Across the high frontier: a Big Gemini space TL

I have changed Chelomei late life ITTL.
I never really understood how Chelomei died OTL. The official story is that somewhere in December 1984 he had his legs crushed by his Mercedes while opening his garage, and died at the hospital of complications. Whatever, his death was accidental, he was (AFAIK) pretty healthy. The accident near miss is a nod to his OTL fate. :p

So Chelomei won't die this day, and probably live until the 2000's. Interestingly enough IOTL his deputy Yefremov took over in 1984 and lasted two more decades.

Meanwhile his rocket empire has been entirely taken over by Glushko, which turned it into his own space program running along Chertok MKBS.Unlike Chelomei Glushko wasn't very healthy and died of old age in January 1989 after an attack the year before.

Space stations obviously (cut-down OTL Mir) but also the LK-700 lunar program, since the next step beyond LEO space stations is the Moon.
http://www.astronautix.com/l/lk-700.html

OTL Glushko took over Mishin L3M 1972 lunar program and rehashed it two times - before Buran and after Buran, in 1975 and 1988.
1975 variant
http://www.astronautix.com/l/lek.html
1988 variant
http://www.astronautix.com/e/energialunarexpedition.html

ITTL Glusko will remake, not Mishin L3M, but Chelomei LK-700, at the same moment - 1988 and beyond. Hence the revived LK-700 will outlive Glushko... you can guess who will take back the project after Glushko death ;)

So,does a revivified LK-700 mean a revivified UR-700 as well?

So,does a revivified LK-700 mean a revivified UR-700 as well?

Why ?
They got the L1 working in this TL, so why trow that away and spend zillion of rubles and for decades on new rocket development and infrastructure ?

Same goes for 2001 a Space-Time Odyssey by SpaceGeek and me
Here Chelomei & Glushko try to push the UR-500 and UR-700 rockets in 1960s
But fail because OKB-1 get N1 rocket family to work, thanks to Sergei Khrushchev who took over Korolev OKB-1 after his dead.
in end Chelomei was drop by MoM after his arrogant way to intrigue and libel over his rivals, while making outrageous demands for his proposals and produce little results
While obstinate Glushko putting him self into niche for only Military engines, while Kuznetsov took over rocket engine production in USSR.
As Chelomei finally deliberate sabotage the Work on Salut station, handed over by MoM from OKB-1
the Military MoM and others had enough of Chelomei and gave him new job: teacher for rocket engineering in Ukraine...

Oh by the way
i wonder wen one of those will one day dock on ISS ?

Archibald

Banned
Here is a little video I've made. I found a LK-700 kerbal video on you tube and pasted the Soviet national anthem as soundtrack. Enjoy !

Thrust your old deputy like you thrust your mother.
I think you mean trust ... or that saying has a wildly different meaning.
I never really understood how Chelomei died OTL. The official story is that somewhere in December 1984 he had his legs crushed by his Mercedes while opening his garage, and died at the hospital of complications. Whatever, his death was accidental, he was (AFAIK) pretty healthy. The accident near miss is a nod to his OTL fate. :p
That's fascinating. I imagine that's like how that Russian actor on Star Trek died, his cars handbrake wasn't engaged and was on a slope so it rolled back and crushed him against a wall?

That's fascinating. I imagine that's like how that Russian actor on Star Trek died, his cars handbrake wasn't engaged and was on a slope so it rolled back and crushed him against a wall?

That was Anton Viktorovich Yelchin, he was crush by his own Jeep Grand Cherokee against a brick pillar
for moment face the car manufacture several lawsuits because a problem about Jeep Grand Cherokee with " transmission errors leading to unintended rolling"

I'm still really enjoying this timeline, especially the regularity of its updates. This TL basically keeps the light on for the AH space community whenever e of pi or nixonshead are on hiatus :p
Ever since the start of it the writing has also improved tremendously, and I think it's much less 'infodumpey' than it was at the start. So good work Archibald, and keep up the good work :)

Archibald

Banned
Well, thank you. I'm doing my best, and I can tell you I cut a crapload of stuff (sometimes dozens of pages at a time).
For example, I tried many times to write about early private rocketry, but never succeed. There are fascinating people like Gary Hudson or the AMROC story (George Koopman) plus Walt Kistler (of K-1 and Spacehab fame) but it is too scattered and obscure.
Even without the shuttle private space companies could hardly happen in the 80's, 1990 was the first golden age followed by the dot-com bubble in 2000, and recovery had to wait for SpaceX after 2010.
More importantly, posting on this forum help me structure the whole story. I link events to each others to create a coherent ensemble. Recently I filled a lot of plot holes.

About infodumpey: the issue is that I had too much things on my plate for the year 1972. It was just overwhelming - Skylab, Shuttle, space station, Apollo, Hubble LST, Voyager, Viking, HEAO, NERVA, space tug, Big Gemini.

Also, the story format is not adapted to this forum because when I started it in 2008 I didn't intented to post it. It only come in 2015. I'd say nixonshead and E of Pi stories are more "compact" and focused on a central theme. By contrast I chase a lot of topics.

Last edited:
suborbital refueling (1)

Archibald

Banned
October 14, 1984

It was a massive effort from Dryden. Both NB-52 carriers were airborne at the same time, each carrying under their wing pylon a piloted X-27B. Mission of the day entailed a complex aerial ballet.

The NB-52A lifted-off first and circled over Edwards, waiting for its NB-52B sibling. With the end of the X-15 program in 1969 old NB-52A had been mothballed at Davis Monthan. After the shuttle and SST fiascos of 1971 President Nixon had to somewhat bailout a belaguered aircraft industry so a new program of high speed research has been examined. Enough money was pumped into Dryden that the older NB-52A could be taken out of mothball and put back into service again.

The X-27 subscale shuttle program (SSP) had been funded in 1972 at the expense of the X-24B lifting body program, which had been cut. There had been first an unpowered, unpiloted glider, the X-27A , followed by a couple of piloted X-27Bs. The rocket engine was still the plain old XLR-11, of Bell X-1 fame.

Dick Scobee and Herbert Lawrence dropped their vehicles from under the wings of the B-52 motherships. The two stubby rocketplane shot upwards, flying in parallel trajectories. They flew in a high parabola, up to 80 000 feet and mach 2. Once there, the two pilots experienced with two minutes of weightlessness.

Scobee carefully manoeuvered its X-27B so that it flew above Lawrence own machine. Once there Scobee pressed a button, and two traps opened at the bottom of its subscale shuttle; a crude refueling boom spurted out. Lawrence for his part deployed a refueling probe; it protruded from the nose of his X-27B. Today's objective was to keep the two machines linked for thirty seconds. No atempt was made to transfer liquid oxygen or acohol – propellants of the XLR-11 rocket engine.

The program funding came from DARPA, a military agency known to test hare-brained concepts on shoestring, black budgets.

ORAL HISTORY TRANSCRIPT – BOEING ORION – PART 1

Robert Salkeld

In 1973 former Alamogordo mayor Dwight Ohlinger was inspired by the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum to propose a Space Hall of Fame, and further to propose that it be built at Alamogordo because so much of the developmental work for the space program had been done in the Tularosa Basin. The main building was designed and constructed as a "golden cube" (a cube with a gold-tinted glass exterior) and dedicated on October 5, 1976, opening to the public on November 23, 1976.

At the dedication ceremony the initial fifteen Hall of Fame members were inducted, and there was an aerospace conference entitled The Eagle has returned. And I was present that day - interestingly, Maxwell Hunter was also there, but not to discuss Single-Stage-To-Orbit vehicles. Max was deep into the Hubble space telescope studies, together with the Agena tug to bring it to the space station for maintenance. Hunter hadn't gave up on reusable launch vehicles. More about him later.

Present at the conference that day was also legendary NASA engineer Maxime Faget, still bitter about the loss of the space shuttle.

So there I was, at that space gathering, and I was paired with a little known engineer, Richard Nau from General Dynamics Convair division.

To my surprise, I discovered that Nau also had considered inflight refueling of a space plane, but at hypersonic speeds, a crazy concept that he had rightfully dismissed. That idea reached as far bak as 1963 and the Aerospaceplane. As for me, I had suggested subsonic refueling of cryogens in order to have a lighter TSTO shuttle at lift-off.

The Aerospaceplane had been a military program ran from 1958 to 1964. In many ways it paralleled with DynaSoar, and was in fact intended to replace it. It was a broad and pragmatic program where, for the first time, fully reusable space plane concepts were comprehensively reviewed. It was pretty much the RASV of its time: that Air Force dream of a space plane as flexible as a fighter-bomber; a machine that could lift-off from a very ordinary air base into Earth orbit and back.

Because it was the first study of that kind there was no taboos, which mean even the wildest ideas were examined. And that included Richard Nau hypersonic refueling; there was even talk of flying a pair of X-15 to test that.

Needless to say, the hypersonic shock wave, made of heat and sonic booms and turbulences, would have resulted in a catastrophic collision. That obvious fact in turn shot inflight refueling dead for many years, until I brought it back in 1973 (with a more reasonable subsonic tanker, however).

As the conference went on Richard and I were asked by Faget for further details about the Aerospaceplane varied options; it was obvious the legendary designer was searching for a technological breakthrough able to bring his cherished shuttle out of the development hell where it languished since 1972.

Richard Nau suggested we once again review the Triamese concept his company had designed a decade before, in 1968. Richard Nau remembered pretty well how the Triamese had been eliminated from the initial round of shuttle studies.

The initial round of shuttle studies, during the first half of 1969, had come to $1.2 million, divided equally among four contractors. NASA now extended these studies by giving $150,000 more to each of three contractors, with McDonnell Douglas receiving $225,000. The participating companies also received new instructions that redirected their work.

Lockheed was to continue with studies of Star Clipper and of its own version of the Triamese. General Dynamics, home of the initial Triamese concept, was to study variants of this design, and would also apply its background to design a fully-reusable concept having only two elements rather than the three of Triamese.

