A Rising Sun on Tropical Seas (a story from a Battle at Dawn)

A Rising Sun on Tropical Seas: The Japanese Invasion of the East Indies 1942

In January 1942 the Japanese have already started their invasion of Malaya and the Philippines, secured Siam, and already have invaded and secured in the face of minimal resistance Sarawak and Brunei (and their critically important oilfields). The Japanese have conquered Shanghai, Hong Kong, Wake Island, and have fought a series of battles with the US Navy in the Hawaiian Islands that has left the American fleet crippled for weeks to come.

Now the critical campaign begins to seize the main prize, the Dutch oil fields of the East Indies.

Facing the Japanese onslaught is a multinational command of American, British, Dutch, Australian, and Portuguese colonial and national forces with limited air power, troops and generals of uneven quality, and a disparate naval force pulled together based more on what was available than needed.

For the British and Dutch, they are already overstretched, and the British are fighting for their survival in the Mediterranean and at home, while the Dutch are in exile from their homeland, already facing its second year of occupation. The Americans and British have already lost most of their air power and while strong efforts are being made to send reinforcements for now the Allies must fight with what they have.

Allied Forces Southeast Asia – ABDA Command (American, British, Dutch, Australian Command)
Supreme Commander ABDA – Field Marshal Archibald Wavell
created January 1, 1942 at the behest of Winston Churchill and approval of Franklin Roosevelt

Major commands
Malaya – Lieutenant General Percival (British Army)
Dutch East Indies – Admiral Conrad Helfrich (Dutch Navy)
Philippines – General Eisenhower (US Army)
Burma – Major General Ian Playfair (British Army)
North Australia – Major General David Blake (Australian Army)
US Army Australia – Lieutenant General George Brett (US Army Air Force)
ABDAFLOAT – Admiral Tom Phillips (Royal Navy)

this is part 3 of the ongoing series of the stories on the Pacific War

https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...rt-1-the-shoestring-warriors-of-luzon.409504/

https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...d-states-and-japan-december-7-10-1941.404816/

Instead of trying to shove everything happening at once that affects the Philippines (and Eisenhower as well) into one story it will be broken up into additional stories. Historically once the Americans retreated to Bataan they had little influence on events further south aside from drawing off forces needed.

Japanese Operations December 1941 Southeast Asia
japanese operations december 1941.jpg
map courtesy of the US Military Academy
http://www.westpoint.edu/history/SitePages/WWII Asian Pacific Theater.aspx

a link to a really awesome detailed map way to big to fit in this forum

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/images2/seasia1901map.jpg

note that the Japanese invasion of Davao has not yet occurred

Last edited:
Cool start. Shame that Wake Island still falls ITTL, but I can understand why. What is worse is that Percival is in charge if Malaya. That is a disaster and a half for the UK and the Commonwealth. Hopefully more troops will be able to to evacuated to Burma and parts of the DEI and not be taken prisoner.

I do not recognize some of the names of the other area commanders. Can anyone give a quick breakdown on what they did IOTL and their reputations?

I'm sure this will be as great as the rest of your timelines.

GB is off to a good start and I await any new surprises that the Allies can throw at the Japanese. Each new ship, sub, and transport crippled and sunk just adds a new pin in Japanese map of delays and lost opportunities.

So all three of these timelines are part of the same larger timeline, @galveston bay?

They're all outstandingly done, extremely well researched. The only thing that throws me off is that they assume multiple points of departure - Knox's decision to lean hard on Richardson to behave himself talking to FDR, MacArthur's fatal accident, etc. I find single POD timelines just....more compelling. It feels less like loading the dice.

So all three of these timelines are part of the same larger timeline, @galveston bay?

They're all outstandingly done, extremely well researched. The only thing that throws me off is that they assume multiple points of departure - Knox's decision to lean hard on Richardson to behave himself talking to FDR, MacArthur's fatal accident, etc. I find single POD timelines just....more compelling. It feels less like loading the dice.

No Macarthur means that Knox has more incentive to keep an experienced man (Richardson) in the Pacific as there is no one of Macarthur's stature (after all a former Chief of Staff) and FDR has more incentive to keep Richardson as well.

No Macarthur means that Knox has more incentive to keep an experienced man (Richardson) in the Pacific as there is no one of Macarthur's stature (after all a former Chief of Staff) and FDR has more incentive to keep Richardson as well.

Oh, I see. You're positing Knox's behavior as a direct butterfly of MacArthur's disappearance from the scene.

Cool start. Shame that Wake Island still falls ITTL, but I can understand why. What is worse is that Percival is in charge if Malaya. That is a disaster and a half for the UK and the Commonwealth. Hopefully more troops will be able to to evacuated to Burma and parts of the DEI and not be taken prisoner.

I do not recognize some of the names of the other area commanders. Can anyone give a quick breakdown on what they did IOTL and their reputations?

Helfrich was one of the senior Dutch navy commanders in the DEI. OTL he earned the name "Ship a Day Helfrich" for his effective role running the submarine war. In my TL he is serving under Somerville as Commander Submarines Eastern Fleet and Chief of Staff (ashore) to Commander Eastern Fleet.

Portuguese Timor and Macau were both occupied by the Japanese in World War 2 and indeed a lengthy campaign resulted in Portuguese Timor involving Japanese, Dutch, Portuguese and Australian troops
I did know of Portuguese Timor occupied, but I thought Portugal, after making a formal complaint, remained neutral and kept from active participation.

Helfrich was one of the senior Dutch navy commanders in the DEI. OTL he earned the name "Ship a Day Helfrich" for his effective role running the submarine war. In my TL he is serving under Somerville as Commander Submarines Eastern Fleet and Chief of Staff (ashore) to Commander Eastern Fleet.

and technically senior Dutch officer present, so even though a Dutch general actually commands in the DEI, Helfrich ultimately is the man in charge

Why was Percival such as disaster in Malaya, if I may ask?

I assume he did something very wrong with the whole defensive operation.

Thank you and GB for the extra background on Helfrich. I had forgotten his connection in your timeline ZH. For some stupid reason I had Doormann as the senior Dutch commander. I freely admit my own mistake.

Well these groups of commanders will be the ones to try to stop Japan in the DEI, SEA, and the Indian Ocean. With the changes at Pearl Harbor and The Philippines, and the losses there abouts, the Allies may be able to stop some of Japans quick gains and solidify some defence lines.