Saturday, April 3rd 2021
Seaborn orders withdrawal of 12,000 troops from Qumar
Washington, D.C. — Secretary of Defense Jack Shannon told the press on Saturday night that President Sam Seaborn has ordered the withdrawal of 12,000 American troops from Qumar. Shannon said that the president's order would reduce the total number of US troops in Qumar to around 40,000, and that the decision came after months of strategic reviews.
"This reduction does not signal an intent for immediate withdrawal," Shannon cautioned. "The United States and its allies remain committed to the mission of ensuring that Qumar becomes a stable and democratic country...This is likely to require a prolonged commitment of American troops."
A significant decrease in Bahji activity has occurred in the past eighteen months, and Pentagon officials say that, combined with an easing of tensions with Iran, has substantially reduced the need for international troops. Three years ago, roughly 230,000 troops, mostly from the United States, China and the United Kingdom, were on Qumari-controlled soil, with a further 70,000 estimated Iranian troops occupying the northern portion of the country. When this latest reduction of American forces is complete by July, the total number of international troops stationed in Qumar will reach 45,000, less than one-sixth of the total in 2018.
Pentagon sources say that the reduction had been planned to begin in the fall of 2020, but the publication of a report detailing war crimes committed by Australian troops between 2016 and 2018 led to fears of a resurgence in violence that postponed the withdrawals. Australia withdrew its combat troops in 2019, after the election of Labor Prime Minister Dominic Rodgers, and currently has nearly 100 soldiers stationed in Qumar on training and support roles.