There were at least five ways to build a fully-reusable shuttle, and NASA had appropriate designations and descriptions:

FR-1: the Triamese;

FR-2: a two-stage vehicle with the engines of both stages ignited at launch;

FR-3: a two-stage vehicle with engines in the orbiter ignited only upon staging (Faget's shuttle was an FR-3; so were the concepts of McDonnell Douglas);

FR-4: a variant of the Triamese with the core stage not of the same length as the twin booster stages;

FR-5: a concept designed to avoid a shift in its center of gravity as its propellant tanks would empty, thus easing problems of stability and control.

Unfortunately on September 4, 1969 another meeting eliminated the Triamese configurations. The initial concept, the FR-1, had called for three elements of common length and structural design. It had proven difficult, however, to have one shape serve both as booster and orbiter.

Richard Nau remembered all too well the pretty blunt opinion of Milton Silveira, the manager of the Space Shuttle Engineering Office

"The Triamese design quickly gets all screwed up, so you end with a lousy orbiter and a lousy booster, but you don't get one that does well." Advocates of the Triamese had turned to the FR-4, a variant with the core stage not of the same length as the twin booster stages. This, however, proved heavier than the FR-3, while requiring two booster elements rather than one. It also lost much of the potential cost saving from design commonality between the three elements.

Nau reminds that “The final report on the Triamese, dated May 7, 1969 actually recognized the inherent issues with the vehicle. We felt however we could pull that trick, build and fly our vehicle. The report said that

“In order to achieve the economy predicted for the Triamese system the orbital and boost elements must have a high degree of commonality and must represent essentially a single development program. This commonality has been obtained by "overdesigning" the boost elements. Commonality is best evidenced by examining the detail weights. Thermal protection designs for the booster and orbiter are common even though boost element environments are much less severe. The performance penalties for a high degree of commonality are accepted in the designs presented in this report.”

Yet we at General Dynamics were furious that NASA rejected the Triamese early on. We were troubled by Milton Silveira blunt analysis. After it was rejected out of hand late 1969 we put the Triamese on hold for some years – until late 1971 when we heard of the space shuttle cancellation.

We decided to renew studies on Triamese in the hope it might be picked up as a shuttle II design in the next decade.

Still troubled by Silveira analysis we got in touch with NASA Langley to try and refine the Triamese. There we found John Houbolt colleagues - the legendary engineer that in 1961 had fought NASA heavyweights to impose the Lunar Orbit Rendezvous mode for Apollo. Houbolt no longer worked at Langley; he had left in 1963 for a private company set in Princeton. But some of his colleagues remained, and we learned some fascinating hindsight on the LOR genesis and battle.

One of Houbolt former colleague (together they had written the seminal Guidance and Navigation Aspects of Space Rendezvous), John Bird had some exotic, intriguing shuttle concepts, what he called atmospheric rendezvous. He promoted the concept through Gene Love Vehicle Branch small group. The aptly-named Bird explored things like air-launching, towing, or even docking a pair of shuttles, if only to try and break the huge weight penalty all-rocket vehicles suffered from.

Unfortunately John D. Bird passed away on December 18, 1980. In 1976 however we interviewed him and he draw fascinating parallel between Suborbital Refueling and his Langley colleague John Houbolt battle for Lunar Orbit Rendezvous back in 1961.

John D. Bird (posthumously)

From 1959 onwards Langley researchers quickly began making lunar and planetary mission feasibility studies of their own. John D. Bird began designing different "lunar bugs," "lunar schooners," and other types of small excursion modules that could land on the surface of the Moon after departing a "mother ship." "Jaybird" (as Bird was called by his peers) became an outspoken advocate of the lunar-orbit rendezvous concept. When a skeptical visitor to Langley offered, with a chuckle, that lunar-orbit rendezvous was "like putting a guy in an airplane without a parachute and having him make a midair transfer," Bird set that visitor straight. "No," he corrected, "It’s like having a big ship moored in the harbor while a little rowboat leaves it, goes ashore, and comes back again."

Three days before President Kennedy's lunar commitment, John D. Bird, "Jaybird", captured Langley's enthusiasm for a moonshot in his sketch "TO THE MOON WITH C-1's OR BUST" (below). In essence, his plan called for a mission via earth-orbit rendezvous (EOR) requiring the launch of 10 C-1 rockets.

(quoted from John D. Bird)

“Knowing what we know now—that Americans would land on the Moon and return safely before the end of the 1960s, using the LOR method—it might be hard to imagine and appreciate the strength of feeling against the LOR concept in the early 1960s. In retrospect, we know that LOR enjoyed—as Brown, Michael, Dolan, and especially John Houbolt had said—several advantages over competitor methods. It required less fuel, only half the payload, and less brand-new technology In the early 1960s, however, all these advantages were merely theoretical. On the other hand, the fear that American astronauts might be left in an orbiting coffin some 240,000 miles from home was quite real. If rendezvous had to be part of the lunar mission, many felt it should be conducted only in the Earth’s orbit. If that rendezvous failed, the threatened astronauts could be brought back home simply by allowing the orbit of their spacecraft to deteriorate. But if a rendezvous around the Moon failed, the astronauts would be too far away to be saved, because nothing could be done. The morbid specter of dead astronauts sailing around the Moon haunted the dreams of those responsible for the Apollo program. It was a nightmare that made objective evaluation of the LOR concept by NASA unusually difficult. It was an amazingly tempestuous intellectual and emotional climate in which NASA would have to make perhaps the most fundamental decision in its history. It was a psychological obstacle that made the entire year of 1961 and the first seven months of 1962 the most hectic and challenging period of John Houbolt's life.

Well, two decades later very similar roadblocks stood in the way of suborbital refueling.

“There was a reluctance to believe that the suborbital rendezvous maneuver was an easy thing. In fact, to a layman, if you were to explain what you had to do to perform a rendezvous and propellant transfer during a suborbital parabola , he would say that sounds so difficult we'll never be able to do it this century. I'm not so sure we ever thought of suborbital rendezvous as very complicated. It's an amazing thing. We thought that if our guys could work out the suborbital mechanics and we gave the pilot the right controls and stuff, then he'd make the rendezvous. We didn't think it was very complicated.

There are many things in spaceflight that are counter-intuitive with their early advocates being mocked.

Lets just take two examples. First, Venus swingbys on the way to Mars, a manoeuver that saves a lot of propellants thanks to clever use of gravitation. But at first glance it looks absurd because you goes in the exact opposite direction from Mars – to Venus ! I had a friend in Langley, a bright astrodynamicist called Dana that got humiliated that way during a Mars gathering in the late 60's.

“Manned Mars stopover missions of duration twelve to twenty-four months are characterized by Earth return velocities of up to seventy thousand feet per second, over the cycle of mission opportunities. A promising mode for reducing Earth entry velocities to forty to fifty thousand feet per second, without increasing spacecraft gross weight, is the swing-by through the gravitational field of Venus. Studies indicate that this technique can be applied to all Mars mission opportunities, and in one-third of them, the propulsion requirements actually can be reduced below minimum direct-mode requirements…”

He hurried through the idea of gravity assist. He tried to emphasize the history and intellectual weight of the idea, showing that his own computations had built on the work of others. “The concept within NASA of using a Venus swing-by to reach Mars dates back to Hollister and Sohn, working independently, who published in 1963 and 1964. This was further elaborated by Sohn, and by Deerwester, who presented exhaustive results graphically in a format compatible with the direct flight curves in the NASA Planetary Flight Handbook…”

It was a little like a game of interplanetary pool, he said. A spacecraft would dive in so close to a planet that its path would be altered by that world’s gravitational field. In the swing-by — the bounce off the planet — the spacecraft would extract energy from the planet’s revolution around the sun, and so speed up; in exchange, the planet’s year would be minutely changed.

In practical terms, bouncing off a planet’s gravity well was like enjoying the benefit of an additional rocket stage at no extra cost, if your navigation was good enough.

“We have already studied the Mariner Mercury mission, which would have swung by Venus en route to Mercury. A direct journey would have been possible, using, for example, a Titan IIIC booster; but the gravity assist would have allowed the use of the cheaper Atlas-Centaur launch system…”

Example number two - how about that guy from JPL, Gary Flandro ? In 1965 he discovered a major planet alignment – Jupiter – Saturn – Uranus – Neptune – that made the Grand Tour (Voyager) feasible within the next three decades, but not thereafter, unless of course you are willing to wait 180 years.

Well, suborbital refueling was one of these counter-intuitive things.

Knowing what we know now—that thousands of ordinary people would fly in orbit and return safely, airliner-style, using the suborbital refueling (SOR) method—it might be hard to imagine and appreciate the strength of feeling against the suborbital refueling concept in the early 1980s.

In retrospect, we know that SOR enjoyed several advantages over competitor Single Stage To Orbit methods – airbreathing, air liquefaction, and very high mass fractions.

It required no brand-new technology – only aerial refueling, rocket engines, and turbofans. In the early 1980s, however, all these advantages were merely theoretical. On the other hand, the fear that passengers might be left crashing or burning through the atmosphere at mach 10 after a collision during refueling was quite real.

If aerial refueling had to be part of any orbital mission, many felt it should be conducted only at subsonic speeds. If that rendezvous failed, the threatened space plane could be brought back home by landing on the closest airstrip. But if a suborbital rendezvous failed because of a collision, death would result for both the tanker and the refueling ship. The Palomares aerial refueling disaster was in all memories – when a H-bomb loaded B-52 collided with a KC-135 and left few survivors.

The morbid specter of dead astronauts burning into the atmosphere at mach 10 haunted the dreams of those responsible for the SOR breakthrough. It was a nightmare that made objective evaluation of the SOR concept by NASA and the military unusually difficult. It was an amazingly tempestuous intellectual and emotional climate in which NASA would have to make perhaps the most fundamental decision in its history. It was a huge psychological obstacle that had to be overcome.

So I, John D. Bird, drifted from LOR to SOR within the span of a decade.

In 1971 NASA Langley and the Vought corporation carried out a study to determine the feasibility of using atmospheric rendezvous to increase the efficiency of space transportation and to determine the most effective implementation.

They concluded atmospheric rendezvous to be feasible. Two basic approaches were investigated for performing the rendez-vous and recovery tasks.

One approach considered use of a large airplane with which rendezvous occured after the orbiter has completed its hypersonic glide and has slowed to subsonic flight conditions.

The other approach was even more audacious, and of further interest for us. It involved use of a recoverable booster which may rendezvous with the orbiter at any speed up to its maximum burn outspeed. The booster would litterally catch the descending orbiter and bring it back to the ground.

