Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Sigismund took more from his humane Jagiellon side of his family and less from cruel Vasa side. If Sigismund was as cruel as his father was he'd not hestitate to get rid off uncle Charles for good for example, but Sigismund wasn't much into assasinating his opponents.

VVD0D95

Banned
Sigismund took more from his humane Jagiellon side of his family and less from cruel Vasa side. If Sigismund was as cruel as his father was he'd not hestitate to get rid off uncle Charles for good for example, but Sigismund wasn't much into assasinating his opponents.
Fair, though desperate times call for desperate measures no?

Karahar

Banned
Oh indeed Abd if he does get caught he’s in difficulty
Not too difficult. Relations with Russia will not get any worse. Russia will be much more offended if it finds out about the plans
division of Russia, with the areas under Tsar Ivan’s control remaining under his control, whilst the areas under Michael Shuisky’s control remain under his control and recognise him as Tsar
And the assassination attempt... Well, in this case, our people will simply respond to Sigismund in the same way.

VVD0D95

Banned
Not too difficult. Relations with Russia will not get any worse. Russia will be much more offended if it finds out about the plans

And the assassination attempt... Well, in this case, our people will simply respond to Sigismund in the same way.
Assassination for assassination?

Chapter 147: Hampton Court Resolved

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 147: Hampton Court Resolved

September, 1615

George Gledstanes, Archbishop of St Andrews rubbed his forehead. By the Lord Above was he tired! This damned conference had made him ill. Listening to Bishops, Archbishops and Deans and Archdeacons argue about theology, about the practise of wearing things, and about countless other things had drained his health. He didn’t know how long he had left to live.

He was just grateful that it was coming to an end. The King had grown tired of the constant delay and dithering and had sent Robert Rich to sort things out. Rich had come with thirty armed men, locked them all inside a room and refused to open the doors until they had resolved their disputes. On the first day they’d stubbornly refused, and then as food and wine had become scarce they’d slowly started caving. On the twentieth day, the Archbishop of Canterbury himself had come up to George to say they were ready for a vote.

George had informed Robert Rich about that, and Rich had then sent a letter to the King. The King had ordered Rich to open the doors, whilst also creating Rich Earl of Leigh. A fitting reward for a stubborn man, George felt. Still, at least the whole thing was coming to an end.

He glanced at the Archbishop of Canterbury who nodded. George stood up. “Sirs, we are gathered here today to finalise the decisions of this Conference. Issues have been voted on, but there remains one final issue that we must vote on.”

George paused as he felt a great pain wrack his chest. “The issue of whether we wish for Church Elders to serve as advisors and checks on the Bishops and Archbishops of the United Church.”

He saw some people murmur to one another, he ignored them and continued. “His Majesty has asked that we put it to a vote. Those in favour say please raise your hand.”

As he was the convenor of this conference, George couldn’t vote, but if he could he would vote for the motion. It was the only way of keeping his fellow Scots satisfied he knew.

He glanced to his left, his son Alexander, Archdeacon of St Andrews was one of the tellers, when Alexander nodded to indicate he’d made a note of those who’d raised their hands, George said. “Thank you. Now, those who are against please raise your hands.”

A slew of hands shot up. George noted that the Bishops of Salisbury and Exeter were two of the most prominent members to raise their hands. He just hoped that they’d be reconciled if things didn’t go their way.

He glanced at Alexander, who after a few moments looked at him and nodded. George extended his hand then. Alexander place two pieces of paper into it. He took the one at the top and opened it. “Those against 220.” That was a fair number.

He put that paper to one side and opened the other paper. “Those for 223.” Only a majority of three. Clearly this was still a divisive issue.

He exhaled, still the matter had been resolved for now. “Those in favour have it. Those in favour have it.”

Unlike in the Lords where such a notice would be greeted with cheers, here there was only muted acknowledgement. George decided to press on with the rest of what he’d prepared, thankful he’d written two speeches for this moment.

“Now that this issue has been resolved, let us unite together in one United Church of the British Isles. At this juncture, let us remember what has been agreed for the Church.”

He cleared his throat and continued. “Firstly, His Majesty the King is the Supreme Head and Governor of the United Church.” There were murmurs of agreement at that. “Secondly, the King James Bible as ordered by His Majesty is the Holy Bible of the Church.” More murmurs of agreement. “Thirdly, the episcopal succession is as follows.”

