A Queen Twice Over: Mary Tudor the Elder Marries Francis I of France

Section CXXVII - October 1535
  • Falkland, October 1535

“I’m always struck by how healthy Lord Robert and Lady Margaret seem, Sister. Given they were eight-month babies, you must be caring for them extremely well. Your selflessness is astounding.”

The unspoken ‘They can’t have inherited your constitution’ hangs in the air as Louise’s voice rings out across the Great Hall. Her words silence the chattering courtiers. Every eye flicks to Mary, awaiting her reaction with bated breath.

Fifteen months after the cousin-sisters-in-law first met, their relationship is no less catty than it was all that time ago. The only difference is that, now that Mary has recovered her strength more fully, she is more than willing to go toe-to-toe with Louise if need be. The courtiers delight in placing bets as to which of the young royals will win each particular spat. It is never easy to guess, for, while Louise holds her husband’s heart in the palm of her hand, Mary is four years older and the mother of the second-in-line to the throne. Both these things give her quite a bit of leverage over the young Queen.

Tonight is no exception. Swathed in a heavy riding cloak of royal blue wool, the nineteen-year-old Duchess pauses to set her twenty-month-old son gently on the floor before dipping Louise a curtsy that flirts with insolence in its brevity.

“If I have given Bobby and Maggie the best of myself, then I have done so gladly, Your Grace. I thank God every day that they are so happy and healthy. As should we all. After all, they are Scotland’s future.”

Mary lets her eyes trail across her younger cousin’s trim figure as she speaks. She does so pointedly slowly, and Louise feels herself flush scarlet with rage and embarrassment.

Oh, she knows she should be grateful for the fact that Jamie is being considerate of her youth, that he is sating his carnal urges with mistresses, rather than risk her health, but just then, sitting face-to-face with Mary and her sturdy little son, it is hard to remember that. Particularly given Jamie isn’t actually here to dote on her, as he usually is when the Rosses are at Court. The Bethune hussy has just given him another daughter, and so he has gone to see to them, leaving Louise to deal with her relations by marriage alone for once.

Pulled from her musings by a tug on her skirts, Louise looks down. Little Lord Robert is pulling at her red brocade gown, fascinated by the feel of the rich material between his fingers.

For a moment, Louise does nothing but watch him. She can’t help herself. Though she’d never admit it, her maternal urges are in full bore, and she’s enthralled by Robert’s tiny pudgy hands and the way the candle light plays on his thick fair hair.

Just two more months. She’ll be fifteen in just two more months. Jamie will surely come to her bed when she’s fifteen. God Willing, she’ll have inherited her mother’s fertility and then she’ll have a son within the year. She’ll have a son to match Robert, and then this little boy will be no more than a future Duke. A royal Duke, true, but still. A Duke, not a Prince.

A stronger tug at her gown startles Louise out of her musings again. Robert has tired of simply stroking her skirts and has started mouthing on the seed pearls encrusting her hem.

Louise shakes herself. Why is she indulging Robert like this? He’s not her son!

She scoffs, more at herself than anything, and flicks her skirts sharply out of the toddler’s grip.

Robert’s eyes go wide. His little face falls. He sucks in a breath, preparing to wail his lungs out indignantly, when Mary intervenes.

“Bobby. Come here. Come to Mama.”

Distracted from his brewing fury, little Robert turns his head towards his mother’s voice, his face lighting up as he sees her.

Mary is crouched down a few steps from the dais, arms outstretched temptingly.

“That’s it, Bobby. Good boy. Come to Mama. Come to Mama,” she coaxes, and Robert jumps up.

He runs over, eyes sparkling with glee.

“Mama!”

Mary laughs and tosses him lightly in the air so that he squeals delightedly.

As much as she is seeking to please her son, however, the move is also a calculated one, for as she raises her arms to toss Bobby high in the air, her royal blue cloak falls open.

Falls open to reveal a stomacher that is laced ever so slightly broader than it should naturally be.

A ripple of gasps go through the room as the cleverer courtiers realise what Mary is hinting at.

The nineteen-year-old Duchess turns to her younger cousin and smirks.

Section CXXVIII: October 1535
  • Leeds Castle, October 1535

“My nephew has sent Cecily a new governess! The audacity! Are there no Englishwomen capable of raising the future Duchess of Burgundy? Or does Charles think his second son is more important than the future Duke of Savoy? Because the Savoyards had no complaints of Lillibet, nor Lady Bryan’s raising of her. Why should Cecily and Lady Troy be any different?!”

Henry is grumbling, stalking through Diane’s rooms like he used to do, years ago, when she, not Catherine, was his unchallenged favourite.

She sighs. Mencia de Mendoza’s arrival isn’t the real problem, she knows. The bad weather is, for it’s keeping Henry indoors, when all he really wants to do is hunt and hawk in the beautiful Kentish countryside. Like any natural sportsman, he’s frustrated beyond measure at not being able to do what he loves, and poor Mencia de Mendoza just happens to have provided a perfect target for him to unleash his anger upon.

Mind, at least he came to Diane’s rooms to rant and not Catherine’s. That’s something. Her young cousin is tired enough by the rigours of pregnancy without having to deal with Henry’s temper too.

“Charles won’t have meant it as a slight,” she soothes, rubbing Henry’s shoulders as he finally collapses into a chair, “Not to you, not to Lady Bryan, or to Lady Willoughby or Lady Troy. I’m sure he and Empress Marguerite only want to help ensure Cecily grows up to be the best Duchess of Burgundy she can be. Surely you can see that? After all, your sister sent me over to oversee Mary’s education, didn’t she? To make sure she was raised as a French Duchess ought to be? You didn’t have a problem with me, so why is Doña Mencia any different?”

“No…” Henry hesitates, the word hovering between them, “But I trusted my sister. I knew she’d never pick a woman who could do me any harm. But I don’t trust Charles or Marguerite. Not in the same way.”

“No one’s saying you have to. But, at the same time, do you really have grounds to refuse Doña Mencia any involvement in Cecily’s upbringing, especially given how happy we were together?”

“Lady Willoughby is Spanish. So is Katherine. They could easily prepare Cecily for life as a Hapsburg,” Henry protests, but his words are weak and he knows it. Diane arches an eyebrow.

“Neither Lady Willoughby nor the Princess Dowager has set foot in Spain in over thirty years. And neither of them has ever been to the Low Countries, unlike Doña Mencia. No, Henry. She has to stay. And you know it. Besides, Lady Troy will probably be glad of the help. Cecily can be a handful when she wants to be, and Lady Willoughby is going to have to start preparing Lillibet to leave for Savoy before too much longer. Not to mention that Lady Bryan will have her hands full in the New Year, once our little Duke of York makes an appearance.”

It is the perfect note to hit. Henry’s shoulders soften at the mention of Catherine’s upcoming child, and Diane takes advantage of it to presume upon their former intimacy far enough to drop a light, chaste, kiss upon his thinning auburn hair.

He allows the liberty, but she knows he won’t let her push him much further. Not any more, anyway. She walks quickly round to kneel in front of him, taking his hand in hers.

“All this talk of Cecily’s future is making me think of the boys. Diana’s too young for any betrothal yet, and of course Peggy is already promised to Harry Brandon, but Ned’s growing fast, and Tom isn’t far behind him. They’re both going to need Countesses far sooner than we would like. I’ve had some thoughts as to who I’d like to see them matched to, but I want your permission before I approach the girls’ families.”

It is Henry’s turn to raise an eyebrow sardonically, “I let you loose on the marriage market of Europe to find me a Queen, darling, and you did a sterling job of that. Do you really think I’d quibble about your choices for our sons’ Countesses? But very well. If it will set your mind at ease, tell me.”

Diane returns his wry smile with one of her own, and hums, pretending to think, “Ned might be Earl of Kendal now, but his lands are going to be Midlands-based one day, when he takes the Warwick title from me. He needs a marriage alliance that reflects that. Your cousin Lord Worcester has a daughter almost exactly his age, Lady Lucy, so I was considering her. Or perhaps Cecily’s companion, Lady Anne. She’s only a few years younger than him, and her father’s earldom is a strategically important one, even if it is a fairly new one. Not to mention that the two of them already know each other, what with the children’s households mingling all the time, so Ned wouldn’t be marrying a stranger. Why, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they might even grow to be fond of each other before they got married, and well, that’s not to be sniffed at. Have you a preference?”

“Not particularly,” Henry shrugs, “I suppose I’d want to see the Beauforts rewarded for their long loyalty to my family, so that would speak for the Worcester match, but I do see what you’re saying about the importance of fostering affection between the children if we possibly can. Perhaps we could write to Lord Worcester and invite him to send Lady Lucy to Hunsdon? Then eventually, we let Ned choose between the two? Either match is as good as the other, really. Now, what about Tom?”

“Lady Elizabeth Stanley,” Diane replies immediately, “He’s Earl of Richmond, he needs a northern bride, and no one with any sense would dare deny that the Stanleys have the pulse of Lancashire and Cheshire firmly in their grip.”

There is a note of such resolution in Diane’s voice that Henry knows his former sweetheart won’t be gainsaid. Not that he has any intention of doing so.

“Hal and Peggy in the South, Ned in the Midlands, his new brother in Catherine’s lands in France and Tom in the North. If we can contrive to send Diana to Ireland, Edward will have a sibling to bolster him in every part of his realm. Not many a King is so lucky.”

There is a wistful note in Henry’s voice, and Diane, with an alertness born of long practice, knows that his frustration has ebbed away, to be replaced by a sentimentality that is very much at risk of turning maudlin. She needs to jockey him out of it, and quickly.

As such, she swiftly changes her planned jab at his confidence that Catherine’s next child will be a boy into a light-hearted chuckle about Diana’s future, “I’ll see what I can do!”

Then, before Henry can reply, she reaches behind her for a pack of cards, beckoning to two of her ladies to join them as she does so.

“I think a round or two of Noddy is in order, don’t you? Shall we play together, Henry, or would you rather partner Jane while I play with Honor?”

Thus cornered, Henry laughs wryly and takes the pack from her.

“With you, of course,” he snorts, “We know each other so well, we’ll wipe the floor with them.”

So saying, he shifts round to make room for Honor and Jane to join them, cuts the pack, and, within moments, the game is underway.

Last edited:
    Section CXXIX: October 1535
  • Milan, October 1535

Bella hates Milan. Oh, she’s loth to admit it, even to herself, because she knows how much her marriage means to her mother. She knows how much her mother schemed with Monsieur de Breze and Vicomte de Lautrec to bring it about, and how relieved she was when the change of power in France and Jean’s subsequent falling-out with his brother, didn’t affect Bella’s future, at least not materially.

Indeed, that was why her lady mother sent Bella to Milan this summer, even though she and Jean are only married by proxy and he won’t be able to consummate their marriage for at least another nine months. She didn’t want anything else to possibly stand in the way of Bella’s becoming Duchess of Milan.

Bella knows all that, and at sixteen, she’s more than old enough to understand the importance of her marriage.

Which is why she would never, in a million years, let on to her mother how unhappy she is.

But really! How is she meant to bear this, in the long term? Her husband is nothing but a silly little boy, one spoiled rotten by his own ducal power, and who will do anything to please his beloved Mama Isabelle. Madame de Valentinois is the only one Jean listens to, and he can’t make a single decision without consulting her, not even something as simple as what to have for breakfast.

Marriage is difficult enough when there are only two people involved. Bella’s own parents were proof of that. So how are she and Jean ever supposed to reach any kind of accord, when Madame de Valentinois refuses to cut him loose from her apron strings?

Why, she is sitting beside him even now, her hand resting possessively on the arm of his throne as they listen to the petitioner, a grizzled, weather-beaten old soldier. How dare she? Bella ought to be sitting there, not her.

Growling softly under her breath, Bella tunes back into the conversation, just in time to hear Madame de Valentinois say, “Oh, but Jean, darling, don’t you remember me talking about this just the other week? Lord Nemours is right. Your father would want you to go to Paris and persuade your brother to invade Boulogne. He died defending it. His ghost must be crying out for vengeance, and it’s only right that you should help. You were his favourite son, and you’re old enough to fight now.”

Bella’s heart sinks. She knows what they are talking about. Madame de Valentinois has been talking of nothing but Lord Nemours’ planned uprising ever since her brother’s coded letter arrived a month ago.

Can the Duchess not see how dangerous it is? Can she not see that, if Jean rises against his brother, he’ll tear France in two? More than that, he’ll shatter any remaining fraternal trust his older brother may still have in him. And if Jean doesn’t have King François’s support, he’ll never be able to resist the Emperor’s designs on Milan.

To Bella’s relief, Jean bites the inside of his cheek, “Papa might want me to push for Boulogne, but he wouldn’t want me to rise against François. He was always insistent that it was crucial for family to be loyal to one another. It’s why my Lady Mother’s abandonment of us all hurt him so much.”

“His Majesty was right,” the petitioner – Lord Nemours – agrees unctuously, “And Your Grace is right to remember it and to be cautious about what I am asking of you. But Your Grace wouldn’t be betraying King François, merely seeking to remove His Majesty’s evil councillors. The men and women who are turning a blind eye and letting him squander France’s precious resources on exploring the New World rather than recouping her territorial integrity. And your father would understand that. After all, as Madame de Valentinois says, His Majesty died defending Boulogne. That makes it clear where his priorities lay, surely?”

“He did…” Jean’s voice trails off, and Madame de Valentinois seizes her chance, pouncing on the boy’s hesitation.

“Besides, Jean, you can hardly pretend your brother has been a shining example of fraternal or familial loyalty himself, can you? He refused to call you back to France for either your father’s month mind or his coronation. He’s withheld my rightful income as Duchess of Valentinois from me, even though your father clearly intended those lands to be mine, and Gaston’s, in the event of his death. He’s kept my children from me, depriving them of a mother’s tenderness when they’re even younger than you were back in 1528. You know how much pain that sort of thing causes, how the grief aches and festers. Are you really going to stand by and do nothing, when it’s well within your power to relieve Gaston and Magdalena’s suffering?”

It is all she needs to say. Jean’s face softens, and he turns in his chair to kiss Isabella’s cheek.

“Of course I won’t, Mama Isabelle. Returning Gaston and Magdalena to you is the first thing I’ll do once I’m ensconced in Paris. And the second thing I’ll do is order troops to Pamplona to help your brother take back his crown. Then we’ll see about Boulogne.”

Lord Nemours looks sick as he realises Jean is only going along with his plan because it means he can enrich Madame de Valentinois and her family, and Bella doesn’t blame him. She feels just as ill, albeit for rather different reasons.

Jean is nearly fourteen. Surely he’s old enough now not to let his former maternal figure to play him so? Can’t he see that, as he melts like putty in Lady Isabella’s skilled hands, he’s putting his own patrimony at risk? Risking Bella’s rightful inheritance? They won’t be able to defend Milan, not without French support. And certainly not if they’re halfway to Paris when the Emperor attacks.