Langley's data were prepared by combining reentry-glide comptations with booster launch characteristics based on North American Phase B Space Shuttle studies. They had elaborated the following scenario:

At booster lift-off, the orbiter is approximately 225 nautical miles up range from the launch site and at a velocity of about 13,000 feet per second (4 km/s). At booster apogee, the orbiter is approximately 50 nautical miles downrange from the booster and at a velocity of about 9,000 feet per second (2.7 km/s). Rendezvous occurs at a velocity of 5000 feet per second (1.5 km/s) and about 500 nautical miles downrange from the launch site.

Apogee for the booster is established by launch of another orbiter. Due to apogee being well above equilibrium glide altitude, the first booster overshoot of orbiter flight altitude cannot be avoided. It appears that rendezvous at speeds below 6,000 feet per second (1.8 km/s) can be accomplished by proper control of angle-of-attack. Rendezvous at higher speeds would be very difficult unless the booster launch trajectory were reshaped.

The booster is gliding at a higher speed and a smaller lift-to-drag ratio than the orbiter during the rendezvous flights. Therefore,the booster is continuously approaching from the rear of the orbiter. The relative altitude, however, is much less consistent for the case of rendezvous at 4000 ft/sec (1.2 km/s). This plot of relative altitude versus relative altitude rate shows that the variation is well behaved only during the final minute of rendezvous.

Booster launch occurs during the orbiter hypersonic glide. Therefore there must be some constraint on the launch time in order to rendezvous. A study was made to estimate this booster launch window restriction.

Booster launch time can be delayed if its flight time to rendezvous is decreased and/or if the orbiter flight time to rendezvous is increased. The orbiter cannot delay reentering since it is in the re-entry phase at the time of nominal booster lift-off.

The following two cases were considered for a rendezvous at 5000 fps

(1)booster flight was held fixed and orbiter maneuvers were used to increase the orbiter flight time to rendezvous and

(2) orbiter flight was held fixed and booster maneuvers were used to decrease the booster flight time to rendezvous.

In both cases,velocity and range at rendezvous were held constant. The nominal rendezvous is based on flight at average lift-to-drag ratios.

These data were calculated using equilibrium glide equations.

Assuming that the capabilities of these two cases are additive, it is concluded that booster launch window is aproximatively one minute. Some additional capability may be possible by considering a variable rendezvous velocity; however, it is felt that the launch window would remain rather small, because deceleration is relatively large at these speeds.

We decided to use the booster-orbiter data as a basis to try and fly Triamese elements separately, either two or four of them. They would either dock or refuel or both during atmospheric flight. We concluded that it somewhat remained a bimese except for the fact that we did the stage integration with a hose, and after launch. Mathematically, they were not so different.

We eliminated refueling in favour of docking because of the Triamese cryogenic propellants that made very hard to aerial refuel.

John Bird analysis of the Triamese concluded saying the staging inefficiencies were not as bad with this design as with bimese. The greater complexity of having one stage that could function as both a booster and orbiter would drive up the vehicle development structure cost, he said.

Then Bird suggested that, if amortized development cost could be reduced by using a trimese design, it was logical to ask if using even larger numbers of identical stages might result in even greater savings. We went from three to four vehicles, but not farther as the docking atmospheric ballet become way too complicated to manage.

That a former collegue of Houbolt discussed (atmospheric) rendezvous between two flying machines was hardly a surprise. Aerial docking was not dissimilar to in-space rendezvous, and Langley had specialized in the field in the Houbolt days. Little did we suspected at the time that the battle for suborbital refueling would be as hard fought as John Houbolt quest for Lunar Orbit Rendezvous back in 1960-62.

At this point in a fascinating discussion Max Faget reminded us once again about the sheer craziness of linking a pair of X-15 flying at hypersonic speeds. In response I noted that the X-15 not only flew fast, it also broke altitude records, up to 350 000 feet, to the edge of space. The speed and height flights had totally different profiles and trajectories, which were mutually exlusive; the X-15 never broke speed and height records during the same flight.

At this very moment I saw Richard Nau face changing. He just muttered "height, not speed..." then explained himself.

I was surprised and said: gimme a break. You are saying - whatif we tried that refueling, not at mach 6 but at 300 000 feet ?

Faget poked "Why not ? it can't be worse that hypersonic refueling."

In a most serious way I told Richard that out of the atmosphere there's no shock wave nor thermal heating, since both are the result of atmospheric friction. All the issues that made hypersonic refueling a suicide mission had just vanished without a trace ! I don't know what Faget thought about the concept, but that idea never totally left me afterwards. I did not spoke about it to the rest of the team, not immediately. It looked so outrageous; futhermore, it needed serious refining.

Before we left Richard Nau had this magnificent catchphrase about suborbital refueling

"This is not an attempt to solve the rocket equation problem by means of increasing specific impulse or cutting into the mass fraction - but by decreasing delta-V. "

That sentence also never left me afterwards.

Len Cormier

It all started with my Windjammer, long before the Alamogordo conference.

As of 1971 I was manager of North American Rockwell fighters division in Los Angeles. Once the best in the world, with marvels like the Mustang, Sabre and Super Sabre, it had lost steam. I was in fact more interested in space planes, and the Windjammer was the result of that interest – in my free time. But Rockwell was only interested in the shuttle, a project I didn't liked very much. I had the military nonetheless interested in the Windjammer – Bernard Schriever all powerful SAMSO ballistic missile organization.

In the end I found that Boeing was more interested than both Rockwell and the military itself, and then the shuttle was canned, with Rockwell so angered by the decision they bet all their money on the Apollo capsule rather than an hypothetical shuttle rebirth. I can hardly blame them for that decision. In the end the fighter / spaceplane, Boeing / Rockwell conflicts of interests cost myself my job. In 1972 I packed all and went to Boeing, where I met Andy.

Andy Hepler

Len Windjammer was the starting point of Boeing TAV (Trans Atmospheric Vehicle) very long, tortuous story. We first refined the concept internally, but in 1975 an interesting opportunity arose. NASA Langley had resumed work on the lost shuttle in view of a possible resurrection in the 80's. Lifting-body supporter Eugene Love had spun a small group out of Langley launch vehicle division, and they issued all kind of small contracts to aerospace contractors. We submitted them the Windjammer and further refinment followed, until 1978 (more on this later).

One has to realize that with Marshall dead and Houston entirely committed to Big Gemini and the space station, the shuttle last stronghold was the Langley Research Center, Hampton, Virginia.

So it was no surprise if they were literally flooded with space planes projects; our team was just one among others. During a trip to Langley I still remember a discussion with one of these outsiders. His name was Tony Du Pont, and he had his own vision of what the path toward a SSTO should be.

Du Pont had designed the podded scramjet dubbed the Hypersonic Research Engine that had literally melted on the X-15A-2 speed record flight on October 3, 1967. He had that design of a hypersonic vehicle, still with the podded scramjets on the underside. Gene Love later told me he didn't liked Du Pont design very much; the podded scramjets would produce more drag than thrust, so the vehicle would never accelerate.

In the end the Presidential committment to the shuttle was never coming - to NASA dismay. So we went to the military again, and once again they were enthusiastic. Meanwhile we were making excellent progresses in interesting Boeing top brass to the Windjammer. We were allowed to recruit more engineers, and that's how Gordon [Woodcock] and Dana [Andrews] joined the project. We also had general Bernard Schriever supporting the project, and Schriever brought us another bold recruit – Robert Salkeld.

Len Cormier

"By 1978 I visited John D. Bird at Langley. It was a singular meeting in a strange place. I passed Richmond and turned my car off Route 1 and onto the narrower State Highway 60, heading southeast. The towns were fewer, and smaller. And, at last, after Williamsburg, there seemed to be nothing but forests and marshland, and the occasional farmhouse. I could taste salt and ozone from the coast. At least I reached Hampton. It is a fishing town, a backwater. The Samuel P. Langley Memorial Laboratory is the oldest aeronautical research center in the U.S., and it is father to all the rest. It has been founded during the First World War, conceived out of a fear that the land of the Wright brothers might start to fall behind the European belligerents in aviation. Langley stayed poor, humble, and obscure, but it succeeded in keeping abreast of the latest technology. And back then Hampton is a place where people still referred to the Civil War as “the late war.”

The research center is a cluster of dignified old buildings, with precise brickwork and extensive porches, that looked almost like a college campus. But, set among the neatly trimmed lawns and tree-shased streets, are exotic shapes: huge spheres, buildings from which protruded pipes twenty or thirty feet wide. They are Langley’s famous wind tunnels.

Hampton is so isolated that a lot of bright young aeronautical engineers don’t want to come within a hundred miles of the place. Those who come to Langley tend to be highly motivated, and not a little odd. John Bird is one of them. And the local Virginians hasn’t thought much of the “Nacka Nuts” — as they still called them — arriving in their midst. So the Langley engineers have kept themselves to themselves most of the time, on and off the job, and Langley has evolved into its own peculiar little world.

Langley made immense contributions to the U.S.’s prowess in aeronautics and astronautics. It got involved with the development of military aircraft during the Second World War and then in the programs which led to the first supersonic airplane, the Bell X-1. Langley staff formed the task force which was responsible for the Mercury program, and later it became involved with studies for the optimal shapes for the Gemini and Apollo ships.

We didn't met a Langley but rather at Bird house. So I parked my car and there came John Bird in an old cardigan and with tie loosely knotted, wiping his hands on an oily rag.He tucked his tobacco pouch into the pocket of his shabby gray cardigan and told me

“Well, how’s about a little brain-busting, back in my workshop?”

The workshop, so-called, is actually a small unused bedroom at the back of the house, filled with tools and books and bits of unfinished models, a blackboard coated with obscure, unreadable equations. Bird cleared some loose sketches from a stool. His slacks were already coated with a patina of fine dust. Every surface is covered with scraps of paper, chewed-off pencils, shreds of tobacco, bits of discarded models. Bird began to bustle about the workshop, pulling together obscure bits and pieces from the clutter, sorting haphazardly. Bird puffed at his pipe as he worked.

“You know” he started, at some point in the history of astronautics there was a rupture, a divorce between aircrafts and rockets. Looking back to the early 50's it seemed that jets and rockets could be mixed for high performance interceptors. We flew Republic XF-91 and later the NF-104A. The French had the SO-9000 Trident. Great Britain build the Saro SR-53. The Soviets probably tried to add a rocket to a Mig-21.

“Thus by 1954 or so the path forward seemed to be an aircraft that would lift-off on jet power and then goes to orbit on rocket power. Intermediate steps would be aircraft flying suborbital parabolas, higher and higher, faster and faster, up to orbit. Although it lacked a jet engine (the B-52 carrier was the jet engine by itself), the X-15 showed the way.

Then, within the span of six years things took a brutal, different turn, with jets and rockets going their own separate ways.

By 1956 mixed jet / rocket interceptors were killed by progress in afterburners.

Then in 1957 the manned interceptor by itself was killed by the advent of surface-to-air-missiles (SAMs) that could shot bombers cheaper, faster and higher than any manned aircraft (Boeing BOMARC was the most extreme example of that trend).

Then in 1958 SAMs by themselves were shot down by ICBMs they couldn't intercept.

And then by 1959 ICBMs snowballed into expendable launch vehicles.

At this point the rocket plane fought a Gettysburg battle.

In 1961 through the X-20 DynaSoar it nearly managed a come back, only to be shot in 1962 by the ballistic capsules – Mercury, Gemini.

And then come JFK that send Apollo to the lunar surface and back.

“If only the Shuttle has gone ahead. “ Bird concluded.

I nodded in approval “Instead we are looking at more big dumb rockets like Titan III. More V-2s. Our great rockets, the Saturns of von Braun, work for only minutes, in a flight lasting days, and then fall to their destruction. It’s that crudity of such approach that galls me. Of course the Germans got a man on the Moon, but it’s not elegant, and not the Langley Way. More big rockets! Huh! Still not elegant enough for me.” Bird told me, half joking.

“Ok, thank you for the course in rocket and jet engines. You said that jets and rockets could have send a space plane in orbit. But the large mass of rocket propellants completely crushed any hope of going into orbit. The best jet-and-rocket aircraft you mention reached Mach 2.5. But orbital speed is exactly ten times that number, mach 25.”

“I know that”, Bird said. “It was obvious to us as early as 1960, during flight testing of the X-15 and development of Boeing X-20. Post DynaSoar strategy was to get ride of that cumbersome and expensive and dangerous Titan III, with the long-term goal of flying into orbit from the usual airport. Alas, the Air Force Aerospaceplane studies were a cold shower for us. Before we believed that the elegant thing to do was to rush and develope a smart engine – a scramjet, or an aerospike, or an air liquefaction gizmo which can really cut down the propellant mass, perhaps by sucking the atmosphere one way or another. But the Aerospaceplane showed that won’t come in my lifetime, and maybe not yours. Getting to mach 25 without throwing expendable bits along the way is a daunting challenge. Doing that for the usual airstrip is a nightmare.

“So where’s the room for elegance in all this?” I, Len Cormier, said. “It seems we’re kind of constrained by the laws of celestial mechanics. It’s either Hohmann, or brute force. We are living on a large rocky planet with a strong gravity pull, thus a steep gravity well. On top of that is that thick atmosphere. We would have much easier time on the Moon or even Mars.”

“Let me examine the mixed, jet-rocket aircrafts of the 50's. You said that propellant and jet engine mass would be way too heavy. Some different, breathrough engine would have to fill the gap. But they had weight and complication. Now there is a different technology that was also developed in the 50's. I mean – aerial propellant transfer. Boeing build two thousands air tankers for the military – converted B-29s and KC-97s and KC-135s.”

“Here we are.” I smiled. “That's the reason we need you, John. We want to explore a path not taken – aerial refueling or docking. We do know that in 1972 you, Langley and Vought issued a small research paper. We need Langley knowledge of the mechanics of rendezvous. Houbolt did it for Lunar Orbit Rendezvous. We want you, John Bird, to achieve a similar result for suborbital rendezvous, docking, or propellant transfer.” John Bird smiled and shook my hand. “I'll do it. You can count on me and my fellow Langley rocket scientists.” During another visit some months later Bird introduced me to Langley best engineers, among them was James A. Martin, who dreamed of “orbit on demand” vehicles.

Robert Salkeld

In 1970 Schriever had written a foreword to my book War and space; we knew each others since the DynaSoar days.

Andy Hepler

Since I had also worked on that program (from the Boeing side of the fence) it made Salkeld all the more sympathetic to me.

Gordon Woodcock

As fixed in 1976 by the Strategic Air Command the RASV operational requirements were damn hard. RASV stands for Reusable Aerodynamic Space Vehicle. The SAC wanted the vehicle to reach standby status within 24 hours from warning. Standby to launch shall be three minutes. They heavily insisted on “aircraft-like operations” and incremental testing of the vehicle through the various flight regimes. The craft also would have the ability to abort when one of its two engines ceased to function. The design would require minimal checkout at the launch facility with maximum on-board autonomy and maximum use of an on-board checkout computer system for preflight and postflight operations.

Dana Andrews

In many ways, ground crews would handle the RASV like a B-52. It would be serviced in a B-52 hangar, and an engine could be changed in hours rather than weeks. The RASV would use a flight control tower, not a launch control center and the pilot would make the decision when to launch. Also, the cockpit would look like that of an aircraft, and the pilot would fly it as if it were an airplane. Crew would load payloads from the bottom, not from the top. However, the only operations or maintenance issue addressed by the feasibility study in any detail was that of rapid refueling.

Refueling would have to take place in thirty minutes - which is beyond the limits of available cryogenic technology. To solve that issue we suggested in 1977 that the RASV carried liquid helium to purge and repressurize its fuel tanks. This solution eliminated the need to purge the tanks on the ground, but add further complexity and cost. Non cryogenic propellants were a simpler answer.

Len Cormier

I have to recognize that the Windjammer hardly met these requirements. Early on - circa 1973 - it was to be powered by the very high performance XLR-129 - the space shuttle lost engine.

Even with the XLR-129 high performance however the mass of liquid oxygen and hydrogen is so huge no undercarriage could withstand it. Thus Boeing would have had to develop a sled to accelerate the Windjammer to a speed of 600 feet per second. And a 747 would have to transport the Windjammer back to its launch site, in case of an abort or a forced landing at a site not equipped with a sled launcher.

All this was hardly satisfying.

Undaunted, and with strong support from Boeing top brass, we faced the challenge. We also had results from the Langley studies.

We first attacked the cryogenic issue. As Dana said, the RASV very fast turnaround was beyond the limit of cryogenic technology. The helium purge was dropped as cumbersome and heavy. On top of that we learned that the XLR-129 was in trouble per lack of funding. It was the moment when Andy Hepler had this stroke of genius.

Andrew Hepler

During the Langley studies we had briefly considered the concept of in-flight fueling of the space plane, if only to relieve the undercarriage of the burden rocket propellant is.

The idea actually was Robert Salkeld brainchild. Much like Cormier Windjammer (or perhaps even inspired by it !) Salkeld initial space planes were sled-launched. But a launch sled is a pretty complicated piece of hardware, and it obviously restrict the number of launch sites. Salkeld suggested inflight fueling as an alternative to the sled.

In March 1974 Salkeld published a seminal paper entitled Single-Stage Shuttles for Ground Launch and Air Launch. It had a big impact on the space plane world, to the point Gene Love and James Martin Langley group got money from NASA headquarters for further studies.

Liquid oxygen by itself represented an immense mass of hundreds of tons. Unfortunately inflight transfer of cryogens proved to be pretty difficult; the tanker aircraft was far beyond a Boeing 747, and Salkled (later followed by Langley) dismissed the concept as technologically immature.

Two years later however I decided to revisit the idea if only because the RASV rocket sled was unacceptable to the military. By contrast they had no issue with inflight refueling, and, having worked on Boeing bombers and tankers back in the 50's, I also had favorable experience with the concept. So I gave inflight refueling a second thought, only for the same results found by Salkeld in 1974 and Langley in 1977 – the tanker was truly huge, and the cryogens made inflight transfers extremely complicated. I was nevertheless ready to try my hand at that big tanker, seeing it as preferable to the cumbersome sled. But fate decided otherwise: our little team learned that the XLR-129 was in trouble, and we had little options beside that (J-2 lacked performance, RL-10s were too small).

Meanwhile in 1979 further impetus for a hypersonic research aircraft – much like the RASV - come from a different side of the Air Force. Up to this point of time we had backing from SAMSO and SAC. Then General Lawrence Skantze at Aeronautical System Division at Wright Patterson AFB, Dayton, Ohio ordered a review of NASA Shuttle II projects (notably those from Langley Research Center) to see if any of them was of interest for the Air Force. In 1982 Skantze become Commander of Air Force System Command. He initially pursued a project known as Trans-Atmospheric Vehicle. Soon however Skantze learned of Boeing ungoing RASV project and changed his mind.

Len Cormier

At this point, someone in the team (can't remember who) suggested we drop LOX/ LH2 altogether in favor of non-cryogenic engines, for example the plain old Atlas or Delta LOX/kerosene workhorses. I rehashed the tanker option and discovered that without the cryogens inflight refueling was far easier.

So we switched the Windjammer to LOX/kerosene with kerosene transfer, (we discovered later that Gordon Woodcock had had a similar idea for his own flyback F-1 booster!) but once again it was the LOX - the oxidiser - that represented the bulk of propellant mass. A liquid only at 183 degree minus zero, it was pretty impossible to transfer oxygen in flight.

I thus sought a different oxidiser, and truth be told there was not many of them - N2O4 from the Titan rocket was toxic and quickly eliminated, leaving only two dark horses: nitrous oxide (N2O) and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). The two were quite similar; H2O2 had a bad reputation of explosivity and instability, but was liquid at room temperature and provided a better specific impulse. N2O was midly cryogenic, although a little pressure would make it liquid at room temperature like hydrogen peroxide. It was a difficult choice: the British had aparently mastered H2O2 for their space program, but the nascent hybrid rockets (and there was a lot of interest for that technology) burned their solid fuel with N2O.

