on. Mrs Robinson wasn’t that quick, and Mary knew if she kept going for a little while, the woman wouldn’t be able to find her, so she kept going. She turned right, then left, then right again, moving through the passageways, ignoring the courtiers who started whispering. She hated them, the insects that they were.

Mary stopped when she came to a little hedge that blocked out the light, there was a little opening for her and she moved into it, shimmying down and up and then resting there, against the small plant that was there. She knew it would dirty her dress, but she didn’t care. She wanted some peace.

Peace. Pah, that was something she didn’t know. Mary didn’t know why she felt like this, but ever since Elizabeth’s betrothal feast, Mary had been scared. Something about being the only girl in the family had terrified her. it had created all sorts of nightmares and she didn’t want to think about that.

Mary sighed, she should probably go back to Mrs Robinson now, she didn’t want the woman to get in trouble. At least not because of what Mary had done, really Mrs Robinson was a nice lady, slightly old and perhaps not the sharpest, but she was nice and she put up with a lot. Mary started to move when she heard a rustle and stopped.

“Mary? Are you there?” A voice called out.

Mary considered remaining silent, she didn’t want her sister seeing her like this.

“Mary?” Elizabeth called out again, something like panic in her voice.

Mary sighed, she didn’t want Elizabeth to worry either. She shifted and then pushed her way out of the bush, blowing some leaves away. “I’m here.” She replied.

Elizabeth turned, her cheeks were rosy. “Why did you run?” Elizabeth immediately asked.

Mary shifted, embarrassed, if she told Elizabeth the truth, her sister would think she was nothing more than a baby and she didn’t want that. But Elizabeth was giving her a look that suggested she wouldn’t let the matter drop until Mary answered her, and so she sighed and said. “I…I didn’t want to be in there anymore.”

“Why?” Elizabeth asked.

“Because it doesn’t feel like home!” Mary said then, her voice going high.

“What do you mean?” Elizabeth asked frowning.

“Well, you’re going soon, and Charles and Robert are boys. Mother never does anything that we do, it doesn’t feel like home.” Mary said, hoping that her explanation made sense, she’d never tried to put it into words before.

“Oh, Mary, sweetheart.” Elizabeth said, crouching down to look Mary in the eye. “I’m not going just yet.”

“But you are going.” Mary said.

“I know, Mary, but I am here until March.” Elizabeth replied soothingly. “We still have plenty of time to do lots of activities together, and I can make sure that Mrs Robinson knows what to do once I am gone.”

“You will?” Mary asked, her eyes wide. Mrs Robinson didn’t seem the type to do those sorts of things, but Elizabeth had a habit of getting people to do the things she wanted them to do.

“Yes, of course, anything for you, sweetheart.” Elizabeth replied.

Mary rushed forward and hugged Elizabeth then. “Thank you!” She squealed.

Elizabeth chuckled. “Of course.” There was a brief pause and then her elder sister asked. “Now why were you hiding in that bush?”

Mary blushed and pulled back to look at her sister properly. “Sometimes I come here to hide and think when Robert’s being too much.”

“Oh?” Elizabeth replied. “And what do you think about when you come here?”

“I think about a lot of things.” Mary said. “Like how I want to go sailing when I am old enough to. Like how I want to be able to see the world, and how I want to do so many other things.”

Elizabeth nodded and asked. “Have you asked Robert if he’ll take you on his ship?”

Mary nodded. “I did, he said ships weren’t for women.”

Elizabeth snorted. “Well, you’re not going to let him get in the way of your desire, are you?”

“I don’t know how to convince him.” Mary said, it was true, she’d thought of everything and hadn’t been able to find a solution.

“You don’t need Robert, you can go to Henry, he’ll be sure to give you what you want.” Elizabeth said.

“He will?” Mary replied uncertainly, she didn’t know, Henry was so much older than her and he scared her a little.

“He will.” Elizabeth said, she rose to her full height then and said. “Especially if I come with you when you ask him.”

“You will?” Mary asked surprised.

“Of course, what else are older sisters for?” Elizabeth replied. Elizabeth extended her hand then and Mary took it happily. “Come now, let’s go back and find Mrs Robinson.”

Reluctantly, Mary walked with Elizabeth, taking the pathways and feeling slightly better. At least Elizabeth wasn’t mad at her, that was what mattered. She could handle Mrs Robinson being mad at her, Mrs Robinson was harmless in the grand scheme of things really.

“Here we are.” Elizabeth said. “Mrs Robinson.”

The elderly Mrs Robinson turned and hurried toward them. “Your Highnesses!”

“It’s fine, Mrs Robinson.” Elizabeth said soothingly. “She just needed some air, didn’t you, Mary?”

Mary looked at Elizabeth and took the hint, she looked at Mrs Robinson and said. “I am sorry for running away, Mrs Robinson, it won’t happen again.”

Mrs Robinson nodded and then said. “Come, the Queen has asked that you both attend her.” Mary looked at Elizabeth wondering what that could be about, but then walked in with Elizabeth as she moved into the Palace.

Chapter 103: Holy Roman Emperor
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 103: Holy Roman Emperor

December, 1612

Matthias repressed a groan. His body was aching, his mind was aching. Everything was aching. Old age was catching up with him, combined with the stress from wearing Charlemagne’s crown and he wasn’t sure just how long he’d be able to keep going for. The only thing that stopped him from caving in and throwing in the towel was the fact that he needed to leave something for his son. Only that was granting him any sort of rest.

He took a moment and then looked at his chief advisor and asked. “Well, Klesl, what word do you have for me?” Matthias had asked his chief advisor to look into causing discord within the Protestant Union, mainly as part of Matthias’ plans to try and keep the peace within the Empire.

Klesl smacked his lips together and then answered. “I have some good news and some bad news, Sire.”

“Start with the bad news first.” Matthias said.

“The efforts of the Protestant Union to formulate a cohesive strategy are slowly coming together. Led by the Elector Palatinate and his chancellor.” Klesl said.

“And what strategy are they moving toward?” Matthias asked. As long as it wasn’t outright warfare, Matthias didn’t care.

“A move to coordinate their policies within the Empire and their interactions with you, Sire.” Klesl said.

Matthias frowned. “In what manner?”

“The manner is not yet clear, but suffice it to say that it looks to be for a weakening of Imperial authority, Sire.” Klesl said.

Matthias sighed. The damned Princes and their damned desires to weaken the authority of his office. Did they not understand that they were weakening the Empire by pursuing such policies? He took another breath and then asked. “And what is the good news?”

“The good news is that the Elector of Saxony has refused to join the Union. The whispering campaign that Your Imperial Majesty instituted has worked, Sire.” Klesl said.

