A Green And Pleasant Land

Perhaps have him fall ill then recover. That gives you the chance to steer his personality later, based on his brush with death / months in bed / mild illness / whatever you choose.

VVD0D95

Banned
Perhaps have him fall ill then recover. That gives you the chance to steer his personality later, based on his brush with death / months in bed / mild illness / whatever you choose.

That works for me :). Are there any records on what Alexander, Lord of Mann was like? Haven't been able to find any

Chapter 3: Badenoch

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 3: Badenoch

April, 1284

John knew the meetings were often long and drawn out, but he loved them. He loved politics just as his father had before him. Playing the great game, and ensuring his family was in the most powerful position in the realm behind the King. For four decades, they’d helped shape policy and the way affairs were conducted. True the King might see the Lord of Annandale as a father figure, but Annandale rarely attended council meetings, and Comyn made it his business to remain in Stirling, leaving the affairs of his estates to his wife. Oh, if only he had a daughter of an age with the Prince, then they could have a Comyn as Queen.

He cleared his thoughts and listened as the King spoke. “King Denis is a bold man, that much I shall give him. He offers his sister’s hand in marriage in return for Scotland accepting a trade agreement where there are no taxes on the products, and that we give him prime access to our sea routes.”

The moment John heard that, he knew that the King had doubts. He could see it written in the man’s face. He went to speak, but was cut off by the Steward. “Such a thing is most definitely going to annoy King Eric, Sire, and might even violate the treaty signed with Norway.”

John wanted to shout, the Steward always did this. He would take a good thing and make it go bad, just as he had done with the suggestion John had had for the King’s own second marriage two years ago. John looked at the King and saw him pondering this, he knew now was his time to strike. “It would not violate the treaty, Sire.” The King looked at him and raised an eyebrow, John continued. “The Treaty only spoke of allowing fishing rights to for Norway, nothing to do with trade. Consequently, we can develop the agreement somewhat more.”

“What did you have in mind?” The King asked, and John knew he had him.

“We reply to this proposal with our own terms. Granting access to our ports for Portuguese trade, but also enforcing a reciprocal tax free trade agreement, therefore ensuring that Portugal acquires some of our own produce. They do not have the type of beef or wool that we do, furthermore, they are not in the England and Castile alliance, and do not have direct access to the Flemish circuit. We do, that will be our card.” John said.

“I like that.” The King replied. “Furthermore, Strathearn writes that the King prefers ale and beer to wine, therefore, we can increase our production of that in the monasteries and ensure that we do not go missing there.”

John smiled. “Exactly, Sire. A King who drinks Scottish beer and eats Scottish beef is less likely to want to look elsewhere for anything else. Especially if we then sell Portuguese goods at a rate into England.”

It was at that moment that the Steward spoke again. “I am not so sure of that, Sire.”

“What?” The King asked almost impatiently.

William Fraser, Bishop of St Andrews and Chancellor and an ally to Bruce spoke then. “Sire, if Your Majesty does agree to this trade agreement, you will also be agreeing to an alliance with a man who is constantly at odds with His Holiness, and with his own clergy. It might not send a good message.”

John quickly spoke then. “Sire, we can sort that issue out by sending a delegation to Rome to assure His Holiness that Scotland remains dedicated to the church and that this alliance is merely a matter of business.”

“I am not sure whether that would be enough.” Fraser said. “Other concessions might be demanded.”

John was about to snap when the King spoke. “Then it is your duty to ensure that they are not demanded. Go to Rome and speak with His Holiness, inform him that we are doing our Christian duty by this marriage and that with our trade agreement we would ensure we have eyes and ears in Portugal.”

John was impressed, the King hid his intellect well, behind a blustering exterior, but he was truly a smart man. “A brilliant strategy, Your Majesty.” John said.

The King nodded and said. “Write to Strathearn and tell him we shall accept this proposal but with our terms added on.”

“At once, Sire.” John said making a note of this. He felt taller, he would keep his family in power and push out men like Stewart.

Chapter 4: A Prince's Marriage

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 4: A Prince’s Marriage

June, 1284

Alexander straightened out his shirt and then looked at himself in looking glass and smiled. His blonde hair had been cut short a few days ago, and his beard had been trimmed, his father had insisted on that latter one saying: “You’re not a barbarian.” And so, Alexander had done the deed himself. Marriage, it was a strange thing that, to think he would soon be marrying a woman he had never met before, a woman who didn’t come from the same place as him, and a woman who no doubt shifted expected a great many things from him and a great few things as well.

Alexander had done his duty in that regard, he’d disregarded his mistress Eleanor after he’d learned of his betrothal, he would not shame his wife to be, and as such he’d taken it as a good thing. Eleanor had been a serving girl when they’d first men five years ago, and soon he’d taken her to his bed to have his way and she hers, theirs had been a passionate affair, but she sometimes got on his nerves. She demanded things she had no right to demand and so cutting her off was a boon.

He looked at his friend William, Earl of Ross and smiled. He then moved away from the glass and as the doors opened he made his way down the hallway, through the open garden and into the abbey. The music started playing when he entered, and there were people gathered around, the entirety of the nobility had come it seemed, and he knew there were people outside, the peasants, waiting and watching. He nodded to his father as he walked up to the altar, the man grinned at him. Alexander turned then and waited.

A few moments passed and then his bride to be entered, she wore a dress that really brought out her darker skin, and he nearly gasped as she approached and he got a better view of her. She was stunning, auburn hair, and haunting green eyes. She smiled nervously at him and he returned the favour. They both turned then to face the Bishop and the abbey fell silent.

William Fraser cleared his throat and spoke in perfect Latin. “We are gathered here today to witness the marriage of these two individuals. Their marriage shall seal together the alliance between Scotland and Portugal forevermore, and bring with it many bearings of prosperity. They are to swear their oaths to one another now.”

