A Green And Pleasant Land

Chapter 18: A Concerned Father

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 18: A Concerned Father

May, 1288

Philip looked at the documents before him and sighed. He hated having to look through these things. Long winded letters from nobles and officials complaining about things that would make everyone’s life easier but which they were too lazy to do. Having to explain, threaten and then cajole them into accepting that this was what was needed, and then facing the inevitable fallout when they started attacking him for no good reason. Honestly, some days he wanted to just go on a crusade somewhere. But that too had stalled, and now his son was playing up.

He sighed, and his wife Marie spoke. “What is it, my dear?”

Marie was his companion and his friend, he loved her more than he had Isabella, but he knew some at court did not like her. They ignored them for the most part. “Philippe continues to insist that this marriage between Charles and Joan is nothing more than a way for the English to get their foot into the door. I do not know where he gets these ideas from. No matter how much I explain it, he abhors it.”

His second son Charles, Count of Valois had married Joan of Acre, the daughter of King Edward of England, two months ago, and they were now expecting their first child. Yet, Philippe remained angry and demanded something or the other. “Perhaps he needs to be reminded that peace with England is essential? The nobles will not agree to reforms if there is war.”

Philip nodded. “I know that, and I think on some level he knows that. But for some reason he continues to remain obstinate. I think it is the work of that fool Nogaret, constantly whispering in his ear about this man or that man. I think Philippe is becoming as paranoid as that man.”

“How did Philippe meet this Nogaret?” Marie asked.

“I think Joan introduced them. She met him through some official in Champagne.” Philip responded.

“Perhaps then the solution is simple, non?” Marie replied. “Dismiss Nogaret as is your right and put people in place who are more likely to whisper good things about the marriage to Philippe.”

It seemed so simple, but Philip knew that it was not. Nothing ever was with his firstborn. “I do not think that will work. Philippe is stubborn he will find someone who can serve his interests as soon as I dismiss Nogaret or make clear that that is what I intend to do. But I cannot just let him keep counter acting me, he nearly inspired a revolt from the Count of Eu over something mundane.”

“Perhaps then it would be better to keep him away from Champagne or Paris, keep him somewhere he cannot plan anything solidly, and where he would have to feel like an outsider.” Marie said.

“You mean to send him to Navarre?” Philip asked.

“Yes, his wife is from Navarre, indeed, she is its Queen, it would be better for her to go there now to ensure she understands just what is happening there. If Philippe happens to go there as well, then it is no great loss. Furthermore, you could always bring Charles onto the council and give him the chance to show what he knows.” Marie said.

Philip thought on this. On the one hand it appealed to him, he preferred Charles to Philippe, he understood Charles more than he did his eldest son. Charles was like him in many ways a great soldier and a great extrovert. Philippe was reserved and someone who never said more than one word at a time. Perhaps going to Navarre and being with people different to him would give him a different perspective. “I suppose it could work. After all, Navarre borders Gascony, he could see the importance of keeping the peace.” He paused and then added. “However, he is my heir, and the nobles won’t respond well to this.”

Marie sighed. “There is not much more I can think of. Philippe does not seem like the type of person who would respond well to the criticism. If he has already ignored the repeated attempts to show him why he is wrong. This is the only solution I can think of.”

Philip thought on this for a moment and then said. “No, you are right. My nobles will thank me in years to come when they are not having to pay for expensive wars. I think Philippe shall go to Navarre with his wife. And they shall stay there for a few months.”

His wife smiled. “An excellent idea, my dear.”

Philip nodded. “Thank you.”

Last edited:
I just had a thought about this. Edward's younger brother Edmund Crouchback, the Earl of Leicester and of Lancaster, is married to Queen Joan's mother Blanche of Artois and is her stepfather, so also Phillipe le Bel's stepfather-in-law. He makes for a very useful tool for Edward in keeping an eye on the French, but especially on the Dauphin and his nephew-in-law Charles. He is still fairly wealthy and for a time, his own father was trying to press Edmund's claim to the Sicilian throne, inherited through his mother Eleanor of Provence. Very likely he is probably the lieutenant of Gascony, and possibly an ideal person to be the main English correspondent to Navarre as well. Most importantly, his loyalty to his older brother was never in doubt.

