Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Prince of the Blood and a charming bastard are a potent mix.

peoplw think Marie is worse
*sigh* Another war where so many will die for nothing but a measuring contest.

Hopefully King James will have the sense to stay out of it and take advantage once both sides are weak.

Even if there’s an opportunity for Britain to whack France/Spain I’m not sure that James would use it. He seems to be insistant on peace at all costs
I don’t think he will get involved in the fighting, but I can see James and Henry taking advantage for example, if any of France/Spain’s processions in the New World needed ‘help’ or taking the world stage and acting as the mediator to end the war once both sides are exhausted.

I don’t think he will get involved in the fighting, but I can see James and Henry taking advantage for example, if any of France/Spain’s processions in the New World needed ‘help’ or taking the world stage and acting as the mediator to end the war once both sides are exhausted.
That could be possible, and no doubt that James would love to be seen as Europe's peacemaker

Chapter 141: Danish Seas

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 141: Danish Seas

April, 1615

Christian looked at the paper on the table before him and sighed. Another failed venture to improve the economic system of his Kingdom. More stubborn nobles refusing to pay their due. More compromise required. He wanted to groan, but knew that doing so was pointless. He would just have to grit his teeth and get on with it.

To that end he looked at his minister for foreign affairs, Hans Bartholin, and asked. “What news do you bring of our brave adventurers?” He’d sent twenty men out from Denmark to find the Northwest Passage and to settle land in the New World. That had been at least a year ago.

“We received word from Captain Dahl, Sire.” Bartholin replied.

Christian leaned forward. Dahl was the man who’d been mad enough or brave enough to volunteer for this mission and Christian had always found his communication insightful. “What does the good Captain have to say?” He asked.

“Half the crew have been lost to illness or disease.” Bartholin said. “But the other half that have remained have managed to make good time.”

“And?” Christian asked. He didn’t want more disappointing news.

“He thinks that they should be able to make proper landfall in the land north of Iceland within the next few months, Sire.” Bartholin said.

“Truly?” Christian asked intrigued. Previous attempts to land on the territory and settle had failed badly.

“Yes, Sire.” Bartholin said, and as if anticipating Christian’s next question, the man continued. “The weather has improved and Dahl believes he has found the right food source to wade off any illnesses or disease.”

“Truly?” Christian asked barely able to believe it.

“Truly, Sire.” Bartholin replied.

“Excellent.” Christian replied. He wanted to sing for joy, but instead made a note to go to Church after this meeting to say a prayer of thanks to God for this.

“Any other news?” He asked Bartholin, deciding to keep his attention on the man for the time being.

“Yes, Sire.” Bartholin said.

Christian nodded, indicating that the man should continue. He hoped that it would be more good news. “It seems that King Gustavus of Sweden is experiencing a dip in popularity.”

“How so?” Christian asked, wondering if this was good news or if it could cause more trouble.

“Food prices in Sweden are rising dangerously fast, wages are falling and the King seems unable to truly handle the pressure. He spends most of his time with his wife and their growing family.” Bartholin said.

“How many children do they have now?” Christian asked.

“I believe that they are expecting their third child, Sire.” Bartholin said.

Christian whistled, clearly young people were as desperate for love making as ever. Christian then asked. “Will this come back to haunt us?” He didn’t want the people bordering his lands to get any ideas.

“I do not think so, Sire. For the time being the allure of the King of Sweden’s illustrious ancestors hold strong. But should something happen that ruins it, then perhaps it will.” Bartholin said.

“What do you suggest then?” Christian asked. He would not give anything to the brat, but maybe he could nudge him toward common sense.

“A word in the right ear. To someone who he might listen to.” Bartholin said.

“His mother?” Christian asked, the woman was a distant cousin of Christian’s if he remembered correctly, maybe that could work.

“Yes, Sire.” Bartholin said.

Christian considered this. He didn’t know the woman very well, but if it would keep the border stable then he’d take it up. “Very well.” He said, deciding to leave that matter for the time being.

“There was one other thing, Sire.” Bartholin said.

“Yes?” Christian asked wondering what it could be.

“A letter has come from London, from the hand of His Majesty King James.” Bartholin said.

“Saying what?” Christian asked.

“Inviting Your Majesty to come to London for a series of talks.” Bartholin said.

“About?” Christian asked, wondering just what his brother-in-law would want to discuss.

“The letter does not say, Sire, though I suspect it might have something to do with Spain.” Bartholin replied.

“Spain?” Christian asked, wondering why his brother-in-law would want to talk about Spain with him.

“Yes, Sire. I think that King James may wish to get your support if he decides to act against Spain.” Bartholin said.

“Why would he want to act against Spain?” Christian asked. Anne hadn’t mentioned anything about that in her last letter to him.

