Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Deleted member 147978

Catherine isn’t catholic tho. She’s Charles IX daughter and he was definitely not catholic
Thanks for the clarification again, I didn't realize that she's Karl IX's daughter.

I was thinking about the Polish-Lithuanian Branch of the Vasa Family. Eck.

Well at least it seems that Maurice is trying to be a good husband to Catherine...hopefully things continue in that direction. And it would be nice to see the Dutch hammer out a deal with Brussels, though I’m not sure how likely that is.

VVD0D95

Banned
Well at least it seems that Maurice is trying to be a good husband to Catherine...hopefully things continue in that direction. And it would be nice to see the Dutch hammer out a deal with Brussels, though I’m not sure how likely that is.
Oh, it'll be a fun thing I imagine. I think if Philip iii wasn't breathing down their necks, Albert and Isabella might just achieve something.

Thanks for the clarification again, I didn't realize that she's Karl IX's daughter.

I was thinking about the Polish-Lithuanian Branch of the Vasa Family. Eck.
This Catherine is the OTL mother of Charles X and progenitor of all Swedish Royals until today.

Chapter 76: Rochester and Essex

VVD0D95

Banned

October, 1611

“Viscount Rochester, my lady.” The guard announced.

“Let him in.” The Countess of Essex said.

The guard stepped to one side and Robert entered into the room. He wanted to remind the guard that he was an Earl, but given that that was in the Scottish peerage, he supposed that would be petty. At least until the King’s desired union happened.

His breath hitched as he laid eyes on the Countess. She was beautiful. Dark hair done in a bun, cheeks rosy, dark dress, she looked like an angel. She got up then and he took her hand and kissed it. “My lady Essex.”

“Lord Rochester.” The Countess said. “Please, be seated.”

A servant appeared with a chair then and Robert sat down. He looked at the Countess, took a breath and then said. “I am so terribly sorry for your loss, my lady. The Earl of Essex was a good man.”

A letter had arrived from Lewis, writ in the hand of the Prince of Wales, explaining the success in defeating the Macleods but also the tragedy of the Earl of Essex’s death. The Countess had been present when the King had read the letter out loud, and her face had remained impassive, though her hands had shook.

Robert had not liked the Earl. He had found him too uptight and bitter. But he had served the Kingdom and it was poor form not to console a woman when her husband died. Even if, as Robert suspected the Countess did not like her husband.

The Countess nodded at his consolation and said. “Thank you, my lord. It is an odd thing to have been married to someone for so long and for them to now no longer be here. Truly odd.”

Robert waited unsure of what to say. The Countess continued. “We had known one another since we were children, but we never quite bonded to one another. Not like the Prince and Princess of Wales. We were strangers to one another forever. And that coloured our relationship.”

Intrigued, Robert asked. “What do you mean, my lady?”

“Frances.” The Countess said then. “Please, we know one another well enough now for you to refer to me by my name, my lord.”

Robert smiled and replied. “Only if you do the same, Frances.”

The Countess smiled and Robert’s heart quickened. “Very well, Robert.”

“Now, what do you mean, Frances?” Robert asked, leaning forward to hear what Frances said.

“What do I mean?” Frances mused. “What I mean is that my husband and I were never close. We were married so young but we never made an effort to get to know one another. We went with the marriage because it was commanded by the King. And I think we both resented one another for it.”

“Resented one another for it?” Robert asked intrigued. He knew he was prying but he got the sense that Frances was in the mood to share.

He was proven correct when the woman replied. “We never spoke to one another when we were together, we didn’t sleep together, and when we did talk, we argued, fiercely. Sometimes it got violent.”

Instinctively, Robert reached across and took Frances’ hand. “I’m sorry.” He said, he meant it. No man should ever hit a woman, never.

Frances smiled at him sadly. “It’s fine. I gave as good as I got.” There was a brief pause and then Frances continued. “But that was then and this is now. I do not want to dwell too much in the past. My husband died a hero, and that is what matters.”

There was something in the way Frances said that that made Robert ask. “Are you sure, Frances?”

Frances raised an eyebrow at him and snorted. “You are perceptive, Robert. No, it isn’t what matters. The wrongs that were done to me, the fact that my husband was a cold and barbaric man, will get ignored. Instead, he will be honoured and the Prince of Wales will fete him as some new Galahad. It is not right and it is not fair.”

