Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Chapter 106: Carr

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 106: Carr

February, 1613

Robert sat down and sighed. It had been another long and tiresome day. Arguing with Scotsmen and Irishmen about something or the other. Having to defend Suffolk when he made another faux pas. Robert was seriously considering asking the King for leave. Maybe he’d go and visit his estates in Scotland, the old lands that had once belonged to the former Earls of Strathearn, or maybe he’d just sleep. Either way, he needed a break. Otherwise, he feared he’d go mad.

“What’s bothering you?” Thomas Overbury asked. His friend had become slightly thinner over the interluding months and Robert was worried about him.

“Council hasn’t been going the way I thought it would.” Robert answered.

“Why?” Thomas asked.

“It seems that Suffolk isn’t as capable as I had thought. He keeps making mistakes.” Robert replied.

“Such as?” Thomas asked.

“Well, he very nearly implied that Lord Mountgarret was actually a Spanish spy earlier today, and almost revealed his own deep ties to Spain.” Robert said, it had taken Robert’s words to prevent Mountgarret from drawing his sword and killing Suffolk then and there.

Thomas raised an eyebrow. “How did he do that?”

“I don’t know. He said something and refused to back down and then Mountgarret took offence.” Robert said tiredly, what exactly had been said, Robert couldn’t remember, but he knew he was getting incredibly tired of having to sort out Suffolk’s mess.

“Does the King know about this?” Thomas asked.

“No, thankfully the King wasn’t in attendance.” Robert said, instead the King had been off cavorting with that Villiers boy.

“So, what are you going to do?” Thomas asked.

“What can I do?” Robert replied. “I have hitched my wagon to Suffolk now, if I abandon him, I will be ruined.” Largely because Suffolk held the cards for his marriage to Frances.

“Well, there is something that you could do.” Thomas suggested.

“And what is that?” Robert asked cautiously.

“You could ally with the Prince of Wales.” Thomas said.

Robert snorted. “How?” It was no secret that the Prince hated Robert, indeed, Robert was convinced that Villiers was the Prince’s doing.

“Well, you could offer him Suffolk on a plate.” Thomas said.

“And why would I do that?” Robert asked. “Suffolk has agreed to my marriage with Frances, I’m not going to jeopardise that.” Not for anything else in the world.

Thomas seemingly ignored the point about Frances when he replied. “Give him the information about Suffolk receiving bribes from Spain, or tell him that Suffolk is a danger to the Crown. The Prince hates Suffolk he will want him gone.”

“And what makes you think he won’t try and remove me at the same time?” Robert asked. The Prince was perfectly capable of doing something like that.

“Villiers.” Thomas said.

“What about Villiers?” Robert asked, wondering what that upstart had to do with anything.

“I have it on good authority that the Prince wants Villiers gone or balanced out.” Thomas said.

Robert got where Thomas was going with this and so asked. “You want me to position myself as the balance to Villiers?”

“Yes.” Thomas said.

Robert snorted, if this had been a few months before, perhaps it would have worked. But right now, the King spent more time listening to Villiers, more time with Villiers than he did with Robert. Robert was sure his time in the King’s orbit was coming to an end. “How?” He asked.

“Leave that to me.” Thomas said.

“Fine.” Robert said, though he maintained a level of scepticism about this.

“You can start winning the Prince over by giving up on your desire to get hold of Scottish affairs.” Thomas said then.

“What?” Robert replied. “Why?”

“You are only doing it out of hubris, Robert.” Thomas said. “We both know that you don’t know anything about Scottish affairs and care not a whit for Scotland other than to draw income from the lands you own there.”

“It is my right.” Robert said weakly.

“No, it is a distraction. You must focus on other matters. Like ensuring that the Prince of Wales doesn’t want you removed.” Thomas said.

Robert wanted to protest, but now that he actually thought about it, he didn’t really know why he’d been so insistent on getting the role of Secretary of Scotland. He knew nothing about the place, as Thomas said, and as Lord President he already had a pretty impressive role. Mar knew what he was doing in the role after all. “Fine.” He said then.

“You must apologise to Mar.” Thomas said.

“Fine.” Robert said, knowing that Mar would likely write about it to Prince Henry.

“And then once that is done, when the Prince returns you must beg his forgiveness.” Thomas said.

Robert raised an eyebrow. This sounded more like Robert humiliating himself for the benefit of the Prince, but if it meant he survived Suffolk’s fall, he would do it. “Fine.” He said. “But there is one thing I want from all of this.”

