A Storm Over Okehazama Redux: A Sengoku Japan TL

Map of the World 1578
Okehazama World.jpeg

So in terms of new additions I'll go by continent.

Europe :
Orange, Grand Duchy of the Netherlands: Ruled by Grand Duke Carlos von Habsburg.
Dark Green, Khanate of Crimea, (Khan Sherdan Giray's Russian backed faction)

Asia:

Indian Subcontinent

Green: Ghakar Emirate ruled by Adam Khan
Light Green: Odisha Statelets
Violet: Ahmednagar ruled by Murtaza Nizam Shahi
Light Purple: Bijapur ruled by Ali Adil Shahi
Grey: Berar ruled by Ali Barid Shahi

Other additions are mainly the reunification of Dai Viet, A possibly temporary end of the Polish-Lithuanian Union, showing Taungoo's influence in Southeast Asia, and what little the Imagawa have done to colonize the South West islands.

Hey, I'm posting this update to make something a formal hiatus. I just don't know if I have the inspiration for this anymore. I mean most of my updates are rather low in word counts, while I've given fanfiction and short stories far more attention. My interest is at time just waning, or other times just some half hearted effort at some kind of plot or the other. I guess it might come back to me later, but for now I just don't have it.

Hey, I'm posting this update to make something a formal hiatus. I just don't know if I have the inspiration for this anymore. I mean most of my updates are rather low in word counts, while I've given fanfiction and short stories far more attention. My interest is at time just waning, or other times just some half hearted effort at some kind of plot or the other. I guess it might come back to me later, but for now I just don't have it.
Best of luck!

Part 58: Reflections
November 28th, 1577

Pacific Ocean

A ship called the Sagami-maru was sailing in the direction towards the lands of the Spanish New World. In one the cabins Cathan and Richard where sitting

"I cannot believe we're finally leaving that land. I hope my Lord understands."

"You do not share his taste for adventure?"

"No, I don't care for the sea or ships and have seen enough of them in my lifetime even if I were to live to be one hundred summers, but I am only here to protect my lord. You managed to see those ships you were looking to see?"

"If you can even call floating forts proper ships, although I suppose seeing one of those ships from the Chosenji made up for it." Richard heard that aside from Giaponese other peoples and great lands existed to the their very East, one the Chosenji being one such people.

"Pardon me, but it could always be worse. At least you two were not here when we had to face down the Turk, completely done on a whim."

I heard that it was divine providence to at least some papist fellows on the ship?.” Luis shot Richard a quick glance of annoyance relgion was a topic they seldom talked about, and Luis had learned some English from him while he traveled with them.

“No, it was foolish curiosity and then we were in the thick of battle against the Turk. Even facing the admiral of the fleet. Compared to that chaos at least we only need to worry about the seas.”

“You talk as if the seas aren’t chaotic themselves?” The Irish warrior looked at the Portuguese poet as if he was insane.

“They are, and I ended up shipwrecked once, but the seas do not shoot cannon-fire at you. That said, I hope our journey home goes well. This is the last voyage I hope to undertake, after that I could spend the rest of my days on dry land.”

“Where is home for you?”

“Me? Portugal? Luis quickly pointed at a map. “What about you?’

“The Kingdom of Ulaid. I have no idea where it would be.” Richard still found it odd, the Irishman seemed to view Elizabeth as not his Queen.

“If I am to understand some of these maps, then far to the west of here?” Richard stated.

“Yes. We will have quite the way to go, once we get to Acapulco. Then we go by land to Veracruz. I hope it as easy as it sounds”

“We can’t get to dry land soon enough.” Cathan grumbled

"Are you sure you don't miss anything from Giapan?" Richard asked giving one last though to wonder if the dour warrior would change his tune.

"Hm, the mountains were quite the sight, and not all the food was terrible, but I hated being gawked at."

"You didn't even like that wrestling competition you and your lord participated in?" The Englishman asked.

"That was a good time, but what I am going to do with that bow or that fabric? Other than give it to my lord?"

"It would at least make for a fine story back home." Cathan did not feel reassured by the poet's words.

"Would being dragged around the world by someone who is like a friend, but a foolish one really be an interesting story?"

"Anything can be interesting, it just depends on how you tell it. Diogo would feel the same way as you. Even if we are fools, I hope the rest of the crew are not."

"God willing."

The ship had sailed off into the west, hoping to make its way back home as their journeys in Japan had come to an end..

February 19th, 1578

Bianratogan, Pagashinan Province

Hashiba Harushita stood overlooking the small but growing castle town of Bianratogan.

