A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

VVD0D95

Banned
That always is the big question. They have their partisans of course, but I think that most people won't want to join in just yet. There is a lot to lose after all. That doesn't mean that they are against York as king, they just would want to see what's happening first. An early victory somewhere could bring in quite a few more people for instance.

Agreed, and one imagines if they manage to take London, more support will trickle in.

Chapter 99: Possessions

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 99: Possessions

September, 1458

“You know it would probably be easier to read if you didn’t sit like that.” Margaret said to her husband as she came to sit in the chair next to him.

Her husband, the Earl of Rutland, was currently sat leaning forward with his elbows on his knees, his head jutting forward. The book was before him. Without looking at her he said. “I know, but I wanted to try something.”

“What did you want to try?” Margaret asked, wondering what new experiment her husband was doing.

“I wanted to see how long it would take before you came in and said what you said.” Edmund replied straightening out and grinning at her.

Margaret looked at him and wasn’t sure what to think. Her husband was a curious man, he wasn’t as open and frank as his brother, the Earl of March, but he was much kinder than March was. He spoke in riddles sometimes, but always made sure she had what she wanted. It was hard to know where she stood with him. “And why would you want to know that?”

Edmund’s grin widened. “Because it is important to know what you would say when you saw me doing something quite so ridiculous.”

“Why?” Margaret asked, unsure of whether her husband was testing her or not.

Edmund stood up and the book fell to the floor, he raised his hands and yawned, then said. “Because we live in testing times.”

“You mean because of what happened up north?” Margaret asked, referring to what she had learned from her sister in law Margaret about the fight between Warwick and Northumberland.

“Yes.” Edmund said. “Father has gone to meet with Lord Salisbury and with cousin Warwick.”

There was a hint of concern in her husband’s voice. It was subtle, but Margaret had found herself adjusting to ensure she could catch such things. She wondered if her husband had done the same with her. “What do you think they will discuss?” She asked.

Edmund sighed. “Whether to depose the King or not.”

His bluntness surprised her, she had not thought he would be quite so honest with her. She tried to mask her surprise, but before she could, Edmund continued. “It makes no sense to hide anything now.”

“Why?” Margaret asked, wondering what else her husband had hidden from her.

“You are my wife.” Edmund said, but the way he said the last word, made Margaret wonder what was bothering him. She decided against pursuing that line of inquiry, and instead focused on their initial point of discussion.

“So, do you think they should depose the King?” Margaret asked.

“I do not know.” Edmund replied, sighing, his entire body moving with the gesture. “King Henry was chosen by God.”

“So was King Richard, but he was deposed.” Margaret pointed out. “King Henry’s grandfather removed a corrupt and incompetent King and the realm eventually prospered.”

“After a decade of civil strife.” Edmund countered.

“Strife that was only prolonged because those who were leading it refused to acknowledge that King Henry had some sense in what he had done.” Margaret said.

“Do you think it will be different if my father deposes this King Henry?” Edmund asked, not sounding convinced himself.

Margaret hesitated. She knew her husband was not naïve, and she herself was not naïve enough to believe it would be an easy road, but she also knew that her father in law was smart, hardworking and most importantly he had allies amongst the aristocracy, the major landowners such as Salisbury and Warwick supported him. That was something Henry IV had not had initially. “I think there will be difficulties, but ultimately I think Lord York will triumph.”

“Why?” Her husband asked.

“Because he has allies but most importantly, he inspires devotion.” Margaret said, and as she said those words she realised how true they were. She had heard and seen how Lord York’s tenants and servants spoke and acted around him. They adored him. Such a thing was not easily won. As her own mother, had found after father had died.

“Devotion does not win a crown.” Edmund said.

“No,” Margaret agreed. “but it can keep it.” She took a breath and then added. “You think that in the depths of winter when there are enemies all around that someone like Northumberland would stick by my uncle Somerset?”

“No.” Her husband answered immediately.

“But someone such as Warwick would stand by Lord York.” Margaret said. “Why?”

Her husband said nothing, his face became lined with concentration, and for a moment Margaret wondered if she’d perhaps gone into this too quickly. Her husband was not stupid, far from it, but sometimes, one could not lead a horse to water if the horse was scared of it. Eventually though, her husband replied. “Because Warwick knows my father, he trusts him, and that trust is enough to lead him through several types of hell.”

