Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Chapter 134: Pocahontas

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 134: Pocahontas

November, 1614

Anna fiddled with her dress. She didn’t want to be here, she wanted to be in St James’ with her children, reading to them or just watching them as they played, but the King had insisted and so Anna had left them with Urszula and come to Whitehall. The King was hosting a reception for John and Rebecca Rolfe, travellers from Virginia, who were quite the talk of court. Largely because Rebecca Rolfe was a member of a tribe native to Virginia and was considered amongst their royalty.

The Rolfes had arrived sometime ago, but due to various things, hadn’t been received until now. Anna sighed. She wished Henry could be here. He’d be fascinated by the Rolfes. No doubt he’d talk to them, ask them all sorts of questions and then discuss plans for further colonial expansion. But Henry was not here. Indeed, Anna wasn’t sure where he was. It had been two months since his duel with Robert Stewart and nobody had had anything from him or his commanders.

Nothing but silence. It was terrifying. The worst thoughts ran through her head. Henry dead, Henry lying somewhere abandoned and alone. She wanted to go to Orkney herself, but the King had dispatched the Earl of Mar, and so, she remained here. She tried to stay sane, for their children, if nothing else. Thankfully, Arthur and Anne were too young to know that something was wrong, and they chattered away happily most of the time. Anna was the one who worried, who couldn’t sleep.

The doors opened and Anna took a deep breath, taking Charles’ arm-he had grown stronger over the past few months and more handsome as well-she walked into the great hall of the Palace of Whitehall, trailing behind the King and Queen. The herald announced them all, and then they were walking toward the guests from Virginia.

The King and Queen greeted them first, shaking hands and whispering things to them, then they walked on. Anna and Charles greeted them next. John Rolfe was tall, with dark brown hair, and a fiery beard. He smiled and bowed. His wife, had dark olive skin and darker hair. She was beautiful.

“Your Highness.” The Rolfes said.

Anna nodded in greeting and glanced to her left, seeing the King and Queen in discussion with Lord and Lady de La Warr, turned back to the Rolfes and asked. “How was your journey?”

“Good, Your Highness, thank you.” John Rolfe said, his accent an odd mixture of English and Native-he had been born here though hadn’t he?

“I have heard that the voyage can be quite choppy depending on the waves, is that true?” Charles asked, his words coming out clearly, his lisp not present.

“It can be, Your Highness, but thankfully, things were calm whilst we travelled.” Rolfe answered.

Anna nodded, then turned to Rebecca Rolfe and asked her. “And how have you found London, Mrs Rolfe?”

Rebecca’s expression remained the same, but her tone showed her happiness. “It has been simply incredible, Your Highness. There is so much to see here, and so much to do. We have only done half of it.”

Anna smiled; it was clear that the woman before her was excited to be here. “And what have you seen?”

“We visited Westminster Abbey, and had a look around Parliament. We also explored St Pauls as well, Your Highness.” Rebecca answered.

Anna nodded, St Pauls wasn’t that impressive, indeed, she remembered Henry saying that if he had his way, he’d knock it down and rebuild it. But still, she could see how for someone like Rebecca it could be something marvellous. “I see, and you have been staying with Lord and Lady de La Warr have you not?”

“We have, Your Highness.” John Rolfe answered. “They have very kindly kept us in their London House.”

“Good.” Anna said.

There was a brief silence then, as they all tried to think of what more to say, a silence that was broken by Charles asking Rebecca. “Is it very odd being here?”

“Your Highness?” Rebecca Rolfe replied frowning in confusion.

“I… imagine…that…London is very different to Henricus, how different is it?” Charles stammered.

“Ah.” Rebecca said, smiling then. “London is much larger, more sophisticated, and the people are perhaps nicer.”

Anna snorted, if she thought the people were nicer here, then she hadn’t met very many of them. But then she was an oddity after all, a native-born girl come to the motherland.

“How long…how long are you staying here?” Charles asked.

John Rolfe answered. “Another two to three months, Your Highness. There are some things that I need to sort out for the colony.”

“Of course.” Charles said.

A bell rang then, signalling that they had to make their way to the dining area. Anna walked with Charles and took her seat, with Charles on her right. The Rolfes were to her left, sitting in a place of honour to the King’s right. The King stood up and raised a glass then. He looked at the Rolfes and said. “To John and Rebecca Rolfe, the first of many such couples!”

“To The Rolfes!” Anna and everyone else said, raising their cups high before drinking from them. The King smiled and sat down before beginning a conversation with John Rolfe.

Anna focused on eating the food that was placed before her. She tried to stop her mind from wandering to Henry, but failed. She wondered where he was, what he was doing, if he was safe, and why he hadn’t written to her. She could understand him not writing to the King, but not writing to her? That hurt. That hurt majorly.

“Your Highness?” A voice said then, pulling her out of her thoughts.

Anna blinked and saw Rebecca Rolfe looking at her. “Yes?”

“I hope…I hope that I am not overstepping here, but John mentioned that you were worried about His Highness the Prince of Wales….and I just wanted to say that if you ever wished to speak, I am here.” Rebecca said. “I know what it is like to worry about a loved one away at war.”