“Excellent.” Matthias replied. He had met the Elector of Saxony once, during the vote that had conferred the Imperial Mantle onto him, and he had liked him.

“Needless to say this has caused some consternation amongst the Union, and the Elector of Brandenburg has begun a whispering campaign of his own against Saxony.” Klesl added.

“Saying what?” Matthias asked. He had also met Brandenburg at the vote, and had despised him from then on in.

“That Saxony is not a committed Protestant, that he will venture back to Catholicism, all the usual things that those type of people say.” Klesl said.

“And what impact has this had?” Matthias asked, he knew that Saxony would likely shrug such a thing off, but others might perk up at it.

“None. Nobody takes Brandenburg seriously.” Klesl said.

Matthias laughed. That was good news. “Very well.”

A moment passed and then another, then Matthias said. “I have given some thought to your suggestion about Bohemia.” Klesl had suggested using covert methods such as a pamphlet campaign to undermine the Protestants within the Kingdom. Matthias had initially been against it, but after going over it, he had changed his mind. What harm could it do? Especially if it was done anonymously.

“Oh? Please do go on, Your Imperial Majesty.” Klesl said eagerly.

“I am in favour of it, so long as it is done anonymously and there is no possible way that they could trace anything back to the Crown.” Matthias said. He knew what the Bohemians were like and he truly did not want to experience their wrath.

“Of course, Sire.” Klesl said. “I shall ensure that it is anonymous.”

“Good.” Matthias replied. “What will the range be?”

“If we get it right, it could well cover the entire Kingdom, Sire.” Klesl said.

“And you are sure that it will have the desired impact?” Matthias asked.

“I am, Sire. I do not think that there is such a commitment to heresy as the Protestant leaders would have Your Imperial Majesty believe.” Klesl said.

Matthias exhaled. “Very well, you have my permission to begin printing the pamphlets immediately.”

“Sire.” Klesl replied, making a note and then handing it over to a servant.

“There was one final thing that I wished to discuss with you, Klesl.” Matthias said, remembering what his wife had said and deciding to get this out of the way.

“Sire?” Klesl replied.

“The marriage of my eldest son and heir Maximilian.” Matthias said. “Who would you consider to be the most likely candidates?” It was important to him that his son be married to someone who was of the appropriate age and background so that his son’s position was secured after Matthias had gone.

“Well, Sire, normally I would suggest Spain as per normal Imperial policy, but they lack a bride who is of the right age.” Klesl said. “Therefore, there are two main considerations I would think.” Klesl shifted and then said. “The daughter of His Imperial Highness the Archduke Ferdinand, and Nicole of Lorraine.”

Matthias considered this and then said. “Lorraine would unnecessarily antagonise France, so it must be Ferdinand’s daughter.” He just hoped that the girl would not turn out like her father. Ferdinand was many things but pleasant he was not.

“Shall I get to making the arrangements, Sire?” Klesl asked.

“Draft out a preliminary contract but do not present anything until the children are slightly older.” Matthias said. He didn’t want Ferdinand getting any ideas after all.

“Of course, Sire.” Klesl replied bowing in agreement.

“Another thing.” Matthias said, the thought coming to him. “Has there been any word from Albert?” He’d written to his brother a few months ago to discuss the Imperial Succession, as Matthias was not vain enough to believe that he would live to see his son become a man, and thus wanted his brother to prepare for his eventual ascension.

“There has been one letter, Sire.” Klesl said. “It arrived earlier today.”

“And what does it say?” Matthias asked.

“Simply an acknowledgement of what Your Imperial Majesty had stated and a statement that His Imperial Highness will discuss the matter in due course.” Klesl replied.

Matthias grunted in frustration that was typical of his brother. “Very well, leave it.”

Chapter 104: New Parliament
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 104: New Parliament

January, 1613

Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk and Lord High Treasurer of the United Kingdom of the British Isles took a deep breath. The King had just departed having given the opening speech for the first Parliament of the Union. It had been a rather inspiring speech. The King had clearly not had anything to drink for some time, for his words were clear, concise and to the point. He had spoken of unity, of ushering in a new Arthurian age, and as Thomas looked around the chamber, he could see that the speech had clearly made an impact. That was good. That was very good, it would make his job much easier.

“The Lord High Treasurer, the Earl of Suffolk!” The Lord Chancellor Lord Ellesmere called out.

Thomas stood up and nodded to Ellesmere. “Thank you, Lord Chancellor.” He looked around the chamber and then spoke. “My lords, we all heard the speech that His Majesty gave. We all know what our purpose is here. Therefore, I shall get right to business.”

He inhaled, then continued. “To ensure that His Majesty’s plans for the Union go well, the first proposal for consideration is a bill for the funding of Berwick and Carlisle. Instead of keeping them as garrison towns, this bill would turn them into merchant towns over a period of four years. Replacing some of the garrison workings with features to make them friendlier for merchants and for trade.”

“In the case of Berwick this would include removing the restrictions that were imposed during the reign of Henry VIII and allowing all to trade freely in all wares allowed under the Crown’s permit.” Thomas said.

There was some murmuring and Thomas took that as a sign to push home the point. “Estimates compiled by the Treasury indicate that doing this would allow for an increase in income to the Kingdom of some £600,000. Especially if Berwick is allowed to reach its full potential, something that has been denied to it since the Wars of the thirteenth century.”

Thomas looked around the chamber again, fixing his gaze on the Earl of Morton, one of the border lords who would have an impact on whether the King’s plans worked. “Consequently, I implore all of you gathered here today to vote for this bill to give prominence and positivity to your fellow subjects.”

Thomas sat down. “Well done.” Robert Carr whispered to him from his right. Thomas nodded and waited.

“The Earl of Bedford.” The Lord Chancellor called out.

Bedford was a partisan of Suffolk’s having been won over through a bribe of a court office, something the King had only reluctantly approved. Bedford rose and nodded to the Lord Chancellor. “Thank you, Lord Chancellor. I only have one thing to say so, I shall keep it short.” Bedford looked around the chamber and said. “I believe that we owe it to the people to try and make this bill succeed. The people of Berwick and Carlisle have for too long been ignored. The time has come to rectify that.”

Bedford sat down. The Lord Chancellor then called out. “Lord Dacre!”

Thomas leaned forward with interest. Dacre was an interesting man, he held seats in Cumbria and Sussex, and came from a long line that dated back to the time of Edward I. In the Commons he had been quiet, but now, Thomas got the sense that he’d be far more vocal. Especially as Carlisle sat within his vicinity.