In the end we decided to go the N2O way; there were a lot of enthusiastic young rocket engineers working on hybrid rockets, people like Gary Hudson and George Koopman. They placed safety above anything else, and when we talked about flying out of ordinary airports, they strongly suggested N2O was a much reasonable choice than H2O2. By contrast, at a later date British experience with hydrogen peroxide had the Europeans picking up that oxidizer. In the end we had the early X-30s flying with N2O but later marks of Orion switched to H2O2. Even today Orion variants exists with both oxidizers.

Andrew Hepler

I think the Europeans had a veteran British rocket scientist - what was his name ?

Len Cormier

David Andrews, I believe

Andrew Hepler

That's his name, and he had this to say

"The greatest danger in the use of hydrogen peroxide is likely to arise from the fact that it appears so safe. Nine times out of ten, if something goes wrong, nothing much happens. Danger arises if one becomes blasé in consequence: every so often one is sharply reminded that it is a strong oxident which must be treated with respect. This means, however, that provided safe practise is followed at all times, HTP is very safe indeed."

That's a point of view that could be discussed endlessly.

Len Cormier

We did not totally excluded a return to liquid oxygen someday, but the transfer technology was immature and, most importantly, the mixture ratio was not the same at all. The amount of liquid oxygen to be burned with kerosene is far superior (66 to 33) to N2O or H2O2, the last two being somewhat equal for that matter - 87 to 13. If that sounds cryptic, consider that, for a propellant mass of 100 tons, H2O2 or N2O would represent 87%, leaving only 13% of kerosene. Which in turns makes the space plane extremely light when flying on the turbofans, I mean with the rocket oxidizer tank empty.

Gordon Woodcock

A typical Windjammer mission would be: lift-off on turbofan power, climb to 30 000 ft, top the rocket oxidiser tank from the tanker, disengage, light the rocket, and fly into space (either into suborbital with a kick-stage, or into orbit with the improved mass fraction machine). That was it. The turbofans gave the TAV tremendous flexibility for lift-off, landing and ferry flights.

Non-cryogenic propellants and inflight fueling were major breakthrough – but still not enough by themselves to reach SSTO performance; even with a subsonic refueling the Windjammer mass fraction remained tricky. We suggested the main aircraft never reached orbit, with the payload boosted by a kick stage, perhaps a solid-fuel Star 48 or even an Agena. But the military wanted an orbital machine (and so wanted NASA – there was no way their beloved shuttle stuck to suborbital flight !) Anyway we proposed both concepts to the military. Obviously their opinion was that the suborbital machine was not acceptable; and we were pretty confident we could reach the desired mass fraction.

Len Cormier

As Gordon said – we were confident. Unfortunately over time the TAV underwent changes in the face of new performance requirements. Early in the program life technical requirements for the Trans Atmospheric Vehicle were as follow.

The TAV would be capable of flying 500 to 1,000 times with low-cost refurbishment and maintenance as a design goal from a launch site in Grand Forks, North Dakota, into a polar orbit, or once around the planet in a different orbit, and and would be capable of carrying payloads up to 10,000 pounds (4,536 kg) and no larger than 10 feet by 15 feet (3.0 m by 4.6 m).

One could ask why that precise location - Grand Forks, Dakota ? Well, it is hardly a coincidence that the Safeguard nuclear ABM system only station was located there. The RASV was to support the Safeguard ABM system one way or another.

It now had to be capable of carrying heavier loads into orbit, 30,000 pounds once around the globe from any launch site, though most likely from the central continental United States. I told the rest of the team “we are in trouble.” Even with the addition of inflight fueling and non-cryogenic propellants (which greatly improved the Windjammer aerodynamics, reducing drag losses during ascent) the TAV payload to orbit was a mere 8000 pounds. The suborbital / kick stage variant was hardly better.

Andy Hepler

Although its payload capability seriously lagged behind the requirements, our TAV nonetheless matched a lot of Schriever stringent requirements.

• Standby to launch shall be three minutes.

• ground crews shall handle the TAV like an aircraft.

• It shall be serviced in a B-52 hangar

• an engine shall be changed in hours rather than weeks.

• incremental testing of the vehicle through the various flight regimes

• use of a flight control tower, not a launch control center

• maximum on-board autonomy
We achieved this through use of simple engines. The Windjammer was to be powered by a pair of proven turbofans and a non-cryogenic rocket engine. No scramjet, no high-pressure LOX/LH2 rocket, no carrier aircraft, no ground-sled. No launch pad either.

Dana Andrews

Andy nailed it perfectly. The military definitively liked some of our space plane characteristics. Some said they would easily trade orbital performance and payload for the flexibility Andy highlighted.

At first glance it looked as if inflight refueling might degrade a space plane flexibility, since a tanker would have to be deployed along it. We realized however that the TAV was no worse than the SR-71 which leaking fuel tanks forced an inflight refueling immediately after take-off. The Air Force tolerated that serious issue in exchange for the Blackbird tremendous performance.

Len Cormier

Back to Maxwell Hunter. At the time of the Alamogordo conference he was deep in Lockheed bid for the space telescope; thanks to him the company won the contract late July 1977. Hunter was moved to the post of Agena applications manager.

From 1978 we got in touch with Hunter and he in fact defined a broad strategy. In the beginning he was skeptical of suborbital refueling; he was wary of the payload to orbit and of the trajectory to be flown.

He warily told us the military opinion would be even worse than his one. Our informal group – tentatively called the Orion arm - needed a stepped strategy. Hunter suggested we ask the military funding for a single, suborbital prototype and to connect that with (his) growing Agena business. He felt we should position that machine on two peculiar missions.

Missions one was a successor to Scout of course, but also Thorad, Atlas-Agena and Titan IIIB Agena – the medium launchers that lofted no more than 10 000 pounds.

Mission two was successor of Lockheed SR-71 – Hunter suggested we get in touch with Bernard Shriever and discuss the ISINGLASS hypersonic reconnaissance aircraft.

Hunter felt a demonstration of space plane refueling might be useful. Since 1976 NASA was flying a pair of piloted subscale shuttle models powered by XLR11 rocket engine.

Andy Hepler suggested to load a tank of propellant aboard a cargo aircraft and try to refuel one of these shuttle models at subsonic speed. Hunter suggested two demonstration missions involving the subscale shuttles. First a subscale shuttle should refuel from a subsonic tanker, either a modified KC-135 or a transport aircraft as per Hepler suggestion. The other mission had the two subscale shuttles zoom clibing to 80 000 feet and refueling each other in a suborbital parabola. Perhaps, Hunter suggested, we could scrap some money from DARPA to test that, Hepler said. It was a typical DARPA job: test a crazy idea on the cheap and secretely so that if it doesn't work, no taxpayer would complain...

(...)

Andy Hepler

I did not fully realized it at the time, but our project somewhat restaured an opportunity lost on December 10, 1963 - the day secretary of defence Robert McNamara cancelled Dyna Soar.

Dyna-Soar had a lot to offer the Air Force and the nation and might have changed history. The military might have benefited economically by possessing the world’s first reusable orbital vehicle, and in 1971 the Pentagon would not have been forced to become NASA’s political ally in the space agency’s (failed) political struggle to win funding for its Space Shuttle program. The knowledge gained from the research program, which included over 14,000 hours of wind tunnel tests, could have been applied to a number of applications from glide bombers to future spacecraft.

Whatever, after termination of the program, Boeing carried out a small “X-20 continuation program” for several more years that involved testing various DynaSoar components and design features both in ground facilities and on flight research vehicles. The René 41 high-temperature nickel alloy developed for the X-20 reappeared in the 1970s as part of the airframe structure and heat shielding for Boeing’s Reusable Aerodynamic Space Vehicle (RASV) that of course led to Orion. So is a clear filiation all the way from Sanger to Dynasoar and then to Orion. How about that."

Archibald

Banned
So here come suborbital refueling. @e of pi is a gentlemen in the sense that, while he don't believe in it, he was nice enough to make an excel spreadsheet and crunch some numbers. So many thanks to him. My personal feeling is that it was fun to explore a path not taken, I'm not betting a fortune on it (no Elon Musk). I'm just a wannabee ATL writer.
The idea has been discussed by Jon Goff (selenian boondocks) Mitchell Burnside Clapp (of whom I tracked his mail adress at DARPA and he was kind enough to give some tips about his idea) I also tried the idea at NASAspaceflight.com forums.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=19541.0
http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/im/magnus/bh/analog.html
http://selenianboondocks.com/2009/1...to-with-exo-atmospheric-suborbital-refueling/

E of pi summarized his point of view in this post
https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...o-ground-aircraft.392657/page-2#post-12674298

I personally like the concept because it uses proven rocket and jet engines (no fancy mass fraction, scramjet or air liquefaction), it is a logical continuation of aeronautics (propeller > subsonic > supersonic > hypersonic > orbital) had ICBMs never existed in 1960. Also thanks to jet engines it can fly out of a plain vanilla airports, no need for expensive and specialized launch pads.

Last edited:
Cold war heating up (5)

Archibald

Banned
----------

When SDIO was created last year, it assumed responsibility for the ongoing Space Based Chemical Laser research program from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. DARPA had been developing the major components needed for an space laser in its Triad Program, which included projects to develop develop

- the Alpha laser device to generate the laser beam;

- the Large Optics Demonstration Experiment to control and direct the laser beam;

- a large mirror to direct the laser beam at the target; and

- the Talon Gold Experiments for target acquisition, target tracking, and beam pointing (called acquisition, tracking, and pointing)

These component technology projects provide the building blocks for the proposed Zenith Star space experiment.

In 1984 SDIO developed a Directed Energy Weapon Program Plan, which defined the research and demonstrations to be carried out for the Triad components. Completion of SBCL research in the 1984 Plan was to support a decision in 1990 on whether to begin developing a space experiment that would be launched in 1994.

The space laser however might be as heavy as 100 000 pounds, far too much for existing launch vehicles.

NASA Johnson space center recently jumped on the bandwagon. They proposed the so-called Barbarian launch vehicle. The name was picked up on behalf of the vehicle brute power.

Barbarian is a rehash of two decade old concept best known as Ares 1B - ARES standing as Advanced REcoverable Solid, -1B being a double hommage to Kubrick 2001 and the Apollo Saturns.

