Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Chapter 132: Duellist

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 132: Duellist

September, 1614

Henry rolled his shoulders, hearing the armour squeak slightly. He would need to get it oiled when this was done. Robert Stewart had accepted his challenge and had come with his army. The army was somewhere off in the distance, just as Henry’s army was. Only thirty men on either side were present, to witness the fight.

Henry focused when Stewart appeared before him. The man had dark hair, dark eyes, and light skin. He nodded to Henry and said. “Your Highness.”

“Robert Stewart.” Henry said.

“What are your terms?” Stewart asked, his voice thick with an accent.

“First person to surrender loses. If I surrender, I have permission from the King to grant you a pardon and to restore you to the title of Earl of Orkney.” Henry said, he’d been surprised that the King had sent word to propose that. He had thought that the King would want it the other way.

“And if I surrender?” Stewart asked.

“Then you will be taken to London to be tried for treason.” Henry said.

Stewart nodded, then turned around and walked back a few paces. Henry did the same. He took his helmet from John Harington and murmured. “His armour is weak.” It was the boiled leather that many of the Highlanders seemed to prefer wearing in this part of Scotland. That could mean that he was a very good fighter or he was naïve. Henry looked at John and said. “Make sure you give the letter to Anna, if I don’t make it.”

“Yes, Your Highness.” John said. Henry had written a letter last night for Anna Maria, telling her how much he loved her and their children, and asking that she not mourn him too much. All this was only if he died of course. He had every intention of coming back and being there for her and their children. Including their newest son, Henry Sigismund, who had been born earlier in the month.

Henry put his helmet on and then turned around and stepped back toward where Robert Stewart was waiting. The man wore a helmet, but one that had a visible gap, so that Henry could see his eyes and his mouth quite clearly. He wondered at that, was that some sort of Norse design?

He pushed that thought to the side and drew his sword. It shone in the light. He took a steadying breath, and then stepped forward, Stewart did the same, his sword glinting in the light also. Henry stepped back as Stewart swung. The man’s sword missed Henry. Henry moved to his right and Stewart followed. The man swung again, Henry parried the blow.

The man grunted and swung again. This time, Henry grunted as the blow hit his right shoulder. The armour prevented him from feeling its full force, but he still felt the tingle. He pushed forward causing Stewart to fall off balance. Henry struck then, blow to the man’s right side, that hit the leather and opened a cut. Stewart grunted.

Henry stepped back. He didn’t think that Stewart would surrender after that. And he was proven right when the man moved forward, swinging wildly. Henry blocked one swing, and then another, the third hit his left shoulder, but again, only sparks emerged from that. Henry danced back to miss the man’s fourth swing. He was much more of a wild fighter than Henry had thought. Had he truly been this wild when he’d killed Caithness?

Henry moved forward then, ducking a swing and stabbing into the man’s armour. The leather creaked. Henry pulled his sword out and stepped back just as the man was about to swing at him. “Cunt!” The man yelled. Henry laughed. He stepped forward and ducked and then swung. He felt something solid then, a bit of resistance before it departed. He mistimed his duck back as the man’s swing connected, sending Henry stumbling back.

The man laughed, and charged at Henry. He ducked one swing and another, the next one hit him though, sending him stumbling back. The man had clearly found his rhythm. Henry now had to counter. He stepped forward, taking the force of the blow. His armour preventing it from damaging him too badly. He then stepped forward again, pushing into the man, knocking him back slightly. He then swung. The sword dug into Stewart’s armour, Henry pulled it out and kicked the man.

Stewart fell. Henry swung, and got the man on his shoulder. The man grunted. Henry swung again, and got the man on his other shoulder. Stewart yelled. Henry stepped back, and the man slowly got up. He didn’t pick up his sword instead he drew a knife. Stewart looked at Henry and snarled, before charging at him. Henry waited and waited, the man got closer and closer, then at the last moment, Henry moved to the side, raised his hands up and cut the man’s throat. He turned and watched as Stewart staggered then fell.

Henry moved over to him and heard him gurgle. “I surrender.”

Henry nodded and was about to say something when he heard a horn sound somewhere. “What was that?” Henry asked, looking at John.

The man on the ground answered. “Your judgement.” The horn sounded again, and this time, the ground started to shake.

“What do you mean?” Henry asked looking at the man as blood poured out of him.

“Lord Stewart will destroy you.” The man said.

“You are Robert Stewart are you not?” Henry demanded.

The man laughed, and coughed, blood spurting out from his wound. “I…I…I am not.” The man answered then.

Henry swore, he looked at John and yelled. “Get Sir Edward, get the men.” John ran off, and Henry looked to where he’d heard the horn sound, he could see figures in the distance. He swore and ran off after John. They’d been tricked and now he had to make sure that they didn’t pay the price for that. How had he not thought this would happen? How?!

Family Tree of Henry Frederick, Prince of Wales

VVD0D95

Banned
Henry Frederick family tree.jpg

VVD0D95

Banned
Which exact chapter and number?
“Yes, Your Highness.” John said. Henry had written a letter last night for Anna Maria, telling her how much he loved her and their children, and asking that she not mourn him too much. All this was only if he died of course. He had every intention of coming back and being there for her and their children. Including their newest son, Henry Sigismund, who had been born earlier in the month.

Chapter 132

Deleted member 147978

Chapter 132
Cool beans then. May God bless Prince Henry Sigismund Stuart, would-be Duke of Essex.

You'd have thought Henry or his men would have thought this was likely. Didn't Henry himself pull a switching trip himself not so long ago?

Good luck Henry.

VVD0D95

Banned
You'd have thought Henry or his men would have thought this was likely. Didn't Henry himself pull a switching trip himself not so long ago?