“Exactly.” Margaret said. “Lord York and Warwick have fought together, they have bled together, and that as you have said so many times before breeds a certain bond. The King does not have that bond with anyone.”

“But, he is still the King.” Edmund said.

“Yes, but does he act like one?” Margaret asked.

Again, her husband fell silent and Margaret worried that she may have pushed too hard. She was also distinctly aware that the questions she was asking of her husband bordered on treason, but she wanted to see what he would say.

“No.” Edmund replied. “He does not.”

“So, why should anyone fight and die for such a man, if he is not willing to do the same?” Margaret asked. “God does not command us to follow those who will not protect us.”

Her husband sighed again, he surprised her then by taking her hand and kissing it. “You are right, of course. But then, we must ensure this does not set a precedent.”

“I agree.” Margaret said, but she was confident that her father in law would find a way to ensure that it didn’t. And if he couldn’t then her mother in law would.

Just seems a scion of the royal family should already have come to Margaret's conclusions on his own. His ancestors have been leaders and kings of England for ten generations, you'd think he knows “Lord York and Warwick have fought together, they have bled together, and that as you have said so many times before breeds a certain bond. The King does not have that bond with anyone.”

Eh, but maybe I'm projecting Edward's cynicism and world-wise nature onto Edmund. He is only 15 after all.

VVD0D95

Banned
Just seems a scion of the royal family should already have come to Margaret's conclusions on his own. His ancestors have been leaders and kings of England for ten generations, you'd think he knows “Lord York and Warwick have fought together, they have bled together, and that as you have said so many times before breeds a certain bond. The King does not have that bond with anyone.”

Eh, but maybe I'm projecting Edward's cynicism and world-wise nature onto Edmund. He is only 15 after all.
Tbf Edmund may also not want to think the thoughts he’s now thinking cause treason

Chapter 100: Doubts

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 100: Doubts

October, 1458

“Warwick has committed treason.” Margaret said, looking at her husband intently. “He was summoned here to answer for his crimes, Egremont appeared as did Northumberland, but not Warwick.”

“I know.” Henry replied, not looking at her.

“What are you going to do?” Margaret asked.

“What can I do?” Henry replied turning to look at her.

“You could summon here, send men to drag him here, or you could do what you should have done after Birmingham and attaint him.” Margaret said.

Her husband sighed. “Summoning him here clearly won’t work. Dragging him here will degrade him and the Crown. As for attainting him after Birmingham? For what? He was not responsible for that mess.”

“He was one of the main instigators. You heard what Dee said!” Margaret replied. Dee had been quite clear on that point. Warwick and his father had convinced York to raise his banner and go to war.

Henry sighed. “That was then, this is now.”

“So, you’re going to let him get away with this?” Margaret asked fighting hard to not show her disgust.

“I did not say that.” Henry replied, his face contorting into a frown.

“So, what exactly are you going to do?” Margaret asked.

“I’m going to push him into a corner alongside his father and York. I am going to see what they do.” Henry said.

“How?” Margaret asked.

“Ireland.” Henry said.

“Ireland?” Margaret replied.

“Ireland is on fire; Kildare is fighting Ormond. York has long had an interest in Ireland, but he is also partial to Kildare. Given that Kildare was the one who started the current chaos, I want to see what York does.” Henry answered.

“You’re going to send all three of them to Ireland?” Margaret asked, that sounded ridiculous and dangerous.

“Not all three, just two of them.” Henry said. “York and Warwick.”

“To what end?” Margaret asked, this strategy was completely mind boggling to her.

“To the end that they are going to run into tension. York will no doubt want to bring the fighting to a peaceful end without taking sides. Warwick will want to side with anyone who is opposed to Somerset, given Somerset’s ties with the Ormond faction, you know what that will mean.” Henry said.

“They will eventually come to blows.” Margaret said, she knew that even a man like York who supposedly had endless patience would get frustrated with Warwick and his attempts to sabotage a peace.

“Exactly.” Henry replied smiling. “And when the time comes I shall deal with them.”

“You will?” Margaret asked, she wasn’t sure if she believed her husband. After all, Somerset had been in London for a month and a half now, and as far as she was aware, her husband hadn’t even met with him.