“Thank you, Lord Chancellor.” Dacre said. “My lords, I understand the desire to bring improvement to Carlisle and Berwick. It is something that I have often pushed for myself over the years. But I have one concern.” Dacre took a deep breath as if considering his next words carefully, he then continued. “If this bill goes through, what is there to say that once initial changes are made anything else will go through?”

“For shame!” Thomas found himself yelling, others joining in. Was Dacre seriously questioning the King’s commitment, was he seriously questioning Thomas’ own commitment?!”

Dacre, to his credit was not flustered by this sudden outbreak of opposition, instead he continued. “I am not one to challenge the King. But I simply do not want a commitment to be made if it is not guaranteed that those who are brought into it are able to keep it. The people of Carlisle and Berwick have experienced enough trauma and disappointment as it is.”

Dacre sat down.

“Lord Suffolk.” Lord Ellesmere called out.

Thomas stood up. “Thank you, Lord Chancellor.” He paused. He knew he needed to be careful about how he approached this. One wrong word and he would have jeopardised the King’s plans.

He fixed Lord Dacre with his gaze and spoke to him more than anyone else. “My lords, I understand the concern that something might go wrong. And I appreciate the fear that people might be let down. But I urge you all to consider what might happen if we do not do this.”

He saw Dacre’s brow go up and knew he had him then. “Lord Dacre is right, for too long the people of Carlisle and Berwick have been disappointed. This bill is a chance to change that. To remove the threat of war from their walls and to replace it with that thing that brings happiness, trade, commerce and profit.”

He looked away from Dacre toward the entire hall now. “Yes, there is risk, but there is always risk. We cannot live without first embracing the risk and conquering it.”

“Here, here!” Someone, maybe Rutland proclaimed.

Thomas smiled. “Finally, I urge you all to consider this bill and to take it in good faith. Our fellow subjects are counting on you.”

He sat down and was greeted by a round of applause. Thomas glanced up and saw Dacre was applauding as well, which caused his smile to widen.

The Lord Chancellor banged his gavel and said. “We shall break for lunch and then return for initial voting.” The man banged his gavel once more and then got up and departed through the back door. Thomas watched him go and found himself wondering who he could get to replace Ellesmere.

Chapter 105: Linlithgow
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 105: Linlithgow

January, 1613

Henry read through the letter that his former guardian, the Earl-now Marquess-of Mar had written to him and snorted. It seemed some things never changed. Court was a cesspit of scheming, with an added layer now that there were more Scotsmen and Irishmen in London. Henry didn’t miss it. Not at all. He had really enjoyed the last few months in Edinburgh, first in Holyrood and now in Linlithgow. Getting the chance to walk about, relatively untroubled, meet with people who he could handle and control and then spend time with his wife and their children.

He didn’t really want to go back to London, but he knew he had to. The King would not be pleased if his heir decided to remain in Scotland forever. He put the letter to one side and looked up to see Anna Maria looking at him intently. She was more beautiful than ever and Henry thanked God that she was his.

“What?” He asked.

“What caused you to snort?” She asked in return.

Henry sighed. “Mar has sent word from London. It seems the council is divided again.”

“Between who?” Anna asked.

“Those who follow Suffolk and Rochester who want to ally closely with Spain, and those led by Montgomery who oppose that position.” Henry said.

“Montgomery and Suffolk have separated?” Anna asked surprised. Henry could understand her surprise, Montgomery had been stuck to Suffolk for as long as anyone could remember that they were now enemies was very surprising.

“Yes, it seems the issue of Spain has divided them.” Henry said, that was something he was grateful for. Allying with Spain would be a great betrayal of everything the British Isles was meant to stand for.

“And where does Mar stand?” Anna asked.

“Somewhere in between. He knows why allying with Spain is bad form, but he is also aware of the commercial benefits that could come from it.” Henry said, he could appreciate Mar’s honesty. It was far more than what others had given him.

“And this doesn’t bother you?” Anna Maria asked surprised.

“No, at least he’s honest and I know he’s working for us.” Henry said simply.

“I see.” Anna Maria replied.

“He’s also been raised to a Marquess for his role in aiding the Union.” Henry said.

“He has?” Anna Maria replied, sounding somewhat surprised.

“Indeed, the King has also raised Suffolk to a Marquess as well, but Mar thinks that Suffolk doesn’t have the funds for the lifestyle.” Henry said.

“Why? Because he’s been busy bribing people?” Anna asked sarcastically.

“Yes, actually.” Henry replied laughing at Anna’s expression. “It seems he realised how vulnerable he was without Salisbury around and so has been trying to win people over with money.”

“And how is that working out for him?” Anna asked.

“About as well as can be expected.” Henry said. He paused then, trying to decide whether to mention the other thing that Mar had said in his letter. Deciding that it was better to say it than withhold it-he didn’t want to keep secrets from Anna-he added. “Mar also mentioned that Rochester has been trying to take control of Scottish affairs.”

Anna Maria frowned. “Why?”

“Apparently he thinks he can handle it all.” Henry said. He snorted when Anna laughed.

“And what has Mar done about that?” She asked, Mar was Secretary for Scotland after all.

“He’s shown Rochester some of the papers but has kept the main meat for himself. Rochester is grumbling but so far the King hasn’t ordered Mar to share more.” Henry said. “Which is surprising.”

“Why?” Anna asked.

“Because the King hates conflict.” Henry replied.

“True,” Anna conceded before adding. “But hasn’t he also been spending a lot of time with Villiers? Couldn’t that be why he’s not ordered Mar to concede to Rochester?”

“I suppose that is true.” Henry admitted, he wasn’t sure. Mother hadn’t said anything about Villiers in her letters and everything that Henry learned about the man’s time with the King came through second hand sources.

“Do you want to go back to London?” Anna asked then.

“Now?” Henry replied. “No.”

“Why?” Anna asked.

Henry sighed and said. “I’m enjoying being away from court, with you and our children. I don’t want to head back just yet.” Into the mess of intrigue and chaos that awaited.

“Good.” Anna replied smiling. “I don’t want to go back just yet either.”

Henry smiled.

“In fact,” Anna said. “I was hoping that we might be able to do some more travelling before we have to go.”

“Where would you like to go?” Henry asked.

“Dunfermline, to see the old Palace.” Anna Maria said. “Anne Drummond has painted a wonderful picture of it and I’d very much like to see it.”

Henry considered this. It would take them perhaps a day and a half to get to Dunfermline if they went via Edinburgh and took the ship over, or around three days if they travelled north and then swung east. He’d need to check with the nurses about whether it was safe to go by ship for Anna and their children, Arthur had been terribly sick on the journey from London and Henry didn’t want his son going through that again.

As if she could sense what he was thinking, Anna spoke. “I’ve checked with the nurses and the doctors, Anne should be fine travelling by ship.”