George blinked rapidly as an upsurge of pain hit him. When the pain had passed, he continued. “The senior most member of the Church is The Most Reverend Archbishop of Canterbury, followed by The Most Reverend Archbishop of York. Then The Most Reverend Archbishop of St Andrews, The Most Reverend Archbishop of Armagh, The Most Reverend Archbishop of Glasgow and finally The Most Reverend Archbishop of Dublin.” There had been arguments over this for quite some time. George had initially wanted his own Archbishopric to be after Canterbury, but due to York being older than his Archbishopric, they’d agreed for York to be second in primacy. It rankled but he’d get over it.

“The Thirty-Nine Articles are the founding doctrine of the Church.” George said.

He finished. There were other matters that had been decided but they would be included in the document that was being prepared for the King’s approval. “Are there any objections to what has been stated here today?”

Nobody said anything, therefore, George smiled and said. “Then as Convenor I declare this conference resolved. Welcome my brothers to the United Church of the United Kingdom of the British Isles.”

“Here! Here!” Someone proclaimed a cry that was taken up by several others. When it started to die down, George looked at the guards and indicated that they could open the doors. The guards did just that and people started to file out.

George watched them go, and felt himself sag in relief. It was done, finally done. Perhaps now he could rest easy and recover.

“That was skilfully done, Your Grace.” Someone said then.

George blinked and saw the Earl of Leigh with his beady eyes and bushy beard standing before him. “Sorry?” George replied.

“The way you handled everything was very skilfully done.” Leigh said again.

“I was simply doing my duty.” George replied, the pain in his chest getting worse.

“Well, I know that His Majesty greatly appreciates all the work that you have done.” Leigh said.

“I am happy to hear it.” George said.

Leigh nodded, then walked away. George remained where he was, wondering what all that had been about. Deciding that it was not worth his time to worry about it, he stepped forward and walked down the steps. He really wanted to sleep. Now that the Conference was done he’d be able to.

Chapter 148: Brothers' Quarrel

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 148: Brothers’ Quarrel

October, 1615

Matthias felt the ache in his bones. Old age was fast catching up with him. His eyes were starting to ache if he stared at documents for too long, and his hearing was getting worse. He knew that at some point he’d need to delegate more duties to his brothers, but Albert refused to leave Brussels until he was sure things with Spain were fine, and Matthias really didn’t trust Maximilian. And so he continued to move on, as his health got worse.

The only thing that really made any of it worth it was being a father. That was the only thing that kept him sane. Hearing his girls laugh, listening to his sons tell him in their own way about their day. It made life perfect, and as such he cursed himself for not marrying sooner. For leaving it till he was almost dead on his feet.

He picked up the paper that his son Maxi had written him and read it.

Dearest Papa,

We have been learning about the history of our dynasty in lessons.

Did you know there were once three different sorts of Habsburgs? Cunning ones, kind ones and different ones.

That our dynasty combines all three values into one, which is why we have continued to dominate the Empire for so long!

We will be learning about the first Habsburg soon.

I hope I can tell you all about it.

Love

Maximilian.

Matthias sighed. His son was growing up incredibly quickly. It was somewhat terrifying. A reminder of his own mortality. At the same time, he was happy, clearly his son was picking up things as quickly as he needed to. That was good. Matthias had been worried that his son might suffer from the same trait that had damaged Rudolf, and so was thankful that he didn’t.

Of course, the boy was only six, therefore, there was time yet for his full development to appear. Matthias only hoped that he was able to witness it all. Though he wasn’t sure he would be. His doctors weren’t optimistic about how long he might survive if he fell ill.

The door to his study opened and a soldier popped his head around. Matthias looked up from the letter his son had written and asked. “What is it Hans?”

“His Imperial Highness Archduke Maximilian would like to see you, Sire.” Hans said.

“My son?” Matthias asked, that couldn’t be possible, Maximilian was currently in Prague, where the weather was better for him.

“No, Sire. The Grandmaster of the Teutonic Order, Sire.” Hans said.