Robert felt for Frances. He understood where she was coming from. Her husband was an idiot and most likely a bit of a monster, he didn’t deserve the plaudits he would get. Not for doing his duty. “I can try and prevent that from happening, Frances, if that is what you want.” Robert said then.

Frances looked at him with such hope that Robert momentarily forgot himself and wanted to promise her the moon. He pushed that thought to one side when she asked. “You could do that?”

Robert nodded. “I could. I know the King and I know how to get him to do what I want. If I suggest that honouring Essex would look bad, given his family’s history, and instead shift his attention toward Prince Henry he will go for it.” Indeed, now that he thought about it, Robert kicked himself for not thinking of this sooner. It was a sure-fire way of inflating the King’s own ego, through getting him to say to the court that he, the King, had had the foresight to grant Prince Henry command, and thus he was responsible for the victory. Something that Robert was sure that idiot Salisbury wouldn’t have thought of, yet.

Frances did something unexpected then. She raised their joined hands and kissed them. Robert felt warmth pool in his stomach. He looked at Frances and heard her as she whispered. “Thank you, I would be forever in your debt, Robert.”

Something overtook Robert then; it was as if his senses had abandoned him. He leaned forward until he was looking right into Frances’ eyes and said. “I would do anything for you, Frances, anything.”

He heard Frances’ breath hitch and for a moment worried he’d gone too far, but then she asked. “You would?”

Robert nodded. “I would.”

“Then kiss me.” Frances demanded.

Robert obliged, he closed the distance between them and pressed his lips to her. It was something else. Magical.

October, 1611

“Viscount Rochester, my lady.” The guard announced.

“Let him in.” The Countess of Essex said.

The guard stepped to one side and Robert entered into the room. He wanted to remind the guard that he was an Earl, but given that that was in the Scottish peerage, he supposed that would be petty. At least until the King’s desired union happened.

His breath hitched as he laid eyes on the Countess. She was beautiful. Dark hair done in a bun, cheeks rosy, dark dress, she looked like an angel. She got up then and he took her hand and kissed it. “My lady Essex.”

“Lord Rochester.” The Countess said. “Please, be seated.”

A servant appeared with a chair then and Robert sat down. He looked at the Countess, took a breath and then said. “I am so terribly sorry for your loss, my lady. The Earl of Essex was a good man.”

A letter had arrived from Lewis, writ in the hand of the Prince of Wales, explaining the success in defeating the Macleods but also the tragedy of the Earl of Essex’s death. The Countess had been present when the King had read the letter out loud, and her face had remained impassive, though her hands had shook.

Robert had not liked the Earl. He had found him too uptight and bitter. But he had served the Kingdom and it was poor form not to console a woman when her husband died. Even if, as Robert suspected the Countess did not like her husband.

The Countess nodded at his consolation and said. “Thank you, my lord. It is an odd thing to have been married to someone for so long and for them to now no longer be here. Truly odd.”

Robert waited unsure of what to say. The Countess continued. “We had known one another since we were children, but we never quite bonded to one another. Not like the Prince and Princess of Wales. We were strangers to one another forever. And that coloured our relationship.”

Intrigued, Robert asked. “What do you mean, my lady?”

“Frances.” The Countess said then. “Please, we know one another well enough now for you to refer to me by my name, my lord.”

Robert smiled and replied. “Only if you do the same, Frances.”

The Countess smiled and Robert’s heart quickened. “Very well, Robert.”

“Now, what do you mean, Frances?” Robert asked, leaning forward to hear what Frances said.

“What do I mean?” Frances mused. “What I mean is that my husband and I were never close. We were married so young but we never made an effort to get to know one another. We went with the marriage because it was commanded by the King. And I think we both resented one another for it.”

“Resented one another for it?” Robert asked intrigued. He knew he was prying but he got the sense that Frances was in the mood to share.

He was proven correct when the woman replied. “We never spoke to one another when we were together, we didn’t sleep together, and when we did talk, we argued, fiercely. Sometimes it got violent.”

Instinctively, Robert reached across and took Frances’ hand. “I’m sorry.” He said, he meant it. No man should ever hit a woman, never.