“You’re sure?” Henry asked.

“I am.” Anna said.

“And Arthur?” Henry asked.

“I think he needs to get used to travelling by ship.” Anna said.

Henry laughed. “Very well, we shall leave in the next week or so.”

“Excellent, I shall tell Urszula to prepare.” Anna said.

Henry nodded, he didn’t like the woman, but Anna had a passing fondness for her and so she remained. “Very well.”

He just hoped the woman learned that she wasn’t in charge anymore. That Anna wasn’t a little girl, but a woman and a mother. If Anna didn’t tell her, Henry would and he would make sure she remembered that. Only as a last resort of course. He didn’t want to infringe on his wife’s prerogatives.

Last edited:
    Chapter 106: Carr
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 106: Carr

February, 1613

Robert sat down and sighed. It had been another long and tiresome day. Arguing with Scotsmen and Irishmen about something or the other. Having to defend Suffolk when he made another faux pas. Robert was seriously considering asking the King for leave. Maybe he’d go and visit his estates in Scotland, the old lands that had once belonged to the former Earls of Strathearn, or maybe he’d just sleep. Either way, he needed a break. Otherwise, he feared he’d go mad.

“What’s bothering you?” Thomas Overbury asked. His friend had become slightly thinner over the interluding months and Robert was worried about him.

“Council hasn’t been going the way I thought it would.” Robert answered.

“Why?” Thomas asked.

“It seems that Suffolk isn’t as capable as I had thought. He keeps making mistakes.” Robert replied.

“Such as?” Thomas asked.

“Well, he very nearly implied that Lord Mountgarret was actually a Spanish spy earlier today, and almost revealed his own deep ties to Spain.” Robert said, it had taken Robert’s words to prevent Mountgarret from drawing his sword and killing Suffolk then and there.

Thomas raised an eyebrow. “How did he do that?”

“I don’t know. He said something and refused to back down and then Mountgarret took offence.” Robert said tiredly, what exactly had been said, Robert couldn’t remember, but he knew he was getting incredibly tired of having to sort out Suffolk’s mess.

“Does the King know about this?” Thomas asked.

“No, thankfully the King wasn’t in attendance.” Robert said, instead the King had been off cavorting with that Villiers boy.

“So, what are you going to do?” Thomas asked.

“What can I do?” Robert replied. “I have hitched my wagon to Suffolk now, if I abandon him, I will be ruined.” Largely because Suffolk held the cards for his marriage to Frances.

“Well, there is something that you could do.” Thomas suggested.

“And what is that?” Robert asked cautiously.

“You could ally with the Prince of Wales.” Thomas said.

Robert snorted. “How?” It was no secret that the Prince hated Robert, indeed, Robert was convinced that Villiers was the Prince’s doing.

“Well, you could offer him Suffolk on a plate.” Thomas said.

“And why would I do that?” Robert asked. “Suffolk has agreed to my marriage with Frances, I’m not going to jeopardise that.” Not for anything else in the world.

Thomas seemingly ignored the point about Frances when he replied. “Give him the information about Suffolk receiving bribes from Spain, or tell him that Suffolk is a danger to the Crown. The Prince hates Suffolk he will want him gone.”

“And what makes you think he won’t try and remove me at the same time?” Robert asked. The Prince was perfectly capable of doing something like that.

“Villiers.” Thomas said.

“What about Villiers?” Robert asked, wondering what that upstart had to do with anything.

“I have it on good authority that the Prince wants Villiers gone or balanced out.” Thomas said.

Robert got where Thomas was going with this and so asked. “You want me to position myself as the balance to Villiers?”

“Yes.” Thomas said.

Robert snorted, if this had been a few months before, perhaps it would have worked. But right now, the King spent more time listening to Villiers, more time with Villiers than he did with Robert. Robert was sure his time in the King’s orbit was coming to an end. “How?” He asked.

“Leave that to me.” Thomas said.

“Fine.” Robert said, though he maintained a level of scepticism about this.

“You can start winning the Prince over by giving up on your desire to get hold of Scottish affairs.” Thomas said then.

“What?” Robert replied. “Why?”

“You are only doing it out of hubris, Robert.” Thomas said. “We both know that you don’t know anything about Scottish affairs and care not a whit for Scotland other than to draw income from the lands you own there.”

“It is my right.” Robert said weakly.

“No, it is a distraction. You must focus on other matters. Like ensuring that the Prince of Wales doesn’t want you removed.” Thomas said.

Robert wanted to protest, but now that he actually thought about it, he didn’t really know why he’d been so insistent on getting the role of Secretary of Scotland. He knew nothing about the place, as Thomas said, and as Lord President he already had a pretty impressive role. Mar knew what he was doing in the role after all. “Fine.” He said then.

“You must apologise to Mar.” Thomas said.

“Fine.” Robert said, knowing that Mar would likely write about it to Prince Henry.

“And then once that is done, when the Prince returns you must beg his forgiveness.” Thomas said.

Robert raised an eyebrow. This sounded more like Robert humiliating himself for the benefit of the Prince, but if it meant he survived Suffolk’s fall, he would do it. “Fine.” He said. “But there is one thing I want from all of this.”

“Lady Howard?” Thomas asked.

“Yes, I want to marry her, and she wants to marry me. I want the Prince to guarantee that that will happen.” Robert said.

“I am sure that he will.” Thomas said.

Robert doubted it, but he still said. “Fine, then I agree to all of this. At the next council meeting I will apologise to Mar and give up pretentions to the office of Secretary of Scotland.” He just hoped that Mar would take it in good humour and not gloat. He couldn’t stand people who gloated.

Thomas nodded. “You will not regret doing so, my lord.”

“I had better not, Thomas.” Robert said fiercely.

Thomas nodded then asked. “Have you thought about visiting your estates in England, my lord. It might do you some good.”

“Perhaps I will.” Robert agreed. It would be better than remaining at court before the council meetings occurred.

“Do you want me to arrange it?” Thomas asked.

“Yes, do so.” Robert commanded.

“Very well, my lord.” Thomas replied, Robert nodded and dismissed the man, he had a lot of thinking to do.

Chapter 107: A Queen's Intuition
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 107: A Queen’s Intuition

February, 1613

“I do not like Lady Villiers.” Anne said then. Her ladies looked up from their sewing and it was Audrey, Lady Walsingham who replied then.

“Why so, Your Majesty?”

Anne looked at Audrey, Audrey was someone she had grown to trust, to love even, after all these years and Anne knew that what she said to her would not be repeated elsewhere. It was what prompted her to give an honest answer. “She is a grasping shrew of a woman. She is not content with her eldest being the King’s Master of Jewels, now she wants her daughters put into the Princess of Wales’ household and in Princess Elizabeth’s household. And she wants more favours and all of that.” Anne frowned. “It is simply not right.”