VVD0D95

Banned
I just had a thought about this. Edward's younger brother Edmund Crouchback, the Earl of Leicester and of Lancaster, is married to Queen Joan's mother Blanche of Artois and is her stepfather, so also Phillipe le Bel's stepfather-in-law. He makes for a very useful tool for Edward in keeping an eye on the French, but especially on the Dauphin and his nephew-in-law Charles. He is still fairly wealthy and for a time, his own father was trying to press Edmund's claim to the Sicilian throne, inherited through his mother Eleanor of Provence. Very likely he is probably the lieutenant of Gascony, and possibly an ideal person to be the main English correspondent to Navarre as well. Most importantly, his loyalty to his older brother was never in doubt.

Oh definitely, Edmund's going to be reporting on the heir to the French throne for some time to come. And Philippe's going to be trying to keep his cards close. But that feeling of encirclement between English controlled Gascony on one side and English allied Castile on the other is going to make Navarre somewhat nervous.

VVD0D95

Banned
I know it';s way in the future just now, but would people be interested in seeing what happens if Timur is either stillborn or dies young?

I know it';s way in the future just now, but would people be interested in seeing what happens if Timur is either stillborn or dies young?
I’d lean more towards “no”; there’s enough of a menagerie of historically changed critters puttering about to occupy our attention and alter the ecosystem in interesting ways; no need to turn around and drop an elephant on top of them.

they were not expecting their first child
I take it this should be 'were now expecting'?
Timur is either stillborn or dies young?
Although you could invoke the very strict interpretation of butterflies to kill him off, I don't think it's really necessary for a good story. If you want to tweak things a bit, you could instead just butterfly him being injured in that early raid (so not becoming Timur the Lame / Tamerlane), which could affect how he approaches warfare/conquest/etc afterwards.

VVD0D95

Banned
I take it this should be 'were now expecting'?

Although you could invoke the very strict interpretation of butterflies to kill him off, I don't think it's really necessary for a good story. If you want to tweak things a bit, you could instead just butterfly him being injured in that early raid (so not becoming Timur the Lame / Tamerlane), which could affect how he approaches warfare/conquest/etc afterwards.

It was aha.

And oh that could be quite interesting

Chapter 19: Crouchback

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 19: Crouchback

July, 1288

Bordeaux was hot, very hot for this time of year. It almost made Edmund miss the cooler English weather and even the rain. Almost. There was something about not having to deal with the stench and shit of London that made up for just how damnably hot it was. He took a sip of the wine and looked at the man sat opposite him. The man was Philippe, Prince of France and heir to the throne, and also his wife’s son by marriage. He was an odd fellow, silent for the most part, and with eyes that looked as though they took everything in.

Edmund put his cup down and spoke. “So, how was your journey here, my prince?”

Philippe said nothing for a time and then. “Well enough, we took some time leaving Paris, due to the rain, however, once that cleared up it was relatively smooth.”

A straight answer to an easy question. Edmund nodded and asked. “Did you happen to stop anywhere on your journey?”

“Various places, here and there.” Philippe replied as he took a sip of wine.

There was a slight silence then. Edmund was trying to figure out what was this man’s belief system from the way he spoke but he was not able to garner anything significant. He therefore observed the way the man held himself and learnt slightly more from that. The man seemed to be comfortable in his skin, he sat straight, with his shoulders back, and held himself with an air of a man who knew he was powerful. However, his eyes gave away his youth. They were constantly moving backwards and forwards as if trying to assess for some threat or the other. Deciding to push this, Edmund asked. “How have you found Gascony so far?”

Immediately, the man’s eyes narrowed and then widened. “It is a nice region. The wine is very nice.”

“Thank you, I can give you a bottle for the journey to Navarre if you wish?” Edmund asked.

“That would be nice, I am sure my wife will appreciate that. Thank you.” Philippe said.

Edmund noticed how the man before him shifted a little as he said that, as though he did not know how to say the word wife. It was a strange thing to see, but also something he kept aside. “I see, well you must be tired, it has been a long journey, come.” Edmund rose as did the Prince they walked to the door, with Edmund allowing the man to walk out first before him, they then walked down the hallway, past tapestries showing hunts and dances and all sorts of other things, before they came to the Prince’s room. “My Prince.” Edmund bowed.