Anna wasn’t sure what to say to that, so she simply smiled and whispered. “Thank you.”

Is this the beautiful new beginning of a friendship between Pocahontas and Anna Maria? I love it. Hopefully, Henry is alright. I imagine that he's just busy slaying rebellious islanders.
“I have heard that the voyage can be quite choppy depending on the waves, is that true?” Charles asked, his words coming out clearly, his lisp not present.
I didn't know Charles had a lisp? I thought he only had a stutter

VVD0D95

Banned
How sweet and cute of Pocahontas and Anna Maria Wasa being together, I hope the both of them have a swell friendship in the Royal Court.
Oh they will
Is this the beautiful new beginning of a friendship between Pocahontas and Anna Maria? I love it. Hopefully, Henry is alright. I imagine that he's just busy slaying rebellious islanders.

I didn't know Charles had a lisp? I thought he only had a stutter
;)

land according to some records I’ve read, he did, though it disappeared as he got older

“I need your help to bring down Suffolk.” James said.

“I’ve also had him draw up a patent to create you Earl of Buckingham and Viscount Villiers.” James continued. George’s mouth fell open even further. “You will need to be of an equal rank for the Star Chamber to take your accusations seriously.”
Well that's one heck of a promotion with strings attached. Good luck George.

A lot of people will hate your for this just cos you are the King's favourite. Just ask Carr!

As his horse galloped through the woods, James found himself contemplating who he would name as his chief minister when Suffolk fell. Maybe he should give the role to Henry, or maybe he should give it to George. He would decide when the time came. He let out a little whoop as he spotted a deer in the distance. He urged his horse forward, and prepared to strike. The dogs were barking, and everything seemed right with the world.
Give the job to Henry!

Then he also cannot just go gallivanting off whenever so you can keep him close James.

Though giving Chief Minister to you son might be an insult to all the other capable nobles. Better than your lover er favourite though.

VVD0D95

Banned
Well that's one heck of a promotion with strings attached. Good luck George.

A lot of people will hate your for this just cos you are the King's favourite. Just ask Carr!

Give the job to Henry!

Then he also cannot just go gallivanting off whenever so you can keep him close James.

Though giving Chief Minister to you son might be an insult to all the other capable nobles. Better than your lover er favourite though.
Oh I think Carr will hate george as well aha.

decisions decions eh

It's been 2 months with no word from Orkney? That is worrying. If Stewart had captured Henry he would be bragging about it. If Henry had defeated Stewart why has no word been sent? Orkney is not so far that word cannot reach the mainland or London by now...

Maybe the Norwegians have invaded and Henry and Steward are fighting them off together?
Maybe Henry started for home with Steward in chains but got blown off course and is now in Iceland?
Maybe Steward captured Henry but Henry got sick has Stewart does not want to say or demand anything until the Prince lives?
Maybe Steward captured Henry, but Henry has been talking and trying to work out a compromise?
Maybe there is a damm big storm and Orkney has been cut off all this time?
Maybe Aliens turned up and whisked Henry and his crew off to the Fey lands?

VVD0D95

Banned
It's been 2 months with no word from Orkney? That is worrying. If Stewart had captured Henry he would be bragging about it. If Henry had defeated Stewart why has no word been sent? Orkney is not so far that word cannot reach the mainland or London by now...

Maybe the Norwegians have invaded and Henry and Steward are fighting them off together?
Maybe Henry started for home with Steward in chains but got blown off course and is now in Iceland?
Maybe Steward captured Henry but Henry got sick has Stewart does not want to say or demand anything until the Prince lives?
Maybe Steward captured Henry, but Henry has been talking and trying to work out a compromise?
Maybe there is a damm big storm and Orkney has been cut off all this time?
Maybe Aliens turned up and whisked Henry and his crew off to the Fey lands?
All possible apart from the Norse invading, don’t think Christian would
Do that to his nephew or brother in law

All possible apart from the Norse invading, don’t think Christian would
Do that to his nephew or brother in law

Norway is under a union with Denmark, which is ruled by Henry's uncle, Christian IV. No way are they invading, especially not as they likely are each other's closest allies at the moment
Should I have put a ;) on the end of that line? I was being flippant.

Perhaps I should have put 'Maybe the Norse or undead Vikings are invading' instead? Heh.

Was that mystery shipment from the Spanish colony a 'fuck you' donation of a whole load of cowpox-infected cows?

Also just binged this over the last two days and enjoyed it a lot.

Chapter 135: Let Me Go

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 135: Let Me Go

December, 1614

Felipe banged his fist on the table and grunted with frustration. He glared at Lerma and said. “We’ve lost our person in the Princess of Wales’ household. You said that this wouldn’t happen!”

Indeed, Lerma had even placed a wager on it with Felipe, a wager he’d lost when the third consecutive letter that had been sent had gone unanswered.

“I know, Sire, and for that I ask that you forgive me.” Lerma replied.

“Why has she stopped answering our letters?” Felipe demanded. “Does she not need the pension?”

“I think she has become soft, Sire.” Lerma said. “You know what women are like. They are sentimental.”