“Lady Howard?” Thomas asked.

“Yes, I want to marry her, and she wants to marry me. I want the Prince to guarantee that that will happen.” Robert said.

“I am sure that he will.” Thomas said.

Robert doubted it, but he still said. “Fine, then I agree to all of this. At the next council meeting I will apologise to Mar and give up pretentions to the office of Secretary of Scotland.” He just hoped that Mar would take it in good humour and not gloat. He couldn’t stand people who gloated.

Thomas nodded. “You will not regret doing so, my lord.”

“I had better not, Thomas.” Robert said fiercely.

Thomas nodded then asked. “Have you thought about visiting your estates in England, my lord. It might do you some good.”

“Perhaps I will.” Robert agreed. It would be better than remaining at court before the council meetings occurred.

“Do you want me to arrange it?” Thomas asked.

“Yes, do so.” Robert commanded.

“Very well, my lord.” Thomas replied, Robert nodded and dismissed the man, he had a lot of thinking to do.

You play the game well Thomas Overbury, very well.

Carr and Henry collaborating? You know I could see that working, esp if it got rid of Suffolk. Though I cannot see Suffolk going quietly into the night...

Lord President is a good title and a lot of work, why Carr would need more work on top of that I have no idea, esp what happened to Salisbury.

Getting on the Prince's good side since you will still be around when he is King is a very good career move too.

VVD0D95

Banned
You play the game well Thomas Overbury, very well.

Carr and Henry collaborating? You know I could see that working, esp if it got rid of Suffolk. Though I cannot see Suffolk going quietly into the night...

Lord President is a good title and a lot of work, why Carr would need more work on top of that I have no idea, esp what happened to Salisbury.

Getting on the Prince's good side since you will still be around when he is King is a very good career move too.
Indeed it is. As to why Carr wants more work? Patronage networks. Make himself too big to fall

Chapter 107: A Queen's Intuition

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 107: A Queen’s Intuition

February, 1613

“I do not like Lady Villiers.” Anne said then. Her ladies looked up from their sewing and it was Audrey, Lady Walsingham who replied then.

“Why so, Your Majesty?”

Anne looked at Audrey, Audrey was someone she had grown to trust, to love even, after all these years and Anne knew that what she said to her would not be repeated elsewhere. It was what prompted her to give an honest answer. “She is a grasping shrew of a woman. She is not content with her eldest being the King’s Master of Jewels, now she wants her daughters put into the Princess of Wales’ household and in Princess Elizabeth’s household. And she wants more favours and all of that.” Anne frowned. “It is simply not right.”

“Well, Your Majesty she is the one pulling her son’s strings.” Lady Walsingham pointed out. “Your Majesty knew this when Your Majesty started plotting to put Villiers in place of Rochester.”

Only Audrey could get away with this tone of voice, and as Anne looked around the room and saw the expressions on her other ladies faces, she knew that they knew that. She looked back at Audrey. “I know, however, I was foolish enough to think that I could control her.” Clearly she wasn’t or rather she hadn’t found a solution to the issue that she liked.

Lady Walsingham as always had a solution though. “Well, then, Your Majesty, perhaps we had best start going over what we all know about her and see whether we can find the weaknesses that way.”

“Yes, let’s.” Anne agreed. She took a moment and then said. “She talks too much.” The woman could outtalk anyone and anything.

“That means she’ll give something away eventually.” Lady Walsingham said.

“Will she?” Lady Bedford asked. “The woman always seems to know what she’s saying and when and how it’s being interpreted.”

“I think that’s something that she’s cultivated, yes.” Lady Walsingham agreed. “But I also think there’s a way to breach that.”

“How?” Lady Bedford asked.

Anne answered the question then. “Alcohol, that great leveller.” It was true, Alcohol could break through the defences of even the King’s spy master-she presumed-and as such Lady Villiers was of no match. “We need to make her feel comfortable and relaxed, and then we must ply her with alcohol.”

“I can get to arranging a meeting, Your Majesty.” Lady Walsingham said.

“Do so.” Anne commanded. “Make it before the wedding.” She didn’t want to have to worry about Villiers whilst also watching her darling girl get married.

“Of course, Your Majesty.” Walsingham said.

“Now, about Rochester.” Anne said, she’d heard some things about him from Elizabeth and she wasn’t sure just how true they were. She looked at the Countess of Suffolk and asked. “How serious is your husband in allowing the man to marry Frances?” She knew Henry was against it, but the King didn’t seem to mind, if indeed he knew about it.

The Countess shifted slightly, she had been arrogant before when her husband had first been named Lord High Treasurer but now seemed to have settled down. When she replied, she gave a measured answer. “I think that my husband is trying to assess his options, Your Majesty.” The woman swallowed and then continued. “Rochester is not betrothed to our daughter Margaret anymore and the grieving period for the Earl of Essex has ended. So, I presume that he is waiting.”

“For what?” Anne asked.

“For Frances to return with Her Highness the Princess of Wales.” The Countess said.

“And then you think he will agree to the marriage?” Anne asked.

“I think so.” The Countess replied.

Anne considered this. Did she want the marriage to go ahead? On the one hand tying Rochester to Suffolk through this and then seeing them both fall as a result was almost too good to be true, on the other hand she knew that Henry and Anna cared for Frances and wanted to avoid her getting hurt. Consequently, she took a breath and said. “Try and find another option for your daughter.”

“Your Majesty?” The Countess replied frowning.

“Rochester is toxic.” Anne said. “You don’t want your daughter tied to him. Find another groom for your daughter.”

The Countess looked quite surprised by this, but nodded and said. “I shall speak with my husband about this, Your Majesty.”

Anne nodded, then changed the topic of conversation. “I have received a letter from my brother.” Christian had written to her asking for her to intercede with James over the issue of the war between Denmark and Sweden, for some reason her brother thought that James might actually have some pull with the boy in Sweden.

“What about, Your Majesty?” Lady Bulstrode asked.

“Getting the King to get involved in negotiating a peace between Denmark and Sweden.” Anne answered.

“Do you think such a thing is possible, Your Majesty?” Came the question.

“I believe that if the King of Sweden has any sense, he will consider these proposals seriously.” Anne answered. She did not know what the state of the war was, but she suspected her brother was winning.

“And if he doesn’t?” Lady Bulstrode asked.

“Then he is a fool.” Anne said, she wouldn’t say that James would declare war on him, she knew her husband wouldn’t but there were other ways to hurt a Kingdom other than war.

There was a brief silence and then, a servant appeared, the man bowed and then straightened and said. “Your Majesty, there has been a letter from Whitehall.”

Anne raised an eyebrow, why was James writing letters to her now? “Well, hand it over.”

The servant nodded and pulled a letter out of a bag and handed it over to Anne. She looked at it and frowned, this was not in her husband’s hand nor did it contain his seal. Instead, it was simply blank. She opened it up and read it.

I know what you are doing.

It will not work.

I will end you.

She snorted. “Well, that’s something.” She handed the letter back to the servant and said. “Throw it into the fire.” The servant nodded and did as he was bid. Anne then found herself wondering who had written that threat.

Deleted member 147978

The disgusting bastard who wrote that death threat to Queen Anne shall be hanged, drawn, and quartered notwithstanding his genitals being cut off for an absolute good measure.

Chapter 108: Wedding Pt 1

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 108: Wedding Pt 1

March, 1613

Anna nodded her thanks to the servant as the man put down two cups of sweet wine on the table before them, then looked at her sister, Elizabeth and asked. “Well? How are you feeling?”

Elizabeth was due to be married tomorrow, to the Elector Palatinate. A match that had been many years in the making. Anna was hopeful that Elizabeth would get to experience the same sort of happiness that Anna experienced with Henry, and judging by how her sister spoke of the man, she imagined that that was quite likely.

Elizabeth smiled. “I am excited and nervous.”

“Nervous?” Anna asked.

“I…I want the wedding to go well, but I keep thinking that something will happen to disrupt it.” Elizabeth said.

“Like what?” Anna asked.

“I don’t know.” Elizabeth said, she then leaned forward, prompting Anna to do the same and whispered. “I received a letter from Brunswick.”

“Oh?” Anna replied, she knew that Elizabeth hadn’t replied to any of the letters that her cousin of Brunswick had written to her since the announcement of her engagement to Frederick, so this would be intriguing. “And?”

“He said that he would come to London to stop the wedding.” Elizabeth whispered.

Anna snorted. “How?” She’d heard from Henry that apparently Brunswick had slipped into very heavy drinking, she didn’t imagine that he was in any state to do anything.