Matthias bit back a sigh, what did his brother want? “Let him in.” He commanded. Hans nodded, his face disappeared, and then Matthias younger brother Maximilian entered the room. Maximilian wore that ridiculous hat of his, his beard was greyish white, his eyes were narrowed. The man removed his hat and bowed. “Your Imperial Majesty.”

“What do you want?” Matthias demanded of his brother. He didn’t bother inviting him to sit down. He didn’t want to speak with him for too long.

Maximilian clearly took Matthias refusal to offer him a seat as the insult it was. His brow furrowed, and his words were harsh. “Why are you allowing the Protestant Union to keep meeting?”

Matthias sighed, not this again. “Because they are not committing treason.”

“But they are!” Maximilian snarled. “Their very existence is treason.”

“And how did you figure that out?” Matthias asked, already tired of his brother.

“They refuse to acknowledge the Supremacy of Rome and of His Holiness the Pope. They practise heresy and continue to demand things that are beyond their remit. They are treasonous bastards who must be dealt with.” Maximilian said.

“And how would you deal with them?” Matthias asked.

He half expected Maximilian to suggest some form of war, and therefore was pleasantly surprised when his brother said. “I’d invite them to Vienna.”

“And?” Matthias asked cautiously.

“I’d speak with them, see whether they could be reasoned with. If they could then they’d be allowed to return to their domains.” Maximilian said.

The use of the word allowed put Matthias on edge. “And if they could not be reasoned with? What would you do then?”

“Imprison them and place them under the Imperial Ban, confiscating their lands and titles.” Maximilian said.

Matthias snorted. “Of course you would, and that would drag us into war.” A war Matthias wasn’t sure they could win.

“It would be better than this situation we have now, where everything is just an uneasy mess.” Maximilian said.

“It really wouldn’t be.” Matthias countered.

“How so?” Maximilian asked.

“Right now, we know what the Protestant Union is doing, and what they’re planning. It’s nothing major.” Matthias said, that was the benefit of having merchant towns in the Union, they could be bribed. “But if there was a war, we’d lose that. They wouldn’t trust us, and neither would our allies.”

“So, you’re afraid of them?” Maximilian asked sounding disgusted.

“I am afraid of what could happen.” Matthias said.

“Why?” Maximilian demanded.

“Because I have a son to think of!” Matthias snapped.

“Surely having a son means you’d want the Protestant removed!” Maximilian snarled.

“Not if it means dragging the Empire into war, a war that will cost many thousands of lives!” Matthias snapped, his patience running thin.

“So, what are you going to do then?” Maximilian asked.

“I am going to wait.” Matthias said.

“Wait?” Maximilian asked. “Wait for what?”

“To see what they do, whether any divisions emerge in their Union, and if they do, I will offer them a way back from the darkness.” Matthias said.

“And you think that will work?” Maximilian asked.

“Yes.” Matthias said simply.

“How can you be sure?” His brother asked.

Matthias sighed, he really found talking to his brother to be exhausting. “Because that is human nature. When they fall out with new friends they seek out old friends for security. We shall be waiting to provide it.” His brother didn’t seem convinced but thankfully let the matter drop. Matthias indicated that he’d like to be alone, so his brother departed. Matthias slumped in his chair. He really needed to rest.

Family Tree of Gustavus Adolphus

VVD0D95

Banned
Family Tree of Gustavus Adolphus.jpg

Chapter 149: Politics

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 149: Politics

November, 1615

“Welcome to Heidelberg, Your Serene Highness, I trust that your journey was without issue.” Frederick said to the bull of a man opposite him.

“Thank you, Your Serene Highness.” John Georg, Elector of Saxony replied. “My journey was without issue, and I thank you for the welcome.”

Frederick nodded. He wondered why the Elector had come all the way from Dresden, did it have something to do with the Protestant Union? The Union that the Elector refused to join despite being the premier Protestant Prince in the Empire? If it was to do with that, then Frederick would urge the Elector not to waste his time. The Union was a waste of space. It seemed to be a place for the Elector of Brandenburg to show off his ego, whilst the Duke of Wurttemberg did nothing but demur whilst sniping in private. Frederick had found the whole thing infuriating.

He pushed that thought to one side, and asked the man. “If you do not mind me asking, Sir, what is it that has brought you here?”

“Frederick, may I call you Frederick?” The Elector asked, Frederick nodded, they were equals after all. “I have come to Heidelberg, to you, to discuss things that are happening within the Empire. Things that are concerning to us both.”