“A threat against the Prince of Wales’ life, Sire.” Bartholin said.

“What sort of threat?” Christian asked.

“Subterfuge and intrigue and danger, from what I have been able to find.” Bartholin said.

“I see.” Christian replied, he vaguely remembered Anne saying something about this in her last letter, that she suspected Spain had violated some agreement or the other. But whether he’d be of any help in getting things sorted was not something he was sure about. Danish trade with Spain was less than three percent either way.

“When does he wish for this meeting to occur?” Christian asked then.

“By the end of the year at the latest, Sire.” Bartholin said.

Christian nodded, he didn’t want to delay anything. “Very well, I shall write a letter to him in an official capacity, saying that I accept his invitation and wish for this meeting to occur as soon as possible.”

“Of course, Sire.” Bartholin replied nodding, and making a note.

Christian looked at the room at large and asked. “Any other news?”

There was a moment of silence, and then Count Dyre, the Minister for Finance spoke. “Work has been completed on the mines within Kongsberg, Sire.”

“When will they be operational?” Christian asked, iron had been discovered there and he wanted to make sure that they got the full benefit of the resource.

“Within a few weeks, once the final checks are done.” Dyre said.

“Excellent.” Christian replied. Perhaps his economic reforms could actually succeed. He just hoped everything went well. He was sure it would, after all, what was the worst that could happen?

Well, Christian is certainly faring better TTL than OTL. As far as i recall, his northern expeditions OTL were mostly disasters. I imagine that Henry, Robert and Mary would love listening to their Uncle Christian telling them stories of his naval achievements ;) Also, I love the irony that Christian has to stabilize Sweden TTL. This truly is a blessed TL so far.
“Excellent.” Christian replied. Perhaps his economic reforms could actually succeed. He just hoped everything went well. He was sure it would, after all, what was the worst that could happen?
This, however, scares me

VVD0D95

Banned
Well, Christian is certainly faring better TTL than OTL. As far as i recall, his northern expeditions OTL were mostly disasters. I imagine that Henry, Robert and Mary would love listening to their Uncle Christian telling them stories of his naval achievements ;) Also, I love the irony that Christian has to stabilize Sweden TTL. This truly is a blessed TL so far.

This, however, scares me
Oh indeed denmark may even get a few actual
Colonies here ;).

and lool yeah gustavus isn’t liking that.

and ayee

Chapter 142: Severance

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 142: Severance

April, 1615

Gustavus inhaled. He felt at peace here, deep within the green lands of Finland. No Danes to trouble him, no ministers demanding he sign this decree or that decree. Just him and Ebba, and the countryside. He wished he’d come away sooner, but he’d not found the right moment. Then there’d been a chance to go on a progress through Finland and he’d taken it.

He wished he could do this more often, but he couldn’t. Not really. Not if he wanted to fix things. And there was a lot that needed fixing. Sweden was broken and he was at fault. He should have pushed harder during the negotiations that ended the war with Denmark. He should have pushed for compensation. The Danes had gone for the war after all.

He exhaled. There was no point crying over the past. What was done was done and now he just had to accept it and try and find a way to make things work. Or make things better. He remembered what his mother had said before he’d left for Finland. He needed to be more visible. He needed to be more present.

She was right. He’d grown too distant, and that wasn’t right. He had to be seen to be believed. He had to…

“What are you thinking?” Ebba asked, drawing him away from his musings.

He turned around and looked at her. Her hair was down, and her cheeks were rosy. “About what my mother said.” He answered honestly.

“And?” Ebba asked.

“I think she’s right.” Gustavus said. “I’ve been far too distant from the people as of late.”

He expected Ebba to disagree, she and Mother rarely agreed on anything, which was why he was so surprised when she said. “I agree.”

“You do?” He asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I do.” Ebba said.

Gustavus raised an eyebrow.

“Don’t look so surprised.” Ebba said, laughing. Gustavus broke into laughter as well, before asking.

“And why do you agree?”

“Well, let’s think about it shall we? You’ve been spending a lot of time with the children and I, which is brilliant. And makes a nice change from how this is usually done. But at the same time, your other children need you. The people need to see you. Food prices are rising incredibly quickly, wages are falling, and of course there’s all that business with Poland as well. People need to feel reassured.”

“How am I supposed to reassure them when I don’t feel reassured myself?” Gustavus asked.

“You fake it.” Ebba said.

“Fake it?” Gustavus replied surprised.

“Yes, make it seem as though you are confident in everything. Bluster if you have to.” Ebba said.

“How?” Gustavus asked. He’d never been very good at that. Not like his father.

“Practise.” Ebba said.

“Practise?” Gustavus repeated.