Half of Bella wants to cry out in horror at the colossal error Jean is making, but she doesn’t. It won’t do any good. She knows that. Jean never changes his mind once he’s made it up, and besides, he only ever listens to Madame de Valentinois anyway. No one else matters. Not to him.

For a moment, Bella has a wild thought: I could volunteer to stay behind as Regent, rather than Monsieur de La Marck.”

She dismisses the notion as soon as think of it, however. She might be Jean’s wife, but at this point, she’d probably do more harm than good. She just doesn’t know Milan the way he does. She simply hasn’t been in Italy long enough. And besides, she needs to be with Jean. If she’s to give Milan an heir with Sforza blood, the way her lady mother wants her to, if she’s not to lose Jean to Madame de Valentinois’s clutches even more than she already has, then she needs to be with him. She needs to be at his side and in his mind, even if only through sheer proximity.

Sighing, Bella slips from the Great Hall, beckoning to her favourite maid, Olenka, as she does so. She can’t bear to be in that disaster zone a moment longer.

No one even notices her go.

Last edited:
    Section CXXX: March 1536
  • Rotterdam, March 1536

Charles blinks slightly at Chapuys’ missive, written from Bordeaux, where he has sent him to see if there are any truth in the rumours that are swirling Christendom, that Lord Milan has joined forces with the Duke of Nemours and Henri of Navarre to rise against his brother King François.

Charles hadn’t really intended to lay any credit in them. After all, even at only thirteen, Lord Milan must have learnt enough of politics to know that his Duchy requires his brother’s support if it is to survive as any kind of an independent state. But there is no mistaking these words. There they are in black and white.

Accompanied by Lord Nemours and Lady Valentinois, Lord and Lady Milan have landed in Beziers and travelled to Narbonne, where they have joined forces with the city’s Archbishop and the would be King of Navarre. They are now preparing to march north at the head of 8500 men.

Despite himself, Charles’s heart leaps as his swift mind makes some startling, but delightful, leaps.

Lord Milan won’t have brought his entire garrison. That many men would be too cumbersome to transport, and besides, Monsieur De La Marck wouldn’t let him leave Milan completely undefended. But even if the bulk of his forces are being supplied by Lord Nemours and His Grace of Narbonne, he must have brought a couple of thousand with him. His honour and his status as a royal Duke will have demanded no less.

Therefore, there are necessarily a couple of thousand seasoned fighters currently not defending Milan.

And King François will need his men in France this spring. He’ll be too busy dealing with his brother’s uprising to send any replacements. This is a golden opportunity for Charles to regain his family’s lost foothold in Italy, one which may never come again.

Controlling his emotions with a chokehold grip, Charles reads the letter over one more time, just to be sure there is no mistake – that he hasn’t seen what he wanted to see, rather than what was actually there.

When the words don’t change on a second reading, he jumps to his feet, wrenches open the door of his private chamber and bellows at the nearest page, “Fetch Lord Pescara! Immediately! I have grave military matters to discuss with him!”

Section CXXXI: April 1536
  • Sarzeau, April 1536

They are dancing when the news comes. It had been Renee’s idea to come back to Brittany for François’s nineteenth birthday, to come back to the Chateau d’Suscino, where Anne was born and they’ve both always been so happy. She thought they’d needed it, a chance to relax after all the grief and strain of the past few years.

And for a few precious days, even weeks, it works. The Chateau d’Suscino rings with merriment as the young Court throws itself into celebrating the young King and his bright future. François’s birthday ball is no exception.

The nineteen-year-old King is at the centre of proceedings, as is only right, dancing pavanes, galliards and allemains with every young woman in sight, and even some little girls, for his eight-year-old sister Lisabelle and her companions have been allowed to stay up for this one precious night of the year.

Two hours into the ball, François’s red hair is damp with exertion and his dark eyes sparkle with joy, a joy that is utterly infectious. His grin widens excitedly every time he glances over to his wife, presiding on the dais in a gorgeous gown of pale blue taffeta, for, unbeknownst to anyone else in the room, Renee has already given him the best birthday present anyone could ask for. She whispered to him as they left Mass that morning that she is pregnant again – that Anne and Marie will have another sibling before the year is out. The two of them are like children again, hugging their secret between them conspiratorially.

François is dancing with ten-year-old Griet de St Pol, whirling the pretty dark-haired child under his arm to make her giggle, when the mud-splattered figure in the corner of the room catches his eye.

For a split-second, he falters, but when the messenger carries straight on to the dais, he dismisses it and throws himself back into the dance. It’s his birthday. It’s his birthday and Renee is more than capable. She can deal with this importunate petitioner, no matter how urgent the matter may be.

He pulls Griet away from the dais, galloping her down the length of the hall without missing more than half a beat.

By the time they are coming back up the hall, however, Renee is on her feet, scanning the crowd for him. His heart leaps into his throat. The way her jaw is set tells him that, whatever that letter contains, it’s bad news, and urgent bad news at that.

He leaps up the steps of the dais without so much as a goodbye to Griet.

“What is it? What is it, my love?”

In answer, Renee simply holds up the letter, letting him scan it over her shoulder.

The music falters to a discordant halt, as, all around them, people begin to realise that something is very, very wrong.

François pays it no heed, taking in the close-written words with frantic eyes.

Jean, whom they have been watching carefully since he arrived in Narbonne without warning a couple of weeks ago, has finally made his move. He has left the southern city and is pushing north to Orleans at the head of 8500 men. He claims only to want to take up his place on François’s council and replace those who are giving his brother terrible advice, but who knows? He’s very much Madame de Valentinois’s creature. He always has been. And Madame de Valentinois has no reason to be friendly to either François or Renee. Moreover, with Lord Nemours, Henri of Navarre and the Archbishop of Narbonne behind him, Jean has powerful men trying to pull his strings. This could very easily spiral out of control, if they don’t get on top of it, and quickly.

Renee suddenly tips her head back to look up at him, her blue eyes wide with horror.

“Orleans,” she whispers, making it only too clear that her thoughts are running in concert with François’s own.

Orleans is where Jean’s namesake, the Maid, famously relieved the siege, rescued the Dauphin and turned the tide of the Hundred Years War, thereby reviving the fortunes of the House of Valois.

Ever since then, the bustling city has held almost mythic status in the hearts of the populace. In fact, it is treated almost as a second capital, dwarfed only by Paris itself in importance. If Jean can seize it, then…

François shies away from that thought, shaking his head to clear it. It’s not going to come to that. He won’t let it.

Renee reads faster than he does. As such, it is her gasp that pulls François from his musings and directs his attention to the second page of the letter.

Shocking as Jean’s rebellion is, it’s not the worst of it. Not even close. Even as Jean marches north, the Emperor has seen fit to challenge the Treaty of Rouen. The Marquess of Pescara set sail from Rotterdam last week, a fleet of thirty ships under his command. Given Señor de Avalos’ experience in the Italian theatre, and the fact that Jean’s sudden return to France must already be common knowledge throughout Christendom, there is only one place such an Armada can be bound.

Milan.

Cursing under his breath, François squeezes Renee’s shoulder in a futile attempt at reassurance and then shouts across the suddenly silent hall.

“Claude, Guy, Rene, Charles, Antoine! With me. Now!”

The five men so summoned gather hastily and François leads them to a hidden antechamber almost at a run, leaving Renee to rescue what shreds of his birthday party she can.

By dawn, they have their orders. The Duke of Guise is to sail from St Malo with 5000 of the finest Breton soldiers to try to bolster the Duke of Bouillon’s defence of Milan. If they can only get there in time.

Guy de Laval and Rene de Rohan, both of whom have connections to Madame de Valentinois and Henri of Navarre, are to ride to Orleans with all possible speed, taking a cadre of 6000 soldiers with them. With any luck, they will be able to treat with Jean and bring him to heel, but, if all else fails, François has reluctantly conceded that they may try to force his surrender through battle.

Charles de Vendome is to escort the pregnant Renee, Marie, Charly and Lisabelle to Marie’s dower property at Chambord. With any luck, the 3000 soldiers he commands will be enough to keep the Queens, Lord Angouleme and Mademoiselle Elisabeth safe from any villainy Jean and his cronies may be plotting. Meanwhile, Lord Vendome’s son, Antoine, is to take another 3000 men and retreat to Nantes with the Dauphin and Mademoiselle Marie.

At just eighteen, Antoine is the youngest of François’s commanders. In fact, the two of them grew up together, and François sincerely hopes that stationing Antoine in Brittany with his son will be enough to keep his boyhood friend safe. Getting him killed would be a very poor way of rewarding the Vendomes’ loyalty to the Crown.

As for François himself, he is to hot foot it to the central stronghold of Chinon, where his mother waited out the Italian War of 1521, 4000 soldiers and the 24 -year-old heir to the Duchy of Bouillon, Robert de La Marck the Younger, riding with him to keep him safe. From Chinon, with any luck, he will be able to coordinate everyone’s movements and oversee the destruction of his brother’s rebellion before it ever really takes off.

François is reluctant to be parted from Renee, particularly since she is pregnant once more, but he is eventually persuaded that, the more scattered the royal family is in this time of trial, the safer the Crown will be.

All in all, there are soon to be 21,000 of France and Brittany’s finest soldiers on the move throughout the country and overseas.

All François can do, as he kisses Renee, Marie and Lisabelle and bundles them into a litter, charging ten-year-old Charly to be the man of the house until they can all be together again, and then races to the stables to find his own mount, is pray that it won’t all be too little, too late.

Section CXXXII: May 1536
  • Dingwall, May 1536

The bedchamber is shuttered when the midwives finally let Alexander in to see Mary. The women are clearly hoping that keeping the room dark will hide the worst of his wife’s condition, and perhaps they are right. Even so, however, it is painfully clear that Mary is fatally weak.

Susan curtsies as she passes him on her way out of the bedchamber. Her eyes are red-rimmed, but she manages to hold herself together enough to whisper to him what no one else dares say.

“Mistress Cavanagh has managed to stop the bleeding, but she hasn’t long left. She’s lost too much blood for that. You’d best hurry, My Lord.”

Alexander swallows past the lump in his throat, nodding in acknowledgement of Susan’s words, before he shuts the door behind her and turns towards the bed. He doesn’t trust himself to do more than that.

Jolted awake by the sound of the door closing, Mary forces herself into a half-sitting position as he approaches, and he rushes forward to catch her in his arms.

“No, darling, don’t! Save your strength, please!”

To his relief, the sapphire eyes she turns on him are lucid, rather than crazed with fever, the way he’d feared they might be.

“I’m cold,” she whispers, and the quiet admission sends an arrow through Alexander’s heart. He’s never heard Mary complain of even the slightest discomfort. Never. For her to do it now, when every word clearly costs her more than she really has to give…

He scrambles on to the high tester bed behind her, and wraps his arms around her, supporting her against his chest. He tightens his hold as she slumps back against him, willing her to leech his heat and strength, to save herself, even at this eleventh hour.

“Have you seen our daughter?”

“Not yet,” he whispers, carding his hand through Mary’s limp blonde curls, “I came straight to you. But I’m sure she’s beautiful. As beautiful as her mother.”

“Name her Katherine. I always wanted to name one of my daughters for my mother.”

Mary’s voice is weakening by the moment. Alexander bends his head and finds her lips with his, tasting the salt of his tears on her skin.

“Mary Katherine,” he manages, knowing his voice is breaking and unable to stop it, even as he fights to be strong for Mary, “Mary Katherine, because you deserve to be honoured and she deserves to be reminded of the woman who loved her so much that she died to bring her life.”

“Mary Katherine of Ross,” Mary’s eyes close, and, for a horrible, sickening, moment, Alexander fears the end has come. But no. With a herculean effort, his wife forces her lids open once more.

“I want you to marry Nora. When I’ve gone, when you’ve mourned me as you should, I want you to marry Nora.”

“Mary, don’t. Don’t talk like that -”

Despite trying to stay positive, Alexander falters, voice cracking, and Mary seizes his wrist in a vice-like grip, desperation clearly lending her strength.

“No, Sawney. Don’t lie. Not now. We both know it’s over. We knew this was coming. We knew this was coming from the moment I got pregnant again, and Nora will make you happy. You’ll make each other happy. Happier than we ever made each other, I’ll wager. So, please, make her your Duchess. Let her be mother to Bobby and Maggie and Mary Katherine. She’ll love them as though they’re her own. She’s promised.”

“You’ve spoken to her about it?” Alexander feels his eyes go wide. He’s always known Mary and Nora consider each other sisters, that they talk about everything, but even so… However, Mary’s last great speech has robbed her of more than she has left to give. It is all she can do to nod slightly against his chest in answer.

“Oh, Mary. Oh, my love.” Alexander bends his head, pressing their foreheads together. He is no longer even trying to restrain his tears and they soak Mary’s clammy fair hair like a waterfall as he concertinas himself over her, counting her breaths like the pearls they are, like the pearl her father always said she was.

“I love you, you know,” he murmurs into the silence, “Whatever else happened, whatever happens between Nora and I, I want you to know that I do love you. You’re my cousin, my wife and my Duchess and I love you. I always have.”

He fancies Mary squeezes his hand in answer, so he says it again, even more gently, “I love you. I always have, my darling.”

He pauses, studying the silence. Something has changed. Without being able to explain how, he knows, deep in his bones, that something has changed irrevocably in the last few moments.

It takes him several long seconds to realise what.

Mary has stopped struggling for breath.

Surrounded by his warmth and his love, she has slipped from Alexander’s arms and gone to the loving embrace of her Maker.

Section CXXXIII: May 1536
  • Dingwall, May 1536

He finds Nora in the nursery. She’s standing by the window, Mary Katherine in her arms. There is a poker of tension running through her spine, and, though she turns at Alexander’s footstep, she doesn’t seem to see him, not even as he takes his new daughter from her arms and hands the child to the wet nurse, kissing the tiny forehead absently as he does so.

“She’s blonde. Like her mother.”

The words are broken, tremulous, and Alexander doesn’t try to respond, only nods. He knows Nora doesn’t really expect an answer. He places his hands on Nora’s upper arms, anchoring her in place as he whispers the expected, dreaded words.

“She’s gone. Nora, I’m really sorry, but she’s gone.”

A sharp intake of breath is the only response he gets. He is about to repeat himself, fearing Nora hasn’t heard him properly, when she looks up at him, wild-eyed.

“Tell me you were with her. Please tell me you were with her!”

“I was with her,” he confirms gently, rubbing circles on Nora’s biceps with his thumbs, “I was with her. We named Mary Katherine together. She died in my arms. She wasn’t on her own, I promise.”