It felt funny to call this place home, yet it was home all the same.

'I wonder what my parents would think. I started as a lowly foot soldier, now I am the lord of faraway land?' A reminiscing smile came across Harushita's face. 'Probably that I still serve Lord Yoshimoto and rule over strange people.'

Strange was one word for the mix of Chuugokujin and Pagashinanjin and others that lived in his lands. ‘His lands’, those words felt odd to think about. He went out from home to go engage in adventure, fought for the Imagawa, then the Oda. Then advised a down on their luck Rokkaku under the Imagawa becoming a minor noble, convinced a member of the naval ministry to approve of him and his brother as agents. Became a pirate and then helped overthrow them.

There was always much to do. Defenses to go plan down south since It seemed the other lords of this land might cause trouble, and the borders weren’t defined. Then he had to keep his men in line as an actual force.

“Brother.” Harushita was stirred from his thoughts by Harunaga. “Are you okay?”

“As okay as one can be governing others. Did you meet with Hayashi?” Speaking of said pirate lord, Harushita hoped he wasn’t too angry.

“Yes, he was receptive and Agoo has thrived under his rule.”

“Receptive? That’s an interesting choice of words.”

“He’s still angry with you, and says you have sagging eyebrows.” Harushita couldn’t help but laugh.

“He thinks I’m a fool? He’s not wrong. Nothing about our mother this time?”

“No.” Harushita gave a small smile. “Although I had to threaten him over that.”

“He will forgive me one day.” Harunaga didn’t seem convinced.

“And next you will tell me this will be a nice place to live.”

“Exactly.” Harushita saw his brother roll his eyes and he could only smile. “One of us has to be optimistic here.”

“Are you sure you do not mean stupid, Harushita?”

"I don't know you are the reasonable one."

"If there's one thing you take seriously from me, at least don't work yourself too hard."

"I will. Trust me, I'll never heard the end of it, from some of 'dear' courtiers. like Pei or San Bin.

Harunaga turned to leave, but Harushita could help but give the castle town one last look. It's people called him lord, and as strange as it was, but it was home. Not just for him and his brother, but for many others. Could he at least provide for them? It was a question perhaps he couldn't answer tonight, but there was always as long he didn't give up.

June 12th, 1578

Sunpu Castle Town, Suruga Province

A group of three merchants were talking among themselves.

"Did you hear what the Kofu-maru brought back, Saburo?" The fist speaker didn't look too young or too old, but who he was speaking too looked grizzled and had a scar over his eye.

"What, Goro? I heard it went to Pagashinan, do you really expect anything valuable form these distant lands?” Saburo did not share the same sense of optimism.

“Yes, sure we’re getting these animal furs, some of their local food. This is just the start of things.” The speaker was a younger man the others knew as Tanaka

“Why should we care about these distant lands when the Imagawa have brought peace to our land? Shouldn’t that be enough?” Irritation started to creep across Saburo's face.

“Why should we be content with just goods from the rest of the land? When there is an entire world out there?" Tanaka gestured to some of the nanban goods in his stall

“Because we should be thankful for what we have, and not reach out in greed. All this talk of sending ships and men out to fight for others is just nonsense, the place for young fools to go make a name.”

“What will you talk about the Yinka princesses and bringing evil foreign ways?” Goro's remark drew no laughter.

“We are merchants, not gossips. Besides, my wife likes their fabric designs, and there might be a nice venture. Besides, you misunderstand my hesitation, the outside world isn’t evil but surely we don’t have to recklessly engage in adventures and see more young idiots dead.”

“Do you really look down on us? We are smart enough to make our choices.” The younger merchant was trying to understand his older competitor's point of view.

“And fighting when we don’t need to is a choice. I almost died against the Takeda, lost a brother fighting against the Honganji, and saw a son wounded against the Ouchi. So I apologize if I don’t see much opportunity in people choosing to go fight when we live in a time of peace.” Tanaka was too young have fought in any of the wars Saburo talked about, even if he did hear of some of them.

“Well what would you rather have them do? Become merchants like us?” Thankfully for both men this time, Goro spoke before them.

“We have enough competition just among ourselves.” Tanaka's joke got everyone laughing if only for a little while.

“I have my shop to get back to, will we still be meeting tonight?” Goro asked, being the first one to try and leave before things started to pick up.

“Sure.” Tanaka replied.

