AHC: Poland, complete world conquest!

Your challenge: with a PoD no earlier than 1000AD, have Poland conquer the entire world.

By this I mean, at minimum Poland has total domination over the globe, in a similar way to Britain in the 19th century. At maximum, Poland has completed a total conquest of all of the planet, either by direct control or vassals and allies.

Poland should have no remaining major rivals capable of challenging it for power. Other nations can exist, but they should be either too weak to have a chance of overthrowing Polish dominance, or they have been defeated at some point and vassalised, or they are under Polish influence politically and or economically.

Possible?

They'll definitely need to completely defeat Sweden and Russia, and eliminate any kind of German polity in East Prussia.

One good start would be the complete and total destruction of the Teutonic Knights and the full annexation of East Prussia into her realm. Konigsberg, subsequently renamed Krolowiecz (the Polish name for the city), would be the hub and heart of Polish trade in the Baltic and just be seen as a full part of the Polish realm since it's conquest in the early 15th century. Any kind of future Russian turmoil that we know of is certainly butterflied away, but this newly powerful Polish-Lithuanian state may have the stability to influence Russian politics for quite some time.

Easiest way I can see is if the attempt at a Polish-Lithuanian personal union with Russia succeeds, ultimately resulting in permanent Polish-Russian unification and Poland reaping the massive dividends. Russia OTL was one of the nations with the best shot at "world dominance;" a Polish-Russian-Lithuanian Commonwealth seems to have the potential to be a hyperpower.

Easiest way I can see is if the attempt at a Polish-Lithuanian personal union with Russia succeeds, ultimately resulting in permanent Polish-Russian unification and Poland reaping the massive dividends. Russia OTL was one of the nations with the best shot at "world dominance;" a Polish-Russian-Lithuanian Commonwealth seems to have the potential to be a hyperpower.

Who would reap these benefits is a big question (IMO, this would be not Poland) but even this union is going to be far away from being the world only superpower (Russian empire or the SU never got to that level). You can start with the geography not being very conductive to the massive overseas adventures (all members of your "commonwealth" were notoriously weak in that area). Then goes an issue of the economic development: unless the whole thing starts early in the Middle Ages and then goes noticeably different from the OTL, the monstrosity remains a relatively backward predominantly agricultural empire and you have to figure out how to make it into the world's dominating industrial power.

Who would reap these benefits is a big question (IMO, this would be not Poland) but even this union is going to be far away from being the world only superpower (Russian empire or the SU never got to that level). You can start with the geography not being very conductive to the massive overseas adventures (all members of your "commonwealth" were notoriously weak in that area). Then goes an issue of the economic development: unless the whole thing starts early in the Middle Ages and then goes noticeably different from the OTL, the monstrosity remains a relatively backward predominantly agricultural empire and you have to figure out how to make it into the world's dominating industrial power.

I think there is coal in Poland. Maybe this could help?

World domination... whoa boy.

Let's start by removing the German threath. A strong polish kingdom conquers Moravia and Pomerania all the way to the Elbe, eleminating a german-dominated baltic.

Poland is still invaded by Mongols and fractures into rival princedoms, the prince of Warsaw becomes their favorite. Eventually breaking free, unifying the Polish princes and beginning a polish push eastwards.

This atleast puts Poland in control of Eastern Europe and Siberia.

I think there is coal in Poland. Maybe this could help?

There is coal in Russia as well but to the best of my knowledge Russia Empire (which ended with having a big part of the Polish territory) did not end up being the most developed country in the world. There should be some greater changes earlier in a path of development and I have no idea what they should amount to (*).

Or perhaps you have to cancel the industrial revolution thus allowing the "empire" to win by a sheer weigh of the numbers (you'll need to increase its population dramatically comparing to OTL).

(*) A seemingly popular genre in the modern Russian literature is "popadanets", a person from our time being somehow placed into a position of power in medieval/post-medieval Muscovite state (and sometimes all the way to 1914) or a minor German state. This person (in the best tradition of Mark Twain) not just possesses a wide variety of skills in all imaginable areas from metallurgy and all the way to the advanced military tactics but also capable of successful application of these skills in the new environment which results in an unbeatable army and economy capable of producing <whatever you can imagine>. As I understand, the immediate enemy to deal with is the PLC (as a minimum reconquest of Smolensk, etc.) but the more "advanced" authors are seemingly targeting the Perfidious Albion: by whatever reason they don't like it in a modern Russia (not that I read too many of these books, most of them are so badly written that glancing over is the best one can do).

Last edited:
I doubt Poland could achieve world domination or even the same amount of influence as OTL's Russia, but I believe they could manifest into a European power. As others have started, you would need to neuter Prussia, Sweden and Russia before they could achieve dominance. Maybe have the Jagiellion dynasty survive or have Sigismund III accept the demands of the Russian people in order to have that nation under Polish influence. Its also important to note the western powers and how they would react to a powerful Poland and vice versa.