“Well, Your Majesty she is the one pulling her son’s strings.” Lady Walsingham pointed out. “Your Majesty knew this when Your Majesty started plotting to put Villiers in place of Rochester.”

Only Audrey could get away with this tone of voice, and as Anne looked around the room and saw the expressions on her other ladies faces, she knew that they knew that. She looked back at Audrey. “I know, however, I was foolish enough to think that I could control her.” Clearly she wasn’t or rather she hadn’t found a solution to the issue that she liked.

Lady Walsingham as always had a solution though. “Well, then, Your Majesty, perhaps we had best start going over what we all know about her and see whether we can find the weaknesses that way.”

“Yes, let’s.” Anne agreed. She took a moment and then said. “She talks too much.” The woman could outtalk anyone and anything.

“That means she’ll give something away eventually.” Lady Walsingham said.

“Will she?” Lady Bedford asked. “The woman always seems to know what she’s saying and when and how it’s being interpreted.”

“I think that’s something that she’s cultivated, yes.” Lady Walsingham agreed. “But I also think there’s a way to breach that.”

“How?” Lady Bedford asked.

Anne answered the question then. “Alcohol, that great leveller.” It was true, Alcohol could break through the defences of even the King’s spy master-she presumed-and as such Lady Villiers was of no match. “We need to make her feel comfortable and relaxed, and then we must ply her with alcohol.”

“I can get to arranging a meeting, Your Majesty.” Lady Walsingham said.

“Do so.” Anne commanded. “Make it before the wedding.” She didn’t want to have to worry about Villiers whilst also watching her darling girl get married.

“Of course, Your Majesty.” Walsingham said.

“Now, about Rochester.” Anne said, she’d heard some things about him from Elizabeth and she wasn’t sure just how true they were. She looked at the Countess of Suffolk and asked. “How serious is your husband in allowing the man to marry Frances?” She knew Henry was against it, but the King didn’t seem to mind, if indeed he knew about it.

The Countess shifted slightly, she had been arrogant before when her husband had first been named Lord High Treasurer but now seemed to have settled down. When she replied, she gave a measured answer. “I think that my husband is trying to assess his options, Your Majesty.” The woman swallowed and then continued. “Rochester is not betrothed to our daughter Margaret anymore and the grieving period for the Earl of Essex has ended. So, I presume that he is waiting.”

“For what?” Anne asked.

“For Frances to return with Her Highness the Princess of Wales.” The Countess said.

“And then you think he will agree to the marriage?” Anne asked.

“I think so.” The Countess replied.

Anne considered this. Did she want the marriage to go ahead? On the one hand tying Rochester to Suffolk through this and then seeing them both fall as a result was almost too good to be true, on the other hand she knew that Henry and Anna cared for Frances and wanted to avoid her getting hurt. Consequently, she took a breath and said. “Try and find another option for your daughter.”

“Your Majesty?” The Countess replied frowning.

“Rochester is toxic.” Anne said. “You don’t want your daughter tied to him. Find another groom for your daughter.”

The Countess looked quite surprised by this, but nodded and said. “I shall speak with my husband about this, Your Majesty.”

Anne nodded, then changed the topic of conversation. “I have received a letter from my brother.” Christian had written to her asking for her to intercede with James over the issue of the war between Denmark and Sweden, for some reason her brother thought that James might actually have some pull with the boy in Sweden.

“What about, Your Majesty?” Lady Bulstrode asked.

“Getting the King to get involved in negotiating a peace between Denmark and Sweden.” Anne answered.

“Do you think such a thing is possible, Your Majesty?” Came the question.

“I believe that if the King of Sweden has any sense, he will consider these proposals seriously.” Anne answered. She did not know what the state of the war was, but she suspected her brother was winning.

“And if he doesn’t?” Lady Bulstrode asked.

“Then he is a fool.” Anne said, she wouldn’t say that James would declare war on him, she knew her husband wouldn’t but there were other ways to hurt a Kingdom other than war.

There was a brief silence and then, a servant appeared, the man bowed and then straightened and said. “Your Majesty, there has been a letter from Whitehall.”

Anne raised an eyebrow, why was James writing letters to her now? “Well, hand it over.”

The servant nodded and pulled a letter out of a bag and handed it over to Anne. She looked at it and frowned, this was not in her husband’s hand nor did it contain his seal. Instead, it was simply blank. She opened it up and read it.

I know what you are doing.

It will not work.

I will end you.

She snorted. “Well, that’s something.” She handed the letter back to the servant and said. “Throw it into the fire.” The servant nodded and did as he was bid. Anne then found herself wondering who had written that threat.

Chapter 108: Wedding Pt 1
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 108: Wedding Pt 1

March, 1613

Anna nodded her thanks to the servant as the man put down two cups of sweet wine on the table before them, then looked at her sister, Elizabeth and asked. “Well? How are you feeling?”

Elizabeth was due to be married tomorrow, to the Elector Palatinate. A match that had been many years in the making. Anna was hopeful that Elizabeth would get to experience the same sort of happiness that Anna experienced with Henry, and judging by how her sister spoke of the man, she imagined that that was quite likely.

Elizabeth smiled. “I am excited and nervous.”

“Nervous?” Anna asked.

“I…I want the wedding to go well, but I keep thinking that something will happen to disrupt it.” Elizabeth said.

“Like what?” Anna asked.

“I don’t know.” Elizabeth said, she then leaned forward, prompting Anna to do the same and whispered. “I received a letter from Brunswick.”

“Oh?” Anna replied, she knew that Elizabeth hadn’t replied to any of the letters that her cousin of Brunswick had written to her since the announcement of her engagement to Frederick, so this would be intriguing. “And?”

“He said that he would come to London to stop the wedding.” Elizabeth whispered.

Anna snorted. “How?” She’d heard from Henry that apparently Brunswick had slipped into very heavy drinking, she didn’t imagine that he was in any state to do anything.

“I don’t know. But I wouldn’t put it past him.” Elizabeth said.

Anna took her sister’s hand and said. “He won’t do anything, Henry and the King won’t let him.” She knew Henry would probably beat Brunswick to death if he did try something.

Elizabeth nodded and leaned back. “But yes. I am very excited.”

“Good.” Anna said. “Frederick seems like a very good man.”

Elizabeth smiled then. “He truly is.”

“You are happy?” Anna asked, looking intently at Elizabeth.

“I am, very happy with the match. I think we will be very happy together.” Elizabeth said.

“Good, that is important.” Anna said.

“You sound just like Mother.” Elizabeth quipped then.