A smidgen of Nora’s tension eases at that, but she says no more.

Alexander wants to let her be, to let her work through this terrible, aching tragedy in her own time, but he can’t restrain himself. He has to know.

“She said she’d asked you to take her place as my Duchess. To be Bobby and Maggie and Mary Katherine’s mother. I’m sorry to bring it up right now, but I have to know. Is it…?”

“Years ago,” Nora interrupts him hollowly, “She sat across from me in the nursery in Holyrood, the day after we met Louise for the first time, and asked me. I couldn’t say no. Not - Not to our darling Mary. I loved her. She was my sister. I…”

Nora’s voice breaks, and Alexander acts on instinct. He steps forward and pulls Nora into his chest.

There are gasps from the maids around them, but he ignores them. Propriety be damned! Mary is dead! This is hardly the time to worry about protocol.

“I know,” he hushes, pushing his fingers under Nora’s hood so that he can wind them into her blonde curls, anchoring them both, “I know how close you were. I loved her too. I loved her too.”

His words are what finally break through Nora’s defences. Her arms fly round his waist and she clings to him, desperate keening sobs juddering through her.

Alexander has no words to offer her. No comfort. After all, he’s just as shaken by their loss as she is.

All he can do – what he does – is hold her and cry with her.

Thornbury, May 1536

“Forgive me, Your Highness, but there is grave news from Edinburgh. Her Highness the Duchess of Ross is dead. She died last week, birthing a daughter the Duke has named Mary Katherine in both your honour and hers.”

The words strike Katherine like arrows. Her first instinct is to deny them, to cry that they cannot be true. Mary can’t be dead. By the Virgin, her darling girl is only twenty, and she’s hardly been sick a day in her life. She can’t be dead!

But when she looks over the kneeling messenger’s head to the woman standing behind him, she knows it is no lie. Maria de Salinas, Dowager Baroness Willoughby, wouldn’t leave her duties at Hundson without due warning, not unless there was a dire emergency at hand.

“Maria…” She whispers the name like a talisman, hardly knowing whether it is her daughter or her oldest friend she is calling to.

The other woman curtsies, her greying hair falling forward into her face as she dips her head.

“Catalina. I am so, so sorry.”

It is the sound of her native Castilian that finally dispels Katherine of her last, lingering doubts as to the veracity of the news. She almost buckles under the horror of it. Only her Trastamara pride keeps her upright.

Her first thought is that she must go to Scotland. Mary is only twenty. She’s too young to be buried in foreign soil, without even one of her parents present.

But when she opens her mouth to order her household to prepare, the words won’t come. She can’t bring herself to say the words.

She falls to her knees with a strangled gasp, hand clutching her chest.

“Catalina!”

Maria is there in an instant, supporting her, waving the messenger and the rest of Katherine’s twittering ladies away, so that the two of them can kneel, quite alone, in the middle of the solar.

They say that, in times of great peril, one’s life flashes before one’s eyes.

For Katherine, in these bitterly dark moments, it is Mary who flashes before her eyes.

Mary, all of four days old, kicking and gurgling merrily as the then Lady Surrey places her in Katherine’s arms after her baptism into the light of Christ.

Mary, wide-eyed and solemn at six, listening carefully as Katherine explains that she and Henry are no longer married, but rather brother and sister, and that Mary and her companions will have to learn to honour Lady Mary Talbot as Henry’s wife and Queen.

Mary, twelve years old and giddy with excitement because her father has deemed her old enough to attend her first Twelfth Night revel and promised that she may open the dancing with him.

Mary, radiant in rose-pink alexander and cloth-of-silver as she says her wedding vows, her smile bright enough to light up all of England, her beautiful poise filling Katherine with pride.

Minutes may pass, or it may be hours. Katherine has no idea. All she knows is that, eventually, she slumps sideways against Maria and sinks into the blessed peace of oblivion.

Section CXXXIV: June 1536
  • I'm not happy about having this chapter so soon after Mary's death, but Mary's death was slated for May 1536 long before I was talked into this story arc, so we'll have to live with it...

Orleans, June 1536

“We’ve won! We’ve won!”

The thought courses through Jean’s head; nay, his very blood, pounding triumphantly in his veins in time to the clopping of his horse’s hooves.

Oh, he’s not so simple as to think it’s all over. He’s not a child, after all. It’s not over. They’re not in Paris yet. He’s not at his brother’s council table yet.

But still. They’ve taken Orleans. Orleans, the second city of France. Oh, it didn’t come easily. It took Lord Nemours a full three weeks to deliver it into their hands, and the populace are far from happy about it, as evidenced by their sullen, silent watching of Jean’s arrival, but it’s theirs. Orleans is theirs, and as such, they hold the symbolic heart of the nation in their grasp. François will have to treat with them now. If he wants to keep his throne, wants to keep France from being torn apart, then he’ll have to.

“And the first thing I’ll make him do is beg Mama Isabelle’s pardon for taking our siblings from her and giving them to our Lady Mother. Not to mention for banishing her from Court, when all she ever sought to do was make Papa happy. It’s the least she deserves.”

Mind made up, Jean twists in the saddle to look back at Isabella. She is riding half a dozen paces behind him and Bella, radiant in a riding habit of pale green fustian, her chestnut hair spilling down to her waist from the confines of her feathered riding hat. He smiles at her, his dark eyes shining affectionately, and her own grey orbs light up as she returns the warm gaze he is bestowing upon her.

“Jezebel!”

The venomous shout cleaves the sullen silence in two.

A rock the size of both Jean’s fists put together flies in his general direction and he ducks instinctively. His piebald palfrey skitters and half-rears, startled by the sudden commotion, and for a moment, it is all Jean can do to stay in the saddle. He clings on desperately, fighting to get his horse back under control, even as his two dozen Italian guards, riding ahead of him in the procession, curse and wheel back to shield him and Bella from whatever trouble is brewing.

It doesn’t take long for order to be restored around him, but even so, Jean’s heart is racing as he looks back, to see where that stone eventually landed. What he sees nearly makes his heart stop altogether.

Isabella’s bay palfrey is plunging and squealing, fighting the iron grip that two burly guards have on its bridle. The poor beast is clearly crazed with pain and fear. But that isn’t what terrifies Jean so. What truly lances his heart is the fact that the bay’s ornate leather side-saddle is empty. Isabella herself lies crumpled on the ground, her emerald feathered hat several feet away from her. Even from twenty feet away, Jean can see the livid mark on her scalp where the rock struck her…and the gout of blood pouring from the hole in her skull, darkening and matting her beautiful chestnut hair.

“Mama Isabelle!”

Jean flings himself from the saddle without a second thought. He rushes over and drops to his knees beside Isabella, heedless of her blood, the way it stains his royal blue tunic, of the way he is endangering himself, kneeling so close to a frenzied, plunging horse.

“Mama Isabelle!”

He cradles her limp body in his arms, clinging to her like a drowning man clings to any scrap of driftwood. As he does so, a dozen memories flash through his head, all of them moments when it was the other way, when Isabella held him and comforted him, cradling him like an older sister would. Like a mother would.

He feels the tears rising, but before they can reach his eyes, they are overtaken by anger, an overwhelming tidal wave of rage that builds and builds in his chest until it is all he can feel.

Someone threw that stone.

Someone in this pox-ridden, mangy crowd of peasants threw that stone. Some stinking serf not fit to tie her shoes called his beloved Mama Isabelle a Jezebel and threw the stone that killed her.

And, as any good son would, he’s going to make them regret it. He’s going to make them wish they’d never been born.

“Find him!”

Jean leaps to his feet, screaming the order in a voice that cracks, hoarse with rage, “Find him! I don’t care if you have to tear the whole city apart to do it, find the whoreson who threw this stone!”

Perhaps if Jean were surrounded by Frenchmen, his escort would hesitate, reluctant to ride down their own countrymen. But, as befits the Duke of Milan, his guards are Italian condottieri. The paid mercenaries have no such qualms, not as long as Jean can afford to pay their wages. One glance at his face, contorted and set like stone, is enough to spur them into action.

As one, they wheel their horses and canter into the crowd, causing screams and panic everywhere they turn.

Section CXXXV: June 1536
  • Orleans, June 1536

Phillippe, Duke de Nemours, stalks the wall walk of the Bishop’s Palace, cursing roundly in his head.

Damn Madame de Valentinois and her siren’s hold over Lord Milan! If she’d actually let him be the soldier she claimed to want him to be, then he wouldn’t be so bereft. He would have thrown himself into his plans for their campaign, not be moping around the Bishop’s Palace with a face like a kicked puppy, reluctant to eat or even to talk to anyone other than Lady Isabella’s brother Henri of Navarre. He’d know the dangers of leaving his men leaderless, especially when a good portion of them are foreigners, and as such, even more vulnerable to the ravaging reprisals that no one dares talk about, but that they all know must be coming. They must be. Not even King François, weak and easily steered by the women in his life as he is, will be able to ignore his brother’s flagrant breach of his peace, not when it happened in the very heart of his royal domains.

Footsteps bring Phillippe out of his dark thoughts. The Cardinal of Lorraine stands behind him, his face as dour as Phillippe’s mind.

He crosses to stand by Phillippe and leans against the balustrade, arms folded.

“Well. This is a pretty pickle we’ve got ourselves into, isn’t it?”

“Indeed,” Phillippe growls, “My God. When I threw my weight behind Lord Milan, I didn’t expect him to turn out to be as much of a mother’s boy as his brother! I thought he knew better.”

“His Highness is still very young,” the Cardinal hums, “Perhaps we should have expected him to balk when something went wrong, especially something this serious.”

“But we can’t just sit here, waiting for King François to come to us! Waiting is the death of any campaign, every soldier knows that! We’re already struggling for support. If we don’t do something soon, then we’ll start haemorrhaging men, and that really will be the nail in the coffin for us! And what would Lady Isabella say to that? She wouldn’t want it, surely? Can’t you make His Highness see that?”

“His Majesty of Navarre is trying,” the Cardinal sighs dryly, and Phillippe’s hands curl into fists, barely restraining a snarl at how useless the green whelp he is supposed to honour as his Prince is being.

However, when he glances across at the Cardinal of Lorraine, he is astonished by how calm the younger man seems.

“You look surprisingly serene, My Lord, considering we’ll all be for the axe if we can’t regain the upper hand,” he remarks and the Archbishop shrugs.

“I doubt my head will be on the block, even if we do lose. François won’t want to anger His Holiness by executing a Prince of the Church. But who says we will lose? Lord Milan might not be willing to lead, just at this moment, and who can blame him, after the loss he has suffered. But are we not his generals? Are we not, in our own right, two of the most powerful men in France? We don’t have to wait for the boy to recover. We can make our own moves, can we not?”

Something in the younger man’s silky tone brings Phillippe up short. He cuts the Cardinal a piercing glance.

“You have something in mind, don’t you?”

“The last sign of favour the late King Francis ever bestowed upon me was to appoint me Bishop of Nantes. Nantes, in Brittany.”

The words hang in the air, full of portent. For a moment, Lord Nemours simply stares at the Cardinal, wondering how he thinks a Breton church post is going to help them…and then it crashes over him. His jaw drops open.

“But that’s where the Dauphin is! Do you mean, you could…”

“What right does anyone have to stop me from visiting my rightful See? And since I am in Brittany, it would surely be only right for me to visit my young liege lord, would it not?”

“Jean…” In his excitement, Lord Nemours forgets to honour the Archbishop with full courtesy, only whispers wonderingly, “If you could seize control of the Dauphin and Mademoiselle Marie… If you held the future of France in your hands…”

“François would have to come to terms with us, would he not? Now, I can’t be seen to go with too big a retinue, not if anyone is going to believe I come in peace, so I shall take 200 of my men from Narbonne, and put my Breton retainers on alert for when I land in Brittany. Give me two hundred of your men, and I shall sail for Brittany tomorrow.”

Phillippe doesn’t have to think twice. The Cardinal’s plan to try to seize control of the Dauphin, to hold the future of France in his hands, is a bold one, but they need something bold. Their cause is flagging badly, and their supposed figurehead doesn’t even seem to care. They need to change tack, and quickly.

He clasps the younger man’s arm, nodding fiercely. “Done. Go and speak to Jacques, my captain of the guard. Tell him I sent you and he’ll see you get everything you need.”

“Thank you, Your Grace.”

The Cardinal doesn’t miss a beat. He nods to Phillippe and then swings on his heel, scarlet robes fluttering in the breeze as he leaves the wall walk. Phillippe watches him go, relief warring with exultation in his breast.

At last! They have a plan. Despite Lord Milan’s refusal to take on the responsibility that is rightfully his, they have a plan.

Maybe, just maybe, all is not lost after all.

Last edited:
    Section CXXXVI: July 1536
  • @Tudorfan has very helpfully written half of another chapter for me (completely unprompted, I might add... <3) so you all get the benefit! Enjoy!

Chinon, July 1536

“As God is my witness, I never want another year like this one,” François mutters to himself morosely, “It’s not even half over, and it’s already the worst I’ve ever lived through.”

He stalks the battlements of Chinon, too restless to stay indoors, but too lost in thought to appreciate the wide, calming vista spread out beneath him. How did Maman do this? How did she wait out the Italian Wars here, calm and serene, without letting on to him or Margot that she was scared out of her wits with Papa away and in such danger?

No sooner has François asked himself the question, however, than the answer comes to him, “She had you to focus on. You’re on your own.”

Yes, François is alone, for what is possibly the first time in his life. He’s always had someone from his family around him. Even when Papa died, and he had to take up the mantle of King, he had Renee at his side. Renee at first, and then, when they’d made it to Paris, Maman, Louise, Charly and Lisabelle as well. They’d been able to help each other, support one another through the haze of grief.

But this year, the family is scattered. For their own safety, the family is scattered, and he, the paterfamilias, is left alone, trying to absorb blow after blow so that it doesn’t affect the others. Hell, for the sake of keeping the Succession safe, he hasn’t even been able to ride for Brittany, to protect his children from Cardinal Lorraine’s attempts to seize them. Instead, trapped behind the thick walls of Chinon, when the rumours of Lorraine's plots reached him, he had to order Guy de Laval to abandon his pursuit of Jean and turn back to Brittany, to help Antoine de Vendome keep Anne and Marie safe.

And as if that wasn’t bad enough, Milan has fallen. Despite Claude de Guise’s best efforts, Milan has fallen, Jean is in open rebellion, and François doesn’t know what to do.

Half of him wants to strangle his little brother. After all, it was at least partly because Jean abandoned his Duchy that Señor de Pescara was able to swoop into the city so easily, that 2500 Frenchmen went to their deaths throwing themselves against the walls trying to get it back. Their blood stains Jean’s hands.