I'm curious as to how this would effect major wars such as the war for Spanish succession and the seven years war. Especially the later since Russia would lack any major ground in eastern Europe and Prussia probably doesn't even exist.

The Poles, already being disadvantaged by their geographic position, need to be more proactive in screwing some of their neighbors over, so long as they're powerful enough to throw their weight around.

I'm gooing to continue off the POD I brought up in my earlier post this thread, with Poland-Lithuania in full and perpetual control of East Prussia and the re-christened Krolowiecz after crushing the Teutonic Knights and their remaining vassals/affiliates once and for all, thereby eliminating an effective German presence on that portion of the Baltic.

They'll have to take some time to consolidate all their gains before they decide to expand again. They should begin by shoring up the rest of their Baltic advantage, northwards through Latvia, Livonia, and possibly all the way up to Estonia and Ingria, bringing all the major ports and trading centers under their direct control or sphere of influence. This would of course bring them into conflict with the Grand Duchy of Moscow and all their ambitions to unify the Orthodox Slavic states of the east under themselves. This wouldn't be easy, considering they also need to defend and secure all their borders with the HRE and Hungary. However, being able to control a huge chunk of the Baltic trade could bring them far more wealth than what they could have managed and help them reduce the strength of the Hanseatic League. I don't believe they could fully defeat Moscow in the 15th Century, but they could definitely deny them land, sea access, and trade to keep them from growing too much and reinforce the notion that Poland is the stronger of the two, all while keeping the Slavic states east of them fragmented. Furthermore, if Poland could be state to finally defeat and evict the Golden Horde, it's prestige in Europe would increase a lot.

krieger

Banned
Your challenge: with a PoD no earlier than 1000AD, have Poland conquer the entire world.

By this I mean, at minimum Poland has total domination over the globe, in a similar way to Britain in the 19th century. At maximum, Poland has completed a total conquest of all of the planet, either by direct control or vassals and allies.

Poland should have no remaining major rivals capable of challenging it for power. Other nations can exist, but they should be either too weak to have a chance of overthrowing Polish dominance, or they have been defeated at some point and vassalised, or they are under Polish influence politically and or economically.

Possible?

I think that best way for doing this realistically is to erase Rurik from history. Erasing Rurik would ensure that "Russia" stays divided and weak - there will be Askold and Dir state in Kiev, something in Novogrod (but not as strong as OTL Russia), Drevlans and Radimichi and Viatichi could be a huge factor still (and it will be benefitable for Poland, because Radimichi and Viatichi were Western Slavs not Eastern Slavs, and they came from Poland and therefore could be easily absorbed into Polish nation. Boleslav the Brave OTL conquered Kiev and was regarded highly by Rus's nobility, so if he removes Khazars from Kiev that he could end up as a overlord of this mess and therefore Poland would absorb whole "Russia" in itself, when it was pagan and if Boleslav baptises and unifies these area there is literally no difference between "Russians" and "Poles" and in addition Poland has Lusatia, Moravia and it's southern border is Danube.

Polish-Lithuanian-Muscovite Confederation is the only way of Polish world conquest. Otherwise even the "reformed" Poland Lithuania is no more than 19th century France. At that point you just have "what if Russia expanded west way earlier than OTL". I'm sure they could grab some Caribbean islands and maybe rule Alaska and the West Coast down to northern California--that's pretty significant after all.

IMO it's kind of boring since you're just making an earlier Russian Empire rather than dealing with what a more powerful Commonwealth would face.

Polish dominion over the Holy Roman Empire, possibly from them being integrated into it somehow, seems like a good start.

And perhaps unifying the Empire through diplomatic means...

They'll definitely need to completely defeat Sweden and Russia, and eliminate any kind of German polity in East Prussia.

One good start would be the complete and total destruction of the Teutonic Knights and the full annexation of East Prussia into her realm. Konigsberg, subsequently renamed Krolowiecz (the Polish name for the city), would be the hub and heart of Polish trade in the Baltic and just be seen as a full part of the Polish realm since it's conquest in the early 15th century. Any kind of future Russian turmoil that we know of is certainly butterflied away, but this newly powerful Polish-Lithuanian state may have the stability to influence Russian politics for quite some time.

The Ottomans will also be a problem.

But would The PLMC have enough motive to colonise Northern Asia?

Or perhaps you have to cancel the industrial revolution thus allowing the "empire" to win by a sheer weigh of the numbers (you'll need to increase its population dramatically comparing to OTL).

Or the IR can start there (and take a while to reach the rest of Europe)