“Yes, we’re here for what? Another month. Whenever someone comes up to speak to you, be they noble or peasant, act confident, answer with confidence and good nature, and people will believe you.” Ebba said.

“They will?” Gustavus asked. Surely, they would see straight through his ruse?

“Yes.” Ebba said.

“How can you be so sure?” Gustavus asked.

“Well, do you still feel sad and angry because of what happened earlier?” Ebba asked.

Gustavus was about to ask what his wife meant when it clicked. She was referring to the miscarriage she suffered earlier in the year, when they’d woken to the bed covered in blood. “No.”

“And why is that do you think?” Ebba asked.

“Because of you.” Gustavus said.

“Why?” Ebba asked.

“You don’t seem to be sad or angry about it, and thus I’m not sad or angry, or at least I don’t think I am.” Gustavus said, though as he spoke he realised that he’d not actually give it much thought.

“And if you act in a similar manner, confident, assured, and willing to listen, then the people will feel reassured.” Ebba said.

“Because they take their cues from me.” Gustavus surmised.

“Exactly.” Ebba said.

Gustavus smiled. “You truly are the smart one in our marriage.”

Ebba laughed. “You’d be lost without me.”

“I would.” Gustavus admitted.

There was a brief moment of silence, where they each alone with their thoughts. Wondering just what to do, and how to do it. The silence was broken by Ebba who asked. “What are you going to do about Sigismund?”

Gustavus sighed. “I do not know. He refuses to listen to reason.” Even though Sweden technically wasn’t involved in the war in Russia, there were men under La Gardie who were fighting for the Tsar against Poland, and as they were Swedes his cousin saw that as an affront, and demanded they be removed. However, given the Tsar was the one paying them, there wasn’t much Gustavus could actually do.

“Will he declare war?” Ebba asked.

“I do not think so. My spies in Poland report that the Sejm is growing restless. He’ll more than likely want to end the war with Russia soon.” Gustavus said.

“But what if he does?” Ebba pressed.

“Then we will have to handle it.” Gustavus said. “I have a rough understanding of where he will attack.” Estonia was likely.

“And?” Ebba asked.

“I am making the necessary arrangements.” Gustavus answered.

Ebba nodded somewhat relieved, and a silence fell between them once more. Gustavus allowed his mind to wander. He hoped everything would be resolved, that he would be able to reassure the people in the way that Ebba had suggested. But there was something nagging him at the back of his mind. Something that he couldn’t quite name.

It made him wonder if he’d be found out if he even tried to do what she’d suggested. Something that didn’t come naturally to him. He could not pretend everything was fine when it clearly wasn’t. But maybe with Ebba’s help he could try? She had said she would help him after all. So, perhaps he’d be able to manage after all.

He sighed then and murmured to himself. “It’ll be fine.”

Ebba seems to be a clever woman indeed. Gustavus is a lucky man.

Seems Sweden is in a mess. Gustavus needs a new economic model it seems.

Chapter 143: Suffolk's Lament

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 143: Suffolk’s Lament

May, 1615

“I do not know what to do.” Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk and Lord High Treasurer admitted. It was a painful admission for him, for he’d so long known what he needed to do, what levers to pull to ensure that the King kept him in his good graces and now things weren’t so clear.

“What do you mean?” His nephew, another Thomas Howard, this one Earl of Arundel asked.

“Spain has never been this badly unpopular at court, and the King refuses to listen to anyone who might suggest otherwise.” Thomas said.

“Why?” His nephew asked.

“Because the Prince of Wales has convinced the King that Spain tried to sabotage him during his campaign in Orkney.” Thomas said. When the King had told him this, Thomas had felt something sink in his stomach. He’d wanted to deny that Spain would do something like that, but he knew full well that they were capable of it.

“How would they do that?” Thomas’ brother William Howard asked.

“They had someone in the Prince’s camp who prevented letters and riders getting to their destination. The Prince claims he only found this out by deceiving them, and sending two riders out at once. One didn’t return.” Thomas said.

“And he thinks it’s the Spanish who’ve done this?” William asked, sounding sceptical.

“Yes.” Thomas said. “He’s convinced of it, and he’s managed to convince the King.”

“But why?” William asked. “Why would the Spanish do something so rash?”

Thomas wanted to say that he didn’t know, but he suspected he did. In reality, he suspected he knew very well why the Spanish wanted to do something like that. He didn’t get the chance to say anything though, for his nephew, the Earl of Arundel spoke then. “Because they are scared of the Prince.”

“Scared of him?” William asked, looking at their nephew as though he’d just grown a second head. “Why are they scared of him?”