On the other hand, however, it was surely only a matter of time before the Emperor pushed his way back south into Italy, even had Jean stayed loyal. Everyone knows that. The loss of the Duchy is galling, but is it really worth committing fratricide for? After all, Maman has drilled the horrors of the Cousins’ War into him – the treacheries of George of Clarence and the Usurper of Gloucester among them. She’s drilled them into all of them. François doesn’t want to sink to that level. Not if he doesn’t have to. He doesn’t want to set that kind of example for his son.

“Sire! Sire!” A breathless messenger breaks into his reverie and François spins on his heel, somehow instinctively knowing that this is urgent.

“Yes?”

“It’s Lord Milan, Sire! He’s ordered his Italian guard into the crowds in Orleans!”

“What?!” François can’t believe what he is hearing, but there is no mistaking the words tumbling from the young boy’s mouth. The page rushes onwards, his words tripping over themselves, so eager is he to be the one to tell his King this momentous news.

“Lord Milan was riding into Orleans with his wife, Lord Nemours and Madame de Valentinois when one of the crowd threw a stone. Madame de Valentinois was struck on the side of the head and killed instantly. Lord Milan was furious with grief and ordered his troops to find the perpetrator. They charged into the crowd, and within the hour, twenty-five people lay dead. They say nearly a thousand were injured.”

Very, very rarely does François feel his family’s temper take hold of him, but at the page’s words, he feels the white-hot rage rising like a wave inside his chest. He lets it fill him, letting loose a curse that would make a sailor blush.

Jean would ride into an innocent crowd, heedless of whom he hurt in his quest for vengeance? He connives to spill French blood, not only in Italy, but in the heart of France itself? This is beyond the pale! He’s no Prince now, but a traitor!

“Get word to Lord de Laval. Tell him to forget Brittany and get his men back to Orleans. Now! I’ll ride for Nantes and defend the Dauphin myself!”

François thunders down the steps to the courtyard, shouting orders as he goes. When one of his men tries to remonstrate with him, to remind him of exactly why he is being kept safe at Chinon, he whirls on him.

“I am a father as much as a King! The Dauphin needs me, and what kind of a man would I be if I kept hiding behind walls while I ordered others to die for me? If I am truly France’s King, then I must be prepared to fight for her. For her, and for my son! Now do your job, and let me do mine. Bring me Jean. Bring the traitor to me, and let him answer for his crimes, if he can!”

Section CXXXVII: July 1536
  • Orleans, July 1536

“Milan? You want to go back to Milan? Now?! My Lord…”

“It is my Duchy, is it not?”

“Tell that to the Emperor!” Phillippe de Nemours clenches his fists at his sides, struggling to stop himself from shaking the recalcitrant Jean, “Like it or not, we ceded Milan to Lord Pescara the moment we landed in Narbonne! And your brother has more than proven he doesn’t like to fight for territories he loses. If he won’t fight for Boulogne, he sure as Hell won’t fight for Milan, not now. Not after what we’ve done. No, My Lord. If we are to get your Duchy back, then we must get ourselves installed in Paris! We must press on!”

“Must?! Must is not a word one uses to Princes, Lord Nemours! I came north for Madame de Valentinois’s sake. Now that she is dead, I see no reason to remain in France and put myself so easily within my brother’s reach. Get word to the men, we ride for Milan at dawn!”

“My Lord… you gave your word that you would see me installed on my mother’s throne in Pamplona. My sister, God rest her, would want you to keep that promise. Or did we all misjudge you? Are you naught more than a boy playing the man, ready to run at the first sign of trouble? Has Isabella died for nothing?”

Of all the curses and savage words thrown at Jean, it is Henri of Navarre’s that comes closest to getting through to him. The newly-fourteen-year-old falters for a moment, turning to face the older man with a stricken face.

Before he can speak, however, the doors behind them crash open and they all jolt, whirling as one to confront the intruder.

Guy de Laval stands there, two dozen burly men-at-arms fanned out behind him.

“Lord Milan, Lord Nemours, I have here warrants for your arrest, signed at Chinon by His Majesty King François. You are all to come with me to Nantes, where King François will decide what your fates shall be.”

Phillippe’s hand flies to his sword, as does Jean’s, but, when they look at the third of their triumvirate, Henri of Navarre simply smirks, and glances across to the Count.

“I understand King François must punish his rebellious subjects, but surely he would never be so crass as to arrest a brother sovereign, Father?”

“Of course not, son,” Guy de Laval replies coolly, laying just as much snide emphasis on Henri’s familial title as the younger man did on his, “Not, of course, providing that Your Majesty leaves France at once and never again embroils us in your rash dreams of restoration. Indeed, in his great mercy, King François has permitted me to say that any common soldier who surrenders to me or to my captains will be spared.”

Henri hesitates for a moment, but it is really just for show. In truth, he’s been negotiating behind Jean’s back ever since his sister died. Isabella was the driving force behind Jean’s stubborn uprising, after all, and he’s rudderless without her. Henri saw the writing on the wall a while ago, both for the uprising and for his own dreams of retaking his family’s realm. With France in turmoil and Jean out of favour and powerless, there is no one who would care enough to help Henri retake Pamplona, at least not when it means going up against the might of the Empire. And Gaston is only six. He can’t take up the banner yet, not for at least a decade. When the choice is between a suicidal last stand or a pampered exile pleading for support in Europe, trying to keep his family’s cause alive long enough for his son to take over…well, he really has no choice at all.

Henri nods to his father-in-law, and beckons to his men, sweeping from the room with all the arrogance that befits a King, even if only a titular one.

Jean watches open-mouthed. He is still too green in the world of politics to understand all the motivations behind every single power play, but even he knows it bodes ill for their cause when half the soldiers in the room, already uncomfortable with torn loyalties, particularly after Jean slaughtered so many innocents seeking vengeance for Isabella, seize their chance to defect, following Henri of Navarre out of the room. The young Duke screams obscenities after the defectors, exhorting them to return, but none do.

Lord Nemours knows then that it is all over. In truth, he’s known it is over ever since Guy de Laval set foot in their council chamber. After all, King François’s lapdog would never have made it so far into their stronghold without at least some of their soldiers turning coat.

Still, he tries. Roaring defiantly, swinging his sword with every ounce of strength he possesses, he does everything he can to stop the inevitable.

Jean does the same, but essentially, it is the two of them against two dozen, and, slowly but surely, they are overwhelmed. Overwhelmed and forced to their knees, hands bound behind their backs.

Guy de Laval leers down at them, grim satisfaction etched into every line of his face.

“It’s over, you whoresons. The next time you wake, you’ll be in Nantes before King François.”

With two swift swipes of the wrist, he clouts them on the backs of their heads with the pommel of his sword, even as protests form on their lips.

The world goes black.

Section CXXXVIII: August 1536
  • Nantes, August 1536

François is just coming out of Mass when it happens.

His mother, returned to Court now that Jean’s rebellion has been stamped out, throws herself at his feet, hair unbound.

Mon roi¸ I beg you, spare my son! He’s just a boy, led astray by the wiles of a scheming Jezebel. Run mad with lust, he knew not what he did. I beg you, clemency!”

There are audible gasps from the knots of courtiers all around them at Marie’s impassioned plea, and François groans inwardly. Why couldn’t his mother have come to him privately, rather than approaching him as he left Mass like this? By petitioning him publicly for his brother’s life, she’s almost guarantees that, whatever he says to her, their encounter will be all over Court within hours. Hell, it’ll be all over France in a matter of days. She’s forcing his hand. Whatever he decides, she’s forcing his hand, and after she promised she’d never dare do that to him.

Still, he can hardly refuse to hear her out, not before all these witnesses, so instead, he does what he can in terms of damage limitation, brusquely ordering his bodyguards to clear the passageway and then stand in pairs at either end to deter any would-be eavesdroppers.

Only then does he turn back to his mother.

Marie hasn’t moved from where she threw herself to her knees before him, and he pauses, simply watching her, absently tracing the sunbeams spilling through the high windows above them with his eyes as they dance in her fading red hair, playing in its natural curls.

“Why are you here for him?”

He hardly recognises his own voice, so dry and hoarse is the question, “He’s cost us Milan, torn France apart. He’s killed hundreds of my people. Our people. Why does he deserve your pity?”

“He’s still my son!” His mother’s head flies up, and her sapphire eyes meet François’s brown ones with an intensity that burns into his very soul, “Milan, the massacre at Orleans…all of that pales in comparison to the fact he’s my son. He’s your brother.”

“He hasn’t exactly behaved as though he is,” Francois scoffs, “He refuses to acknowledge you as his mother. He hasn’t honoured you as he should for nearly a decade.”

“And so you want to sink to his level, do you?” Marie counters, “You want to be known as a kinslayer, the King who killed his brother, as though he were no better than a heathen Turk or Musselman?”

A heartbeat of silence passes. Two. François opens his mouth, then closes it again, finding he doesn’t really know what to say.

At last, his mother speaks again, voice shaking with suppressed emotion, “François, please. He’s only fourteen.”

François’s heart twists at his mother’s broken whisper, but he knows he can’t be seen to be weak to her tears. Not now, not after everything that has happened.

Reaching down, he pulls her, none too gently, to her feet.

“Young or not, he’s still a man, Maman. Fourteen is more than old enough to know what he was doing.”

With that, he turns on his heel, leaving the blunt words hanging in the air behind him.

Nantes, 11th August 1536

“…I don’t know what to do, Renee. Maman is pleading for Jean’s life. Despite all the rancour that’s sprung up between them, she’s pleading for his life, and I must admit, I’m loth to become a kinslayer. But I must be seen to do something. I can’t let Jean get off scot free, at liberty to challenge me with impunity. I can’t have him free to become my George of Clarence…”

Chambord, 20th August 1536

“François, mon cher,

What’s the old joke? That women never agree with their mothers by marriage?

Well, on this occasion, forget about that. I know you might not want to hear this, but I think your mother is right. Branding yourself a kinslayer will hurt your standing on the international stage even more than Jean’s rebellion already has. Honestly, my love, I’m not sure if we’d ever recover, especially given how young our brother still is.

But, then again, his youth is actually an advantage, if you want to show him clemency. He might be fourteen now, but he was underage when Lord Nemours, the Archbishop of Narbonne and Madame de Valentinois entangled him in their nefarious schemes. Remind people of that, and I think people will understand if you choose to simply strip him of his Duchy and exile him. But it will have to be for life. Make it all too clear, that, come Michaelmas, Jean will be in peril of his life if he so much as sails into French waters.

Now, as for the other ringleaders, Lord Nemours must die. Indeed, since he raised his sword against his King, let a sword be the manner of his execution. Let a swordsman take his life before a crowd, so that all may know he is dead, as befits a traitor.

I admit, however, that Lord Narbonne is more difficult. He may be an adult and of sound mind, unlike our little brother, but he is also a Prince of the Church. You won’t be able to slay him like the traitor he is, not without needlessly antagonising His Holiness. I think it’s ridiculous, that Holy Orders should protect a man so, but there we are. May I suggest that you extend the Archbishop the courtesy of choosing his own manner of death, as your great-grandfather once did to his own brother? Then at least no one can say you haven’t respected His Eminence’s high rank. And perhaps a discreet letter to His Holiness, explaining the details of the case, wouldn’t go amiss either.

But in all honesty, if His Holiness can’t see that we have no choice but to execute the Cardinal, given what he’s done, then perhaps France would be better off without having to answer to Rome? After all, with at least a fortnight’s journey between us, how can Rome ever be expected to understand the complexities of what goes on in our realm?

But whatever you choose to do, mon Coeur, know that I am with you. We need to stand united, now more than ever, and frankly, Paris would have to melt into the Seine before I denied you, rebellion or not….”

Kenninghall, 23rd August 1536

“My dearest brother,

Two chantry chapels? One in Birgham and one in Carham? With Mary buried in one and her heart in the other? I think it’s a beautiful idea, and I’m honoured you should ask me for help, especially over and above our Aunt Katherine and/or Uncle Henry. Of course I’ll sponsor the chantry chapel at Carham. Our darling Mary, my darling sister-cousin, deserves no less.

And I agree, Aunt Katherine will absolutely want to be there when we inter Mary’s heart at Carham. Indeed, I think she’ll want to preside over Mary’s reinterment at Birgham, if you can only arrange it. I know she’s not popular in the Borders, but she is Mary’s mother. Get her a safe-conduct, just this once. Please. I’ll bring her to Birgham for the reinterment, and then the three of us can accompany Mary’s heart to Carham, so that it can rest in English soil, as befits our beautiful English Rose.

Now, we’re going to need a few months, at least, to arrange all this and consecrate the ground we’ll need, so may I suggest we aim for next May, so we can tie everything into Mary’s year mind? And if I might presume even further upon your goodwill… If we do delay things until May, then your children will be more than old enough to withstand the rigours of travels, even little Mary Katherine. Might they be able to come to Birgham with you?

Oh, I’d never dream of asking you to allow them out of Scotland, not when Jamie and Cousin Louise are still childless, but Aunt Katherine would so cherish it if she could meet them. Let them be at Birgham with us for their mother’s formal reburial, and then we can leave them in the care of their nurses while we go south to Carham. What do you say?

Do write and tell me. And kiss the children for me.

I remain, Sawney, your devoted sister,

Meg Surrey

Last edited:
    Section CXXXIX: September 1536
  • Nantes, September 1536

“I hate to say it, Your Majesty, but Lord Milan and his conspirators had a point. They went about it all the wrong way, rising treasonably against Your Majesty, but their grievances were valid. It isn’t fitting that France should simply roll over and let the English curs rule so much of the northern coast. That we’ve never succeeded in taking back Calais is bad enough, but to allow Henry Tudor control of the County of Boulogne as well… Is it any wonder that a seasoned warrior like Lord Nemours couldn’t stand it?”

François looks across the council table at his godfather, half surprised that a proud Breton lord such as the Archbishop of Rennes should be speaking in favour of a policy that enriches his natal enemies. A moment later, he realises why. This is a widespread feeling among his council and the Archbishop has merely been nominated as spokesperson, because his status as François’s godfather lends him a little more leeway in terms of how outspoken he can be with his King.

François sighs and holds up a hand, “Ah, Yvo, I know. I’ve known since the day I signed the Treaty of Boulogne how unpopular it is. But what would you have me do? The County is Queen Catherine of England’s by right, and the Dauphin is not yet four. Lord Angouleme is hardly past the age of reason. Every man in this room knows his Ecclesiastes: Woe to thee, O land, when thy king is a child. If I were to die in battle like my father, what would become of France?”

“Your Grace need not fight,” Lord Vendome interjects, “Simply give any one of your generals the command and we would all gladly lay down our lives to bring the County of Boulogne back to France.”

“What, and be branded a coward?” François shakes his head, “No, Charles, that won’t do. My God, I’m already a mere whisker away from being a kinslayer. Let’s not add the epithet of coward to the list. Besides, let’s be blunt. We can’t afford to be seen to go along with the conspirators’ demands. Not now, not when my brother has just cost us Milan and near on 3000 of the finest French and Breton soldiers. Not when he’s just sacked Orleans for the sake of a harlot. It would make a mockery of the deaths of Lord Guise’s men, a mockery of the citizens of Orleans. And that’s before we even start looking at the financial cost. No. We recompense Orleans and we send as many of those who rose against us out to the Two Canadas as we can manage, just as soon as we can manage. Once we’ve got a steady stream of income coming in from the New World, once we’ve found that Northwest Passage Monsieur Cartier keeps talking about, then we will have re-established ourselves on the international stage, and we can start thinking about re-taking Boulogne. Who knows, by then my uncles might have started squabbling over their various holdings in the Low Countries and be distracted. We may even be able to push forward into the Empire. But I cannot, and will not, risk another war while the Dauphin is still so young. Any man who disagrees with that will find himself on the next ship to Canada alongside the rebels. Do I make myself clear?”

Silence greets François’s words. He looks round the room, noting that more than a few of his councillors still look mutinous. He growls under his breath, but says no more. He’s made his wishes and his reasoning crystal clear. If they don’t approve of it, well, then, approval be damned. He’s their King, and they’ll do what he wants. He won’t be pushed on this, at least not until he’s got his brother, Lord Nemours and His Eminence of Narbonne dealt with. Narbonne is in the Bastille, where he will stay for the rest of his life, no matter what the Holy Father has to say about it, and Lord Nemours will die this very afternoon, so that just leaves him Jean to deal with.

He turns on his heel and stalks out of the council chamber to his private audience chamber, where, he knows, Renee will already be waiting for him.

Jean doesn’t look the slightest bit sorry.

It is the first thing François notices.

His younger brother might be wearing the traditional brown and dove grey of a penitent, but he isn’t at all abashed by what he’s done. Indeed, as he stands before them, he cocks one leg to the side, leaning casually upon it in an exact mirror of a pose their father adopted a thousand times. Utterly comfortable in his own skin, Jean’s dark insouciance makes him look more like their father than François, with his Tudor red hair and height, ever will.

The knowledge burns François, driving his temper up past breaking point.

“You cost us Milan!” he spits, unable to help himself, “You cost us Milan and near on 4000 men, a significant proportion of them innocent townspeople! Have you no shame?! Have you nothing at all to say for yourself?!”

“I was doing what Papa wanted!”

Jean clearly isn’t quite as calm as he wants François to think. His dark eyes flash dangerously as he answers, “I was doing what Papa wanted. I was coming to Paris to take my rightful place on your Council and force you to send men to reclaim Boulogne! Boulogne! The county Papa died to defend!”

François scoffs, exchanging a scornful look with Renee. As he does so, he notes again just how pregnant she really is. Her belly is ballooning out in front of her in a way that would be grotesque if it wasn’t such a powerful symbol of her fecundity. By rights, she shouldn’t be here. She ought to be in confinement by now, but she has insisted on being here for this one last duty; on being at François’s side as he dispenses justice to the ringleaders of their brother’s rebellion. She says that, as a sovereign Duchess as well as his Queen, it is only right for her to be at his side, no matter what condition she may find herself in.

A surge of warmth fills François at her silent support, and he snorts again, turning back to face Jean.

“Pull the other one, little brother. You weren’t doing what Papa wanted. You were doing what that Navarrese harlot of his wanted. You’ve always danced to her tune, like a monkey dances for a piper. Your little tantrum in Orleans proved that!

“What, and you don’t dance to Maman’s?” It is Jean’s turn to scoff, and the sharp words spring to François’s lips before he can stop them.

“Better that than to scorn her the way you do! Papa never disrespected her, not in public. Christ, if it wasn’t such a slur on Maman’s honour, I’d wonder if you were actually his son at all. You certainly don’t act like it!”

“François!” Renee catches his wrist in a vice, hissing his name in a sharp reprimand, “This isn’t helping. Don’t let him get to you, mon coeur.”

Francois snarls lowly, but, fortunately for him, the nearest guard cuffs Jean across the back of the head, earning François a momentary respite in which to regain control of his emotions. Renee is right. He can’t afford to let his younger brother rile him so. Not here, not now. A King must always be in control when passing a sentence. Papa taught him that.

“You’ll keep a civil tongue in your head when addressing His Majesty, traitor!”

Jean rears round, snarling with affront that a mere guard should dare to lay hands on him, the second-in-line to the throne of France, but François cuts across his whining harangue before it can truly get going.

“If it were up to me, you’d die,” he snaps, the lie like ice on his tongue, “If it were up to me, I’d cut you down where you stand like the traitor you are. You deserve no more mercy than that. However, luckily for you, you have two gracious advocates in Maman and Queen Renee. They have both pled for your life, claiming that you were too young to resist Lady Isabella’s feminine wiles when she enticed you into Lord Nemours’ serpentine plot. I would be a most unchristian son and husband if I paid them no heed. “

François deliberately pauses, a savage delight filling him as Jean’s sallow face twists at his words. How it must gall his little brother to know that he owes his life to the mother he has spent most of the last decade spurning and belittling.

Only when the silence has gone on so long as to be almost uncomfortable does François speak again, keeping his voice devoid of any emotion, a feat he can only manage because he can feel Renee’s pulse beating steadily alongside his where their wrists are touching and he can use her heartbeat to steady his own.

“You will have three weeks to set both your French and Italian affairs in order, and then I expect you to leave my lands. As of Michaelmas, you are never to set foot in France again. Indeed, if you are found within twenty leagues of any inch of French soil, I shall reward the gentleman who strikes you down with a purse of 1000 livres.”

François expects his brother to blanch at this news, or at least to look shamefaced. What he is not expecting is for Jean to throw his head back, laughing.”

“You’re a coward, brother! Dress it up as mercy all you want, but you’re nothing more than a coward! You don’t have the nerve to be Papa’s successor. Christ, you say I’m not his son, but I would have made a far better King. At least I’m willing to fight for what was mine by right!”

The words sting, and François finds himself on his feet before he knows quite what is happening.

A moment later, however, cold fury fills him and he knows that this is right. This moment could not have been any better manufactured if they had set out to achieve it deliberately.

He salutes Renee’s fingers sharply and then jerks his head at Jean’s guards, “Bring the Duke. Let him see what France does to traitors.”

He sweeps from the chamber, Jean dragged protestingly in his wake.

In the yard, Philippe, Duc de Nemours, kneels before a mounting block, a black-hooded executioner standing silent and proud behind him.

There is a small amount of consternation when the royal brothers arrive in the yard, and in truth, François can’t blame them. It is not usual for the King to attend an execution, he knows, and, given he gave Guy de Laval permission to get the executioner drunk beforehand, this is going to be a particularly unpleasant one. Nonetheless, he must watch it. This is Lord Nemours, an untrue creature worse than any in France have ever seen. He has to see him dead, for himself, for his family, and to prove to his brother that he is far from a coward. And Jean needs to see it too, needs to know what might have happened to him.

Before François has time to do more than think the thought, it has begun.

The executioner raises his axe and swings. The axe sails through the air, whistling, until it strikes the Duke's left shoulder with a sickening squelch.

François almost wants to be sick himself, but he knows he can’t, so he merely steels himself. He stands stoic and silent, shoulders set against the horror. By contrast, Jean winces at the blow of the axe, choking off a guttural cry of horror. Now that Jean has broken the silence and is clearly transfixed by the nightmare in front of him, François allows himself the luxury of a brief grimace. However, he says nothing, only turns back to the scaffold as the axe rises high into the air again, comes whistling down again and strikes Lord Nemours’ other shoulder. Both begin spewing blood into the air in great spurts, and François is highly relieved Renee is not watching this. His wife is strong, but a spectacle this gruesome would still undoubtedly send her into early labour.

The axe rises for the third time, higher than ever before, and comes whistling down again, striking the Duke's neck. Alas, much to the consternation of the agonised Duke, his neck is not severed and blood begins spurting from both his mouth and the gaping cut on his neck as the executioner, just sober enough to be aware what a hatchet job he is making of this, gives the whole thing up as a bad job and simply hacks at the gristle in the Duke’s neck, sawing the peer’s head off as though it is little more than a plank of wood.

It falls, with little more than a small thud, into the basket below the block, while blood spurts from the huge holes in the Duke’s corpse. Still writhing, the body is dragged across the yard and out of the brothers’ sight.

Forcing himself to remain calm, François turns to face his brother, gratified to see that, for all his teenage bravado, Jean looks sick to his core after that spectacle.

“That’s what I’m capable of doing to traitors, understand? So count your lucky stars that you’re my brother and get the Hell out of France before I change my mind.”

With that, he jerks his head at Jean’s guards in a motion that is half acknowledgement, half dismissal, and Jean is dragged away, suddenly unresisting now that he knows the full depth of his brother’s fury.

François scarcely manages to wait for Jean to be out of sight before he convulses, throwing up every little thing he’s eaten in the past twenty-four hours.

Last edited:
    Section CXL: October 1536
  • I'm on holiday from Thursday, so wanted to get the rebellion arc squared away before I went: With massive thanks to @Tudorfan for writing the vast majority of this chapter, particularly without me even asking them to!

The Bastille, October 1536

"You have to get me out of here!"

If it wasn't inappropriate, given the gravity of the situation they find themselves in, Claude, Duke of Guise, would burst out laughing at his younger brother’s words.

"Get you out of here?” He snorts, “Quite the opposite! What Antoine and I have to do, brother, is restore the reputation of our family. If we can. It’s going to take us years, if not decades, to undo the damage you’ve wrought on the Lorraine name.”

He holds up a hand before Jean, who is clutching the bars of the door to his cell, can interrupt, and leans in so close that his words, expelling from his mouth in little more than a furious hiss, can be heard by only the two of them alone, "Your actions, the sheer imbecility of you and Nemours, have caused untoward damage. If it wasn't for Queen Renee and Dowager Queen Marie pleading for clemency, the former Lord Milan’s head would be rotting on a spike round about now. I’m still not sure it won’t be, one of these days. I’ve never seen the King so furious.”

He trails off. The less his idiot brother knows, the better.

"Former Lord Milan?"

This time, Claude does laugh. The sound rings round the stone dungeon, sharp, nasty, and mocking. "You didn't really think that the King would allow his brother to retain any of his titles, did you? Milan, titular though it now is, has gone to Lord Angouleme and Lord Jean has been stripped to only his rank of Prince. The declaration came a few hours ago: Lord Jean - and his descendants - are banished from France - on pain of death. They’re not to so much as sail within twenty leagues of any inch of French soil, or else the man who strikes them down will be 100 livres the richer. Monsieur Jean sailed from Bordeaux at Michaelmas, with nothing but his wife and the clothes on his back, under heavy armed guard, on his way to Portugal. He's Queen Margot's problem now."

"And Nemours?"

"He died a fortnight ago. He was beheaded and died at the hands of a drunken executioner. Even that was too good for the traitor, if you ask me. I wanted him boiled alive. King François intended to hang, draw, and quarter him like a commoner, but Queen Renee pleaded her belly and won the day."

"She's-?"

"With child again?" finishes Claude. "Yes. In fact,” he adds triumphantly, “Her Grace gave birth this very morning to a boy with lungs so powerful I’m surprised you can’t hear him in here. Their Majesties have named His Highness Charles, for the brother who remained loyal to them. He’s to be Duke of Orleans, to try and repair the bonds of loyalty that Monsieur Jean so brutally sundered.”

"And me?"

"You’re never getting out of here," says Claude simply, heartlessly, as if stating a mere fact or reading a list off some parchment, rather than telling his brother he’s been sentenced to life imprisonment, “After consulting with His Holiness, King François has consented to leave you alive as an acknowledgement of your status as a Prince of the Church. Much against Queen Renee’s wishes, I might add. She doesn’t feel that your high rank in Rome should be allowed to save you from being killed as befits the traitor you are. Truthfully, I feel Her Majesty has a point. French Clergy is, after all, under the King's command.”

"Claude, get me out of here..." The words are desperate, pleading. Jean doesn’t seem to have taken in a word Claude has said to him.

"Jean," says Claude, using his brother's name for the first time since his arrival. "Your traitorous rebellion against the King because he chose not to pursue Boulogne and Calais, but rather to expand into the New World instead, means that you will only leave this cell when you die. And if you even think about doing anything stupid, then you have my word that I will be the first to join forces with Queen Renee in ensuring that that is sooner rather than later.”

"Brother!"

"Goodbye, Jean."

Claude does not even shed a tear as he turns to join his brother, who, given the circumstances, has abandoned his duties as Duke of Lorraine to come to France and help shore up the family. As a Sovereign Duke, it would be unfitting for Antoine to involve himself too closely with King François’s prisoners, but he has stood guard to make sure they weren’t disturbed. For all Claude tries to project an air of impassivity, however, deep inside, there is a part of him that is desperately struggling to ignore the screams of his little brother. The stupid little brother he wants to enclose in his arms and protect from the world.

"It's done?" Antoine asks - though his tone indicates that it's more of a statement than a question - as the two turn and walk away.

"It is," says Claude.

“How could he have been so stupid?” Antoine can’t help the question that slips from his lips, “He was always the cleverest of all of us. That’s why Papa put him in the Church, and not François or Louis.”

"He was," says Claude, somewhat sharply. Antoine doesn't scold him for his tone - he's probably grieving. "Now, he's just a rot in our family that needs to be quashed before he does any more harm."

Or, perhaps Claude isn't grieving at all. Antoine stops for a moment, turns back to the jail cells, to the shrieking, thin face of the Cardinal of Lorraine – his youngest surviving brother - staring out from the bars.

For a moment, just a small moment, pity stirs in his breast and he considers pleading with the King to release him, or at the very least commute his sentence to house arrest under the care of his family. Jean is used to luxury. He won’t last long in the bitter confines of the Bastille. Then he remembers what Claude had told him about the terror on the Dauphin’s face as he and King Francois had burst into Nantes at the head of an army, half of France behind them and trumpets blaring in triumph. He remembers Guy de Laval’s tales of the triumphant cheers of the Orleanians as he released them from Lord Milan’s tyranny, and King François’s own stories of how he had found Jean in the royal nursery, a knife to the Dauphin’s head. How he had struck the blade out of Antoine’s brother’s hand, allowing Monsieur Anne to race towards his grandmother, the Dowager Queen, his tiny shoulders shaking with terror.

He remembers all of that and every inch of him hardens. Claude is right. Jean isn’t their brother anymore, he’s just a canker on their family tree. A canker that must be burned out before it can spread.