Frances smiled at him sadly. “It’s fine. I gave as good as I got.” There was a brief pause and then Frances continued. “But that was then and this is now. I do not want to dwell too much in the past. My husband died a hero, and that is what matters.”

There was something in the way Frances said that that made Robert ask. “Are you sure, Frances?”

Frances raised an eyebrow at him and snorted. “You are perceptive, Robert. No, it isn’t what matters. The wrongs that were done to me, the fact that my husband was a cold and barbaric man, will get ignored. Instead, he will be honoured and the Prince of Wales will fete him as some new Galahad. It is not right and it is not fair.”

Robert felt for Frances. He understood where she was coming from. Her husband was an idiot and most likely a bit of a monster, he didn’t deserve the plaudits he would get. Not for doing his duty. “I can try and prevent that from happening, Frances, if that is what you want.” Robert said then.

Frances looked at him with such hope that Robert momentarily forgot himself and wanted to promise her the moon. He pushed that thought to one side when she asked. “You could do that?”

Robert nodded. “I could. I know the King and I know how to get him to do what I want. If I suggest that honouring Essex would look bad, given his family’s history, and instead shift his attention toward Prince Henry he will go for it.” Indeed, now that he thought about it, Robert kicked himself for not thinking of this sooner. It was a sure-fire way of inflating the King’s own ego, through getting him to say to the court that he, the King, had had the foresight to grant Prince Henry command, and thus he was responsible for the victory. Something that Robert was sure that idiot Salisbury wouldn’t have thought of, yet.

Frances did something unexpected then. She raised their joined hands and kissed them. Robert felt warmth pool in his stomach. He looked at Frances and heard her as she whispered. “Thank you, I would be forever in your debt, Robert.”

Something overtook Robert then; it was as if his senses had abandoned him. He leaned forward until he was looking right into Frances’ eyes and said. “I would do anything for you, Frances, anything.”

He heard Frances’ breath hitch and for a moment worried he’d gone too far, but then she asked. “You would?”

Robert nodded. “I would.”

“Then kiss me.” Frances demanded.

Robert obliged, he closed the distance between them and pressed his lips to her. It was something else. Magical.
I hate this

Tbis is true, though wasn’t it mainly infantry that fought with firearms at this point? With the cavalry keeping their swords on them?
I confess my hard facts came from 30 years war but those tactics were developed around this period (Maurice of Orange). At this point I think cavalry was cuirassier type. So charges to enemy for deployment of pistols, retreat, loading and repeat. So during fight at town, they would have fought with swords. Later fights would have consisted at least initial cavalry charge with firearms before close combat.

VVD0D95

Banned
I confess my hard facts came from 30 years war but those tactics were developed around this period (Maurice of Orange). At this point I think cavalry was cuirassier type. So charges to enemy for deployment of pistols, retreat, loading and repeat. So during fight at town, they would have fought with swords. Later fights would have consisted at least initial cavalry charge with firearms before close combat.
Indeed this is true, it did take a bit of time for maurices innovations to come to England otl, and with henrh being a big fan, we’re likelt going to see them emerge sooner than they did otl.

Chapter 77: Proud Father

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 77: Proud Father

October, 1611

Henry had taken Lewis. He had done what the Mackenzies had failed to do and what four other men had failed to do. He had taken Lewis and James was incredibly proud. His son had lived up to his expectations and for that, he thanked God. James could also admit to himself that he was slightly jealous. His son had achieved something that James, for all his achievements, had not. He had won a campaign.

Henry was being feted in London and across the three Kingdoms, if Salisbury was to be believed. And whilst that made James very happy, it also prodded at the old insecurity he so often felt when it came to such things. He buried that down with alcohol though. And now, taking a deep gulp of wine, looked at his companions and loudly proclaimed.

“Henry has done the Kingdom proud!”

“Hear, hear!” Someone, it sounded like Suffolk cheered.

“He has brought that idiot Macleod into line and ended a serious threat to the Kingdom!” James said.

“Hear, hear!” Suffolk said.

James smiled, and then said. “How might I show him how proud I am of him?” His drink addled brain wanted to be boastful, forget jealousy for the moment.

“A parade, Sire.” Montgomery suggested. “A month-long parade to celebrate the glory that His Highness has brought to the Kingdom and to Your Majesty.”