“Lord Edmund.” The Prince said, before turning, opening the door and then shutting it. Edmund stood where he was for a moment before continuing walking down the hallway, he eventually got to his own chambers, where he found his wife waiting for him. She handed him a cup of wine and they sat down.

“How was your talk with your daughter?” Edmund asked.

“Nice, it was good to see her again. She seems happy, and is hoping to have her child in Navarre.” Blanche said.

“Good, that is good.” Edmund said thinking about it, calculating when the child was born and what that would mean if it were boy or a girl.

Blanche then asked. “And how did your conversation with Prince Philippe go?”

Edmund sighed. “He is not someone prone to talking. He says more with his eyes than he does with words. He is composed and calm with everything other than his eyes. They constantly move about, this way and that. I think that is because he is in Gascony but it could be like that all the time.”

“Interesting.” Blanche said. “Well, Joan says he is quite talkative with her and with his brother the Count of Valois. So, perhaps we should see how he handles Navarre.”

“Do you still have friends at the Navarrese court?” Edmund asked, an idea forming in his head.

“I do.” Blanche replied tentatively.

“Could you ask them to write to you when the royal couple arrive. We must ensure we know what they do.”

For a moment Edmund could’ve sworn he saw hesitation in his wife’s face, but it was gone in a moment. “Certainly.”

I suggest making Timur (or someone like him) more successful. Maybe to the point that a Timurid successor replaces the Ottomans? There's really a lot to go with here. He doesn't even need to come from Chagatai if you're feeling like changing even more.

VVD0D95

Banned
I suggest making Timur (or someone like him) more successful. Maybe to the point that a Timurid successor replaces the Ottomans? There's really a lot to go with here. He doesn't even need to come from Chagatai if you're feeling like changing even more.
Oh? Interesting why down that path?

Oh? Interesting why down that path?

Mostly because it's similar but still different. At this point the Byzantines are still doing reasonably well, there's plenty of room to tweak them so that they're still reasonably intact when Timur comes knocking. I think they'd be far more vulnerable to the Timurids than the Ottomans were since they're Christian. There's a religious reason to keep going to the west, it'd be hard for a Muslim ruler of his power not to try and fulfill The Prophet's prediction of Constantinople falling to the banners of Islam.

I'll really just brainstorming here, it's entirely up to you of course.

Chapter 20: It Begins

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 20: It Begins

November, 1288

Ramachandra looked at the two men sat before him, one of them was fat, ridiculously so, so much so that he had to wear a special type of cloth to prevent his stomach from bulging out. The other was muscular and looked to be all brawn and no brain. These were the two other most powerful men south of Delhi other than him and they were the men who would help him defeat the Muslims.

Ramachandra cleared his throat. And in the finest Sanskrit he said. “Gentlemen, we have been talking backwards and forwards for two years now. In that time there have been six Sultans of Delhi, and four civil wars between them. That nation is now ruled by an eight year old with a drunkard as regent. The time has come for us to strike. We must ensure we move into position now or we shall never have such an opportunity ever again.”

Arjuna, King of Malwa spoke then. “What you say is true. We have waited long enough.” Arjuna’s daughter had wed Ramachandra’s heir a year and a half ago and already there was a son born, named after the illustrious God Krishna, and another child was expected. Ramachandra had effectively been controlling Malwa for five years now regardless, so he knew the man would agree with him.

It was the fatter man who needed to speak, and when he did Sarangadeva said exactly what Ramachandra had thought he would. “It is all well and good saying that the Sultanate is in chaos, but there is nothing to say that the moment we moved forward that they will not sort themselves out. Or that they won’t suddenly have allies appearing where before they had none.”

“Bengal is fighting its own issues; they will not come forward. My spies in Delhi inform me that the factions there are torn between wanting a new dynasty and continuing the regency. There are more Hindus in Delhi now than there were a year ago. Now is the time to strike.” Ramachandra fired back.