Anna chuckled. “Well, I am a Mother.” She would want her Arthur and Anne to be happy before they got married, despite what the men might think. Happiness was important.

“How are the children?” Elizabeth asked.

“Good.” Anna said smiling. “Arthur wasn’t sick on the journey down, and he’s been constantly babbling about it since.” Her son was now saying more than a few words, indeed as he approached two years of age, he was saying full sentences and was far more aware of the world.

“Oh? What’s he been talking about?” Elizabeth asked then.

“Various things. He is obsessed with ships and with Scotland.” Anna said.

“What is it with this family and ships?” Elizabeth asked then.

Anna laughed but before she could reply, a door opened and Henry walked in, holding Arthur’s hand. Arthur squealed with delight when he saw her and ran over to her. Anna hugged him and kissed his hair. “Hello sweetheart!” She exclaimed.

“What are you two talking about?” Henry asked then, Anna kissed Arthur’s hair again and then looked up at her husband, he had a bit of a beard growing, he looked handsome.

“The family’s obsession with ships.” Elizabeth commented.

“Ships are brilliant.” Henry said then. He came to stand next to Anna and their son and added. “They get you anywhere you need to go.”

Elizabeth snorted. “Are you getting your son into them early then?”

Henry grinned. “Of course.”

There was a brief silence and then Anna watched as Arthur turned to Elizabeth and said. “I….I…has a present for you, Aunt Elizabeth.”

“Oh?” Elizabeth asked. “And what might that be, sweetheart?”

Arthur looked at Henry who nodded encouragingly, and then he tottered toward Elizabeth, and pulled out a little flower from his pocket. He handed it to Elizabeth and said. “For the you, the second most beautiful woman in the world.”

Anna snorted, and Elizabeth playfully asked. “Who is the most beautiful?”

Arthur looked at her then and said. “My Mama!”

Anna grinned and Elizabeth laughed. “Of course.”

Arthur smiled and then ran back toward her. Anna picked him up and held him in her arms, he was getting bigger and heavier now, soon she wouldn’t be able to do this. The thought of that made her quite sad.

“Thank you for my flower, Arthur, it’s beautiful.” Elizabeth said.

Anna looked at Arthur and he looked at her and then at Elizabeth and said. “You are very wecome, Aunt Elizabeth.”

Elizabeth smiled.

“I just had a very interesting conversation.” Henry said then.

“With who?” Anna asked.

“George Villiers.” Henry said.

Anna shared a look with Elizabeth, why was Villiers speaking to Henry? What about? “About?”

“He wants to accompany Elizabeth to the Palatinate. It seems he thinks he will gain some experience by doing so.” Henry said.

“And what did you say?” Elizabeth asked.

“I said I would speak with you about it.” Henry replied.

“Well, should he accompany me?” Elizabeth asked.

“I think it would be useful.” Henry said.

“Why?” Elizabeth asked.

“Gives him a more worldly experience, and makes him more attractive to the King compared to Rochester.” Anna said then.

Elizabeth looked at her in surprise and Anna shrugged, it was true. The King liked people who could challenge him, and Villiers could do that.

“I’ll speak to Frederick about it.” Elizabeth said then.

“And I’ll speak to the King.” Henry said.

“Excellent.” Anna said.

Arthur squirmed in her lap then, so Anna let him go. He got down and ran to the far wall, and sat down, picking up a toy of his that had been left there. Anna looked at Henry then, she had thought that he’d gotten those toys and put them back in the boxes that they’d had made for them. Henry shrugged. “I must have missed one.”

Anna snorted and said. “Fine, but don’t miss it this time.”

Henry did a dramatic bow and said. “Of course, my love.”

Elizabeth snorted. “Honestly, men.”

Anna looked at her sister and agreed. “Men.”

Chapter 109: Wedding Pt 2
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 109: Wedding Pt 2

March, 1613

Elizabeth exhaled. She was a married woman now. The ceremony had been beautiful, conducted in Westminster Abbey, with what felt like the entire kingdom in attendance. She had cried, her father had cried, as had her mother. It had been wonderful. Frederick looked at her with such love, and oh, Elizabeth couldn’t believe she was married now.

She glanced to her right and saw her husband looking at her. She smiled. He smiled back and then whispered. “Are you well, my love?” Hearing him call her that in French still sent a shiver down her spine, she hoped it always would.

“I am, are you?” She replied.

“I am.” Frederick answered, he took her hand and kissed it. The shiver ran down her spine again.

Elizabeth was about to say something when the music started. She looked away from her husband to the centre of the Banqueting Hall, where the company of performers under her brother’s patronage and directed by Francis Bacon were about to perform. The masque that they were to perform had been commissioned by her brother, and paid for by the Inns of the Inner Temple, had been written by Francis Beaumont. The performers wore silver and gold, and different shades of blue and red. The music took on a solemn note.

The lead masque performer, a man with greying hair stepped forward. He bowed before her and her husband and then turned and grabbed the hands of another performer, and slowly moved around the hall. Elizabeth watched captivated as the two performers moved as one, seemingly linked together through more than just mind and body.

As the two lead performers invited others to join them, Frederick leaned toward her and whispered. “It’s exquisite, isn’t it?”

Elizabeth nodded. “It really is.” There was something about a British Masque that really captured the senses. The music was picking up peace now as new performers, this time dressed as Pan and Venus moved forward. Slowly shifting the tempo, Elizabeth felt her heart race.

“Did Henry write this?” Frederick asked.

“He commissioned it.” Elizabeth replied. She watched then as Venus gave way to Hera and Zeus, the two heavyweights who danced a furious reel, the music quickening ever so. There was an added heaviness to their movements given what was to come. Elizabeth watched captivated.

Zeus and Hera were shifting now, they were slowing down as the music gradually slowed. There was a steady triplet rhythm being performed by the musicians as Zeus and Hera bowed to one another and then to Elizabeth and Frederick. They stepped back and out came two new performers, who Elizabeth didn’t know. They moved elegantly and fluidly. The music was slowly picking up pace.

“Who are they?” Elizabeth asked Frederick.

“I don’t know.” Frederick admitted.

Elizabeth nodded and kept looking at the two new performers. She watched as they shifted and turned, the music gradually picking up pace. She wondered what they were doing to do to meet the increased pace.

As the music turned, she got her answer. The male performer picked up the female performer and together they turned at rapid pace. Elizabeth gasped. That was impressive. Frederick squeezed her hand.

Elizabeth looked at him and saw that he was looking at her intently. The Garter that he had been granted that morning was on his chest. He truly looked a sight.

The music was quickening then, but Elizabeth had a question for her husband and thus asked him. “Did Henry speak to you?” Why she was mentioning this now she didn’t know, but something about the music had reminded her of it.