“Such as?” Frederick asked.

“Firstly, the Protestant Union.” John Georg said.

Frederick instinctively felt his guard go up, despite his earlier thoughts on that very topic. “What about it?” He asked.

“Do you think it will last or achieve anything?” John Georg asked.

Frederick considered the question, it was a rather loaded one, as a member of the Union he knew he had to answer positively for it, on the other hand as an individual he felt it was not going to achieve anything. “Truthfully? I do not know.” Was what he said.

“Why do you say so?” John Georg asked.

Again, Frederick felt the urge to guard his words. Cautiously he said. “There is a lot it could do, if it were able to overcome some members desire to boast and advance themselves.”

“Brandenburg.” John Georg said then.

“Sorry?” Frederick replied, confused.

“The Union could achieve more if it wasn’t for Brandenburg, that’s what you mean, isn’t it?” John Georg said.

Frederick took a breath. Evidently John Georg had an idea of what was right and what was going on. That prompted Frederick to say. “Yes. If Brandenburg knew when to keep his mouth shut the Union could achieve so much more.”

Frederick expected the Elector to ask what exactly the Union could achieve if the Elector of Brandenburg wasn’t as he was, but he didn’t. Instead, he simply asked. “Do you think you can achieve what you want remaining within it?”

“How do you mean?” Frederick asked confused.

“Do you think you can achieve a place of dominance within the Empire by remaining saddled with the Union?” John Georg asked.

Frederick thought on that. The Union was good to ensure that no one Protestant state felt as though they were being ignored, but for the ambitions that he harboured, to be dominant amongst the Protestants states? He wasn’t sure about that.

John George clearly took his silence as an answer. “You would be better off allying with me.”

“Why?” Frederick asked.

“I have the ear of the Emperor, and we are the two most prominent Protestant Electors.” John Georg said. “If we ally together, we can form a coherent bloc that can achieve most of what we want. Especially if there happens to be an election within the near future.”

“Do you think there will be?” Frederick asked. As far as he was aware, the Emperor was healthy, but the man was also old, and old people tended to experience changes in health like the wind.

“It is possible.” John Georg said. “I know the Emperor has not been in the best of health as of late, and arguments with his brothers and with his cousins will have made things worse.”

“What arguments?” Frederick asked.

“Things to do with the succession. The Emperor wants his brother Albert to stand in the election to be King of the Romans, but His Imperial Highness refuses to leave Brussels until things are sorted with Spain. Consequently, the Emperor’s other brother His Imperial Highness Archduke Maximilian is urging the Emperor to support Archduke Ferdinand for the Imperial title, something The Emperor will never agree to.” John Georg said.

“I see, and how can we benefit from this?” Frederick asked.

“In the near future, the Emperor is going to send missives to both of us asking how we’d vote if there was an Election.” John Georg said. “If we both agree to vote for his preferred candidate, he will be required to provide us with something in return.”

“Guarantees that Augsburg can be maintained.” Frederick said at once.

“Exactly.” John Georg said. “And if something happens to his brother before such an election can happen, well then we can both offer our votes for his son.”

“Can we?” Frederick asked, he’d thought that an Emperor could only be chosen if they were aged eighteen.

“Yes, under the Golden Bull we could serve as regent for the Archduke until he comes of age and is able to assume power himself.” John Georg said.

“I see.” Frederick replied. He wasn’t sure about this, something about tying himself quite so closely to Saxony didn’t sit right with him. He wanted to replace Saxony as the premier Protestant power, didn’t he? Allying with them would allow him to do that. Unless it gave him a chance to examine how the Elector operated from up close. That could be beneficial.

“You do not need to give me an answer right now.” John Georg said. “I will be here for a week, give me your answer then.”

“Very well.” Frederick replied. “In the meantime, please do enjoy everything we have to offer.”

“I intend to.” John Georg said with a smile, his tone made Frederick blink, he wasn’t sure he liked where this would go.

Pretty interesting development here but I can not understand for what reason Archduke Maximilian is pushing the candidacy of Archduke Ferdinand who is both young and with family as successor to Matthias as Emperor when the successor of Matthias here need to be a caretaker waiting for Matthias‘ son majority