Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Chapter 78: A Wife's Duty

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 78: A Wife’s Duty

November, 1611

The door opened and Henry walked in, dressed in some colourful clothing that David Murray had chosen for that day’s entertainment. Henry took off his top and threw it onto the floor, he then sat in the chair opposite her. He exhaled.

“How was it?” Anna Maria asked.

Anna’s husband looked at her and sighed. “I…I couldn’t stand it.”

Anna frowned. “Why?” Her husband had been in the celebratory mood when he’d arrived at Whitehall from Edinburgh earlier this week. They’d sung, danced and drunk, and in their private quarters they’d made love. But now, now Henry looked exhausted.

“I don’t want to keep doing this. I feel like a bloody puppet, dressed up for everyone else’s attention.” Henry said.

Anna wanted to say something about how this was all being done because the King wanted to celebrate Henry, to celebrate his son who had achieved something nobody else had been able to. But looking at Henry, and seeing just how drained he seemed, she thought better of it. Instead, she asked. “What would you rather be doing?”

“I want to be with you and with our son.” Henry said. “I don’t want to be paraded around like a bloody goose for slaughter. I want to be with my family.”

Anna took Henry’s hand in hers then and said earnestly. “Then let’s get away from here. After the funeral. Let’s go to Richmond or to Woodstock. Let’s just get away from here.” From court, from London, from it all.

The look in Henry’s eyes then broke her heart. He looked terrified and lost. “I want nothing more than that my love. But I can’t go.”

Anna frowned. “Why?” She asked.

Henry sighed, and Anna could hear tiredness and grief mixed together in that simple action. “The King wants me to be part of the council deliberations over something to do with the Polish Russian War.”

“Ah.” Anna said. She could understand that. She had some things she could say to help Henry on the matter, but looking at him now, she decided to put that to one side, and instead said. “We can always go to Woodstock after that. After all, how long could the King debate such a thing for?” English involvement in that war wasn’t severe, at least not that Anna knew of.

“I hope so.” Henry said. Her husband cleared his throat then and added. “He wants me to stay at Whitehall to talk about things as well. With Carr.” The way Henry said the word Carr, made Anna wince. Her husband did not like the man.

“What about?” Anna asked.

“I have a feeling it might have something to do with the fact that I nearly hit the man today.” Henry said.

“What?!” Anna exclaimed shocked. She knew her husband didn’t like Carr, but that was going a bit far surely?

“I overheard him saying something bad about Robert, and so I got close to him and would have punched him if not for William Cecil.” Henry said.

“What was he saying?” Anna asked. Wondering what it was that could have riled her husband up quite so badly.

“It doesn’t bear repeating.” Henry said in a manner that indicated that no matter how much she pressed him, he wouldn’t elaborate, so Anna changed tack.

“So, will you be better behaved this time?” Anna asked.

Henry snorted. “Yes. I know not to attack Carr whilst my father can see me.”

“Henry!” Anna exclaimed.

“What?” Henry replied. “It’s true. Carr is an idiot and I don’t understand what my father sees in him. He favours Carr over others more deserving of such a favour. For heaven’s sake, we’re going to be attending Robert’s funeral in St Paul’s Cathedral because of Carr! Westminster Abbey is where Robert’s funeral should be. Not in bloody St Paul’s.”

Her husband’s voice had become more strained as he had spoken, until it sounded as if it were going to break. Anna squeezed his hand and whispered. “You don’t know that he had anything to do with it.” At least she hoped that was true, otherwise she’d go and deal with Carr herself.

“He did. I know he did.” Henry said.

“How?” Anna asked.

“Suffolk’s son told me about it. Apparently Carr and Robert’s wife Frances are a thing now. He promised her he would ensure that there was no proper funeral. He suggested St Paul’s.” Henry replied.

“Carr and Frances are together?!” Anna exclaimed horrified. She thought Frances had better taste.

“Apparently so.” Henry said, his voice filled with disgust.

“I promised Robert before we went into battle that I would protect Frances. But how can I protect her from herself?” Henry asked. He looked at her his eyes beginning to water. “I won’t be able to look Robert in the eyes now.”

“What do you mean?” Anna asked confused.