“He did yes.” Frederick answered.

“And?” Elizabeth asked.

“I agree with him.” Frederick said.

“You do?” Elizabeth replied.

“I do.” Frederick nodded. “I think it would be good to have someone closely connected to the King helping us.”

“Why?” Elizabeth asked. She would’ve thought that Frederick would see the request that the King had made as infringing on his own rights.

“Because some of the advisors I have are not the sort who will respect you.” Frederick said.

“What do you mean?” Elizabeth asked intrigued.

“Well for instance, my brother-in-law is a stubborn one. Someone who thinks that a woman’s place is not helping her husband. And then there’s the Count Rosstein. He’s another one who was actually opposed to our marriage.” Frederick said.

“And you think that Villiers would help prevent them from trying to undermine me?” Elizabeth asked. She wasn’t quite sure how her husband was squaring that circle.

“I do.” Frederick answered.

“How?” Elizabeth replied, the music was quickening, she glanced to the centre and saw that the masque was reaching its conclusion.

“Villiers has a way with words. You, yourself told me this, Elizabeth. And he speaks German and French. He can be an asset.” Frederick said.

Elizabeth wasn’t sure she agreed, but if the King, Frederick and Henry were all agreed on the matter, she supposed she would have to agree as well. “Fine.” She said, keeping her attention on the masque, as it came to its conclusion.

“It won’t be forever.” Frederick said then, prompting Elizabeth to look at him.

“It won’t?” She asked.

“It won’t. Only for the first few months. The King wants him back before the year ends.” Frederick said.

Elizabeth snorted. “That’s good then.”

Frederick snorted as well, but said nothing. The masque reached its crescendo with the two new performers twirling and then stopping. They stood there, holding a pose for a long moment and then bowed. Elizabeth started applauding, followed by Frederick and then the entire hall was applauding.

“I’ll have to tell Henry that I really liked this.” Elizabeth said then.

“Agreed, he really knows his masques.” Frederick agreed.

Elizabeth nodded and continued applauding. Then when the performers rose, and bowed one last time, she stopped. The performers departed the hall and Elizabeth looked at her husband. She wouldn’t mind spending some more time here, with him. Not at all.

Chapter 110: Polish Councils
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 110: Polish Councils

April, 1613

Sigismund resisted the urge to stretch. It was damnably early-the problem with lacking sleep-and as such he was exhausted. Yet he knew that showing he was exhausted was about as unKingly as one could get. Therefore, he resisted and blinked rapidly. It was too early for wine, and so instead he drank some truly filtered down ale.

He cleared his throat and then looked at the Grand Treasurer and asked. “Give us a summary of everything.”

Mikolaj Danilowicz, the Grand Treasurer of Poland took a breath then replied. “Sire, the situation stands as follows. We are currently spending roughly 250,000 crowns on feeding and arming the army in both the war in Russia and against Sweden. This expenditure has been paid through a tax raised by the Sejm as well as through an additional levy on imports. However, the tax raised by the Sejm is due for renewal in June.”

“And will it be renewed?” Sigismund asked.

Mikolaj shook his head. “I do not think so, Sire.”

“Why?” Sigismund asked, were the Sejm blind?

“I believe there is some concern amongst the Sejm about the duration of the war and whether the objectives will be met.” Mikolaj said simply.

Sigismund snorted. On the one hand he could understand why they would wonder that, he was beginning to wonder it himself. On the other hand, he had learned early on that showing any doubt to the Sejm would result in a severe backlash in the long run. Consequently, he said. “The objectives will be met. We have nearly broken the Swedes down.” Well, that was more the Danes doing, Sigismund had sent a shock troop into the Swedish possessions closest to Poland and broken their defences before pulling them out. “We just need one final push.”

“And what of Russia, Sire?” Mikolaj asked. “Since Smolensk, there has been little successful activity there.”

Sigismund grunted, he knew Mikolaj was right, Russia was a noose around his neck, but he also knew that giving up there would look bad. “All it takes is the right whisper in the right ear. We’ve already got the pretender’s cousin in our hands, and he has rallied some of the disaffected.” Ideally, he wanted Wladyslaw crowned Tsar of Russia, but if that could not happen, he would rather have a puppet in charge.

“Then, I shall make the case to the Sejm, Sire.” Mikolaj said.

“Good.” Sigismund replied. “Make sure you make the points concisely and with clarity.” Otherwise, there would be some sort of blow back.

Sigismund then turned to the Grand Chancellor of Poland and asked him. “What news from Sweden?” He wanted to know whether his brat of a cousin had decided to accept the inevitable.

“Gustavus Adolphus is holding out for the time being, Sire.” The Grand Chancellor said. “It seems that he is as stubborn as his father.”

“And as treacherous.” Sigismund snarled. “What about our source within his court?”

“The source is doing their work, and trying to be as efficient as possible, Sire.” The Grand Chancellor answered.

“How long will they take?” Sigismund asked, very much aware of the cost implications of failure.

The Grand Chancellor shifted in his chair, clearly uncomfortable. “I am not sure, Sire.”

Sigismund groaned. “Well find out and report back. I want this business sorted out as soon as possible.” He knew the Sejm would demand results, and right now he had nothing good to offer them.

The Grand Chancellor nodded before adding. “There is some positive news though, Sire.”

“And what news is that?” Sigismund asked.

“The King of Denmark has broken the siege of Kalmar and appears to be marching on Stockholm.” The Grand Chancellor said.

“And this is good news how?” Sigismund asked. If Denmark got to Stockholm, they’d be able to force terms of Gustavus, terms that no doubt would benefit the Danes far more than they would Poland. That wasn’t something that Sigismund wanted.

“If it forces the Swedes to come to the negotiating table, we can force our own terms on them.” The Grand Chancellor said. “Concessions, both territorial and economic.”

And you don’t think that that oaf Christian won’t demand Sweden as an extra crown? Sigismund thought to himself. He knew full well what Christian wanted. Of course, being King of Poland, he couldn’t exactly say that. So, instead he simply said. “As long as we are not left out in the cold.”

The Grand Chancellor nodded. “Of course, Sire.”

Sigismund then changed the conversation to something that would hopefully bring more light. “And what word from Madrid?”

“Positive word, Sire.” The Grand Chancellor said. “The Spanish King has agreed to the terms proposed by Your Majesty.”

“Excellent.” Sigismund said. “And the dowry?” The dowry was important as it would help solidify Wladyslaw’s chances of becoming King after him.

“The King of Spain is offering 400,000 Crowns, Sire.” The Grand Chancellor said.

Sigismund considered this. That was only slightly more than he had paid for Anna Maria’s dowry. Would it be enough?