With a nod, he holds the door for Claude, protocol forgotten, and together, the Lorraine brothers leave the Bastille and leave their former brother to his fate.

Blickling, October 1536

“Kate?”

“Yes?” Kate looks up from the smock she is sewing for little Geoffrey as her husband calls her name.

“Do we have plans for Christmas?”

For a moment, irritation surges in Kate. How can George not remember? They talked about this only last week… and the children are so excited to see their cousins!

Then she takes in just how much correspondence her husband is dealing with, over there at his desk in the corner, and softens. No wonder he’s distracted.

“We’re going to Aldenham, to celebrate with Will and Mary. Why?”

“Cancel that. We’re going to Ireland.”

“Ireland?” Now it is Kate’s turn not to understand. Why would they change plans that will bring them all so much pleasure? And come to think of it, why does George sound so shocked and wondering?

“Lord Ross has just written to tell me, that, given the year they’ve had, he feels that he and Nora could both do with a change of scene. He’s made it very clear that he wants us to meet them in Dublin and accompany them to Kilkenny, so that we might all celebrate Christmas there. Oh, and we’re not to say a word to Nora, because apparently it’s to be a surprise.”

Kate’s jaw drops halfway to the floor. The Duke of Ross is bringing Nora to Ireland as a Christmas gift? What on Earth has been going on in Scotland since Princess Mary died?

Stunned though she is, however, Kate wouldn’t have survived twelve years as the Queen of Portugal’s best friend if she hadn’t learnt to take almost anything in her stride where royalty is concerned.

As such, she only needs a moment to collect herself before she can answer George, though her voice is still rather fainter than normal when she does.

“Well. I suppose we’ll be celebrating Christmas at Kilkenny then. But I hope we’ve enough time to acquire a gift suitable for a royal Duke!”

Section CXLI - December 1536
  • Evora, December 1536

“Some days,” Margot sighs, collapsing on to a padded stool with a groan, “I could cheerfully strangle my little brother.”

“Which one?” Joao retorts wryly, “You have three.”

“François,” Margot tips her head back, staring up at the ornate carved ceiling without actually seeing it, “What’s he doing, sending Jean to us? What are we supposed to do with him?”

Joao scoffs, “I should have thought that was obvious, meu doce. We honour him as your brother for a few months, and then, once the weather improves, we send him to Brazil.”

“Brazil?” Margot cocks her head in puzzlement and Joao shrugs, “We’ve been meaning to consolidate the captaincies into one Viceroyalty for a while, haven’t we? Jean will be fifteen next summer, and, the debacle of this year aside, he’s had plenty of experience as a quasi-Viceroy, ruling Milan as he has these three years past. As long as we keep him on a relatively short leash, he could make an excellent Governor General. We’d be foolish not to use him.”

Margot hums in surprise at her husband’s words. Jean their Governor General in Brazil? She hadn’t considered that possibility. However, after a moment, she realises she’s heard far worse ideas. A post as Governor General of Brazil would give Jean honour, and a fair degree of autonomy, as is indeed his right as her brother, but it will also keep him far too far away from Europe to cause any trouble.

“We’d have to send someone with him, someone we trust to keep a close eye on him,” she warns, but she can’t help but relax into Joao’s arms as he wraps them around her from behind. Her husband is more than shrewd, he’s proven that over and over again. Why should this plan of his be any different?”

“Of course, linda,” Joao soothes, “I’m already considering who. I’ll have it all sorted by Candlemas. I promise. But, if I may be candid, I doubt we really need to worry about your brother’s ambition. Not any more. I rather think the death of the Duchess of Valentinois has knocked all the stuffing out of him.”

A habitual surge of anger rises in Margot at the mention of her father’s former mistress, but she tamps it down firmly. It’s already bad enough that the harlot ruined her last few months in France, and Jean’s entire life. She’ll be damned if Lady Isabella will sour Portugal for her as well.

When Joao murmurs, “Don’t fret, meu doce, all will be well,” therefore, and pulls her backwards, deeper into his arms, she goes willingly. Seeking to secure the Succession with a second son is always one of her more pleasurable royal duties. Joao is pious and solemn in public, yes, but that doesn’t stop him from being a diligent and accomplished lover when he chooses to be.

Aachen, December 1536

I see your nephew has sent another 600 colonists to Canada,” Charles remarks offhandedly as he and Marguerite sit at breakfast one morning. Marguerite, who has been stirring her Advent pottage with a grim expression, looks up with no small amount of relief, obviously eager to have an excuse to talk rather than eat.

“Oh? They’ll be members of Jean’s rebellion, no doubt.”

“So my agents tell me,” Charles agrees, skimming the missive he holds with half an eye as he speaks, “And apparently he’s already drawing up plans to send another fleet of ships over in the spring. He really is serious about making the Two Canadas profitable, isn’t he?”

Fourteen years of marriage have attuned Marguerite to every edge in her husband’s voice, and her head, rather more salt than pepper these days, shoots up at his words. Her glossy dark eyes burn into his.

“Let him, Charles. Please. Don’t interfere.”

“Tordesillas divided the New World up between my family and that of Cousin Joao. It says nothing of your brother or your nephew.”

“That’s as may be, but we’ve already run François out of Italy. We’re getting Bruges and Ostend back with little Cecily. We’ll have quite a lot to do, bringing them and Milan back into the fold after all this time. Let François keep the Two Canadas. Let him rebuild his international prestige with a colony. Please. I owe my brother that, at least.”

“You owe your brother’s memory nothing,” Charles snaps, “You’re my Empress now, not a French Princess.”

“But still a Frenchwoman,” Marguerite returns, equally quickly, a coaxing note entering her voice.

“Still a doting aunt, more like,” Charles scoffs, arching an eyebrow.

Still, he isn’t quite as unmoved by the tears shining in Marguerite’s dark eyes as he would have been a few years ago. Not now she’s done her duty and presented him with both an heir and a spare.

When she reaches over and caresses his wrist, therefore, he doesn’t pull away, but lets her plead.

“What harm can the Two Canadas really do to our interests? Cousin Joao’s, yes, they could harm those, I admit, if they really do find a Northwest Passage and another route to the Orient, but to us? We have all of New Spain under our control, all that gold and silver. What harm can my nephew’s northern adventures really do to that? Honestly? Please. Let’s concentrate on re-establishing our control over Milan, Bruges and Ostend, and on preparing Juan to deal with his heretical subjects in Burgundy and leave the Two Canadas to François. We don’t want to overreach ourselves, after all. Look what happened to your great-grandfather when he did that.”

Charles is too proud to openly concede the point, but he knows Marguerite is talking sense, little though he likes it. In then end, therefore, he merely bites the inside of his cheek and mutters something non-committal, before changing the subject. Marguerite can’t press him if he keeps her talking about Cata’s future as Queen of Hungary, after all.

Unbeknownst to Charles, however, Marguerite is hiding an inward smile of triumph. She knew Charles would never agree outright. But the fact that he isn’t saying no is enough to strongly suggest that he will, eventually, say yes. She can live with that. She can more than live with that.

Greenwich, December 1536

Henry’s private chambers are awash with a pleasant hubbub of noise, filled as they are with his four eldest surviving children and their families/companions. On the other side of the fire, Hal is teaching Ned chess, waiting patiently as the uncertain younger boy pores over the board for an age between turns, vacillating between various moves. Lillibet and Peggy are practicing their music in the window seat, their lutes singing the notes of various carols appropriate to the season, while Eliza Brandon plays cards with Cat Willoughby, Kitty Howard and her older brother Harry, who has been included in the party by virtue of being Peggy’s betrothed.

Catherine is away in the nursery, tending to Cecily, Edward and their youngest son, little Charlie, and without their seven-year-old daughter's habitual dark mood to spoil things, the scene is festive and idyllic. It certainly makes a pretty backdrop against which Henry can work on his correspondence.

One particular letter, from his widowed nephew, gives him pause. It appears Alexander and his half-sister, Meg Surrey, are teaming up to endow two chantry chapels in Mary’s honour.

“I must see about doing something for Mary. After all, she was my pearl long before she was ever Lord Alexander’s wife.”

Henry only ever intends to mutter the words to himself. After all, it’s a miracle he’s relaxed enough to say Mary’s name without it catching in his throat, never mind someone overhearing him. However, he misjudges the volume. Hal, glancing round the chamber while waiting for Ned to finish yet another of his interminable turns, overhears him.

The seventeen-year-old can’t help chiming in with a suggestion.

“You could create a new order of chivalry in Mary’s honour, Papa. After all, I’d say she was pretty much England’s ideal Princess, wasn’t she?”

Henry hums, turning the idea over in his head, but, unfortunately for his wish to consider the matter in peace, Hal’s words fall into one of the natural lulls in conversation that sometimes happen in a room full of people.

Enthusiasm fired, Lillibet jumps to her feet, black hair swinging. Her lute is tossed aside carelessly as she dashes to Henry’s side, and only Cat’s quick reflexes save it from being dashed against the floor and broken irreparably.

“Oh, yes, Papa! That’s a wonderful idea! It doesn’t need to be as important as the Garter, of course, but it could rank above the Bath, couldn’t it? We could celebrate it on Mary’s birthday, and you could have yourself and 20 other members at any one time. One for every year of Mary’s life. Ten knights and ten ladies. Oh, please, Papa, please!”

Lillibet’s eyes shine as she drapes herself over the back of Henry’s chair, peering down at him beseechingly.

Henry’s jaw works for a moment as he looks from Hal to Lillibet and back again, wondering how in Heaven’s Name he got himself into this situation from just one absent-minded comment.

Before he can respond to Lillibet’s impassioned plea, however, twelve-year-old Ned snorts derisively.

“Ladies?! Don’t be silly! Ladies can’t be members of an order of chivalry. They’re not allowed to be Knights.”

Lillibet whips her head round, fixing her younger half-brother with a glare that is far too mature for her age, decidedly unimpressed with his ignorance.

“There have been Ladies of the Garter since the days of Edward III, just years after its conception,” she snaps, her tone strongly reminiscent of the regal Duchess she will one day be. “Our own great-grandmother was one. Papa can include Ladies in the founding members if he wants. And you will, won’t you, Papa? I want to be one in Mary’s honour, and I’m sure Peggy and Eliza do as well. And Cousin Meg.”

“Not to mention Princess Katherine and Mary’s own daughters,” Hal chimes in, before Henry can respond.

That gives him pause. He has never seen Hal and Lillibet work in such concert before. This kind of unity was something that Hal normally only achieved with Mary.

The memory of the two of them working together, just before Mary went to Scotland, persuading him to allow Lillibet to have some companions, rises unbidden, filling him with a bittersweet warmth. How well his two eldest had gotten along, once they were both of age and not kept apart by Katherine’s hang-ups about Mary’s status as a Princess and how she shouldn’t mix with misbegotten bastards.

Perhaps the memory rising is why he finds himself saying, “What would you have me call this order, then, since you seem to have everything else planned out already?”

“The Order of The White Rose,” Hal replies quietly, after hesitating for a moment or two. Henry’s eyebrows shoot up.

“The White Rose? That’s a Yorkist symbol, lad. I won’t… I can’t…”

“It is also the symbol of the Virgin Mary,” Hal returns, his quiet voice firm as velvet, “Was my darling sister not named for the Queen of Heaven?”

Hal has him there. Henry can’t dispute that. Not really. Not when Katherine’s piety and frequent prayers to the Virgin for a living child are so well known. Oh, he could argue that Mary was named for her two namesake aunts, but they were both named for the Virgin, so that wouldn’t really help his cause.

Like any sportsman, Henry adores winning. He’ll do anything to try to secure his goal. But, again, like any true sportsman, he also knows when he is beaten.

He sighs.

“I have never been able to resist you anything, lad, particularly not when you work together with your sisters. I’ll speak to More and have him draw up the papers in the morning.”

Lillbet’s unladylike whoop of joy can be heard three rooms away.

Section CXLII: January 1537
  • Kilkenny, January 1537

Nora wakes on the morning of Twelfth Night to find Kate bustling around her bedchamber and a beautiful gown of sea-green velvet laid out on her clothes press. She’s never seen it before, and, when pressed, Kate only laughs.

“Lord Ross had it sent up for you this morning. He told me to make sure you were dressed in your best and then bring you down to the chapel immediately.”

“Immediately?!” Nora flushes, throwing back the bedclothes and snatching up her hairbrush, “I’m not late for Mass, am I? And on Twelfth Night too!”

“Not at all,” Kate laughs, a secretive, excited light entering her eyes, “Believe me, Nora, we’re not going to start without you. Today of all days, we’re not starting without you.”

For all Kate’s statements that they need to be down in Kilkenny Castle’s chapel as soon as possible, she takes an inordinate amount of care with Nora’s toilette, pinkening her cheeks with crushed rose petals, weaving a net of emerald chips into her curly blonde hair and crowning the whole ensemble with a crown of bright holly and rosemary.

“Why, Kate, anyone would think you were dressing me for my wedding, not Twelfth Night mass,” Nora teases, as her sister-in-law fluffs out her curls for what must be the tenth time, still not satisfied with how they tumble to the younger woman’s waist.

To her surprise, Kate flushes scarlet. Nora’s jaw drops open.

“Are you? You’re – You’re not really, are you?!”

“It’s – it’s your Twelfth Night gift!”

Straightforward, outspoken Kate has always found it hard to keep secrets from those who know her best, for all she can play the consummate courtier with ease in public, and, faced with Nora’s dark Boleyn stare, which is so like her older brother’s, she can’t keep the words inside any longer, not when they’re going to bring the younger woman such joy, “George and Lord Ross have been plotting this for weeks. I wasn’t supposed to say anything until we reached the chapel, but since you’ve asked me outright…Jamie’s confessor is waiting at the chapel to wed you and Lord Ross before the entire household. You’ll be a Duchess before we break our fast.”

“And I shall be a happy one!” Nora breathes, jumping up to throw her arms around Kate, “Oh, I shall be so happy! Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

“Don’t thank me, thank your brother and your husband,” Kate laughs, but she can’t help dropping the lightest of kisses on Nora’s forehead before she takes her by the hand and leads her, still blinking with delight, to Kilkenny Castle’s chapel.

George, darkly handsome in a doublet of forest green brocade laced with silver, meets them at the chapel door. Nora rakes him with her eyes, searching him for any hint of insincerity.

“Is this really happening?” she asks, voice sparkling with disbelieving joy, “George, is this really happening?”

George glances from her radiant excitement to Kate, half a pace behind her. In an instant, he knows.

“You told her, didn’t you?” he sighs exasperatedly. Kate throws her hands up in protest.

“You know I can’t keep a secret from any of you! I’ll have you know that the Boleyn stare works just as well in sapphire as it does in onyx! She guessed as soon as I started fussing with her hair!”

George shakes his head, “Kate, I gave you one job!”

A moment later, however, he looks back at Nora and decides it doesn’t matter. Surprise or not, his little sister is still marrying the man she adores beyond all reason. Her reputation is still being restored, at long, long last. That’s what really matters.

He places Nora’s hand on his arm.

“It’s happening, little sister,” he promises, “It’s really happening. Are you ready to outrank every one of us? Papa is going to have kittens when he hears what a coup we’ve pulled off this morning."

Nora throws her head back laughing at that, and George has never heard a sweeter sound. The musical notes ringing in his ears, he leads his baby sister into the chapel for her wedding mass.

“She looks stunning.”

It is the only thought that goes through Sawney’s mind as he sees Nora coming up the aisle towards him, her slender fingers tight on George’s arm. The sea-green velvet suits her down the ground, as he always knew it would, and her face is so bright with joy that he fancies you could probably light the whole of the castle with it.

In that instant, knowing it is only right, he whips his cap of amber velvet from his head, and clasps it to his chest in respect, letting the weak December sunlight play among his sleek dark hair.

“My darling Nora,” he breathes, taking her from George and kissing her hand, bowing to her and beaming up at her as he does so.

The look they share in that moment – as her sapphire eyes meet his blue-grey ones – is so full of love, it is as though they are the only two in the room. George has to cough slightly to recall them to where they are, lest the smouldering look they are giving each other burst into flame and they anticipate their vows before the poor confessor’s very eyes.

Then he steps back to take his place in the front pew beside Kate as Jamie’s confessor begins to intone the vows.

"Do you, Alexander, Duke of Ross, take this woman, Mistress Eleanor Boleyn, to be your lawful wedded wife; to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer, for poorer and for better or for worse, until death do you part? Do you vow to love her and cherish her and to forsake all other women for her, now and forever, as long as you both shall live?"

Sawney glances at Nora, feeling the look on his face should really speak as answer enough, but knowing he has to answer aloud for the vows to truly hold. She returns his smile, her sapphire eyes sparkling through the mesh of her silver veil. "I do so solemnly swear."

Pleased with his answer, the priest nods, and turns to Nora, who silently tightens her hand on Sawney’s as she waits to be asked.

"And do you, Mistress Eleanor Boleyn, take this man, Alexander, Duke of Ross, to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer, for poorer and for better or for worse, until death do you part? Do you swear to love him and cherish him and to forsake all other men for him, now and forever, as long as you both shall live?"

Nora's voice rings the rafters of Kilkenny as she says, "I do so solemnly swear."

At Nora's words, her little nieces, Bess and Annie, step forward, each clutching a silken cushion bearing a diamond and ruby ring as though their lives depend upon it.

Too excited to wait any longer, Nora beams down at her younger niece and plucks the trinket off the cushion, sliding it on to Sawney’s finger before anyone can do more than gasp at her breach of propriety in not letting the royal Duke go first.

"With this ring, I thee wed."

Chuckling at his soon-to-be wife's swift actions, Sawney inclines his head to little Bess, silently thanking her, then gently encloses Nora's hand in his once more, looking her straight in the eyes as he murmurs, "Nora Boleyn, with this ring, I thee wed."

Nora can’t wait any longer. Scorning propriety, she throws back her veil and the confessor has to almost gabble his permission for Sawney to kiss her if he is to regain any control of the situation.

Laughter and applause ring the rafters as their lips meet and Sawney smiles into the kiss, his heart melting in his chest as he feels Nora do the same.

“Well, My Lady Ross? How do you like this?” he whispers, in that brief moment before they turn from the altar to process back down out of the chapel.

Nora beams up at him, her hand sliding up to his cheek.

“I like it very well indeed, husband.”

Section CXLIII: February 1537
  • Richmond, February 1537

George Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury watches carefully as the new Knights and Ladies of the White Rose assemble in the Great Hall at Richmond. His granddaughter, Lillibet, is at the head of the ten women, escorted by the Howard heir, Lord Surrey. They make a striking pair, their rich robes of silver velvet gleaming against their dark hair and the matching feathered caps pinned with badges of blue and white enamel, the rose of the Virgin picked out against a background of Ross blue. Livery collars of mother of pearl and sapphire rest on their narrow shoulders, emphasising the fact that, as much as this is an honour, to be among the inaugural Knights and Ladies of the White Rose is also a responsibility. The Order of The White Rose is to be an order of service, as befits one devoted to the memory of the ever-dutiful Duchess of Ross.

Behind Lillibet and Henry Howard stand the Dowager Princess of Wales and Lord Somerset.

The look on Princess Katherine’s face is priceless, and, despite the solemnity of the occasion, George wishes he could pay a painter to capture her expression, torn as it is between wanting to honour her dear departed daughter as she deserves and rank distaste that her former husband has chosen to partner her with his eldest bastard for the occasion.

Behind the Dowager Princess stands Lady Surrey, Lord Derby at her side. Seven other pairs of largely young nobles fan out behind them, all eagerly awaiting their investiture. The only one missing from the splendid tableau is the Duke of Suffolk, and his absence is soon explained, for the Garter King of Arms blows his trumpet, calling the room to order.

The Great Hall’s doors swing open to hushed, expectant, silence and Lord Suffolk processes down the Hall, his namesake godson in his arms.

Charles, or Charlie, as his family generally call him, has his mother’s dark hair and his father’s vitality. He wriggles frustratedly in Lord Suffolk’s arms, pouting and kicking out his plump little legs.

Watching from the dais, Henry chuckles at the toddler’s antics. He’s a lively one, all right, and, if the nurses’ reports are anything to go by, two-and-a-quarter year old Edward is just as rambunctious. The Succession is safe on their shoulders. Safe at last.

Exchanging a wry smile with Brandon, who has wrangled his fair share of wriggling children over the years, he comes down the dais to join them and urges Charlie to stop and look at him for a moment.

The thirteen-month-old obliges, crowing with delight at having his Papa’s full attention.

“Lord Charles Tudor, it is His Majesty’s great sovereign pleasure, on this, the eighteenth day of February, anno domini 1537, to create thee Duke of York and Boulogne, the titles to be held in perpetuity by your lawful heirs male.”

The words ring through the room, Henry’s pride evident in every syllable. His blue eyes shine as he speaks, and it is only too obvious that he can’t wait to repeat the affair in Wales in just under five years’ time, when Prince Edward will have reached the age of reason and be old enough to swear fealty and be created Prince of Wales.

Charlie, however, is blind to the subtleties of the event and merely crows with delight as his Papa lifts him into the air and everyone claps.

“Mama!” he chirps, stretching out his arms for Catherine, who is seated on her throne behind Henry.

There is a collective gasp, for it is the new Duke’s first public word.

Catherine’s eyes light up, and she takes her son on her knee, showering him in kisses and bouncing him lightly. She beams up at Henry as he grins at her before turning back to Lillibet and Henry Howard, gesturing to them to kneel on the pair of blue silk cushions before him.

“My Lady Elizabeth, my Lord Surrey, do you both swear to honour your God, your sovereign and the Virgin, to love mercy and justice, and to defend the weak and motherless, for all the term of your natural lives, taking always as your guide the shining examples of the Virgin and the late Duchess of Ross?”

Henry Howard promises so at once, his whisper all but overawed by the occasion, but Lillibet lifts her head before she speaks. It is against protocol, she knows, but she wants her Papa to know just how serious she is about this.

“As God, Mary and the Virgin are my witness, I do so solemnly swear,” she promises, her strong, high, voice echoing off the vaulted ceiling as she pitches it just so.

Despite his efforts to keep a straight face, Papa can’t help but chuckle as he helps her to her feet and pins a beautiful brooch on to her gown, one that echoes her hat badge. It is the Lion of Ross quartered with the White Rose of the Virgin

“Well, no one can doubt your sincerity, can they, my darling rose?” he murmurs, kissing the top of her head and waving her to the padded stool beside her lady mother.

Lillibet does as she’s told, tickling Charlie’s little hand as he waves it in the air, swelling with pride to be the first Lady of the White Rose.

Coldharbour, February 1537

Diane hums softly to herself as she flicks through her morning correspondence. A letter from the Dowager Countess of St Pol catches her eye, and she pauses, breaking the seal with a practised flick of her thumbnail.

The message inside, however, stops her in her tracks. Indeed, she has to sit down and read the letter a good handful of times before she fully believes it.

Little Nora Boleyn has wed the Duke of Ross at Kilkenny Castle, and the Dowager Countess of St Pol, who has been told by the new bride, is seeking Diane’s help in breaking the news to Henry, as and when the newly-weds choose to go public with their announcement.

Henry, Mary’s doting father.

Henry, who only yesterday created a whole new Order of Service in his beloved daughter’s honour.

Henry, who is, quite understandably, going to be furious. Alexander is scarcely out of formal mourning for Mary, and he’s already taking a new bride in her stead? One who looks eerily like her? Rumours are going to be flying, there’s no doubt about that. Diane only hopes the new Lord and Lady Ross have thought this one through.

On the other hand, however…

Even as Diane sifts the news in her head, weighing up Henry’s likely reaction, another thought crosses her mind.

The Boleyns are already tied to French Princes of the Blood through the Dowager Countess of St Pol, and this marriage now links them to the heir presumptive to the Scottish throne. And George Boleyn has an heir. His eldest son, James, who, per Henry’s 1521 Act of Parliament, stands to inherit his maternal grandfather’s Earldom of Ormonde once the old Earl shuffles off the mortal coil. With his aunts Lady Carey, the Dowager Countess of St Pol and the Duchess of Ross respectively, and his uncle by marriage Baron Parr of Kendal, twelve-year-old James will one day be one of the best-connected Earls in Christendom. Any girl would be proud to be his Countess. Even one with royal blood flowing in her veins.

And Henry did say that he’d be pleased to see Diana marry into Ireland…

True, the age gap is a little worrying. Diana isn’t yet four, while James is almost a man grown, but then, there’s nothing wrong with being a younger bride. Indeed, it can often be a good thing. There’s less pressure on the girl to have a child, and men are often more indulgent of wives significantly younger than themselves. Diane knows that only too well. Louis was nearly old enough to be her grandfather, and yet they rubbed along happily enough until Queen Marie sent her to England and Henry.

Heavens, even Henry is a full nine years older than her, exactly the same gap as young James and their darling Diana, and look how happy they’ve been together.

Yes,” Diane decides, reaching for a quill and some ink, “There’s no harm in my at least asking the question…and if I know Lord Rochford at all, he’ll consider the match an eminently sensible one.”

Section CXLIV: Easter 1537
  • Falkland, Easter 1537

James would never dare admit it to anyone, not even Louise, but he is more than a little relieved when Sawney writes to accept his invitation to Court for Easter. His younger brother has been acting most strangely since Cousin Mary’s death, disappearing off the face of the earth for weeks on end, even as his son and daughters blossom and thrive in the nursery at Dingwall. He didn’t even come to Court for Christmas, for heavens’ sake, and they’ve never not celebrated Christmas together, not in all the years that they’ve both been on God’s Earth.

So, yes, Sawney agreeing to come to Court for Easter, eleven months after his bereavement, is the first sign that things are beginning to return to normal.

Or so James thinks when he first reads his brother’s letter. As it happens, events don’t quite transpire that way.

They are holding Court on Palm Sunday, Louise resplendent in peacock blue silk at his side. The deep hue sets her rich black hair off beautifully and James can scarcely ever remember being so proud of her. The pretty child he met four years ago has blossomed into a beautiful, witty woman, and grand occasions like this bring out the best in her. Today is no exception; the young Queen is in a lively mood, muttering wisecracks under her breath every other minute or so – sarcastic japes that rather undercut the solemnity of the occasion. One particularly sharp jab at her Chief Lady of the Bedchamber, who still has a tendency to treat her like a child, tickles James, and he glances across at her amusedly.

“Sheathe your claws, kitten,” he chuckles, “Leopards are the English heraldic badge, not ours.”

Louise’s face clouds momentarily at the mention of the hated English, before she peeps up at him, fluttering her eyelashes as though butter wouldn’t melt in her mouth. James bellows with laughter, rocking back in his throne with mirth, asking himself, yet again, how he got so lucky as to have this raven-headed biting wit for his wife. As a boy, he’d always resented the fact that Sawney got to marry the older and fairer of their female cousins, while he was stuck with the dark baby of a French Princess, but now that he actually knows Louise, and now that she’s matured into her looks, he’d challenge any woman in Scotland and the Isles to try to hold a candle to her.

Leaning over, he controls himself enough to tuck a wayward curl behind her ear, although he can’t quite resist the urge to nibble at the appendage playfully, just the way he knows she likes.

Louise lets out a rather gratifying ‘oooo’ at his actions, but before James can dismiss the Court and explore that thought any further – they’ve never had sex in the Great Hall before – there is a strident blast on his herald’s trumpet, calling those present to attention in the way the officials only do when a particularly important personage arrives.

Stifling a groan, James straightens dutifully, squeezing Louise’s hand in apology, only to see his brother striding down the hall towards him.

His heart leaps and he jumps to his feet before he fully knows what he’s doing.

A moment later, his brain catches up with his eyes and he freezes, arms akimbo to embrace his brother.

Nora Boleyn is at Sawney’s side, glittering in amber brocade with the Lion of Ross picked out in silver embroidery. Her slender hand rests confidently on Sawney’s forearm, and a delicate silver circlet gleams on her high forehead.

What’s she -”

Before James can finish the startled thought, the herald announces in ringing tones, “Their Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Ross!”

James’s jaw drops open.

Section CXLV: April 1537
  • Falkland, April 1537

“You cannot marry Mistress Eleanor!”

The door has scarcely swung shut on James’s bedchamber before he is rounding on his brother, apoplectic with fury.

Sawney, darker and cooler-tempered, if rather more exuberant, than his older brother, merely arches a sardonic eyebrow in the face of James’s screaming rage.

“Can’t I, brother? I quite believed I already had.”

“A secret wedding, full of skulduggery before some drunk, half-blind priest?! That won’t cut it for the heir to Scotland! You need my permission to wed, and I can assure you, I’m not giving it!”

“Actually,” Sawney retaliates, leaning his weight back on one leg, “I don’t. I’m your brother, not your son. You don’t control me the way you would a Duke of Rothesay. I only needed your permission to wed if I sought to marry while I was underage. I turned twenty-one two years ago, meaning that, whichever yardstick you use, I’m of age and of sound mind, as is Nora. As such, by the laws of the Holy Mother Church, all we need to do for our wedding to be considered valid is to exchange vows in the present tense before witnesses and then consummate said vows. We said our vows on the morning of Twelfth Night, in the presence of Sir George and Lady Katheryn Boleyn and all their retainers at Kilkenny Castle. James Boleyn’s confessor himself oversaw our vows. I assure you, there was nothing secret about this wedding. As for consummation, well, I’m your brother, Jamie. You know me. Do you really think I’d leave my marital duties undone for a full four months?”

