A Green And Pleasant Land

Seeing Blanche married to Edward could be interesting assuming of course Phil doesn't pull a fast one
Her OTL betrothals list was confusing, to say the list, but something like this is needed to sort out Gascony crisis of early 1290ies (Isabel may or may not be born by the time it happens). If Blanche goes to England, then Margaret takes her place as Duchess of Austria TTL, and maybe is more lucky than her sister in giving birth.
Married to a pretty woman a couple of years older than him and with normal childhood compared to OTL Edward of Cornwall may lean more on "equally bi" side of sexual orientation. Also maybe a sort of sibling rivalry can occur, when Edward is married to a woman of higher birth than his brother the Earl of Chester/Prince of Wales, who is married to "mere" daughter of Count.

VVD0D95

Banned
Her OTL betrothals list was confusing, to say the list, but something like this is needed to sort out Gascony crisis of early 1290ies (Isabel may or may not be born by the time it happens). If Blanche goes to England, then Margaret takes her place as Duchess of Austria TTL, and maybe is more lucky than her sister in giving birth.
Married to a pretty woman a couple of years older than him and with normal childhood compared to OTL Edward of Cornwall may lean more on "equally bi" side of sexual orientation. Also maybe a sort of sibling rivalry can occur, when Edward is married to a woman of higher birth than his brother the Earl of Chester/Prince of Wales, who is married to "mere" daughter of Count.

Oh, I like that idea, and of course Edward junior did say he wished he'd had an older wife otl, so perhaps this can bring out the best in him

Z case of the son being smarter than the father?
I think it was more of a generational issue. Edward and the elder Philip were of about the same generation, while their fathers were also contemporaries. They would have crusaded together too, Edward was going to join Louis' crusade against Tunis before he died on campaign, so Philip returned home to claim his crown and handle responsibilities. Within a few years, Edward became king himself. Even their respective first wives, Isabella and Eleanor, were daughters of the Spanish superstar warrior kings, Jaime I of Aragon and Fernando III of Castile. Honestly, they probably had a pretty good rapport with one another. That understanding simply didn't exist with Philip the Fair.

VVD0D95

Banned
I think it was more of a generational issue. Edward and the elder Philip were of about the same generation, while their fathers were also contemporaries. They would have crusaded together too, Edward was going to join Louis' crusade against Tunis before he died on campaign, so Philip returned home to claim his crown and handle responsibilities. Within a few years, Edward became king himself. Even their respective first wives, Isabella and Eleanor, were daughters of the Spanish superstar warrior kings, Jaime I of Aragon and Fernando III of Castile. Honestly, they probably had a pretty good rapport with one another. That understanding simply didn't exist with Philip the Fair.

Hmm interesting that is definitely something for me to consider

I wonder if the French court might opt for "divide and conquer solution" - instead of demanding Gascony from England as OTL:
Her third betrothal took place in 1293 and was to the Prince of Wales's father, Edward I of England, who had been widowed three years earlier. Edward broke off his son's betrothal to Blanche after hearing of her beauty and sent emissaries to negotiate the intended union with her half-brother, King Philip IV. Philip agreed to give Blanche to Edward on the following conditions:

1. A truce would be concluded between the two countries; and
  2. Edward would cede the province of Gascony to France.
An offer may be made to make Edward of Cornwall and Blanche the de-jure independent Duke and Duchess of Aquitanie as rulers of Gascony or something like this.

VVD0D95

Banned
I wonder if the French court might opt for "divide and conquer solution" - instead of demanding Gascony from England as OTL:

An offer may be made to make Edward of Cornwall and Blanche the de-jure independent Duke and Duchess of Aquitanie as rulers of Gascony or something like this.

Oh now that would be interesting and definitely something up Phil IV's avenue, though I can see Edward I being suspicous of this and wary of losing a big money maker of England

Fun thing is that Edward I was so smitten with Blanche OTL that he nearly agreed to this. Here, when the match for his son is considered, and he himself is still married, he'll be thinking straight.

I have to imagine it would be Alphonso, the actual heir, who would have been put in charge of Gascony and once he was old enough, possibly even named Duke of Aquitaine, a title the Plantagenet kings up until Edward III had claimed. Edward himself was nominally put in charge of Gascony after his own wedding, but wasn't able to derive any income from it because of Simon de Montfort being the real power there.

Speaking of, I find the English match for Charles de Valois implausible - at least in the setting where Aragonese Crusade happens as OTL or near OTL.
His OTL first match was arranged as sort of compensation for renouncing claims to Aragon, and I think this still would be a case TTL.

VVD0D95

Banned
Speaking of, I find the English match for Charles de Valois implausible - at least in the setting where Aragonese Crusade happens as OTL or near OTL.

Oh? Don't think Edward might take this as a chance to move away from Aragon?

Oh? Don't think Edward might take this as a chance to move away from Aragon?
Charles' father-in-law was tasked with convincing Charles to renounce Aragonese claims, hence the rich dowry of Margaret. I don't think King of Aragon would seek Brits as mediators in the same situation.

VVD0D95

Banned
Charles' father-in-law was tasked with convincing Charles to renounce Aragonese claims, hence the rich dowry of Margaret. I don't think King of Aragon would seek Brits as mediators in the same situation.

Ah this is true
I have to imagine it would be Alphonso, the actual heir, who would have been put in charge of Gascony and once he was old enough, possibly even named Duke of Aquitaine, a title the Plantagenet kings up until Edward III had claimed. Edward himself was nominally put in charge of Gascony after his own wedding, but wasn't able to derive any income from it because of Simon de Montfort being the real power there.

Also true, though Phil might look to make it Edward junior to divide and conquer as Valena said

Chapter 5: Edward's Decisions

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 5: Edward’s Decisions

October, 1284

“Speak.” Edward commanded of the doctor standing before him and his wife. Their son Alphonso lay sleeping on the bed next to them, and their other son Edward was in a cot in the other room, guarded by three of the best men Edward knew.

“Sire, I have examined the Prince and have followed all procedures, the illness that affected him two months’ prior has gone.” The Doctor, a man named Dee said.

“You are sure?” Edward demanded. He had nearly lost another son, Alphonso the boy who promised to be the greatest King of them all.

“I am sure, Sire. Everything I have done and everything I have read indicates that the Prince will live.” The Doctor replied.

“Why did he fall ill?” Eleanor asked, looking between him and the Doctor. “We had followed your instructions and ensured he was kept away from damp environments.”

“I believe it might have been something he ate, my Queen. There are symptoms like this that are quite present in parts of the West coast, which display themselves as a deep sickness. Thankfully it was caught early and the right cures were applied.” The Doctor said.

“How can we make it so that he does not fall ill like this again?” Eleanor demanded.

Edward was about to answer that such a thing would not be possible, that it would be up to God to decide, but the Doctor spoke and surprised him. “Change the sort of food he eats, my Queen, replace certain things with more meat and ensure he gets a good helping of fruits. Oranges would be the best thing. That is all I can suggest.”

Edward rose, Eleanor with him and he opened the door. “Thank you, Doctor. Speak with my chamberlain about payment.”

The doctor bowed his head and said. “Sire, I am doing my duty, I do not require payment.” With that he bowed, straightened and then left.

Edward watched him go and then said to the guards. “Nobody is to disturb us until I say otherwise.

“Yes, Sire.” The guards both said.

Edward closed the door and then hugged Eleanor. “Thank goodness.” Eleanor said into his chest.

Edward pulled back and together they moved into the study which linked the two rooms. “We shall need to decide when to hold the marriage, the Count of Holland was willing to wait until Alphonso was better, but now that he is we must have the marriage as soon as possible.”

Eleanor needed. “The sooner the better, perhaps having it in the next month or two before Michaelmas would be the best.”

“Would that be right?” Edward asked. “The conditions are quite unpredictable at this time of year. We would also need to be back in London by then.”

“The doctor said he was okay to travel, furthermore, they would not need to consummate the marriage immediately, get the ceremony done and made official, then let them get to know one another.” Eleanor said.

Edward smiled at his wife. “As we did.” Those had been some of the most fun times of his life, getting to know Eleanor and getting to know what it was like to fall in love.

“Like we did.” His wife agreed.

They sat in companionable silence for some time after that, Eleanor reading something or the other, and Edward sifting through some documents. His time in Wales had been productive, the rebels were dead, and the Welsh had accepted his authority, some of the lords were also gaining lands in the place, to serve as administrators here. He had toyed with naming his brother by marriage a Welsh lord, but had decided against it, he did not need the King of Scots involved in Wales as well.

Eventually, he broke the silence and said. “I am going to name Alphonso, Prince of Wales. I intend to conduct a ceremony here in Caernarvon before we leave.”

“To show the Welsh that they are official the heir’s people and therefore subject to the crown?” Eleanor asked.

“Yes.” Edward responded, his wife always knew his reasons for doing things, it was one of the things he loved about her.

“A wise move, though perhaps we should wait a week or so before embarking on such a thing. We do not want to strain Alphonso.” Eleanor said.

“Indeed, we can write to the Count of Holland from here, and then make our way through.” Edward surmised.

“What month?” Eleanor asked.

“I think December, allow the Count to see the splendour of London during Michaelmas.” Edward said.

Eleanor smiled. “I think that is perfect.”

Perhaps Pope Martin snuffs it immediately after being elected Pope and someone else gets named who doesn't turn around and excommunicate Aragon in the name of French interests. But that might be too easy a fix here.

Edward was apparently asked to judge a final combat between two teams of knights led respectively by King Peter of Aragon and Charles of Anjou, but declined because he didn't want to oppose the Pope's decision. So what if, by some strange act of diplomacy and common sense, Pope Martin allows the whole matter to be decided by this single combat and authorizes Edward to judge the competition. Peter wins and gains Sicily, no further Aragonese crusade as Peter's excommunication is lifted, Edward's daughter's marriage to Peter's son proceeds as originally planned, and as a further deal to secure peace, Joan of Acre is wed to Charles of Valois, the 2nd son of Philip III.

VVD0D95

Banned
Perhaps Pope Martin snuffs it immediately after being elected Pope and someone else gets named who doesn't turn around and excommunicate Aragon in the name of French interests. But that might be too easy a fix here.

Edward was apparently asked to judge a final combat between two teams of knights led respectively by King Peter of Aragon and Charles of Anjou, but declined because he didn't want to oppose the Pope's decision. So what if, by some strange act of diplomacy and common sense, Pope Martin allows the whole matter to be decided by this single combat and authorizes Edward to judge the competition. Peter wins and gains Sicily, no further Aragonese crusade as Peter's excommunication is lifted, Edward's daughter's marriage to Peter's son proceeds as originally planned, and as a further deal to secure peace, Joan of Acre is wed to Charles of Valois, the 2nd son of Philip III.

Hmm, would this advise need to come from Charles of Anjou do you think? After all Martin was quite reliant and dependent on the man.
@VVD0D95 Ah yes, that last update got me right in the feels.

Aha good. More to come

Hmm, would this advise need to come from Charles of Anjou do you think? After all Martin was quite reliant and dependent on the man.
Charles of Anjou was the one that asked for the duel when Peter was kicking his ass up and down the Italian coast, and Peter had accepted. Perhaps if Charles had received blessing from the Pope to go through with it, citing something so noble and vague as not wanting to spill further Christian blood or somesuch nonsense that he likely didn't really believe, he pretty much creates 50/50 odds for himself in winning. If the Pope turned out to be cool with this, Edward would have probably loved to have been able to judge and arbitrate this competition. This literally solves everyone's problems, asides from France's own interests.

VVD0D95

Banned
Charles of Anjou was the one that asked for the duel when Peter was kicking his ass up and down the Italian coast, and Peter had accepted. Perhaps if Charles had received blessing from the Pope to go through with it, citing something so noble and vague as not wanting to spill further Christian blood or somesuch nonsense that he likely didn't really believe, he pretty much creates 50/50 odds for himself in winning. If the Pope turned out to be cool with this, Edward would have probably loved to have been able to judge and arbitrate this competition. This literally solves everyone's problems, asides from France's own interests.

Oh I like that, and I imagine Phil III would be mightily pissed off

Oh I like that, and I imagine Phil III would be mightily pissed off
Somehow, I feel like something like this would appeal to Philip's chivalric nature. The guy was a fighter at heart, just was never a good politician or diplomat. His son, on the other hand, would have probably thrown a massive fit.

VVD0D95

Banned
Somehow, I feel like something like this would appeal to Philip's chivalric nature. The guy was a fighter at heart, just was never a good politician or diplomat. His son, on the other hand, would have probably thrown a massive fit.

Aha this is true, though I more meant if Peter won Sicily.