Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

VVD0D95

Banned
deit2cl-e58a2913-633e-4fda-a325-52c3a40aa6cc.png

include wales or else
Lol

I'd go for a larger Irish shield in the middle.
But if you want something different:
kingdom-of-iob.png

Also has the benefit of adding Wales in rhe centre when the political pressure allows.

A compromise could be reached with this:
581580F4-6661-4715-A79C-1FC3E43C4004.jpeg
This flag I found on google could work as it has all four Saints in one flag:
- St. George is the red cross in the middle
- St. Davis is the yellow cross
- St. Andrews is the white cross
- St. Patrick is the Red diagonal cross.

VVD0D95

Banned
I'd go for a larger Irish shield in the middle.
But if you want something different:
View attachment 678681
Also has the benefit of adding Wales in rhe centre when the political pressure allows.
That could be pretty cool
View attachment 678674
As could this
As could this tbf

View attachment 678674
St David isn't the Welsh Flag
To be fair the fake St Patrick wasn't the Irish either.
My modern take merely turned the lower third green:
ukesniw3.png

Last edited:
St David is the Welsh Flag
To be fair the fake St Patrick wasn't the Irish either.
My modern take merely turned the lower third green
The welsh flag 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 is known as the Red dragon, the United Kingdom would not recognise the flag's official status until 1959, although the red dragon had been associated with Wales for at least a thousand years.
DD6A2973-4C60-47E9-B731-C349778A7508.png
This standard bare was used by Henry VII at the battle of Bosworth.

Chapter 96: Affairs Of The Heart

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 96: Affairs Of The Heart

August, 1612

Gustavus felt tired to his very bones. He knew that he couldn’t keep working at the same frenetic pace that he had been working at until now, but he also knew that he had to make a statement. He had to show his advisors that he was able to handle the pressure, and he had to show the woman in front of him that being with Ebba was not going to stop him from being a great King.

His mother Christina was opposed to the marriage that Gustavus wanted, he knew, but if he could bring her round, he was sure that all would be well. To that end he took a deep breath and said. “I know you don’t approve, but I think it would be a good marriage.”

His mother raised an eyebrow and replied. “With respect, Your Majesty, I think you are mistaken. Lady Brahe is not a foreign bride, she is from a local family, one that will expect influence and positions of power if the marriage goes ahead. Your uncle’s marriage did not end well.”

Gustavus looked at his mother and said. “I am not my uncle.” He was strong willed and stubborn like his mother.

“I know.” Mother replied softly. “But you cannot deny that they will expect influence, Your Majesty.”

“And you think any foreign woman that I marry won’t try and bring influence for her family?” Gustavus demanded.

Mother sighed. “They won’t succeed. There are ways you can control a foreign bride that you can’t control a domestic marriage.”

“Ebba’s father is my vassal; he wouldn’t betray me.” Gustavus said, if the man even thought of it, he’d execute him.

Mother looked as though she wanted to snap, instead, she took a deep breath and said. “It is not a case of her father betraying you, Sire, it is a case of him seeking to use his daughter to enrich himself and his family. That is not something Sweden can afford.”

“How do you know that he would try to do that?” Gustavus demanded. So far it seemed as though his mother had no actual proof that this would happen and was instead relying on mere hearsay and of course that old chestnut of his uncle’s wife.

“Human nature.” Mother said.

Gustavus snorted. “I am not going to decide who I marry based off of something that is as unqualifiable as that.”

“And what about the envoys that have been sent to Brunswick and to Mecklenburg? Will you leave them with egg on their faces?” Mother asked.

“They have not come back with anything agreeable. Brunswick is stalling because of their alliance with the Danes, and Mecklenburg is Mecklenburg.” Gustavus said dismissively.

Mother looked at him and sighed. “Your mind is made up?”

“Yes.” Gustavus said. “And I know Ebba wishes to marry as well.” She had told him as much during the ball the other day.

His mother nodded. “So, nothing I say will make a difference?”

“No.” Gustavus said.

“Very well.” Mother replied. “Then you have my blessing.”

“We do?” Gustavus asked surprised, he’d not expected Mother to cave quite so easily.

“Yes.” Mother said. “If you both want to marry then I will not stand in your way.”

Gustavus smiled though a part of him suspected that there was another obstacle coming that Mother wasn’t mentioning now. “Thank you, Mother.”

Mother nodded then said. “However, if I may give you some advice.”

Gustavus braced himself for some withering take about Ebba or her family. “Certainly.”

“You must marry as soon as possible and sire a child as soon as you can. Do not delay.” Mother said.

“I don’t intend to delay.” Gustavus said. Indeed, now that Mother had given her consent, he planned on marrying Ebba within the month.

“Good, because Sweden needs stability, otherwise your cousin will start getting ideas.” Mother said.

“Why?” Gustavus asked, though he was already aware of what Mother meant.

“You are not marrying someone with a foreign connection; therefore, Sweden’s overall position is weaker. Sigismund might well consider that a sign that Sweden is completely weakened and decide to invade. Given the situation with Denmark, I do not know what would happen if he were to do that.” Mother said.

Gustavus doubted that Sigismund would invade, after all, the man was tied down in Russia, but he understood what his mother was saying. “And having a child, especially a son, with Ebba would show that the dynasty is not quite as unstable as it might appear.”

“Exactly.” Mother replied.

Gustavus nodded. “I shall ensure that everything is done before the end of the month.”

“Good.” Mother said. There was a brief pause and then Mother asked. “Was there aught else?”

“No, you may go.” Gustavus said. Mother rose, curtseyed, then straightened and departed. Gustavus watched her go and then sighed. He rang a bell and a servant appeared. “Get Ribbing.” Gustavus commanded of the servant, the man nodded and hurried away, returning a few moments later with the Treasurer.

“Sire.” Ribbing replied, bowing low. The man was starting to go bald.

“I want you to send letters to our men in Brunswick and Mecklenburg.” Gustavus said.

“Saying what, Sire?” Ribbing asked.

“That their missions are at an end.” Gustavus said.

“Your Majesty has decided on a bride?” Ribbing asked hopefully.

“I have.” Gustavus said.

“If I might be so bold as to ask who the lucky lady is, Sire?” Ribbing replied.

“Ebba Brahe.” Gustavus said.

Ribbing’s face did something rather amusing, it shifted between surprise, disappointment and relief all at once, making it seem like the man had had some sort of stroke. When the news had had time to settle, he nodded and said. “I shall write the letters right away, Sire.”

“Good.” Gustavus said. “You may go.” Ribbing nodded and then departed. Gustavus got up then, he’d go and find Ebba and tell her himself. He hoped she’d be happy; this was what they’d been wanting for some time after all.

I wonder how the ordinary folk feel about a Union of the three crowns?

Are we talking currency Union as well?
Given this is a time where currency value is down to its gold/silver weight/purity, its probable that a common standard would be put in place to aid trade , its possible, like the euro, they would have a common side ( kings head ) and a mint side which might vary depending on location.