Alexander looked at his wife to be, smiled and then said. “I, Alexander, Lord of Mann and Prince of Scotland, do hereby take you, Sancha, Princess of Portugal, as my lawful wife. I promise to protect you, to love you, and to serve you with everything that I have, from this day until my last.”

Sancha replied in kind. “I, Sancha, Princess of Portugal, do hereby take you, Alexander, Lord of Mann and Prince of Scotland, as my lawful husband and master. I promise to love you and to serve you with everything that I have from this day until my last.”

With that done, they both turned back to the Bishop and listened as the man said. “Marriage is the most sacred vow a man and woman can make to one another. With their vows complete, these two royal persons are now united together, if there is nobody who believes they should not be married, I shall now with the power invested in me, pronounce you man and wife.”

A cheer rose as Alexander leaned in, removed the veil and kissed his wife quickly on the lips. He pulled back and smiled. He then extended his arm and as his wife took it, they walked out of the abbey together. They said nothing until they got into the carriage that would take them back to the castle properly. When they were in there, Alexander said. “Well that went easier than expected.”

His wife-that still felt slightly odd to say- giggled and replied in slightly broken French. “It was good that it was that easy, I had felt nervous.”

Alexander was not surprised by the admission, but by how open his wife was being. He had not thought that such a thing was possible, his friend William’s own wife was very closed off and apparently only spoke when it came to that time when she wanted a good fucking. Alexander found himself drawn to his wife then. “I…I felt the same.” He replied in French. Then added. “I did not know you spoke French, my lady.”

“Please, call me Sancha, it is my name.” His wife-no- Sancha said. “And I thought it only prudent to learn how to speak the language of the court that I am to be a Princess of.”

Alexander smiled at that. “Well you speak it much better than I do.” He smiled when he heard her laugh, she really did have a brilliant laugh.

Sancha moved a little closer to him then, and he found himself putting an arm around her. “So, tell me, dearest husband, what are these nobles of the Kingdom like?”

“Please, Sancha, if I am to call you by your name, you can call me by mine.” Alexander said.

Sancha looked at him and he found himself very taken by her in that moment, and as she smiled he felt his heart do a strange flip. “Very well, Alexander.”

Alexander grinned, he wanted to kiss Sancha in that moment, but then decided against it and instead he replied. “Well, the main nobles you have to look out for are the men of my father, the King’s council. There’s Lord John Comyn, the man with the flaming red hair, he’s a passionate man and a schemer, he will try and get his wife to be your chief lady in waiting. Then there’s the Steward, he’s a smart man, if somewhat slow on the uptake. Then there’s Durward, he’s an idiot. Then there’s Robert Bruce, Lord of Annandale and his son of the same name who is the Earl of Carrick, Bruce the elder is a good man, he’s someone you should get to know.”

“And his son?” Sancha asked.

“His son is not worth the ground he walks on.” Alexander said simply. He had never liked Carrick and had never understood what his father saw in the man.

“And what of the man who stood at your side during the ceremony?” Sancha asked.

“Ah…” Alexander smiled then. “That is my friend William, he is Earl of Ross. He is a good man and his wife is someone who I think you should meet.”

“Okay, I will keep that in mind.” Sancha replied as the carriage stopped before the entrance to the great hall.

Family Tree for England and Scotland as of 1284

VVD0D95

Banned
If you guys can see it, here's the family tree for England and Scotland as of June, 1284
Family tree ...jpg

If you guys can see it, here's the family tree for England and Scotland as of June, 1284View attachment 469383
It is a little unclear since the zoom is blurry, but I get what you're telling us there. I imagine you have different plans lined up for Prince Alphonso, since his wife on your tree does not appear to be Margaret of Holland, his OTL fiancee before his unexpected death.

If you guys can see it, here's the family tree for England and Scotland as of June, 1284
So it looks like you’re planning on having Alphonso survive and eventually become succeed his father as king; meanwhile, not being the heir, I imagine his brother Edward will be allowed to live without producing heirs of his own (which is good for him - no pressing need to poison his gay lovers TTL). And depending on how the Lancaster line develops, the survival of House Dunkeld continuing means that the kings of Scotland will also be in line for the English throne.

Oh, also - you have Alphonso’s successor listed as “Edward III”, which I imagine was a typo.

Eleanor of England can marry the eldest son of the King of France, since we can keep the IOTL husband of the Queen of Navarre.

VVD0D95

Banned
So it looks like you’re planning on having Alphonso survive and eventually become succeed his father as king; meanwhile, not being the heir, I imagine his brother Edward will be allowed to live without producing heirs of his own (which is good for him - no pressing need to poison his gay lovers TTL). And depending on how the Lancaster line develops, the survival of House Dunkeld continuing means that the kings of Scotland will also be in line for the English throne.

Oh, also - you have Alphonso’s successor listed as “Edward III”, which I imagine was a typo.
Aye that Edward III was a typo thanks for pointing it out
It is a little unclear since the zoom is blurry, but I get what you're telling us there. I imagine you have different plans lined up for Prince Alphonso, since his wife on your tree does not appear to be Margaret of Holland, his OTL fiancee before his unexpected death.
and ahh no she’s still
Marrying him :)

Why not keep her marriage to the count of bar?
Actually, her marriage with Alfonso of Aragon was not consummated because her first husband died before she travelled to Aragon...and the Count of Bar is of Low Prestige, we can marry her instead to Alfonso dela Cerda.

VVD0D95

Banned
Actually, her marriage with Alfonso of Aragon was not consummated because her first husband died before she travelled to Aragon...and the Count of Bar is of Low Prestige, we can marry her instead to Alfonso dela Cerda.

Not sure they'd marry her to a claimant England didn't quite like