Barbarian consist of nothing less than eight Titan solid rocket motors bundled together. On top of that would be a S-IVB stage with a major upgrade. It would feature the very high performance XLR-129 engine once planned for the lost Space Shuttle and Shuttle II.

Calculations show the brutish looking Barbarian vehicle could orbit as much as 60 tons, courtesy of the solids immense lift-off thrust and XLR-129 outstanding performance. Only a couple or a trio of vehicle would be build to orbit a pair of Zenith Star with an eventual flight test vehicle. Barbarian would be a cheap-and-dirty effort, nothing more than a host of spare parts latched together. It borrows from a number of advanced Saturn studies done in the late 60's that explored combination of standard S-IVB with cheap solid rocket motors of all kind and diameters - Titan 120', Thiokol 156' or even Aerojet monster 260 inch boosters.

Johnson engineers also propose to once again try solid motors recovery at sea.

President Reagan science advisor George Keyworth has shown interest in the concept; so have the influential nuclear scientists Edward Teller and Lowell Wood."

----------

With the MPLM, Solaris, HOTOL, Ariane and Agena Europe has all the “bricks” to forge a balanced space program in low Earth orbit – and beyond.

We examine the feasability of an ESA manned lunar landing architecture called Aurora using

a) a mixed launch fleet of of HOTOL and Ariane 5 launch vehicles

b) the Centauri storable propulsion space tug

c) the Solaris multi-role capsule that can land on the Moon with expendable propellant tanks,

d) a Manned Operations Base Station (MOBS) derived from the Multi-Purpose Logistic Module.

The MOBS would be launched first. HOTOL would ferry MPLMs that would be chained together to create the base station. Then the tug would be launched, assembled and refueled by a mixed fleet of HOTOL and Ariane 5. A Solaris capsule would then be launched by a HOTOL and mated to the tug. The tug would ferry the capsule to lunar orbit and then return via electric propulsion (hydrazine arcjets thrusters). The Solaris capsule would launch from the lunar surface for direct reentry into Earth atmosphere and splashdown in the ocean.

The different elements in the Aurora architecture are detailed below.

CENTAURI ORBIT TRANSPORT SYSTEM

HOTOL will only capable of reaching LEO therefore in order to reach geostationary or lunar orbits it will require a transport system from low earth orbit. The study assumed the use of the Centauri stage, a reusable orbital transfer vehicle.

The development of the HOTOL spaceplane will lead to an increase in the number of technically and economically feasible space missions by enabling low-cost single-stage to orbit delivery of payloads. A key element in determining the configuration of the HOTOL vehicle is the design of the supporting space-based infrastructure and in particular an Orbital Transfer Vehicle (OTV). The underlying rationale for operating a space-based OTV is to reduce the cost of placing payloads in their intended orbits and also to enable more ambitious space missions. These missions would involve the delivery of payloads from low-Earth-orbit (LEO) into a diverse range of planetary and interplanetary orbits, further enhancing the achievable mission range and flexibility of the HOTOL launcher system.

This paper outlines the initial feasibility study and system requirements for a space-based OTV named Centauri. A preliminary vehicle configuration is presented which incorporates the existing Agena space tug technology currently under development for the upper stage of the Ariane 5 launcher. Size and mass limitations are imposed on the components used within the design of Centauri to validate the HOTOL payload bay. The driving requirement of Centauri is to be capable of transferring 15 tonnes of payload from LEO into geostationary-Earth-orbit (GEO), with the criteria of being fully reusable and permanently based in space, including on-orbit refuelling and maintenance. This is a departure from current practice in which a fully fuelled upper stage is carried to orbit by the launch vehicle and is used for the final part of the transfer, after which the stage is discarded. The outcome of this study verifies that it is possible to construct and operate a reusable space-based OTV (based on the HOTOL launcher system and using existing technology) that can deliver 15 tonnes of payload to GEO, providing that the OTV is built in two sections which are then assembled on-orbit.

The Centauri stage design is 19 m long by 4.8 m diameter. It has an end of mission mass (i.e. dry mass plus pressurants and unusable propellants) of 7570 kg and can carry up to 46390 kg of storable propellants. It is powered by two Bell 8096 engines each with a vacuum thrust of 90 kN and a vacuum specific impulse of 3250 N s/kg.

The Centauri would be launched un-fuelled in two halves on two HOTOL flights. The first flight would be the oxidizer tank, engines and a dorsal standardised berthing port which would enable it to attach to the in orbit spaceport. The second flight would be the fuel tank and the payload interface which was baselined as a standardised docking port. The two halves would be mated together at the orbiting support base and the Centauri stage would then be ready to use. Two launches of an Ariane 5 would be necessary to fuel the tug with 45 tons of storavle propellants.

Although designed for the GEO mission, as a propulsion module the Centauri stage could also have a significant role in future space missions. This could include more energy demanding missions such as Cis-Lunar and manned Mars exploration. Vehicles of this category could be constructed using a modular approach by integrating multiple elements of the Centauri stage at an orbiting assembly facility based in LEO.

Centauri needs to be designed for reusability with permanent basing of the vehicle on-orbit and refuelling from other Hotol vehicles; this could be carried out in LEO possibly using tanker versions of Hotol. Due to the large distances involved, GEO transfers from LEO using chemical propulsion require large amounts of propellant and thus the „dry mass‟ of the vehicle becomes only a small fraction of the total „wet mass‟ of the vehicle and propellants.

THE SOLARIS MULTI-ROLE CAPSULE

The in-orbit crew transport role was undertaken by a Multi-Role Capsule. For this Study it was assumed to be the Solaris Multi-Role Capsule. This could carry 4 people and had a large orbit transfer capability including the ability to operating down to the lunar surface (with drop tanks and via the Centauri space tug) and thus it covered all the crew transportation roles within the infrastructure except Earth surface to orbit and return which was the role of the HOTOL. Solaris could return the crew to Earth although this capability would only be used in emergency. In the cost model, Excaliburs were priced at $150 million each which was based on the assumption that 30 would be built.The capsule would be ferried to Earth orbit by a HOTOL spaceplane.

The multi-role system concept is to maximise the number of mission that a system can undertake, thus maximising the value of its acquisition cost. The viability of this concept was explored by matching missions from Earth Orbit Space Stations support through to to Mars Landing with a feasibility design for a multi-role capsule. It was found that as the missions became more ambitious and moved further from lunar/Earth space, so increasing large add-on modules were required. However, these modules contained only simple elements like propellant tanks, increased pressurised space and supplies, and therefore represented lower cost developments; the expensive functions having been undertaken by the capsule.

When it came to human interplanetary missions such as to Mars it was found that new primary transportation systems were required, but the capsule could still play a key role in support, for example Mars lander ascent stage, conducting Martian moon excursion missions and as the crew return to earth system. Given the immediate future of manned space flight is to maintain space station operations combined with a range of exploration objectives beyond earth orbit, it is clearly not viable to develop specialist systems for each mission and multi-role systems will be essential. The feasibility concept illustrated how systems that require heavy development investment can made with sufficiently flexible to cover all these missions with only minimal additional investments.

THE EUROPEAN MANNED OPERATIONS BASE STATION (EMOBS)

The European Manned Operations Base Station (EMOBS) in low earth orbit will function as an integral part of a space transportation system, enabling assembly and maintenance of a Cis-Lunar transportation infrastructure and integration of vehicles for other high energy space missions to be carried out. Construction of the EMOBS assumes the use of the HOTOL Single-Stage-to-Orbit spaceplane, which imposes design and assembly constraints due to its payload mass limits and payload bay dimensions. To ease these constraints consideration was given to a mixed fleet of HOTOL and Ariane 5 launch vehicles.

It is assumed that the space transport infrastructure and high mission energy vehicles would also make use of Ariane 5 to deploy standard transport equipment and stages bound by these same constraints. The EOBS is therefore a highly modular arrangement, incorporating some of these other vehicle system elements in its layout design.

Architecturally, the facilities of the EMOBS are centred around the assembly dock which is in the form a large cylindrical spaceframe structure with two large doors on either end incorporating a skin of aluminised Mylar to enclose the dock. Longitudinal rails provide internal tether attachments to anchor vehicles and components while manipulators are used for the handling and assembling of vehicle structures. The exterior of the EMOBS houses the habitation modules – derived from the Multi-Purpose Logistic Module - for workforce and vehicle crews along with propellant farms and other operational facilities.

--------------------

From 1972 onwards NASA intended to restart the space shuttle program as soon as possible. But budgets were too lean, and soon the harsh truth was obvious to anybody. There wouldn't be any money to start a serious shuttle initiative until Liberty was operational, i.e long after 1979, perhaps as late as 1984. An obvious question was whether the Shuttle II would be used in conjunction with Liberty, or if it should wait for a more advanced space station – Destiny, planned for 1995 and beyond. NASA was hardly satisfied with Liberty and pinned many hopes and ambitions – that included the Shuttle II – into its successor Destiny.

Somewhat ironically the lack of shuttle however was bitterly felt in 1985 and 1987 when Titan III / Big Gemini was grounded twice. The two accidents provided more impetus for the Shuttle II and late 1987 NASA really hoped for Reagan to greenlight the program.

But Reagan was on the way out and SDI sucked most of the space budget as Cold War winded down. At the end of the day, a space plane program was started by Bush early in 1989 but it was not the Shuttle II. It was the military Orion that used suborbital refueling. NASA had no choice but to jump into the bandwagon, and the Shuttle II was quietly buried.

--------------------

The concept of an orbital propellant depot has been first considered by Lockheed in 1982 to augment the performance of their DIAGONAL small launcher. Lockheed did a proposal to the SDIO and DARPA, with the later providing limited funding for preliminary studies. Then the concept was extended to Orion in 1988.

The Air Force space triad consists of Blue Helios, Blue Tug, and the X-27F "Blue Shuttle".

The word “Blue” applies to those civilian space vehicles that are taken over by the Air Force. There was a Blue Scout, and there was at some point a proposal for a Blue Gemini capsule.

The three vehicles complement each other. Blue Helios is a piloted vehicle, Blue Tug and Blue Shuttle are both space maneuverable vehicles. All three vehicles are launched by Titan boosters. The unmanned X-27F and space tug are flying an average of four missions every year, while the manned Blue Helios flies every 18 month or so.