“That does not mean that the moment we announce we are moving forward that there will not be a unity call.” Sarangadeva fired back. “And indeed, another thing we must discuss is the military strength of our alliance versus the Sultanate. They can call upon some 40,000 men at least, whilst our alliance can must something such as 60,000 men on a good day, but with winter here, and with the long journey needed, we might need to half that number.”

“No.” Ramachandra said. “We would only need to half that number if we delay until the new year. I do not suggest we do that. Furthermore, I suggest we have more experienced commanders than they do. They’ve been fighting in and around Delhi, we know the land and terrain on the approach much better than they do.” He had even led a raiding party two months ago which had destroyed a baggage train meant for the capital. No doubt starving some of the people.

“And what would you suggest then?” Sarangadeva asked. “That we draw them out of the capital and into the field? You think they would be that foolish?”

“I know that they would be that foolish as do you.” Ramachandra said. “They are trying to deal with a lot of things at once, they will not want to fight in the confines of the capital.”

There was a grunt of concession from Sarangadeva, and then he asked. “And if we remove the Muslims from Delhi who shall take the throne? Or are we to simply accept that Delhi is no longer a capital?”

Arjuna spoke then. “No, I think we choose from one of us for the position for Emperor.”

Sarangadeva nodded, there was a pause for thought and then. “It should be you Ramachandra. We shall choose the succession process much later.”

Ramachandra nodded and then said. “We shall move to Delhi before the year is over.”

Chapter 21: Jury's Out

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 21: Jury’s Out

April, 1289

Alexander, King of Scots looked at the two men sat opposite him. One was his own son who had shaved his beard and had cut his hair even shorter, at the advice of his wife apparently, the other was Alexander Comyn, Earl of Buchan and Lord Justiciar of Scotland. Alexander was uncertain about having Comyn here given his interest in this matter, but he was the chief Justiciar for Scotland and thus needed to be here for this meeting.

Alexander cleared his throat and said. “It has been two years since the initial complaint was filed by the Lord of Lauderdale, Alexander, you have examined the matter most thoroughly as I requested of you. What have you found?”

His son, Alexander Earl of Gairoch spoke clearly and concisely. “Sire, I have found several irregularities in the accounts submitted by both of the Lord of Lauderdale and the Lord of Liddesdale. There are several payments made to unknown sources in Liddesdale’s accounts, and when asked for clarification, Liddesdale has not been forthcoming with the names, or has claimed that he does not remember who he made those payments to. Furthermore, on the same days that payments were made, Lauderdale’s accounts show he received payments, and subsequently used that money to pay Sheriffs and clerks. When those sheriffs and clerks were questioned, they admitted to accepting bribes from Lauderdale to look the other way as he took more money than he should have from his tenants. Thus, exploiting the law and breaking it.”

“And what reason did Lauderdale give for his actions when asked?” Alexander asked.

“Sire, he said that he did all of these things to pay off the debts he had incurred. Lauderdale is a gambler who gambles away almost everything. Indeed, one account I have seen suggests he almost staked his wife in a game, before being reminded his wife would return to Liddesdale should he do such a thing.” His son said.

“Return to Liddlesdale?” Alexander asked. He had not heard of this before.

“In the old way, Sire.” His son replied. “Meaning she would take up with Liddesdale per an agreement they had reached at the time of their marriage.”

Alexander thought on this and then asked. “So, is it possible then that Liddesdale was black mailing Lauderdale in continuing to extort funds from his tenants and from others so as to prevent his wife returning to Liddesdale and becoming his property? Consequently, meaning that not only was he in violation of one law, but he was also in violation of three separate ones?”

Comyn spoke then. “It would appear so, yes, Sire.”

“And what would a suitable punishment be for this?” Alexander asked, looking at his son.

“I would suggest imprisonment for both men. They have both broken the law and as such, neither of them are fit to hold their titles. Liddesdale’s son can take his title, but Lauderdale has only two daughters, both of whom are unmarried. I would recommend taking them as wards and then marrying them off when they are of age.” His son replied.

Alexander looked at Comyn who said. “I think that would be an appropriate measure to take Sire. It sets a strong example and shows the nobles of the realm that they will not be able to get away with such avarice.”