“I will.” Henry said.

Henry’s jaw was set in that manner that indicated that he had made his mind up and wasn’t going to be deterred whatsoever. Consequently, Margaret decided not to ask him about that. She was about to ask him about Somerset, but before she could get the words out, Henry spoke, a question in his tone.

“How is Ned doing?”

Their son had fallen ill with something a few days’ ago, leaving with a high temperature and constant need to use the water closet. She didn’t know what had caused it, neither did the doctors. “He is still unwell.”

Henry nodded, he’d been to see their son a day ago or so. “Do they know what is wrong with him?”

Margaret shook her head. “No, they can’t tell what’s caused this.”

“It could be poison.” Henry said.

“By who?” Margaret asked, York was the first name her mind went to, but he didn’t have the power in London to do that, she’d made sure of that.

“Somerset.” Henry said.

“Somerset?” Margaret replied. She didn’t think it could be possible. Somerset was…. he was many things but not a poisoner.

“Yes, he’s not been idle since he came here. Dee told me that he’s had meetings with several people, all of whom are known to be dealing in substances that can cause pain.” Henry said.

“But why would he want to poison our son?” Margaret asked.

“Because he was the throne.” Henry said.

Margaret snorted. “So, you’re ready to believe he wants the throne but not York?” She couldn’t believe this, had her husband forgotten all the good work Somerset had done for him?

Henry sighed. “York has been my heir for a long time, if he wanted the throne he would have claimed it by now. But Somerset? Somerset has always harboured ideas above his station. I know why he wanted his son married to Margaret Beaufort. I know why he objects so strenuously, even now, to his son marrying York’s daughter. He will try and put a bill before Parliament that will get him moved up into the succession.”

“Are you sure?” Margaret asked, she hadn’t heard anything about this, and she was confident her sources would’ve learned about this.

“I am.” Henry said. “The wording of my grandfather’s entail was distinctly vague, and many think it is illegal. Consequently, Somerset will try and use that doubt to put himself into the succession.”

“Directly?” Margaret asked.

“No, but he will get one of his proxies to do it. Shrewsbury or Lisle. And they will claim they are introducing the bill because of what York and Warwick have done and are about to do.” Henry said.

Margaret looked at her husband and asked. “If you know all of this why haven’t you done anything?”

Henry sighed. “Because I am waiting for him to do it. I cannot act before he has done something treasonable. Doing so would give him and anyone else reason to doubt my sincerity.”

“And you do not think your inaction since Birmingham has not done that already?” Margaret snapped. The moment the words left her mouth she wished she could call them back. Her husband looked at her with such a wounded expression, she wanted to apologise, but the words wouldn’t come out.

Henry sighed. “I am just letting you know. Do with that information what you will.”

Margaret watched as her husband got up and walked out of the room, leaving her alone and confused.

Chapter 101: Coup-e-ton

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 101: Coup-e-ton

November, 1458

Edmund Beaufort, Duke of Somerset read through his wife’s letter again and sighed. He was beginning to miss the woman, and that was not something he was used to. Usually, they tolerated one another, and held themselves together for their children. But now, now he was starting to miss her. He wondered if that meant his end was drawing near.

After all, the King had summoned him to London and then avoided him. Edmund had asked Shrewsbury and Lisle to send a message to the King, but he was not sure if they had done it. Regardless, he was in London now, and he would not leave until the King deigned to meet him. No matter how long that would be.

A door opened and a soldier announced. “His Grace, the King.”

Surprised, Edmund dropped the letter and hurriedly stood up. The King walked in, accompanied by two guards, who took up position near the door. Edmund noted that the King walked with a slight limp and that there were bags under his eyes. “Your Grace.” Edmund said, bowing as the King came to stand before him.

“Sit.” The King commanded, and so Edmund sat. He watched as the King slowly lowered himself into a chair nearby, the man winced as his bottom hit the chair, and Edmund wondered at that.

“It has been sometime since we saw one another.” The King said.

“It has, Sire.” Edmund replied.

The King nodded then said. “I summoned you to London to discuss one thing and one thing only, and I want you to be honest with me.”

“Sire.” Edmund said, wondering where this was going.

“Why have you been sabotaging my council?” The King asked.

“Sire?” Edmund replied, surprised. He had not thought it would go there. Indeed, he had not thought the King would talk about that at all.