Henry exhaled shakily. “Every time at night when I close my eyes, I see Robert, as he was before he was killed. I see him asking me to protect Frances, and to protect his sister. And every time I promise that I will.”

Tears started to fall from Henry’s eyes. “I can’t do that now. I’ve failed him. Just as I failed to keep him alive.”

Anna’s heart broke then, and she got up and moved to her husband and pulled him to her chest. “You haven’t failed him, Henry. You haven’t.”

“I have.” Henry murmured against her chest. “If Frances is with Robert Carr, then I’ve failed.”

“You haven’t. We can make sure nothing further happens between them.” Anna said. She was sure of it. She’d get Catherine and the other ladies onto the case.

“How?” Henry asked.

He pulled back and looked at her through red eyes. “How?”

Anna looked at him and exhaled, then replied. “Leave that to me. I will make Robert Carr suffer.” And she meant every word of that. Carr would rue the day he’d dared hurt her husband. She could promise him that.

I love that with the Carr/Henry conflict involving Essex is so shaded. Obviously Carr is a wanker, but in this case he’s not completely in the wrong, if what Frances says is true. It’s nice that’s it’s not all good vs. bad with these people

VVD0D95

Banned
I love that with the Carr/Henry conflict involving Essex is so shaded. Obviously Carr is a wanker, but in this case he’s not completely in the wrong, if what Frances says is true. It’s nice that’s it’s not all good vs. bad with these people
Definitely, glad it came through :)

Deleted member 147978

Chapter 78: A Wife’s Duty

November, 1611

The door opened and Henry walked in, dressed in some colourful clothing that David Murray had chosen for that day’s entertainment. Henry took off his top and threw it onto the floor, he then sat in the chair opposite her. He exhaled.

“How was it?” Anna Maria asked.

Anna’s husband looked at her and sighed. “I…I couldn’t stand it.”

Anna frowned. “Why?” Her husband had been in the celebratory mood when he’d arrived at Whitehall from Edinburgh earlier this week. They’d sung, danced and drunk, and in their private quarters they’d made love. But now, now Henry looked exhausted.

“I don’t want to keep doing this. I feel like a bloody puppet, dressed up for everyone else’s attention.” Henry said.

Anna wanted to say something about how this was all being done because the King wanted to celebrate Henry, to celebrate his son who had achieved something nobody else had been able to. But looking at Henry, and seeing just how drained he seemed, she thought better of it. Instead, she asked. “What would you rather be doing?”

“I want to be with you and with our son.” Henry said. “I don’t want to be paraded around like a bloody goose for slaughter. I want to be with my family.”

Anna took Henry’s hand in hers then and said earnestly. “Then let’s get away from here. After the funeral. Let’s go to Richmond or to Woodstock. Let’s just get away from here.” From court, from London, from it all.

The look in Henry’s eyes then broke her heart. He looked terrified and lost. “I want nothing more than that my love. But I can’t go.”

Anna frowned. “Why?” She asked.

Henry sighed, and Anna could hear tiredness and grief mixed together in that simple action. “The King wants me to be part of the council deliberations over something to do with the Polish Russian War.”

“Ah.” Anna said. She could understand that. She had some things she could say to help Henry on the matter, but looking at him now, she decided to put that to one side, and instead said. “We can always go to Woodstock after that. After all, how long could the King debate such a thing for?” English involvement in that war wasn’t severe, at least not that Anna knew of.

“I hope so.” Henry said. Her husband cleared his throat then and added. “He wants me to stay at Whitehall to talk about things as well. With Carr.” The way Henry said the word Carr, made Anna wince. Her husband did not like the man.

“What about?” Anna asked.

“I have a feeling it might have something to do with the fact that I nearly hit the man today.” Henry said.

“What?!” Anna exclaimed shocked. She knew her husband didn’t like Carr, but that was going a bit far surely?

“I overheard him saying something bad about Robert, and so I got close to him and would have punched him if not for William Cecil.” Henry said.

“What was he saying?” Anna asked. Wondering what it was that could have riled her husband up quite so badly.

“It doesn’t bear repeating.” Henry said in a manner that indicated that no matter how much she pressed him, he wouldn’t elaborate, so Anna changed tack.

“So, will you be better behaved this time?” Anna asked.

Henry snorted. “Yes. I know not to attack Carr whilst my father can see me.”

“Henry!” Anna exclaimed.

“What?” Henry replied. “It’s true. Carr is an idiot and I don’t understand what my father sees in him. He favours Carr over others more deserving of such a favour. For heaven’s sake, we’re going to be attending Robert’s funeral in St Paul’s Cathedral because of Carr! Westminster Abbey is where Robert’s funeral should be. Not in bloody St Paul’s.”

Her husband’s voice had become more strained as he had spoken, until it sounded as if it were going to break. Anna squeezed his hand and whispered. “You don’t know that he had anything to do with it.” At least she hoped that was true, otherwise she’d go and deal with Carr herself.

“He did. I know he did.” Henry said.

“How?” Anna asked.

“Suffolk’s son told me about it. Apparently Carr and Robert’s wife Frances are a thing now. He promised her he would ensure that there was no proper funeral. He suggested St Paul’s.” Henry replied.

“Carr and Frances are together?!” Anna exclaimed horrified. She thought Frances had better taste.

“Apparently so.” Henry said, his voice filled with disgust.

“I promised Robert before we went into battle that I would protect Frances. But how can I protect her from herself?” Henry asked. He looked at her his eyes beginning to water. “I won’t be able to look Robert in the eyes now.”

“What do you mean?” Anna asked confused.

Henry exhaled shakily. “Every time at night when I close my eyes, I see Robert, as he was before he was killed. I see him asking me to protect Frances, and to protect his sister. And every time I promise that I will.”

Tears started to fall from Henry’s eyes. “I can’t do that now. I’ve failed him. Just as I failed to keep him alive.”

Anna’s heart broke then, and she got up and moved to her husband and pulled him to her chest. “You haven’t failed him, Henry. You haven’t.”

“I have.” Henry murmured against her chest. “If Frances is with Robert Carr, then I’ve failed.”

“You haven’t. We can make sure nothing further happens between them.” Anna said. She was sure of it. She’d get Catherine and the other ladies onto the case.

“How?” Henry asked.

He pulled back and looked at her through red eyes. “How?”

Anna looked at him and exhaled, then replied. “Leave that to me. I will make Robert Carr suffer.” And she meant every word of that. Carr would rue the day he’d dared hurt her husband. She could promise him that.
You go girl.
Anna Maria Wasa is going to going to put that washed up homoerotic play-toy Carr into the dumpster where he belongs. Serves him right.

And Anna simply cannot understand how can her Lady of Bedchamber (Frances Essex was mentioned several times in this capacity) fall for somebody as disgusting as Carr.

And Anna simply cannot understand how can her Lady of Bedchamber (Frances Essex was mentioned several times in this capacity) fall for somebody as disgusting as Carr.
Well, assuming Frances is telling the truth, Carr is pretty much the only person who isn't treating her abusive husband like a hero. I can see how that might be an attractive quality.

Assuming Frances is telling the truth, Anna Maria's attempts to break them up could easily create a big rift between her and Frances.

Chapter 79: Gossiping Queens

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 79: Gossiping Queens

November, 1611

“I cannot believe that Frances has eyes for Rochester!” Elizabeth said simply, putting down her book and looking at her sister in law.

“I know, I hardly believed it either when Henry told me, but then I observed the two of them at the dinner the other day and I saw it. They could barely keep their eyes off one another.” Anna Maria said.

Elizabeth frowned. “What does she see in him?” Rochester was a grasping idiot. Someone who was not as refined as say George Villiers or Lord Haddington. Someone who held some strange appeal over the King. It was strange and somewhat frightening.

“I don’t know.” Anna admitted. “And I don’t know what to do about it.”

Elizabeth’s frown deepened then. “What do you mean?” Why would Anna have to do anything about it?

Anna shifted slightly, and for the first time since Elizabeth had met her sister in law after coming up from Greenwich, she got the sense that the other lady was uncomfortable. “I made a promise to Henry.”

“What promise?” Elizabeth asked cautiously, she didn’t want to get in the way of her sister in law and her brother. If they had an agreement, then they should stick to it. But the way Anna was acting now made Elizabeth think that Anna may be regretting it.

