Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Well even if Carr is not the King’s bedmate anymore he is on the Council, a top level job, provided he does not hack off the King then he can continue being a Minister of State, surely a grand prize still?

I was unaware of that law from Richard 2 and I can see why it appeals to James's sensibilities. Also I have a feeling Carr is holding back on everything regarding the joint venture negotiations. Normally when a councilmen seems to report something any 'good news' comes with a catch. Plus the Spanish party did end up alienated from Spain in OTL.

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
I was unaware of that law from Richard 2 and I can see why it appeals to James's sensibilities. Also I have a feeling Carr is holding back on everything regarding the joint venture negotiations. Normally when a councilmen seems to report something any 'good news' comes with a catch. Plus the Spanish party did end up alienated from Spain in OTL.
This is very true, it's something that might come back to bite him.

Chapter 95: Union PT 2

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 95: Union PT 2

August, 1612

Richard Butler, Viscount Mountgarret shifted. He looked around the room and felt he was like a lamb in the lion’s den. He wondered why his cousin, the Earl of Ormond had asked to meet him here, in the old Town, where bad things had happened to their family in the past. He supposed his cousin was trying to make a point, to show how powerful he had become.

Richard pushed that thought down as the door opened and his cousin walked-or rather limped-into the room. Thomas Butler, Earl of Ormond, and one of the King’s chief lieutenants in Ireland. He was tall, broad, and muscular. And when he’d been a younger man, he’d been incredibly handsome. Now the lines around his face made him appear wise.

“Cousin.” Thomas said, extending a hand as he sat down opposite Richard.

“Cousin.” Richard greeted, taking the man’s hand and shaking it, noting how firm the handshake was.

Thomas pulled his hand back and Richard waited. Eventually, the older man spoke. “Thank you for coming. I know the Old Town is not your favourite spot.”

“Of course, what did you wish to speak about?” Richard asked.

His cousin looked right at him, in a manner that unnerved him quite solidly. “The Union.”

“Ah.” Richard said. The Union of Parliaments to go with the Union of the Crowns. Richard had been somewhat reluctant to support the procedure, fearing that in doing so, he’d undermine the position not only of himself but of his fellow Catholics everywhere. The protestations that had come from the Scots in particular seemed to have validated his view.

“There has been a proposal from London as regarding how to solve the quandary that occurred in talks.” Thomas said.

Richard leaned forward intrigued. “Go on.” He said.

His cousin took a breath and then continued. “The King has proposed using an old law from the time of Richard II to provide a loophole for you and your fellow Catholics to take your seats in the Lords.”

“What old law?” Richard asked.

His cousin took another deep breath then replied. “A law that recognised the fact that whilst Rome held authority on church matters it did not have authority on non-church related matters.”

Richard considered this, he suspected he knew what the King wanted him and others like him to do, and so he asked. “Would the King use this law to allow us to sit in the Lords if we swore to recognise his authority on non-church related matters?”

“Yes.” Thomas said simply.

Richard then asked. “And has this been declared legal in England and Scotland?” He felt a stirring of hope, if it had been perhaps, they could move forward and he could see whether the Union would succeed or fail.

His cousin hesitated for the briefest of moments before replying. “It has been.”

Richard nodded. “Then I shall speak with Maguire and the others and convince them to come onside.” He knew that of those that he had contact with, Maguire would be the hardest to convince. The man was bullish about everything and would speak only in Gaelic.

“Good.” Thomas said, smiling.

“There was something else you wanted to speak about wasn’t there?” Richard asked. He knew his cousin; he knew that from the way the man was holding himself there was something else on his mind.

His cousin laughed. “There is actually.”

“What is it?” Richard asked.

“Should this Union go through, we will need a way of ensuring that our influence outmatches that of Kildare’s.” Thomas said.

Richard frowned. “Kildare only has himself and his family, there are far more branches of our family. Surely it shouldn’t be too hard to achieve.” This was especially true after the Desmond rebellion.

Thomas snorted. “I wish that were true. But many members of the family are not as politically savvy as you or I. Take your brother-in-law for instance.”

Richard frowned. “What about him?” Walter was a decent man, a good soldier, and a good Catholic.

“He has no brain for the fight.” Thomas said. “As much as I love the man, he knows nothing of the game. He has not bothered to attend any meetings of the Union talks despite being a member of the sub-committee.”

Richard felt his frown deepen, that wasn’t good. “So, you think Kildare will use Walter’s naivety or lack of political interest to his advantage?”

Thomas snorted. “It’s not that I think he will, I know he will.”

Richard sighed. “So, what do you suggest?”

“You must take over leadership of the family once the Union occurs. You must give the speeches and you must lead the voting blocs.” Thomas said.

Richard nodded and then asked. “Are you sure?” He knew what it would look like from the outside, if he as a Catholic started taking over control of the family, not being from the main branch of the family.

“I am.” Thomas said. “You must do this to protect the family and protect Ireland from the scourge of Kildare.”

“Very well, I will do it. On one condition.” Richard said.

“Name it.” Thomas said without hesitation.

“You will not object if I speak with McCarthy and O’Doherty and the O’Donnells.” Richard said, preparing himself for his cousin to explode. He knew how much the man loathed those families.

Yet he was pleasantly surprised when his cousin simply said. “Do what you must. But ensure you know what you are getting into.”

Richard nodded. “Of course.” His cousin nodded and then rose, Richard rose as well, and watched as his cousin walked to the door. The man stopped suddenly and said.

“Make sure you don’t stay too long in the Old Town. My house is open to you.”

Richard nodded. “Thank you, cousin.”

Richard saw his cousin smile and then watched him walk out of the room. He took a breath once the door shut, and then put his own thoughts together and walked out of the room as well. He had a lot of planning to do.

Deleted member 147978

Looks like Thomas and Richard Butler are doing anything to stop Fitzgerald (Kildare) at any costs.

Deleted member 147978

Makes me wonder about the dynamic between the Fitzgerald and Butler clans in the impending Tripartite Union.

Deleted member 147978

It's going to be an interesting one that's for sure
An absolutely interesting one to say the least.
The two Hiberno-Norman clans had been at each others during the War of the Roses. (Butler siding with Lancaster and Fitzgerald siding with York.)

Would both clans do some shady behind-the-curtain maneuvering when the Act of Union gets passed into law? I'm itching to see what comes next from them.

VVD0D95

Banned
An absolutely interesting one to say the least.
The two Hiberno-Norman clans had been at each others during the War of the Roses. (Butler siding with Lancaster and Fitzgerald siding with York.)

Would both clans do some shady behind-the-curtain maneuvering when the Act of Union gets passed into law? I'm itching to see what comes next from them.
;)

VVD0D95

Banned
Also, how do people feel the flag should look like?

Like this?

1920px-Flag_of_the_Commonwealth_%281658-1660%29.svg.png

Or something else?

Like the original one currently?

1920px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png

I prefer the former than the latter as the current Union Flag has the extra strips in the white cross to represent N Ireland, not the whole Isle.