“I don’t know. But I wouldn’t put it past him.” Elizabeth said.

Anna took her sister’s hand and said. “He won’t do anything, Henry and the King won’t let him.” She knew Henry would probably beat Brunswick to death if he did try something.

Elizabeth nodded and leaned back. “But yes. I am very excited.”

“Good.” Anna said. “Frederick seems like a very good man.”

Elizabeth smiled then. “He truly is.”

“You are happy?” Anna asked, looking intently at Elizabeth.

“I am, very happy with the match. I think we will be very happy together.” Elizabeth said.

“Good, that is important.” Anna said.

“You sound just like Mother.” Elizabeth quipped then.

Anna chuckled. “Well, I am a Mother.” She would want her Arthur and Anne to be happy before they got married, despite what the men might think. Happiness was important.

“How are the children?” Elizabeth asked.

“Good.” Anna said smiling. “Arthur wasn’t sick on the journey down, and he’s been constantly babbling about it since.” Her son was now saying more than a few words, indeed as he approached two years of age, he was saying full sentences and was far more aware of the world.

“Oh? What’s he been talking about?” Elizabeth asked then.

“Various things. He is obsessed with ships and with Scotland.” Anna said.

“What is it with this family and ships?” Elizabeth asked then.

Anna laughed but before she could reply, a door opened and Henry walked in, holding Arthur’s hand. Arthur squealed with delight when he saw her and ran over to her. Anna hugged him and kissed his hair. “Hello sweetheart!” She exclaimed.

“What are you two talking about?” Henry asked then, Anna kissed Arthur’s hair again and then looked up at her husband, he had a bit of a beard growing, he looked handsome.

“The family’s obsession with ships.” Elizabeth commented.

“Ships are brilliant.” Henry said then. He came to stand next to Anna and their son and added. “They get you anywhere you need to go.”

Elizabeth snorted. “Are you getting your son into them early then?”

Henry grinned. “Of course.”

There was a brief silence and then Anna watched as Arthur turned to Elizabeth and said. “I….I…has a present for you, Aunt Elizabeth.”

“Oh?” Elizabeth asked. “And what might that be, sweetheart?”

Arthur looked at Henry who nodded encouragingly, and then he tottered toward Elizabeth, and pulled out a little flower from his pocket. He handed it to Elizabeth and said. “For the you, the second most beautiful woman in the world.”

Anna snorted, and Elizabeth playfully asked. “Who is the most beautiful?”

Arthur looked at her then and said. “My Mama!”

Anna grinned and Elizabeth laughed. “Of course.”

Arthur smiled and then ran back toward her. Anna picked him up and held him in her arms, he was getting bigger and heavier now, soon she wouldn’t be able to do this. The thought of that made her quite sad.

“Thank you for my flower, Arthur, it’s beautiful.” Elizabeth said.

Anna looked at Arthur and he looked at her and then at Elizabeth and said. “You are very wecome, Aunt Elizabeth.”

Elizabeth smiled.

“I just had a very interesting conversation.” Henry said then.

“With who?” Anna asked.

“George Villiers.” Henry said.

Anna shared a look with Elizabeth, why was Villiers speaking to Henry? What about? “About?”

“He wants to accompany Elizabeth to the Palatinate. It seems he thinks he will gain some experience by doing so.” Henry said.

“And what did you say?” Elizabeth asked.

“I said I would speak with you about it.” Henry replied.

“Well, should he accompany me?” Elizabeth asked.

“I think it would be useful.” Henry said.

“Why?” Elizabeth asked.

“Gives him a more worldly experience, and makes him more attractive to the King compared to Rochester.” Anna said then.

Elizabeth looked at her in surprise and Anna shrugged, it was true. The King liked people who could challenge him, and Villiers could do that.

“I’ll speak to Frederick about it.” Elizabeth said then.

“And I’ll speak to the King.” Henry said.

“Excellent.” Anna said.

Arthur squirmed in her lap then, so Anna let him go. He got down and ran to the far wall, and sat down, picking up a toy of his that had been left there. Anna looked at Henry then, she had thought that he’d gotten those toys and put them back in the boxes that they’d had made for them. Henry shrugged. “I must have missed one.”

Anna snorted and said. “Fine, but don’t miss it this time.”

Henry did a dramatic bow and said. “Of course, my love.”

Elizabeth snorted. “Honestly, men.”

Anna looked at her sister and agreed. “Men.”