“That I would make Carr suffer, so as to ensure Henry could keep Frances safe.” Anna Maria said.

“Ah.” Elizabeth said, that made sense. Making Carr suffer would be difficult, as long as he was the King’s favourite.

“If I may, Your Highnesses?” Catherine Howard, Frances’ sister asked.

“Go on.” Anna Maria said.

Elizabeth looked at Catherine, waiting to see what her friend would say. “If you want to take Frances’ attention away from Carr, you need to find out what it is about Carr that appeals to her, and then find someone who harbours similar characteristics and push that person in front of her.”

Elizabeth exhaled. “Who would have the same characteristics as that man?” She could not bear to think that there were two of such people.

“If I wanted to be uncharitable, I would argue that my husband’s cousin Lord Ros has similar characteristics.” Catherine said then.

“Ros?” Elizabeth replied, her frown deepening again. “Really?”

“Yes.” Catherine replied. “He’s got the same level of arrogance and confidence about him. And he is much more attractive than Carr, so that will do him some favours.”

Elizabeth considered this. She’d only met Ros once or twice. He was more in Henry’s orbit. But if what Catherine said was true, then perhaps it would be worth a shot. She looked at Anna and asked. “What do you want to do?”

“I think perhaps it would be best if we met Ros first before deciding to send him after Frances.” Anna replied. “After all, we don’t want something bad to happen.”

“Something bad has already happened.” Elizabeth remarked. Anna snorted.

“Still, it would be good to know who we are dealing with.” Anna said.

“Very well. How do you want to approach this?” Elizabeth asked.

“Henry and I are going to be hosting a few people at St James’ Palace in a few days’ time, perhaps we could invite Lord Ros.” Anna suggested.

“I think that would work. Invite Frances as well, sister, and they will likely meet.” Elizabeth said.

“Agreed.” Anna said.

There was a brief pause and then someone, perhaps Annabel Campbell asked. “What about yourself, Your Highness?”

Elizabeth frowned at the question. “What do you mean?” She asked into the void.

“Have you heard back from the Prince of Brunswick?” Annabel asked, she was sure it was Annabel this time because she saw the girl ask the question.

Elizabeth snorted. “No, and I do not think I will hear back from him again.” She had written quite a stern letter to her cousin, telling him that the way he treated her unless he wanted something from her, was not on. She was a Princess of England, not some scullery maid. She would be treated as a Princess or she would not talk to him at all.

“Why, Your Highness?” Annabel asked.

“Because I know my worth.” Elizabeth said curtly.

“Good, that is good Your Highness.” Anna Zamoyski, one of Anna Maria’s ladies said. “You should not let these men treat you as anything other than the Princess you are.”

Elizabeth nodded in agreement and said. “I quite agree, and I would recommend you all do the same ladies.” She looked around the room at all the women gathered there, and said. “We must ensure these men know our worth. Whatever else we have, we have that.”

There were murmurs of agreement at that, and Elizabeth saw Anna Maria smiling, which made her happy, even if she could see Anna’s governess frowning out the corner of her eye. The older woman rarely spoke, unless it was to say something snappish in Polish.

Anne Drummond spoke then, breaking the silence. “What about the Elector Palatinate?”

Elizabeth immediately felt butterflies float into her stomach as she thought about the Elector. He’d sent her a miniature of himself, and she kept it by her bedside. He was handsome, truly, and his words suggested he was a good soul. She smiled. “He is kind and caring. He writes well, and he always asks about me.”

Anne Drummond sighed appreciatively. “Will you marry him, Your Highness?” She asked then.

“I hope so.” Elizabeth said, finding that she meant it. “It would be a politically sensible marriage and I think we would get on very well.”

“I am sure the King will agree to the marriage, sister.” Anna Maria said. “It is the most sensible marriage after all.”

Elizabeth nodded but added. “One can never be sure. After all, Carr might say something to sway the King. Just as he did with the funeral for Robert Essex.” St Paul’s had been packed full of people for the funeral. It had been stifling inside, and there had been Carr muttering something and looking smug, whilst failing to hide it. Elizabeth had wanted to slap him for that.

“Then we had best make sure that Carr doesn’t have the chance.” Anna Maria said.

Elizabeth nodded. “I agree.”