Alexander nodded, he had thought that himself, but at the same time Liddesdale was Bruce’s man, and he did not want accusations of bias coming from Annandale. Not that that was likely, more than anything Carrick was more likely to throw them around being the fool he was. Eventually he said. “Very well, send the writ out for Parliament, we shall have these charges laid out in public so that nobody can claim it was done wrongly. Once that is done, imprison both Liddesdale and Lauderdale, one in Edinburgh the other in Stirling. Summon Lauderdale’s wife and daughters to court, and ensure the writ is sent out proclaiming that Liddesdale’s son is now his successor.”

“Yes Sire.” Comyn said, Alexander swore he saw something pass over the man’s face, something passing for delight, but ignored it all the same.

“Dismissed.” He said waving a hand. Comyn got up and bowed, but before his son could go, Alexander stopped him and said. “Be sure to include a passage relating to the claims of Comyn in the letter sent out to those we trust.”

His son said nothing a moment and then nodded. “Yes, Sire.”

Chapter 22: The Bruce

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 22: The Bruce

July, 1289

Robert de Brus, Lord of Annandale, and sometime guardian of Scotland felt the wind rattle his bones. He was old, close enough to death to appreciate the finer things in life. The men before him were all young by comparison, and they did not quite get nor understand what the significance of having this much time was. Instead they had all gathered at Lochmaeben to discuss the punishment given over to the Lord of Liddesdale, a man who Robert had considered a friend and ally.

“It is not right. Lauderdale was getting bribes from Dunbar, we all know this. I am sure the King knows this as well.” Robert’s son the Earl of Carrick said. “I do not understand why Liddesdale was the one who suffered and why Dunbar is not.”

“Liddesdale decided against allying with the Comyns. He spoke up against the Portuguese marriage. And even though he is Buchan’s son by marriage he has always been more closely aligned with us than with Comyn. Therefore, he had to go.” Robert said.

“Do you think the King knew?” The Earl of Fife asked. Fife was the second most powerful man in the realm behind the King, at least he was supposed to be as the man who legitimised the coronation ceremony, but recent evidence suggested Buchan had replaced him in that role.

“I think the King knew only what he wanted to see.” Robert said. He saw the King as another son, the son he preferred to his own flesh and blood, but here, the King had let him down badly.

“What do you mean?” His son asked.

“I think the King knew there was something more suspicious going on here, he’s smart he’d know it was not as clear cut as it appeared to be. But he also knew he had to be tough on the action, and therefore he gave Liddesdale and Lauderdale the sentences he deemed right.” Robert said.

“So, he did it to pacify the Comyns?” Carrick asked sounding disgusted.

“No, he did it to keep peace in the realm. Had he taken into account that Liddesdale was not the only one who Lauderdale had given his wife to in the old way, there would be a war. A war we can ill afford right now.” Robert replied patiently.

“So, where do we go from here?” Fife asked. “With this movement, the Comyns have almost secured their complete control over the court and the crown. The only place they are not in the ascendant is the Household Guard, and that’s because of your man there.”

“And of course they do not control the Prince’s household. The Prince is our best hope now.” Robert said.

“What did you have in mind?” Fife asked.

“Well, the Prince has two sons and a daughter now. I am of the view that perhaps suggesting a marriage between your daughter Isabel, Robert and the Prince’s heir would be appropriate. Furthermore, a marriage between Balliol’s daughter and your son Robert, would be appropriate.” Robert said.

“A marriage between my son and Balliol’s spawn?” His son asked sounding horrified. “Never.”

“Balliol is malleable, he can be brought to see reason. He will never get the Prince’s second son. We must bring him to our side. He wants to protect himself in case the Comyns fall, this is the best way to do it. Furthermore, it will also satisfy the King as it will show that we are serious about peace.” Robert said.

He could see there was an internal battle being waged in his son’s mind eventually, the man nodded. “Very well. But I do not know if the Prince will agree to a marriage between his son and Isabel. There is too big of an age difference.”

“I know, which is why we must propose the Balliol marriage also.” Robert replied.

His son nodded. “Very well. And what then?”

Robert thought for a moment and then said. “Then we begin to bring down the Comyns.”