“A month-long parade would be draining on the treasury, but a week-long parade would be good, no, Sire?” Suffolk suggested then.

The part of James that was still jealous whispered at him to agree, and the alcohol made that seem enticing so he said. “Yes, a week-long parade. I will speak with the Lord Mayor to arrange it on the morrow.” He took another deep gulp and stuck his cup out for more wine, which a serving boy dutifully gave him. He downed that wine quickly, and then stuck his cup out for more.

As he waited, he looked at Rochester and said. “Henry has taken Macleod to Edinburgh to be tried for his crimes.”

Rochester’s face twisted then, as if unhappy, but he said nothing. “You were wrong to suggest he bring the man here. Macleod is my subject as King of Scotland he must be tried in Scotland under Scots law.”

“Of course, Sire, forgive me.” Rochester whispered.

“What punishment will he get, Sire?” George Villiers asked. James looked at Villiers and felt his heart do that odd swooping thing it always did when Villiers was present.

“He will be tried for treason, found guilty and then executed.” James said with grim satisfaction. Macleod should’ve been quartered but such a punishment didn’t exist in Scotland. He took another deep swig of wine and then burped.

“And his family, Sire?” Villiers asked.

James snorted. “What family? His nephews are all dead, his sons are going to be executed alongside him for aiding and abetting his rebellion. His dynasty is finished.” And good riddance too, they had been a thorn in the crown’s side for far too long.

“So, what will happen to Lewis, Sire?” Villiers asked.

James had postulated over this for some time. He had considered bringing the island under direct control of the Crown, but upon receiving reports of how the people of Lewis had responded to Henry-another source of jealousy-he had decided against that and gone for another course. “Lewis will be put under the direct control of the Prince of Wales, in his capacity as Duke of Rothesay. He will draw income from it and be responsible for it.”

There was a moment of silence and then Rochester asked. “Is that wise, Sire? Given that the Mackenzies had been granted the charter for the land.”

“The current Lord Mackenzie is a boy, from a dynasty that is clearly hated on the island. I will not allow my son’s hard work to go to naught for it. Henry takes the island.” James said simply.

Rochester looked as if he wanted to protest, so James pressed on. “The matter has been decided. The Lord Chancellor and Attorney General of Scotland have agreed that it is a legal move, and the letters patent have been drawn up. Henry will accept them in Parliament in Edinburgh next week.”

Rochester closed his mouth then and nodded his acceptance. James then turned to another matter. “Now, Henry wants there to be a public funeral for Essex, what do we all think?”

James wasn’t sure what to think. The man himself had given his life for his Kingdom and his King, he had been Henry’s good friend, but a public funeral? That was not something James felt comfortable with. Such things were meant only for Kings or for the most brilliant of servants. And Essex wasn’t that.

“I think it would send the wrong message, Sire.” Rochester said.

“Why?” James asked.

“Essex did his duty; he should have a private funeral with his family and friends present. We do not need to make it a public spectacle.” Rochester replied.

“So, you disagree with the Prince?” George Villiers asked.

“I think that His Highness is grief stricken, and as such may not be thinking too clearly.” Rochester said.

“I disagree.” George said. “I think it would be a fitting way to honour the Earl of Essex, to show that his family has finally been admitted back into the King’s good graces, and that such sacrifices will be honoured. After all, what would it say about Your Majesty if you didn’t do this, Sire?” Villiers looked at him then.

James considered this, and said. “I suppose you are right, George. But need it be in Westminster Abbey?” He didn’t want to give Essex that sort of honour.

“It need not be, Sire.” Suffolk said then, prompting James to look at the man.

“Where would it be then?” James asked.

“St Paul’s, Sire.” Suffolk suggested.

James considered this, St Paul’s wasn’t in as good a condition as Westminster, but it was still prestigious and in reasonably decent condition. “Very well, make the arrangements.” He commanded.

“Sire.” Suffolk said.

James nodded, then said. “Now, let us resume our drinking.” He clapped his hands and flagons of wine were brought out. James wanted to enjoy this time before he had to resume thinking seriously about everything. Including Parliament.

Damn, James is really hitting the sauce. At least he thought clear enough to keep the Lewis lands and incomes in the monarchy’s hands. And be careful, Carr. Villiers is overtaking you!