A question regarding AH Chinese logistics

Hi everyone!

My general interest falls into military history and equipment, and my main focus is the Second Sino-Japanese War. I've been wondering about this scenario for some time now, and hope that others can help answer it.

Say that the Burma Road was kept open in an AH scenario, and the Hump was also created as an additional means of supply.

If these two routes remained open, which would be easier to achieve: supplying the Chinese mainly with American weapons and Allied uniforms, or simply letting China continue producing its own material for small arms, but providing them with American artillery, anti-tank weapons and some Allied supplies?

For the former, an issue is China becoming reliant on deliveries of .30-06 ammo, rather than their own production of 7.92x57mm Mauser rounds.

Another thing to remember is that the Chinese theater was the most remote from America itself, and that any lend-lease would still have to be shipped to Indian ports over long periods of time, prior to being delivered by the road or airlifted.

The outcome of both scenarios would be pretty different, too. The first would have most of the Chinese army equipped along the lines of the New 1st Army under General Sun Li-jen, to use an OTL example. The latter would have them looking the same, but with considerably better fire support, Thompson submachine guns, bazookas and other equipment.

I'd be very happy if anyone who's studied the war in sufficient depth can help out, as I've been agonizing over this for months now.

Last edited: