A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

Chapter 117: A Father's Desire

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 117: A Father’s Desire

November, 1459

“It seems that Coventry has become a bastion for the Lancastrians now. At least under Buckingham and Shrewsbury.” Richard Neville, Earl of Salisbury said, looking down at the letter his son had sent him.

“How?” The King asked.

“Shrewsbury and Buckingham went against conventional wisdom and have kept taxes low. They’ve also ordered their men to take shelter in the town hall rather than billeting them on the families in Coventry.” Richard answered.

“How long can they keep that for?” The King asked.

“Perhaps another month. Sooner or later, they will run out of space. The Earl of Warwick has been conducting raids on their supply trains, he writes that they will run out of food by January.” Richard said. His son had done the smart thing, by using his friends within Coventry to provide his search parties with information on when and where the food that Shrewsbury and Buckingham were using would come from.

The King considered this. “If they hold onto Coventry into the new year then that will raise questions. Questions that we would rather not answer.”

“I know, Sire.” Richard said. How Warwick, his own son, had not thought to protect Coventry in greater detail than he had done, escaped him. He thought he’d trained the boy better than that.

“Therefore, we have two options before us. Either we hope that Warwick succeeds in starving them out of Coventry, or we move into position to force them out now.” The King said.

“I think it would be best if we moved into position, Sire.” Richard said.

“Why?” The Prince of Wales asked.

Richard looked at the younger man, he towered over all of them, and his broad frame made it seem like he should be the King, not his rather thinner father. “Because, Your Highness, the greater increase of men around them will show Buckingham and Shrewsbury that there is no way out. Neither man is like their father, they will want to handle that situation head on.”

“But is it wise to start marching now?” The Prince of Wales asked. “It is almost the beginning of winter.”

“That is all the more reason to start marching now. The sooner we drive them out the better it will be.” Richard replied. “And the easier it will be to then deal with Henry of Lancaster.” That man was still in Cornwall, causing all sorts of issues.

“Very well.” The King said. “Warwick has two thousand men. You shall go with an extra five hundred. I want Buckingham and Shrewsbury brought back in chains.”

“Sire.” Richard said. He’d tell his captains to get ready the moment he left the council meeting today.

“Cornwall is still an issue though, Sire.” The Prince of Wales said. “The longer Henry of Lancaster sits in Truro, the harder it is for trade links to be re-established.”

“What do you suggest then?” The King asked of his eldest son.

The Prince didn’t respond, instead he looked at Richard who did. “I think it is better that we let Henry of Lancaster sit in Truro for now. Let him watch as Shrewsbury and Buckingham are destroyed. Then let him watch as Northumberland is destroyed. He will only have his army left, and that won’t be enough.”

The King looked as if he might reject that, but then he said. “Very well, but we must get the Breton marriage sorted.”

“Of course, Sire.” Richard said. The King had set his sights on the Duke of Brittany as a husband for his daughter Elizabeth. It was a sensible marriage as it would give them an ally against France and would also give them additional trade through the networks that the Breton traders had developed on the south coast. “My brother has written to say that good progress has been made. The Duke has accepted a reduced dowry for Princess Elizabeth.” His brother had had to engage in some serious wordplay to get that done.

“Excellent.” The King said, breaking out into a rare smile. “We intend to see them married by April at the latest.”

“Sire.” Richard said.

The King then turned to look at the Prince of Wales. “And your marriage shall be arranged soon enough.”

The Prince nodded, but he looked far from happy. The King continued. “We have considered the choices and the best candidates are Marie of Foix and Infante Catherine of Portugal.”

Richard spoke then. “I believe that Marie of Foix would be a more appropriate marriage, Sire. She is of an age with His Highness and she comes from a very fertile family.”

“I agree, Sire.” The Prince of Wales said.

“Very well.” The King said.

There was a pause, then the King rose, which prompted them all to rise. “If there is nothing more, we should all be getting on. Richard, I want you prepared to leave by the morning.”

“Sire.” Richard replied, bowing once and watching as the King walked out of the room. He had a lot to do in a short amount of time then.

VVD0D95

Banned
Oh dear. I sense a Wakefield on the way...

Also, I love the ideas of these matches, but was Elizabeth not married to Suffolk by now?

Otl she was yes, but ttl she was originally betrothed to Henry Beaufort, Earl of Dorset as a means of reconciliation, but with that betrothal now broken, she's free as a bird. Was thinking Suffolk's married elsewhere, though not entirely sure.
Man don't tell me Edward gets with Nan Butler in every universe! Great update

Oh?

Oh dear. I sense a Wakefield on the way...

Also, I love the ideas of these matches, but was Elizabeth not married to Suffolk by now?
That my be a to obvious a plot but it would y interesting if Richard or Edward get killed. My be reverse what happened historically but their have already been massive divergence. In OTL Richard III Duke of York was not remembered as king Richard III of England and Margaret Beaufort was married to Edmund Tudor. We will have to see what author has planned.

Otl she was yes, but ttl she was originally betrothed to Henry Beaufort, Earl of Dorset as a means of reconciliation, but with that betrothal now broken, she's free as a bird. Was thinking Suffolk's married elsewhere, though not entirely sure.

Oh?
Ah yes, of course! In which case, Brittany works very nicely. Burgundy for Meg as OTL and keep the triangular anti-French alliance going?

Sounds perfect to me.

Joan Stafford works.
Is Anne of York available? I have just read that Charles wanted to marry her instead of Isabella of Bourbon. It's too late for that, but if Isabella dies early - or butterflies mean Charles hasn't married Isabella, perhaps they could marry now. Meg's still a bit too young.