“The King of Spain has also offered an extra agreement. That of the Neapolitan debts which he believes would be of additional benefit.” The Grand Chancellor said.

“He would be right.” Sigismund replied, those debts alone would be a hefty sum, more than enough to give Sigismund some freedom to move.

“And when would he allow his daughter to come and be married?” Sigismund asked.

“As soon as she is of age, Sire.” The Grand Chancellor replied.

“Good.” Sigismund said, the sooner that Wladyslaw was married and siring children the better.

“Now if there is nothing else, you may depart.” Sigismund said. The ministers rose, bowed and departed. Sigismund looked over at his son Wladyslaw then and asked him. “And what did you make of all of that?”

“The Grand Chancellor is hiding something, Sire.” His son said.

“And why do you think that?” Sigismund asked.

“The way he shifted during the conversation. People only act like that if they have something to hide.” Wladyslaw answered.

“Good.” Sigismund said. “Trust your instinct, and keep an eye on the Grand Chancellor.”

“Yes, Sire.” Wladyslaw replied.

Chapter 111: Enticement
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 111: Enticement

April, 1613

Gustavus yawned. He was tired. It had been a long night last night, Ebba was still very, very active despite her pregnancy, and Gustavus was in no mood to complain. They’d stayed up until just before the sun had risen. Which had meant he’d delayed the Council meeting until just now. Probably something he shouldn’t have done given the seriousness of the situation, but, he was young and God was surely not going to let it all go to waste?

“Report!” He barked at Ribbing.

“The Danes continue their march unimpeded toward Stockholm, Sire.” Ribbing said.

“How far away are they?” Gustavus asked. He wasn’t surprised that Christian of Denmark had defeated the host he’d sent to Kalmar, it was always going to happen. Unless he’d gone, but nobody would let him go.

“Roughly a week’s ride away, Sire.” Ribbing answered.

“A week?” Gustavus replied. That was longer than he had thought. “How large is their army?”

“Roughly twelve thousand men.” Ribbing replied. “Some of them are recruits from the areas they have conquered.”

Gustavus nodded, he’d expected that, but it didn’t mean it didn’t sting. “I see.” He remained silent for a moment, thinking. He needed to consider every option here. A part of him was screaming to flee, to get out with his family and head north, let Christian take Stockholm and show how bad he was, and then return. Another part refused to agree, knowing that if he fled it was over. And a final part wanted to know if they could resist or whether negotiating would be better.

“What is our status like?” He asked then.

“Sire?” Ribbing replied sounding confused.

“What is the state of the trained bands within the city? What is the morale of the people?” Gustavus asked.

Ribbing shifted, indicating that he wasn’t really that secure. “I…”

The man stopped and looked around. “What?” Gustavus demanded.

“I do not think morale is high, Sire.” Ribbing replied.

“Why?” Gustavus demanded.

Ribbing raised an eyebrow as if asking if Gustavus was being serious. Gustavus could guess why morale was not high, but he wanted to see if the man had the guts to say it. Ribbing took a deep breath and then answered.

“The war has gone terribly, Sire.” Ribbing said. “Russia might slowly be stabilising, but against Denmark we have struggled.”

Gustavus waited, he didn’t say anything else, he merely waited.

Ribbing continued. “The people are scared. They have gotten used to freedom and they are terrified that that will end.”

Gustavus said nothing, he simply waited again.

Ribbing eventually finished off with. “Stockholm might fall and they do not know if Your Majesty will be there to witness it.”

Gustavus nodded. He had expected something like this. Perhaps his time with Ebba had been a distraction, perhaps it was his youth and inexperience. Still, he would need to reassure them. “And why do they think I will not be here?” He asked.

“Sire?” Ribbing replied confused.

“Why do they think I will not be here with them?” Gustavus asked.

“Because you are the King, Sire, and the King cannot be captured.” Ribbing answered.

Gustavus sighed. “That assumes that all is lost.”

“Sire?” Ribbing replied uncertainly.

“I do not think that all is lost. And I think King Christian knows that as well.” Gustavus said, giving voice to the thoughts he’d been toying with for some time.

“I’m not sure I understand, Sire.” Ribbing replied.

“Think of it this way, Kalmar fell weeks ago. It is not that far from Stockholm. Christian and the Danes should be here by now, but they are not, they are a week away. Why?” Gustavus answered. “Why would they be so far away?”

“I… I do not know, Sire.” Ribbing answered.

“Because they are scared. They think that we have more than we do. We can use that to our advantage.” Gustavus said.

“How so, Sire?” Ribbing asked. “Will you stand and fight?”

“No, I will do something better.” Gustavus said. “I will surprise Christian, by seeking to negotiate a treaty.”

“Sire?” Ribbing replied sounding surprised.

“I will ensure that we are protected. That Sweden as it stands now is maintained whilst Christian keeps Scania and the areas slightly to the north of it.” Gustavus said. “I will also agree to end my father’s obsession with avoiding the Sound Tolls.”

Ribbing shifted uncomfortably. “Are you sure that is wise, Sire?”

“Yes.” Gustavus replied. “You’ve said it before this war is costing us a fortune. We must end it, and if this is what must be done then it shall be done.”

Ribbing nodded and then said. “That would definitely be a smart move to make, Sire. Though I worry how the Riksdag would take the news.”

“Let me worry about them.” Gustavus said, he’d get his father-in-law to whip them into line. “What I need you to focus on is rooting out whoever is spying on us for my cousin.” His father might have been ignorant of it, but Gustavus wasn’t. His cousin definitely had a spy at court and Gustavus was determined to find out who it was.

Thankfully, it seemed that Ribbing had already anticipated this demand for he pulled out a piece of paper and said. “I have three possible options, Sire.”

“Go on.” Gustavus commanded.

“A servant, a cook or one of the courtiers.” Ribbing said.

Gustavus snorted. “Quite the range there. Narrow it down.”

“Count Posse has been known to frequent the quarter where Poles used to live when King Sigismund ruled Sweden. It is possible that he is the one passing information through.” Ribbing said.

“Posse?” Gustavus said, he’d heard the name before, where he wasn’t sure. “Does he sit on the Council?” The extended Privy Council that was.

“No, Sire, but his wife used to serve as the Mistress for the Dowager Queen.” Ribbing said.

“And she would be around hearing all sorts of things.” Gustavus mused, his mother wasn’t always that discreet, especially when she’d been drinking.

“Exactly, Sire.” Ribbing said.

“Keep looking and find definitive proof. I will need to offer something to the Riksdag to make them lessen their howls.” Gustavus said. Ribbing nodded and Gustavus dismissed him. He had a lot of thinking to do.