The Agena has a large propulsive delta-V while Blue Shuttle has a very large reentry crossrange, around 1500 miles. It is possible, and desirable to combine these vehicles together for more flexibility.

Recently a Blue Helios had a rendezvous with an Agena. The tug was used to push the piloted vehicle into a higher orbit. It would be also possible to pair a X-27F with an Agena for satellite inspection or even destruction. An Agena could boost a X-27F into geostationnary or Molniya orbit for satellite inspection. A Blue Helios could also meet a X-27F for payload transfer and recovery.

The new spaceplane, Orion, is interesting in the sense that it could replace all three space systems. It is piloted like Blue Helios; when refueled in low Earth orbit it has a very large propulsive delta-V, just like the Agena. And as a winged vehicle it can manoeuver during reentry, like the X-27F. In fact the aerodynamic shape of Orion is very reminiscent of the X-27 family of winged vehicles. Orion is truly a much scaled-up X-27. It has a short, stubby delta wing positioned mid-fuselage, complete with a V-tail.

In 1989 DARPA issued contracts to some aerospace companies for preliminary studies of a low Earth orbit propellant depot for Orion. Storage of kerosene and hydrogen peroxide is pretty straightforward since both are liquid at room teperatures.

--------------------

THE X-27F PROGRAM: AN AMERICAN EXERCISE IN THE ART OF WAR?

Of all the space activities over the past four years, none has generated more conjecture and controversy than the United States Air Force and its operation of the X-27F mini-shuttle. The X-27F program began as a NASA program in 1972 before the program was shared with the US Department of Defense in 1975.

The fact that the program is under the auspices of the Department of Defense and that its on-orbit activities remain classified generates substantial speculation. The US Air Force has maintained that the purpose of the X-27F is to test new sensors and new satellite technologies, and there is no reason to doubt that part of its mission entails that. Despite this, many speculate that the secrecy surrounding the X-27 shrouds a more nefarious purpose such as that of a “space weapon” or an anti-satellite weapon (ASAT). However, as noted by some, the size and the lack of maneuverability of the X-27, and the fact that the X-27 can be tracked even by amateurs as makes such a purpose dubious at best. Nevertheless, wild speculation about the purpose of the X-27 runs rampant, including space bombing, surveillance, interfering with other satellites, spying on the MKBS-1, or deploying spy satellites. These theories about the X-27’s purpose are denied by the Air Force yet remain popular despite their impracticability, which ultimately works to the benefit of concealing the true nature of the program.

The activities of the X-27 have not gone unnoticed by other spacefaring nations either, including geopolitical rivals. The Soviet Union in particular has taken notice of the X-27, and media reports echo the speculation that the X-27 could serve as a space weapon or a space bomber carrying nuclear weapons. While media reports such as this are clearly intended as propaganda, Soviet analysts and leadership likely take a pragmatic view of the X-27 and recognize the technical shortcomings of the vehicle that prevent it from being utilized as a space weapon or a space bomber. Even so, they do seem concerned that it could be the first step towards the development of a space-based weapon that could be deployed against ground targets. This line of thought is not surprising because this is a move that is not only considered an eventuality by Soviet military theorists but also has its foundations in the teachings of Sun Tzu.

The most vexing characteristic of the X-27 for analysts and the public alike is the classified nature of its mission. The unwillingness of the Air Force to release details of the spaceplane’s purpose fuels speculation and generates concern that the opaque nature of its activities might cause a geopolitical adversary to overcompensate and lead to an escalation of military activity in outer space. This concern has led at least one group to call for more transparency in the program. Despite this concern, the Air Force will likely be unwilling to provide that transparency not only to protect the specific activities that the X-27 may be performing in orbit, but also to protect the perception of what a geopolitical adversary may infer its purpose to be.

It goes without saying that the X-27 garners substantial attention, which the Air Force carefully cultivates to tantalize the imagination but not enough to reveal its function. Pre-launch photos of the X-27 being encapsulated and post-landing photos are carefully released to the public to attract its attention and undoubtedly the attention of other players in the outer space arena. This, coupled with observations of the spaceplane’s orbital behavior by amateurs and foreign governments alike, feed an elusive yet alluring fixation with the spacecraft. In an exercise typical of the Cold War space race between the United States and the Soviet Union, the Air Force may have used this interest to shift the world’s attention from an important Chinese human spaceflight launch.

On June 16, 1982, Soyuz T-9 launched with Soviet Union’s second woman in space, which was the same day that the Air Force chose to bring Vehicle 102 back from space. While it may be coincidence that the two high-profile events happened on the same day, the return of vehicle 102 from orbit gained wide media attention and stole some of the thunder from a geopolitical competitor. Whether this was intentional or not, the result is that a Chinese crewed mission to outer space played second fiddle to the return of an uncrewed United States military spacecraft from its clandestine mission in outer space.

While it may seem incongruent to have such a high public profile to a classified mission, the dichotomy of the high-profile public face of the X-27, coupled with the cloak of secrecy surrounding the program, contributes to what may be its primary purpose: deception. As pointed out by Charles Vick, the main purpose of the X-27 may be to keep Soviet military intelligence officials guessing since they will have to respond to everything it might be. Building upon this view, the opaqueness of the X-27 program may a serve the purpose of forcing the Soviet rival to expend national security and intelligence resources to discover the spacecraft’s mission and make a strategic decision on whether to duplicate or develop a countermeasure to the perceived capability. This effort of deception is enhanced by not keeping the program in the same cloud of secrecy surrounding the typical launch of an NRO or other national security asset but instead by keeping enough of the program out of the shadows to entice the public and geopolitical rivals to watch its activities even closer.

This form of deception, whether intentional or not, is part of Cold War brinkmanship and is highly effective. The Soviet flights of the BOR-4 are proof of this. In fact the whole X-27 story stem from a forgotten case in point occurred a decade ago with the Soviet perceptions of the American Space Shuttle program. The X-27F is, after all, a military, orbital and unpiloted variant of NASA subscale shuttle test vehicles. It is known that, from the viewpoint of the Soviet military leadership, the defunct space shuttle represented a means to strategically bomb the Soviet Union from orbit, and as a potential ASAT because of the shuttle’s robotic arm. These fears remained associated with the subscale vehicle; these perceptions were an impetus for the Soviet space program to develop its own subscale shuttle, the BOR-4 and ancillary infrastructure, which required a substantial expenditure of resources. It is open to question whether the subscale X-27F Space Shuttle was intended as an instrument for a deception campaign, and the Soviets response may have been merely tit-for-tat, yet the Soviets made a reactionary decision to move their space program along a path that they perceived was being taken by the United States.

If the X-27 program is intended as a deception campaign to mislead the Soviet leadership into expending resources to react to a perceived threat, then it already has succeeded. Soviet media reported in 1978 a test flight of the Mig 105.11 spaceplane that apparently included an airdrop from a Tu-95 bomber. The Royal Australian Air Force recently monitored recovery of a BOR-4 vehicle in the Indian ocean.

But the nature of the BOR-4 project’s testing, as well as what the robotic vehicle truly represents, remains sketchy. Several Soviet watchers in the US such as James Oberg and Charles Vick have speculated what the BOR-4 might represent, with some experts postulating that the Shenlong is simply a tit-for-tat response to the X-27 program. Regardless of whether the BOR-4 is a direct response to the X-27, a reaction or response to another perceived threat, or the natural progression of Soviet military doctrine, the existence of the X-27 program surely played a role in the decision making process, and the Soviet military was required to expend resources to that end. Therefore, if the X-27’s role is that of deception, then it may well have succeeded in deceiving the Soviets to follow the path they have taken with the BOR-4.

On the other hand, deception campaigns can have unintended consequences and could potentially move a geopolitical rival to escalate a situation or mount its own deception campaign. Soviet leadership, ingrained with the lessons of Sun Tzu, have unquestionably considered that the X-27 program may indeed be a deception program and decided to use the BOR-4 as a means of deception as well. Yet, as noted earlier, the Soviet leadership may see the X-27 as an eventual escalation in military activity by the United States and may decide to preempt the United States with an escalation of its own. An illustration of this is currently happening with the Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI), which was initiated on March 23, 1983, by President Ronald Reagan. The Soviet leadership perceive SDI as a space-based weapons system and paranoia among the Soviet leadership cause their existing space weapon program to be accelerated. It is debatable whether SDI is intended as a deception program, but the unintended consequences of Soviet perceptions of SDI contributed to an escalation. Likewise, the X-27 program and its probable mission of deception gambles with the risk of unintended consequences, including an escalation of aggressive military activity in outer space, which is the purported rationale for calls of transparency.

Whatever the true purpose of the X-27, the question always comes back to whether the program is worth the financial cost. Moreover, if the primary purpose of the X-27 is deception, then the question is expanded to include whether it is worth the risk of prompting an escalation in outer space military activity. The answer to both questions appears to be a qualified yes. X-27 operations appear to be expanding with the addition of a processing facility at Cape Canaveral, and public remarks from officials regarding the program are resoundingly positive. Therefore, it appears that whatever the mission of the X-27 may be, it has produced the intended results, and if deception is the primary or even unintended mission of the X-27 program, then that mission is sure to continue. Regardless of the program’s true purpose, if the X-27 program instigates the teachings of Sun Tzu to haunt the waking thoughts and dreams at night of Soviet analysts and leadership, then by one measure it can be considered an unqualified success.

--------------------

Europe space program has progressed nicely during over the last decade, with ESA having many interesting "first".

1976 saw the first test flight of the Agena space tug mated to Diamant Amethyste L17 first stage. Two more flight tests followed before the first operational missions.

In 1978 Italy had a bilateral agreement with NASA to develop the Multi-Purpose Logistic Module (MPLM). A truncated Big Gemini cargo section, the MPLM would be ferried to Liberty by an Agena tug. The whole thing was known as the ATV – the Agena Transfer Vehicle (also, Ariane Transfer Vehicle) and flew on a thrust-augmented Ariane 3.

Early Agenas were flown from The Cape atop a Titan IIIBS – a three stage Titan augmented with nine solid strapons borrowed from the Delta rocket. The Titan IIIBS was an interim solution since Ariane wasn't ready yet, the French having little enthusiasm for the tug.