“Do not play coy.” The King replied. “I know you have been giving instructions to your son about how he should control the Council. I know you’ve been telling Shrewsbury and Lisle to obstruct any good proposals that come from Norfolk or Exeter.”

Edmund didn’t know what to say. The King was right, but if he admitted that, he was as good as dead.

“So, why.” The King demanded.

“Sire…. I….” Edmund began.

“Think before you answer.” The King interrupted.

Edmund did just that. There were two options that presented themselves to him now. He could lie, and say that he had only been trying to help and that the council had gone too far, or he could tell the truth. And the truth would likely make his situation a lot worse. He sighed. The King was looking at him with narrowed eyes, clearly trying to decide where Edmund would go.

Edmund took a breath and then said. “I got jealous, Sire.”

“Jealous?” The King asked, sounding surprised. Clearly he’d not expected Edmund to go down this route.

“Yes, Sire.” Edmund said. “After Birmingham, I was jealous of those you had trusted. Especially my son. I am embarrassed to admit it, but after Birmingham I feared my days in the sun were done. And I did not want that.” He took a breath. “It is a characteristic that I share with my uncle.”

“Your uncle?” The King asked.

“Yes, he too refused to give up power when the time was right. He stayed in far longer than needed and caused chaos. I realise now that I do not want that to be my legacy.” Edmund said, and he knew that to be true. He didn’t want chaos, he wanted peace. At least with his eldest son somewhere near the council.

“Then you have a way to achieve that.” The King said.

“Sire?” Edmund replied, leaning forward.

“Warwick refused to come to answer for his crimes. Northumberland and Shrewsbury argue that I should have him attainted. Whilst Norfolk and Exeter argue that you should be banished for what you have done. I have a middle ground solution.” The King said.

“I am eager to hear it, Sire.” Edmund said.

“You and York are to put aside your feud, and reconcile.” The King said.

“Sire?” Edmund replied surprised. He had not expected this.

“You two have had as damaging a feud as the Percys and the Nevilles. It is destroying the Kingdom. I shall tolerate it no longer. York is coming here for Christmas, you shall stay here until then, and you shall formally reconcile with him. A service of thanks shall be held at Westminster Abbey to celebrate this.” The King said. “Alongside a wedding between your son and his daughter.”

Edmund wanted to protest, he knew that York would never agree to this. York wanted him dead just as much as he wanted York dead. But the way the King had announced this and the way the King was looking at him now, told him that the King would not hear a refusal. Therefore, he said. “I will do this, Your Grace.”

“Good.” The King said. “And when that is done, you shall go with York to Ireland.”

“Sire?” Edmund exclaimed, what was this now?

“To show that your reconciliation is genuine, you two are going to work together to bring Ireland back in line.” The King said.

“Sire…I…” Edmund began, before the King spoke over him.

“I will hear no complaints about this. It is my will.”

Edmund bowed his head, though he knew that York would never agree to this, and when York didn’t agree, he’d get his out. “Sire.”

The King rose then, prompting Edmund to do the same. “I shall expect you in Parliament on the morrow.”

“Sire.” Edmund replied, Parliament was going to be discussing something to do with France, and Shrewsbury was going to introduce his succession bill.

“Good.” The King nodded, Edmund bowed his head and watched as the King walked out of the room.

The moment the man was gone, Edmund sat back down and sighed. Tomorrow was going to be a busy day. He had the feeling it might be the busiest day in Parliament’s history.

“Good.” The King said. “And when that is done, you shall go with York to Ireland.”

“Sire?” Edmund exclaimed, what was this now?

“To show that your reconciliation is genuine, you two are going to work together to bring Ireland back in line.” The King said.
Ahh yes, nothing solves the problem in a country rife with factions and discontent than leaders who will constantly sabotage and backstab each other. This seems like an awful idea

VVD0D95

Banned
Ahh yes, nothing solves the problem in a country rife with factions and discontent than leaders who will constantly sabotage and backstab each other. This seems like an awful idea

Most assuredly so, and if Henry were competent he could use that to take power away from the nobles, alas

Things are about to get dangerous. It's hard because I'm rooting for York, but I also don't want H6 to die. This is difficult.

Also which York daughter will marry henry beaufort? I can't remember.