Their nephew raised an eyebrow as if he couldn’t believe that William had asked such a question. Admittedly it was quite a foolish question, but still, it was deserving of an answer, which Thomas provided. “Because he is a Protestant through and through. His wife might be a Catholic, but he has never wavered. His faith is strong. He is popular with the people and he has a force of will that surpasses the King’s. They are terrified that he will take us away from their orbit.”

“And so, they’d really risk causing a war by sabotaging his letters?” William asked still sounding sceptical.

Thomas closed his eyes, knowing that when he answered, he’d be giving away the true extent of his involvement with Spain. “Yes.”

The next question was one that Thomas had been dreading. “How do you know?” William asked.

Thomas took a deep breath and then replied. “Because whenever I’ve met with the Spanish ambassador or someone associated with the embassy, they’ve always mentioned the Prince of Wales in the same tone that they talk about Maurice of Nassau. Fear and loathing.”

“How often have you spoken with them?” William asked.

“Since the King ascended the throne.” Thomas said, closing his eyes.

Instead of castigation, what came next surprised him. “We must find out who it was who was sabotaging the letters and whether they have an ally at court.” Thomas opened his eyes to find that it was his nephew who had said that.

“If we don’t then you are finished.” His nephew continued.

“The Prince suspects Lord Fraser.” Thomas said. Thomas only knew that because the King had let it slip one night whilst they were drinking. Thomas could see it; Fraser was slippery as anything.

“Could he have assistance at court?” His nephew asked.

“Most assuredly.” Thomas said. He doubted that Fraser would be working alone, the Spanish weren’t foolish enough to trust something like this just to one man.

“Then we need to find out who this person is, and how long they’ve been working for Spain.” Arundel said. “And we need to do it quickly.” A pause and then. “Do you have any idea of who it might be?”

Thomas shook his head. “Many of the old guard who were for Spain stopped having anything to do with Spain roughly two or three years ago.” At least that’s what he thought.

His nephew frowned. “Then we are going to have be very careful in how we approach this.”

“Would it not be better if we got someone else to have a look?” William asked.

“What do you mean?” Thomas asked looking at his brother in surprise.

“Well, if someone wants you to fall, they’ll be expecting to go looking for whoever it is that Fraser has at his beck and call. They’ll try and play it off as if you’re doing this to cover your own tracks. But if we get someone else to have a look then the same thing won’t be true. Of course this person has to be in good with the King.” William answered.

“Strathearn.” Thomas said immediately, whatever arguments the man had had with the King, the King was still fond of him, and he was skilled at hiding his tracks, at least, he had been.

“Strathearn.” William agreed.

“I will go and speak with him.” Arundel said then.

“Why you?” Thomas asked looking at his nephew, then he answered that question for himself. “If I go and then he starts investigating, it will look suspicious.”

“Exactly.” Arundel agreed. “No, better that I go and speak with him.”

“When will you go?” Thomas asked.

“Tomorrow.” Arundel said. “There are some things I need to sort out today before I depart for his estate.”

Thomas nodded, wishing, not for the first time that Strathearn actually spent time in London now instead of on his estate in the south. “Very well, be careful.”

Arundel smiled. “Of course.” The man got up then, prompting Thomas and his brother to get up as well, they hugged and then Thomas watched Arundel depart, leaving him alone with his brother.

He looked at the younger man and asked. “What do you think?”

“I think he can be trusted.” William said.

“Good.” Thomas said, he didn’t want to betray his nephew after all.

Games and Moves there Suffolk family. Lets hope for he sake of your heads that it works out heh?

Something does feel fishy about Spain making such a move- sure it feels like their MO, but it also seems too blatant, obvious. As if someone want that conclusion.

Who in England would benefit most from Henry dead and/or England at war with Spain? Could this be in an inside job? France maybe...?

VVD0D95

Banned
Games and Moves there Suffolk family. Lets hope for he sake of your heads that it works out heh?

Something does feel fishy about Spain making such a move- sure it feels like their MO, but it also seems too blatant, obvious. As if someone want that conclusion.

Who in England would benefit most from Henry dead and/or England at war with Spain? Could this be in an inside job? France maybe...?
It’s definitely looking like that isn’t it.

It’s definitely looking like that isn’t it.
Be interesting to see the Spanish Ambassador begging(?) Henry and James that it was nothing to do with Spain:
"What would we have to gain by attacking the Prince of Wales, we do not want war with England which such an attack could bring down upon our heads! You must believe me your Highnesses. Our intelligence suggests it is the French who are looking to disturb the peace. Even now their dictator is planning an invasion...."

Ambassador leaves, French ambassador arrives

"Your Highnesses I bring intelligence from France that informs us that Spain was behind the dishonourable attack on the Prince of Wales...."

James and Henry: "Hummmmm"