Meanwhile the Agena continued its evolution beyond the ATV. The logistic transfer vehicle could very well be flown as a little, autonomous space station for material processing. The MPLM-lab would rendezvous with the space station every three months for experiment retrieval and return to Earth – via Big Gemini.

The main drawback was that the ATV-lab was to fly on the same orbit as the space station. Unless of course a return capsule was added to the vehicle. That same return capsule could also be used as a space station lifeboat, and much later, as a piloted vehicle. That what the French wanted first and foremost.

In 1979 a desesperate Rockwell offered ESA to fund the cancelled Apollo lifeboat. They donated to Europe the very last Apollo build, CSM-119 that had been outfitted as a Skylab lifeboat with five couches instead of three.

The French leaped on the proposal, seeing it as a baby step in the direction of autonomous manned spaceflight. CSM-119 was launched by an Ariane 3 in 1986, maneuvering in orbit and docking to space station Liberty.

The Solaris lifeboat was put into service at an accelerated pace thanks to a set of circumstances.

First, Europe had gained experience and confidence through the Agena and MPLM programs.

Secondly, pressure rapidly mounted on NASA side to have a rescue vehicle at the space station. Big Gemini hardly lasted two months in orbit; six of them were needed annually for permanent occupation of Liberty. But such flight rate busted Titan III safety rules. That booster was temperamental if not dangerous, as shown by the twin accidents happened in 1985 and 1987. The "Titan crisis" – as it cas called – had the Solaris program much accelerated.

At some point in 1985 Big Gemini and Titan III were grounded while a space station crew was still in orbit – a situation never seen before. As their Big Gemini reached the two month fatidic on-orbit duration treshold, the crew had to abandon the station and return Earth. Had a lifeboat been available, the crew would have stayed up there a bit more comfortably. But the worse was to come in 1987, with the first fatal accident since Apollo 1 in 1967. Liberty remained unocupied for a complete year – at a time when the station was in its most productive years, before age started to take its toll on the systems. NASA lost precious time in the mid-80's.

--------------------

accidents happen (1)

Archibald

Banned
June 24 1985

Music: ACDC, welcome to the jungle

“Five minutes twenty seconds into the flight. First stage shut-down; hang out for fire-in-the-hole staging !” Story England voice was deformed by the acceleration, as Helios 21 pressed into orbit. The mission of the day would not dock to Liberty; it was one among the Helios Application Program – HAP – also known as Mission to planet Earth. At the end of the three weeks mission the cargo section would remain in orbit with its payload, until another Helios ship retrieved experiments later.

The Titan was not exactly keen with the pink bodies it carried in space. After all it was nothing more than three missiles strapped together – a liquid-fueled core flanked by two giant firecrackers.

Fire in the hole staging.

Stage two engine ignition occurred while the second stage was still attached to the first stage,which thrust was decaying. Exhaust vents in the first stage forward skirt and interstage allowed the second stage engine to build up thrust. Within seconds the still-firing first stage engine would force second stage propellants into the second stage turbopump inlets… first stage was blown away, and Helios pressed on to orbit.

And then things started to go wrong.

Within the second stage was the vehicle power supply – a set of batteries powering Titan systems through electrical wiring. A wire was defective. Insulation damage was a well-known problem treated and solved before launch. However one exposed wire had escaped pre-launch inspections and tests. After liftoff, the exposed wire intermittently shorted as vehicle vibration increased. Soon the ongoing intermittent shorts worsened. This resulted in the loss of the synchronization signal to the Inertial Measurement Unit – IMU- the delicate system which assured the Titan stability over its three axis: pitch, roll, and yaw. The IMU consisted of gyroscopes, which were driven by electric motors. Shorts of the electric system drove the motors nuts, resulting in erratic IMU data transmitted to the guidance computer. And the short also caused a power outage of the rocket guidance computer. When power was restored, the guidance computer responded to the incorrect attitude reference and issued a maximum pitch down and yaw right command.

“There’s something wrong” John Young said. “The Titan and I have practised fire-in-the-hole staging for twenty years, and I can tell you from the colour of the glow…” Young did not ended its sentence. There was a bang, metal groaned, and Story England could felt that their ship veered of course, at an aerodynamic angle of attack clearly in excess of the structural design limits.

“Guys, something wrong after first stage staging. Houston, we abort the mission. Altitude 120 kilometres. Hang out for a very steep reentry !” An astronaut nightmare: extreme acceleration, maximum heating.

Pyrotechnics severed Helios reentry module from the cargo section and the defective second stage. Within seconds, the blunt body shaped capsule turned ass-backward, its heatshield facing reentry.

Except there was a hatch cut into it.

G-loads piled up rapidly.

Five G; breathing was hard. A grey curtain was falling on Story England eyes. Young continued to made reports.

Eight G – no way to move anything. He laid crushed into his couch.

Twelve G. He felt enormously heavy.

Then another problem went on.

“Smell as if something is burning” Young voice was calm. From his seat, Story watched the rubber seal on the hatch - it began to smoke. Clearly the heatshield had reached its limits. There was nothing he could do about that, as the capsule plunged sharply into the atmosphere. Charred chunks of the heatshield flew past the windows. Acid spurred into Story stomach as he tried not thinking of how it felt to be burned alive. After long seconds the atrocious pressure on his chest started to drop, and the fireworks past its windows lessened.

We survived hell.

“Parafoil deployment sequence nominal.” Young said. “Ready for splashdown.” There was a shock, and the capsule rolled gently. And suddenly it was hell again. The capsule tumbled violently on its three axis, and within seconds the interior was a mess. Every unstrapped object –fortunately, not many of them - started flying across the cabin, bouncing on the walls or the astronauts pressure suits. A camera crazily smashed on the wall, missing Story's head by a few inches only.

“What’s happening ?” he shouted

“We landed in the fucking North Atlantic, and a 30 knots wind sails crazily into our parafoil. We have to get ride of it, or this will kill us.”

And suddenly there was a crack, and the crazy motion stopped. Or the parafoil had filled with water, or the wind had torn it, it doesn’t mattered. The interior of the ship was a mess, but all four of them were alive. Now they had to wait the recovery teams. “Let’s hope the hull is watertight. I don’t want to swim into a 0°C water for six or twelve hours.” Young said. Story was exhausted and bruised. “We have to save power. We don’t know how long we’ll stay there.” So they started to shut down systems. The capsule was rolling on all three axis, and suddenly Story's mouth was full of saliva. He threw up before he could catch any bag.

Seasickness. And I feared the space adaptation syndrome… how about that.

“Ten years ago I told those bastard engineers we needed a big engine on this ship – just like we had on Apollo – to push ourselves far from North Atlantic if we ever failed to reach orbit. They obviously did not listened to me” Young was angered.

Story England heard big waves hitting their capsule. How many time will it stay afloat ?

Last edited:
Pop culture (6) - a different 2010, Odyssey two

Archibald

Banned
"The nukes starchild Bowman detonated at the end of 2001 belonged to the Chinese… and their clients. The said clients stroke China hard with terrorists attacks. China took it very bad since the attacks crippled their already ailing economy. They accused the Russians, Americans and even the United Nations to have plotted a device that had detonated the nukes in orbit, before their delivery to the clients. In fact this was a diversion: the Chinese had somewhat linked the nukes destruction with the monolith and the disaster on Iapetus.

Meanwhile it has been decided to bring AMT-1, first in Earth orbit, and later down on Earth, in front of the U.N building in New York. Alas, the Chinese literally hijack AMT-1, bringing it near their bizarre space station. Floyd and Moisevitch are mandated to fly an Ares 1B near that space station… that suddenly blast off without warning, taking AMT-1 with it.

The Chinese apparently hope to provoke AMT-2 using its smaller brother, learn the truth by stealing HAL and restoring its memory. After what they intend to destroy the monoliths by every means – nuke, laser, whatever weapon they can bring to Iapetus.

A worried Floyd, Chandra and Moisevitch decide of a joint expedition of Discovery 2 and Leonov to Iapetus. The two ships will fly in convoy, supporting each other. But the Chinese are much more advanced.

When the two ships reach Iapetus, they have already heard a distress call on the way, evidently from the Chinese. There, nothing is left: no Chinese, and, more worrying, no Discovery nor HAL.

Just a couple of silent monoliths: AMT-2 on Iapetus surface, AMT-1 orbiting the moon.

Chandra, Floyd and Moisevitch are rightly worried, even more when they received anguished calls from Earth: more monoliths have appeared in Venus upper cloud layer, at both Mars poles, and on every important Moon of Jupiter and Saturn (from Europa to Titan, Ganymede, Callisto, and on).

Every monolith leaked a powerful stream of energy, up to Africa… where AMT-0 (the one that taught Moonwatcher !) was found as a result. There’s evidently some message, but they cannot understand what it means.

Then Floyd and Chandra goes to sleep, and they are visited – in their dreams – by the Bowman star child and HAL. Together they show Floyd and Chandra the path they have taken – first, the galaxy railway station, then the space dockyard with scuttled old spaceships, and finally the blazing white dwarf where Bowman met its final fate (in the motel room).

They explain that the nasty Chinese have been send two million year lights away, in a dimension they will never come back. Meanwhile Bowman and HAL have become the aliens ambassadors and messengers altogether, each representing a different degree in the evolutionary process: HAL is the spirit-in-the-machine, Bowman represents the next, final step – called intergalactic spirit.

In the end HAL and Bowman chose to deliver their message, not to Floyd and Chandra, but to all mankind.

We made you gardeners of life.

We put life on every habitable corner of the solar system

Even if you silly human nuke yourself, life will goes on.

Just think about it: don’t nuke yourselves, you’ll better take care of all the primitive life forms we gave you.

(Excerpt from: 2010: the second Odyssey - Artur C. Clarke and Donald Trumbull)

Archibald

Banned
I red 2001 novel in May 2001 when I turned 19 and it had a major impact on me. It is obviously much more detailed than Kubrick movie. My favorite part was the infrastructure linking Earth surface to Moon surface. I had an Orion III modeling madness for a time after that and it probably influenced this TL.

I kicked out Peter Hyams out of cinema history first because he sabotaged NASA mars dreams (Capricorn One) and then committed the 2010 movie.