Felipe growled then. It did not do to have his main source within the household of the Princess of Wales become soft. He needed information, he needed to know what the future King of the British Isles was like. And now he didn’t have that. “Suffolk has stopped accepting the pension we offered him as well.” Felipe pointed out. That had surprised him massively, he had thought that man would continue accepting the pension for years to come. “Why?”

“I do not know, Sire. Though I suspect it has something to do with King James’ new favourite.” Lerma answered.

“Who?” Felipe asked.

“George Villiers. The boy has been created an Earl and a privy councillor.” Lerma said. “I believe Villiers and his allies at court are looking into Suffolk, and thus Suffolk is trying to avoid giving them reason to remove him.”

“So, we have nobody in London who can actually help us?” Felipe asked, somewhat saddened. He wanted the British Isles complacent and bought, not actively engaged in the affairs of the world.

“Well, we do have our man in the Prince of Wales’ army who has been preventing letters from Orkney reaching London.” Lerma offered.

“And has that done any good?” Felipe asked. He’d not really approved of that plan, but given everything else that had been happening with the British, perhaps it was the best they could do.

“It has caused panic in London. The King is worried that his heir is dead, the King’s government is making plans in case the man is dead, and everyone is wondering what to do next.” Lerma answered.

Felipe nodded and then asked. “And what benefit has this brought us?”

“The distraction of the British government, Sire.” Lerma answered. “Which means that they cannot focus completely on what we are doing in the New World.”

“And what are we doing in the New World?” Felipe asked.

“Approaching certain undesirables to harass the British in their colony and to prevent them from ascertaining new ground for a new colony, Sire.” Lerma said.

“And how successful has that been?” Felipe asked.

“It is beginning to work, Sire.” Lerma replied.

Felipe nodded, he didn’t want to get involved in all of that hairy business, so would leave it to Lerma, and if it failed, then he could blame it on Lerma when the wider council called for blood.

He took a breath, perhaps he had learned something from his father after all, he’d need to tell Isabella that. Maybe then she’d stop seeing him as a child.

He pushed the thought of his overbearing sister to one side and focused instead on the issue of France. “What word do you have from our friends in Paris?” There had been a change in government in Paris and Felipe wanted to know whether that change would directly impact their plans or not.

“The Prince of Condé has found himself facing obstacles that he didn’t expect, Sire.” Lerma answered.

Felipe leaned forward, intrigued. “What sort of obstacles?”

“Well, firstly, many of the council are against his overtly aggressive stance towards us. He wants war to prove his credentials, whilst the council want to sort out the taxation issue to balance the budget.” Lerma said.

Felipe snorted, money, the be all and end all of government. “And how is he coping with that?”

“Not well, at all, Sire. He has already threatened to arrest several members of the Council and only desisted because one of them went to the King.” Lerma said.

“I see.” Felipe said. “And what else?”

“Condé is trying to enrich his own purse and that of his family’s. He’s bribed or forced several office holders to sign away their offices to him, in violation of one of the key laws of France, and he’s also started aligning more with the Huguenots, much to the consternation of the merchantmen of Paris.” Lerma said.

“Can we exploit that?” Felipe asked, remembering how his own father had done something similar during the French Wars of Religion and how productive that strategy had been.

“I believe we can, Sire.” Lerma replied. “But I would recommend waiting for a little while.”

“Why?” Felipe asked. “Surely if we are to get the most out of this we must act now, whilst things are happening?” After all, they didn’t want to miss the advantage.

“Because it will be expected.” Lerma said. “Condé is not a fool; he will expect us to be contemplating doing something like this and as such will not be quite as likely to do something that would actually benefit us.”

“Like what?” Felipe asked.

“Like providing arms to certain Protestants within the disputed regions.” Lerma said, referring to the regions that were still contested between the Spanish Netherlands and the Dutch Republic.

“And why would he do that?” Felipe asked.

“Because Condé wants to be like his father, but he has not the brains to succeed.” Lerma said.

“I see.” Felipe replied, he wasn’t convinced, but if Lerma seemed sure of it, then perhaps it wouldn’t hurt to see how things turned out. “And he hasn’t said anything about the betrothals?” Two betrothals, one for his eldest daughter to the King of France, and another for his son to the King’s eldest sister.

“He hasn’t, Sire.” Lerma replied.

“Very well.” Felipe replied, they’d just have to wait and see then.

“Well, we do have our man in the Prince of Wales’ army who has been preventing letters from Orkney reaching London.” Lerma offered.”

If Suffolk ever wanted to prove his loyalty to King James bringing him news the Spanish are doing this would be it.

May also provoke a (trade?) war…

VVD0D95

Banned
“Well, we do have our man in the Prince of Wales’ army who has been preventing letters from Orkney reaching London.” Lerma offered.”

If Suffolk ever wanted to prove his loyalty to King James bringing him news the Spanish are doing this would be it.

May also provoke a (trade?) war…
Oh agreed, the big question I think isnwiether
Or not Suffolk knows or can find this out on time

Ah Spain in 1600s timelines - quite hard to write since you have to come to a decision as to whether the rot has already set in and their fall is inevitable or if they can continue their shocking amount of dominance