Good luck Henry.
Oh indeed though given the whole honour thing, Henry probably felt as did his advisors that Stewart woule
Comply.
The change or Regency. The 'outsiders' comment when he signs the Regency to them. Louis' mother's reactions.

There is far more going on here than we, and Louis are being informed of.
this is fair ;)

Chapter 133: Villiers

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 133: Villiers

October, 1614

James cursed as the deer scampered away. That was the third one that had gone beyond his shot. He shook his head and urged his horse on.

“Are you well, Sire?” A voice asked to his right.

James turned and saw George Villiers looking at him in some concern.

James wanted to say that he was fine, that everything was fine, but that would be a lie. And as King he could not lie. Therefore, he said. “I am not.”

“What is it that ails you, Sire?” George asked.

“My son, Henry.” James said. “He has not done as he said he would. He has not written to give his report on what has happened.”

James had been against Henry challenging their cousin to a duel, but the younger man had insisted and eventually James had complied. He was beginning to regret it now, as the silence extended. Henry had only written a letter to thank God for the delivery of another son and the health of his wife, but nothing since then.

“Perhaps there have been things that have prevented His Highness from writing. There is usually quite a lot that needs to be done in the aftermath of a campaign, Sire.” George said.

“I know but that wouldn’t stop Henry from writing. After the campaign on Lewis, he wrote almost immediately. Here there’s been nothing.” James replied. It was perhaps nothing and George was likely right, but something was gnawing at James, something that was convincing him that there was a serious issue.

“I can go to Orkney and see what the matter is if you would like, Sire.” George said then.

James turned around to face forward and to guide his horse. Whilst he appreciated the offer that George had made, he needed the man here. He couldn’t sleep when George was away from him. Something he’d never experienced with Robert. “Thank you, but no. I will send Mar.” Mar had been the one who’d failed to handle Stewart to begin with, he could resolve this thorny issue.

“Of course, Sire.” George replied.

Silence fell between them then as James continued to lead the hunt. The dogs were silent as well, which worried James. Had he allowed his concerns to scare away the prey? He sighed. Things weren’t going well for him. Henry was missing as far as he was concerned, Anne was worried because of that, and he was worried because Anne was worried. And then of course there was that whole business with Suffolk.

The man was a very good plotter and schemer, of that James had no doubt, but his actual abilities as a minister were constantly coming into question. James had had to attend more meetings of the Council with Suffolk as his minister than he’d ever had to do when Salisbury was around. And that was unsettling. Suffolk claimed to be as good if not better than Salisbury, and yet what James had seen so far suggested the complete opposite.

James wanted to remove Suffolk, but he wasn’t sure how to. The man had friends all over court, and of course there had been no big thing that could justify removing him. He stopped his horse then, bringing the entire court to a halt. He turned and looked at George. “There is something I need you to help me with, George.”

“Anything, Sire.” The younger man replied sincerely.

“I need your help to bring down Suffolk.” James said.

“Suffolk, Sire?” George replied sounding uncertain.

“Yes.” James said. He looked around to make sure that Suffolk wasn’t around, then remembered that Suffolk had asked for leave to go back to his estates for a time, apparently his wife wasn’t keeping well. He looked back at George and continued. “The man has failed in his duty. He is incompetent and corrupt, and yet I lack the necessary means to remove him.”

“Surely the mere fact that you wish to remove him should be enough, Sire?” George asked.

James snorted, there were times when George’s youth showed up, like just now. “That is not enough, George. Suffolk is my chief minister; I must have due cause to remove him.”

“How can I help, Sire?” George asked.

Impressed by how unperturbed George was by what he’d just said, James answered. “Help me find whatever compromising evidence there exists on Suffolk. Be it bribes, stealing from the Crown, anything. Compile it together into a document and get witnesses. When you have gotten all of that present it before the Star Chamber.”

“The Star Chamber, Sir?” George replied sounding nervous.

James nodded at the man. “I know you need to be a Privy Councillor to present against Suffolk, so, I’ve had the Lord Chancellor draw up the writ to make you one.”

George’s mouth fell open then. “I….I…”

“I’ve also had him draw up a patent to create you Earl of Buckingham and Viscount Villiers.” James continued. George’s mouth fell open even further. “You will need to be of an equal rank for the Star Chamber to take your accusations seriously.”

George composed himself, his back straightening as he answered. “I….thank you, Sire, I am truly honoured.”

James nodded. “Good, now make sure you get to work the moment we get back to London.”

George nodded. “Of course, Sire.”

James smiled, then spurred his horse forward, with that burden off his chest, he felt more able to get on with the business of the hunt. Hopefully this time they would find something and they could feast on it for dinner this evening. Otherwise, this entire trip would have been wasted. As his horse galloped through the woods, James found himself contemplating who he would name as his chief minister when Suffolk fell. Maybe he should give the role to Henry, or maybe he should give it to George. He would decide when the time came. He let out a little whoop as he spotted a deer in the distance. He urged his horse forward, and prepared to strike. The dogs were barking, and everything seemed right with the world.

He let out a little whoop as he spotted a deer in the distance. He urged his horse forward, and prepared to strike. The dogs were barking, and everything seemed right with the world.
It's these kind of sentences that worry me hahaha. I always feel as though the next one will be "Suddenly, James felt his horse give way under him, and as he looked down, he saw that it had tripped on a molehill. The next thing he knew, he was flying towards a tree, and then everything went white"

VVD0D95

Banned
It's these kind of sentences that worry me hahaha. I always feel as though the next one will be "Suddenly, James felt his horse give way under him, and as he looked down, he saw that it had tripped on a molehill. The next thing he knew, he was flying towards a tree, and then everything went white"
Loool