A Queen Twice Over: Mary Tudor the Elder Marries Francis I of France

From moral standpoint? Yeah. But I don't think for example Machiavelli (and he lived in the era we're talking about) would hestitate to do exactly that if it benefited the state.

Didn't Diane literally push Henry to sleep with his own wife? That's very different situation than whatever Isabelle tries to do.
You need at least a fig leaf of justice to cover what you do, if you don't want to set a very dangerous precedent and get branded a tyrant. But François more than has that now. But yes, Diane was far kinder to Catherine, both OTL and TTL, than Isabella has ever been to Marie.

You need at least a fig leaf of justice to cover what you do, if you don't want to set a very dangerous precedent and get branded a tyrant. But François more than has that now. But yes, Diane was far kinder to Catherine, both OTL and TTL, than Isabella has ever been to Marie.

Tho if you don't admit that you did it, you don't need that fig. You can just lie that you didn't do it and gaslight everyone who thinks otherwise.

Tho if you don't admit that you did it, you don't need that fig. You can just lie that you didn't do it and gaslight everyone who thinks otherwise.
Look at Richard III and the Princes. Hell, look at Henry VII and the Princes. They need them dead, but if they order their deaths, they're branded kinslayers and tyrants. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. I'm not putting François through that with his half-siblings' mother. Hence why we're going the route we are.

See, I like @Zygmunt Stary - they agree with me. Sometimes murder is the solution. But I like what we've got planned much more, so I'll let you off this time.

Well, I don't think it's bad it didn't happen, but I simply point out that the situation here is Isabelle's/mercy granted to her fault, she got more mercy than most of contemporary monarchs would grant her, Henry VIII, Ivan the Terrible or Philip II (OTL) would all probably kill her without second thought had they been in Francois's place.

Look at Richard III and the Princes. Hell, look at Henry VII and the Princes. They need them dead, but if they order their deaths, they're branded kinslayers and tyrants. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. I'm not putting François through that with his half-siblings' mother. Hence why we're going the route we are.

Once again, I don't blame you for doing choices you did, it's your story and it's great either way, I just saw isabella's comment and it painted Isabelle like a victim, which she was not.
Maybe I exaggerated (tho it happens often, and I hope I didn't break any rules, did I?) but the point is to show that Isabelle was treated fairly well up until that point. And I would not say things are Marie's fault, what she should do, let herself be walked over by some mistress?

Well, I don't think it's bad it didn't happen, but I simply point out that the situation here is Isabelle's/mercy granted to her fault, she got more mercy than most of contemporary monarchs would grant her, Henry VIII, Ivan the Terrible or Philip II (OTL) would all probably kill her without second thought had they been in Francois's place.

Once again, I don't blame you for doing choices you did, it's your story and it's great either way, I just saw isabella's comment and it painted Isabelle like a victim, which she was not.
Maybe I exaggerated (tho it happens often, and I hope I didn't break any rules, did I?) but the point is to show that Isabelle was treated fairly well up until that point. And I would not say things are Marie's fault, what she should do, let herself be walked over by some mistress?
Thanks :) And no, Marie shouldn't let herself be walked over, but neither should she have walked away, at least not for as long as she did, if she didn't want at least *some* consequences!

Thanks :) And no, Marie shouldn't let herself be walked over, but neither should she have walked away, at least not for as long as she did, if she didn't want at least *some* consequences!

Well, I think if anyone had right to impose consequences on her it was king Francis, not his mistress.
And I don't think Marie is completely blameless, just that Isabelle shares the fair share of fault for this situation, and biggest one.
If she appreciated Francois mercy, she would advise Jean against standing up against his brother and it's quite likely she'd get her kids back.

Well, I think if anyone had right to impose consequences on her it was king Francis, not his mistress.
And I don't think Marie is completely blameless, just that Isabelle shares the fair share of fault for this situation, and biggest one.
If she appreciated Francois mercy, she would advise Jean against standing up against his brother and it's quite likely she'd get her kids back.
Well, Marie is a Tudor. Making things easy and blameless is not the Tudor way. But, yes, Isabella isn't blameless either...

Certainly for the most recent developments, I agree. :)
Well, Marie is a Tudor. Making things easy and blameless is not the Tudor way. But, yes, Isabella isn't blameless either...
Ain't that the truth!!

Section CXXX: March 1536
Rotterdam, March 1536

Charles blinks slightly at Chapuys’ missive, written from Bordeaux, where he has sent him to see if there are any truth in the rumours that are swirling Christendom, that Lord Milan has joined forces with the Duke of Nemours and Henri of Navarre to rise against his brother King François.

Charles hadn’t really intended to lay any credit in them. After all, even at only thirteen, Lord Milan must have learnt enough of politics to know that his Duchy requires his brother’s support if it is to survive as any kind of an independent state. But there is no mistaking these words. There they are in black and white.

Accompanied by Lord Nemours and Lady Valentinois, Lord and Lady Milan have landed in Beziers and travelled to Narbonne, where they have joined forces with the city’s Archbishop and the would be King of Navarre. They are now preparing to march north at the head of 8500 men.

Despite himself, Charles’s heart leaps as his swift mind makes some startling, but delightful, leaps.

Lord Milan won’t have brought his entire garrison. That many men would be too cumbersome to transport, and besides, Monsieur De La Marck wouldn’t let him leave Milan completely undefended. But even if the bulk of his forces are being supplied by Lord Nemours and His Grace of Narbonne, he must have brought a couple of thousand with him. His honour and his status as a royal Duke will have demanded no less.

Therefore, there are necessarily a couple of thousand seasoned fighters currently not defending Milan.

And King François will need his men in France this spring. He’ll be too busy dealing with his brother’s uprising to send any replacements. This is a golden opportunity for Charles to regain his family’s lost foothold in Italy, one which may never come again.

Controlling his emotions with a chokehold grip, Charles reads the letter over one more time, just to be sure there is no mistake – that he hasn’t seen what he wanted to see, rather than what was actually there.

When the words don’t change on a second reading, he jumps to his feet, wrenches open the door of his private chamber and bellows at the nearest page, “Fetch Lord Pescara! Immediately! I have grave military matters to discuss with him!”

Really hoping the French can keep Milan under their control here or else Francis sacrifice will be for nothing. Damm it Jean! And Damm you even harder Isabella!

Really hoping the French can keep Milan under their control here or else Francis sacrifice will be for nothing. Damm it Jean! And Damm you even harder Isabella!
i mean, francis died fighting in the north, against the english, but yeah, francis jr is not gonna be happy if his brother's tantrum with an army results in the french losing milan