"I might, but don't think me not being there means you'll win at Karuta." Saburo warned Tanaka with a wink. "I picked it up during my soldiering days, damned Ouchi were playing it when we capture a small camp of them." [1]

The merchants turned away and walked back toward their stalls, as more and more people had come to visit what was the beating heart of a new Japan.

[1] Portuguese playing cards, were introduced to Japan via traders first being know as Karuta and too off from there.

Okay I apologize for the lack of consistency here. But to make something of an important announcement I want to make my next update the last one for this timeline, and that’s it's going to have something of a timeskip and epiloge. I honestly feel like I’ve just meandered with some of these idea’s I've had, and I really wanted to do so much. However I also think I should have kept a narrower scope, maybe even ended it after unfication, but I really wanted to much more with an 'open' Japan but also radically play around with the world as much as possible.

It doesn’t mean I hate everything I’ve written for this story, I just think maybe I should have put some of this into other works. Hell I've actually written and published some stuff that works off this timeline in the future, even the distant future. Maybe I should kept the Tensho expedition as it's own I certainly wouldn't say I've abandoned this timeline. I think I'll elaborate more for the last update. Maybe I'll leave room for a continuation, but I don't know if I can do it justice or what to really focus on.

Last edited:
Part 59: An Ending
Agoo, Paganshian Province

December 5th, 1582

The castle was recently built to overlook the newly established castle town. It was a mix of one of the smaller castles in of the lord’s homeland and some towers and a palisade in the native style, made of bamboo. At the top of the keep overlooking the village a lone figure gazed out across the growing town.

“My lands and my people it is a strange thing to think about. I almost wonder what would Mother and Father say about this. Father would probably have believed I'm just some fool whose cleverness has put him into situations he couldn't account for.” Harushita laughed

“Here you are off ruling a bunch of strangers and Pirates although at least you have your brother to keep you from being too much of a fool.” Hatushita said in imitation of his father

“Mother would have probably agreed, even if we did not share the same father.”’ It was his brother Harunaga.

“We at least managed to care for them back in Izu.”

“Do you think they would approve of who we married?

“That is a hard one. You are a Lord of a province and I have a small plot of land as your second in command. You married a serving girl and I married a farmer's daughter. I believe they would say your wife has married down and that I have married just fine.” Harunaga grinned and Harushita returned one of his own.

“You sound like her too, I suppose you will keep warning me not to get into trouble.”

“Someone must.”

“Heh, I haven’t caused you enough grief?” A serious look appeared on the usually jovial man’s face.

“No, at not least grief that I cannot bear, even if your schemes have taken us places that involve going across the sea. I could die happy if I never have to get on a boat again or hold people hostage.”

Harushita’s smile returned “I supposed I can always send Hayashi out by sea to Sunpu, he has talked about feeling restless when not at sea.”
The Hashiba brothers continued to look over the town as the sun was beginning to set.

Amsterdam, Grand Duchy of the Netherlands

March 8th, 1583

In a tavern near one of the docks of Amsterdam, two men were sitting at a table.

“So how did ya voyage out east go? Samuel” It was a gruffly accented Dutch Samuel knew all too well, a language he picked up out of interest.

“To the Kingdom of the Zwedeen and the King of Rus Land? Fine Andreas. I get why the king would want us to trade with the people of his father's Kingdom. But all the way East to the Rus?”

Andreas for his part only shook his head as gestured for someone to serve them something to drink.

“There are few places you can’t make coin from. At least you don’t deal with those fools from the far west.”

“I thought You said you could earn coin anywhere? Are not the lands west of here rich in gold and silver?” Samuel’s words were met with a nod by Andreas.

“They are, but some people want to convince the King otherwise as if he doesn’t have enough of a reason to rival his father.”

“I’d hope not, I'd rather not see you dead by some fool’s venture. even if that means you keep beating me at Paus Julius, and I taught you the damn game.” Andreas only grinned, before an usually curious look appeared on his face. [1]

“Do you think anything will happen with King Hendrik in France?” [2]

“That he and my King Gus, go to war over some foolish thing? I can only pray, If I wanted to be a pirate I’d have visited the lands of the Turken. Although I heard a rumor that King Hendrik of Polen, has enemies in Leituwos, who are looking to their old enemies in the Rus for support.” [3]

“So as long as they don’t my way of life, I could care less.” Andreas had brought out a deck of cards. “Now are you ready to lose again?”

I have a feeling that I'm lucky this time.” Samuel had a smile of his own as both men started to play Paus Julius.

Sunpu Palace, Suruga Province

June 13th, 1583

Imagawa Ujizane had looked at his father with shock. Yoshimoto’s face was aged with mostly gray hairs

“Father, are you sure about this?” The worry did not leave his face

“Why would I not be, I do not want to rule for the rest of my life. You have taken on enough of my duties as of late as it stands. I would like to formally retire from the position of Shogun, do you feel you are not ready?.”

“No, but I now have to teach my sons some of the duties they are going to step into.” Yoshimoto gave a nod.

“Ujinobu Seems well-behaved I cannot say the same of Yoshizane.”

They are still young and Ujinobu does look out for his younger brother.” a warm smile appeared on Yoshimoto's face, but Ujizane only frowned.

“Now you see why I want to retire. The land has been at peace for some time and I would like to enjoy it.” The old shogun gave a small chuckle. “Do you believe I am forcing some burden on you?”

“No, it is just Things are changing quickly I thought when we took Kyoto that the nation would be united eventually but that we would not have to worry about the wider world or at least get ourselves involved.” Ujizane’s frown only deepened. “Now others come to our shores to trade, armed men from our lands find themselves fighting for coin in distant lands, and we have sought new lands. It is not a situation I expected to be in when I was to take over the clan, to say nothing of being Shogun”

“I did not expect this situation either, but ruling the nation is a more complicated problem than one expects. Although you at least had my example and struggles to learn from.” Yoshimoto’s words seemed to do little to reassure his son.

“I do not know if we can truly trust the likes of the Matsumae, the Hashiba, or even the Kankabatoku and Tandaya Clans?” [4]

“We cannot do much other than accept them and the overseas inspectors at their words, but that could become similar to the most distant and problematic regions of the land should not be lost to us. You are only one person, you need to have a little bit more trust in your advisors”

“That seems a difficult task when each regional representative seems only interested in empowering their clan. I do not believe they won’t move against us.”

“Then it is something to consider. As you are now to be the Shogun.”

“I cannot say I did not expect this once you became Shogun. I hope I can live up to your example.” Ujizane gave a small smle

“If your reign does not see you spill blood Then you will have already surpassed it, but I don’t want to retire just yet, we can wait a week.”

With the Sun shining in a clear sky the reign of Imagawa Yoshimoto was to come to an end.

[1] Paus Juliius or Pope Julius is the name of an English card game

[2] This Henry is an ATL Henry III who is the son of Francis II.

[3] by this point in time Elizabeth is dead so are the Tudors and it's now the start of the Vasa Kings of England Gus in this case is the nickname of Gustav among the English. Henry of Poland, in this case, is OTL Henry III who was king of Poland before inheriting the throne of France, however now he's just king of Poland as Lithuania Remains under a surviving by a thread House of jaggolión

[4] While the Matsumae and Hashiba should be self-evident, Kankabatoku and Tanadaya clans Are Clans based on the alternate names of Leyte and Samar. Kankabatoku being based on an original name for Tacloban, Kankabatok, and Tanadaya is based on a mistaken name of what would be Samar from the Spanish.

All four of these Clans essentially have the same status which is the status of the OTL Matsuemae they don’t send representatives but instead pay special taxes.

Well, this is going to be my last update for this timeline and I would like to consider it completed. I feel it's not exactly as grand as an ending should be but I'm glad I can say I feel fine enough to end it here. Ultimately I believe I should have ended it much sooner. However, I don't consider what happens after reunification to be too much of a wash.

In fact, I've used some of the ideas I've workshopped here into other writing prompts and even published at least two short stories based on this timeline. I also had some plans I definitely want to continue with somewhere down the line So while I want to consider this the end of this timeline or at least this version of A Storm Over Okehazama is far from dead to me in my mind.

to everyone who has read this timeline both old readers and new ones, I want to say at least two things thank you and I'm sorry. In terms of an apology I kind of feel like I've taken my readers for granted especially as I've started to update this TL less and less, especially when I've done no small shortage of writing elsewhere. As for thank yous, I feel that in a genre such as AH a lot of stories that don't deal with Europe in the Americas or if we are being honest just the US and maybe Canada if you are lucky don't get enough love. I'm thankful that there are people out there who cared about the story I wanted to tell even if I feel I could have always done better.

Last edited:
Okay, one last update I want to do is some maps if I can will myself past the need to be perfect, but I'm also deeply annoyed. I find myself actually wanting to write out more and more things even if they might be relatively minor or self-contained, for example, Christopher Marlow writing about the short life and death of Oda Nobunaga. I think I'm going to make a new thread for that as something of an interquel if I can get it organized or it might be I guess a collection of one-shots.