“I’ll not stand for it! I’ll petition the Holy Father to have the match annulled! It’s an insult to Cousin Mary’s memory that you should wed her maid before her year mind has even passed – before she even lies in her final resting place!”

“Oh, that’s rich! As if you ever really cared about upholding Mary’s honour! You let Louise scorn and belittle her at every turn, just because of who her father was! Why does Mary’s honour suddenly mean that much more to you, just because she’s dead?”

“Louise is my wife! Of course I’d take her side!” James rears back from his brother’s sharp words in shock. They haven’t fought like this in years, not since they were old enough to understand their relative positions as King and subject as much as brothers. Ever since then, the generally mild-mannered Sawney has always done whatever he can to stop any disagreement from going beyond a minor quarrel.

Now, though, the younger man has the fury of righteousness coursing through his veins and the bit between his teeth. Sensing his brother’s discomfort, he goes for the jugular.

“And Mary was mine! Mary was my wife, not yours, Jamie! I knew her and loved her in a way you never did, for all she was your hostess for four years!”

“I know that, but that just makes your betrayal -”

“Mary asked me to marry Nora!”

The words fall into the rage-filled room like stones into a well. James starts visibly and Alexander pauses, struggling to get a hold of himself.

“Mary asked me to marry Nora,” he repeats, breathing hard, dredging the painful truth up from the most private parts of himself, praying that, if he lays himself bare, it will be enough to make his beloved older brother understand.

“After she’d given birth to Mary Katherine, when we knew there was nothing more the midwives could do for her, she lay in my arms and she asked me to marry Nora, so that I might have a good and faithful wife, and our children might have a loving stepmother. It was the last thing I ever promised her. So, I’m sorry, Jamie, but I’ll marry Nora, come what may. Throw whatever you will at me – at us – but I will marry her in spite of it all. She’s the only second Duchess I’ll ever accept. Because she’s the one Mary chose for me.”

To his horror, Alexander hears his voice crack. He hurriedly turns away from his brother, so that Jamie won’t see the tears that are threatening to fall.

An awful silence permeates the room. James watches his brother’s back, digesting the heartfelt revelation.

“Don’t take her to Birgham,” he says heavily, when the words finally come, “Aunt Katherine will be there, Meg will be there. It’s going to be emotional enough without the salt of your remarriage being rubbed into the wounds. So leave Nora at home while you honour Mary one last time. But if you promise me that, then I’ll support you. I’ll back your marriage against our sister’s fury and against Uncle Henry’s. I’ll even back you against Louise. She’s not going to like having to acknowledge a nameless miss as her sister.”

James tries for humour, nodding teasingly towards his young wife’s pride, but the joke falls flat, for Sawney, who usually jumps right in on this kind of thing, is in no mood to respond.

James waits for a few moments, but when the younger man still says nothing, neither in agreement nor discord, he steps over and places a gentle hand against the younger man’s back.

“Sawney. I need an answer from you. Do we have a deal?”

There is a long silence. Then Sawney swallows hard, Adam’s apple bobbing visibly, and nods.

Section CXLVI: May 1537
  • Dingwall, May 1537

“Sawney!” Nora spits her husband’s name out in what is all too clearly a mixture of hurt, anger, and betrayal, “Mary was my oldest and closest friend. Christ, she was practically my sister. How can you possibly ask me to stay behind?”

“Nora, please…” Alexander holds out a hand to her, feeling a lump come to his own throat as Nora faces him down, her bright blue eyes swimming with tears.

As he reaches for her, she swings back away from him, shaking her head.

“I’m your Duchess. I was Mary’s closest friend. What’s it going to look like if I’m not at your side to bury her?”

Her voice breaks, and Alexander’s heart twists as he steels himself to say the words he has not yet brought himself to tell her.

“James doesn’t want you there. He thinks it’ll be too much of a slight to Aunt Katherine and Cousin Meg if we rub our marriage in their faces at this, of all things. Too much of a slight to Mary. You don’t want that, do you? You don’t want people denying you ever really loved Mary, seeing you as nothing but a harlot I've wed for the sake of nothing but rampant lust? Surely?”

Nora blanches at Alexander’s words, but sets her jaw, choking back the sobs that threaten to swallow her whole.

“I want to be there when you bury my sister. And if you love me at all, you’d understand that. You’d fight James for me. You’d fight the whole damn Court to let me be there.”

“I will take you myself.” The words come out, heavy with the finality of a promise, “I will take you to Birgham and to Carham. When all the pomp is over, when the dust has settled, I will take you to Birgham and to Carham. You will get your chance to say goodbye to Mary. But Jamie made it very clear. You are not to be there for Mary’s formal reburial. It was the price I had to pay, to get him to agree to our marriage. To get him to support us against Uncle Henry and Cousin Louise. So, please, darling. I know your heart is breaking at the thought of not being there, but can you just…”

“We don’t need their support! We’re both of age, we said our vows before witnesses. There’s not a ground on either Heaven or Earth they could use to annul our marriage, and we both know it. In our heart of hearts, we both know we’re in the right. I can’t believe you let Jamie guilt you into making me stay behind!”

Nora whirls on her heel before Alexander can even begin to fathom a response to that. She races for the door, fumbling the handle in her haste. Alexander steps towards her, but as his shadow moves, she throws a glare of poison over her shoulder, freezing him in place.

Mary would want me there. You know she would.”

And then she is gone, her pattens pounding on the flagstoned floor of the passage. Her tortured sobs echo through Dingwall for hours to come.

Birgham, May 1537

Trumpets blare, horses neigh, dogs bark, startled by the snapping of the banners of Ross, Wales, Tudor and Surrey in the brisk May breeze. Like any great state occasion, the meeting of the Duke of Ross, heir to Scotland, the Dowager Princess of Wales and the Countess of Surrey is a maelstrom, teetering between organised chaos and solemn pageantry depending on the moment.

Katherine’s litter draws to a grave halt and Alexander bows crisply, stepping up and holding out a hand to help the older woman down.

“Aunt Katherine,” he greets, infusing his voice with as much warmth as he can muster, given the significance of the occasion.

Katherine, too, knows this is not a day to rake over old hurts and political grievances. This is a day to show unity, to come together in honour of her beloved daughter. She nods solemnly in return, echoing Alexander’s greeting.

“Lord Ross. Nephew. How kind of you to greet me yourself.”

She places her hand in Alexander’s, leaning heavily on him as she alights. Far more heavily than she did during the celebrations for his and Mary’s wedding seven years ago. Alerted by it, Alexander appraises her discreetly.

His aunt Katherine is old, he realises. Old and worn down by grief and pain. Her once bright auburn hair is thin and as silver as a newly-minted shilling. Her face is puffy and etched with creases that are more like crevices than creases. Only her eyes, small almond-shaped sapphires, still glint with the same mix of pride and responsibility that he remembers. He saw the same light in her daughter’s eyes a thousand times.

In that instant, Alexander realises just how much it has cost the older woman to make this journey. A surge of affection fills him.

“Thank you,” he breathes sincerely, bending almost double to kiss her cheek, “Thank you for being here.”

“I would never have dreamed of being anywhere else,” Katherine answers equally softly, the strength in her voice belying her years, even as the broadness of her natal accent betrays the depth of her emotion.

Recognising how close Katherine is to breaking, but knowing it will embarrass her terribly if he draws attention to it, Alexander lets a moment pass, allowing his aunt to collect herself, before pressing her hand to his arm.

“Come. I have some people I want you to meet.”

Without any other word of explanation, he steers Katherine through the crowd, to a sheltered spot behind the rows of pavilions, which is acting as something of an oasis of calm amongst the chaos. It is there he has left his children, trusting their nurses to keep them safe and ready to meet their grandmother.

Katherine’s breath catches in her throat as she realises why Alexander has brought her here, and, for a moment, the two of them simply stand and take in the scene in front of them.

Bobby and Maggie are deeply engrossed in a game involving sticks and stones on the ground. They are crouched close together, Bobby’s fair curls brushing Maggie’s hood of pale green silk as they draw in the dirt intently, chattering like magpies to one another in that strange language they seem to share, the one no one else understands.

Several feet away, little Mary Katherine, a week away from her first birthday and newly tottering about on her own two feet, stumbles through the grass, picking wildflowers under the careful gaze of a doting nursemaid.

The sun glints off her golden hair, and Alexander chuckles affectionately.

“Little minx. We cannot get her to wear a cap. She screams all of Dingwall down if we try.”

“My sister Juana was the same,” Katherine laughs lightly, “She drove all our nurses to distraction, particularly when Maria and I tried to copy her.”

Alexander is about to respond, but, just then, Bobby glances up and sees them.

“Papa!” he cries, dropping his game instantly.

He runs to Alexander, who catches him, pretending to stagger under his weight. Little Bobby squeals with laughter and Katherine watches on, her heart melting. It’s been far too long since she heard a little one crow with such innocent delight.

“He’s grown so much since the last portrait you sent me,” she murmurs, and Alexander turns to her.

“Well, it’s been nearly a year. I’ll have another one painted for you before the summer is out,” he promises, before tapping Bobby on the cheek to get his attention.

“Bobby, this is your Grandmother Katherine. Can you say hello to her for me, the way Mama Mary would want you to?”

“Pweased to ‘eet oo, Gwand’a Kathwin. Welcome to Scotwand,” Bobby lisps obediently, bowing carefully and solemnly from his father’s arms.

Knowing how important this moment will be for the little boy, Katherine does her best to hide her mirth at his adorable lisp and nods back gravely.

“And I’m pleased to meet you, Robert. Thank you for greeting me so nicely. You’re growing into a fine boy, aren’t you? Your Mama Mary would be very proud.”

The solemnity of the occasion dissolves in an instant, as the three-year-old scowls blackly, kicking out at Katherine angrily.

“I Bobby, not Wobet! ‘a’a ‘Ary and ‘a’a Nowa both call ‘ee Bobby!”

“Bobby!” Alexander scolds sharply, horrified that Bobby should try to kick his grandmother on their first meeting. However, before he can get any further, little Mary Katherine toddles over.

Cossetted beyond belief as the delicate baby of the Scottish nursery, the eleven-month-old doesn’t even consider for a moment that she might not be welcome in Katherine’s embrace. She simply tugs sharply on Katherine’s black and gold brocade skirts, and holds her arms up imperiously, demanding a cuddle. Katherine glances down, into Mary Katherine’s big dark eyes, and gasps.

“Maria…” The word escapes her involuntarily, and Alexander places his hand on her back.

“She’s her mother in miniature, isn’t she?” he says softly, “Not her eyes, those are Stewart to the core, but other than that…”

He trails off, stunned by what he’s seeing.

Katherine, proud, imperious Katherine, has fallen to her knees, face buried in Mary Katherine’s blonde curly hair. She is all too obviously weeping as though her heart will break.

Returning to the main point of arrival, Alexander sees his sister alighting from a litter and raises a hand in greeting.

“Sister Meg!”

She is at his side in two strides. Without warning, her hand flies through the air, hitting his cheek with an audible crack.

“That’s for marrying before your year of mourning was over! Mary deserved better than that!” she snarls, pretty face distorted in fury.

No sooner has the storm broken over Alexander’s head, however, than it passes. Even as he reels backward, clutching his cheek, Meg softens, reaching out to pull him into a bone-crushing embrace.

“And that’s for marrying Nora and giving Bobby, Maggie and Mary Katherine the one woman in Scotland I would trust with Mary’s children as their mother. I hope you’ll be very happy together.”

“Well, that went better than expected,” Alexander comments dryly, once he feels safe enough to do so, “You’ve taken the news of my remarriage remarkably well. I thought I’d be in for more of a bollocking than a single slap.”

Meg snorts, “Please, Sawney. Unlike my darling sister-cousin, I am neither blind nor utterly sheltered. You’ve been head over heels for Nora since the very first time you laid eyes on her, when you thought she was Mary. And Nora’s equally besotted with you, bless her. Bollocking you wouldn’t do any good. Just…Just don’t let the children forget their mother, all right? Promise me that. Mary deserves to be remembered.”

“You have my word,” Alexander promises, kissing his sister’s cheek, “Now, would you like to meet the children?”

“Of course I would!” Meg cries, linking her arm comfortably through his in the way that only a sister can, “Indeed, if it wasn’t for the fact that I’m fairly confident they’re with Katherine right now, I’d be mortally offended that you don’t already have them standing in a neat little receiving line for me. I’d have Hal and Mary in the yard to greet you, if you ever bothered to come south to Kenninghall, you know.”

“Aye, but I’m a royal Duke, heir to Scotland. You’re just a Countess,” Alexander teases, and Meg shoves him playfully in retort.

“Give over, will you? You’re only seventeen months older than me!”

Laughing, they weave their way back through the crowd jocularly, seeking Katherine and the children.

Thomas Boleyn watches the Countess of Surrey push her brother and growls under his breath. How dare the hussy forget her place so? She’s become far too bold since Lady Ross died, clearly. If only the King were here – he wouldn’t stand for such nonsense at what is supposed to be a grave occasion.

Speaking of hussies, he has yet to lay eyes on his wayward youngest daughter. Someone said Eleanor wouldn’t be here, that she’d been asked to stay away out of respect for Princess Mary’s memory, but Thomas can’t see that. Lord Ross is clearly mad with lust for her, or he wouldn’t have married her in such indecent haste.

Which means she has to be here somewhere. A man mad with lust won’t be able to go weeks without seeing the object of his desires. Eleanor will be here, even if she is currently keeping an uncharacteristically low profile. He just needs to find her.

And when he does, he’s going to remind her of her duty. Her duty, not to Scotland, or to her husband, or God Forbid, her ‘sister’, Lady Ross.

No, no, no. He’s going to remind her of her duty to the Boleyns and Howards. The one she seems to have forgotten, all the way up here in the barbaric North. Oh, he might have scorned her for playing the whore to Lord Ross, but things are different now. She’s a married woman, a royal Duchess. Her sons will be in line for the throne of Scotland. Her daughters will be Queens.

Girls with Boleyn blood will be Queens, sought after all over Europe as consorts.

As their grandfather, he deserves a higher title than a Viscountcy, surely. Earl of Mar, now, that has a ring to it, even if it is a Scottish title rather than an English one.

Thomas Boleyn, Earl of Mar…

Thomas’s heart speeds up at the mere thought of it. He can almost see the Earl’s coronet glittering in front of him.

But he has to find Eleanor first. He has to find her and inform her that, in light of the great change in her circumstances, he can deign to forgive her for her previous conduct and welcome her back into the bosom of the Boleyn and Howard family.

Shoulders set with determination. Thomas dives into the milling crowd in search of his daughter.

Last edited: