1983: San Francisco 49ers knock off Redskins in NFC Championship Game & the aftermath

Would you like to see this TL have major ramifications in the NFL ?

• A.) YES

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • B.) NO

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • C.) Wait & see approach

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters
It was a wild game in the 1983 NFC Championship Game between the San Francisco 49ers & the defending Super Bowl Champion Washington Redskins (who won it all in 1982), the 49ers had the football with less than 2 minutes left in the game. What would happen next would have major ramifications & start a long dominance of the NFC in winning Super Bowls....

1981 Super Bowl (VI).jpg

Last edited:
Here's how a 49er-Raider SB 18 could change the future of the NFL: The Raiders would play SF's pass receivers tight and physical instead of playing zones like everyone else did. That gives you a template for shutting down the WCO, and it isn't as popular by the 90's.

Agreed, Montana doesn't have Jerry Rice yet. It would be a tight game, the question is twofold. Is the Niners rush defense in enough to stop Marcus Allen, and if it is not which Jim Plunkett shows up? The Plunkett who could sometimes throw a couple costly interceptions in a game, or the Plunkett who is capable of throwing for 250 yd and while not a superstar passer is at least effective enough with Alan as his main threat to win the Super Bowl.

Marcus Allen was on fire that day. While one of his runs was a Super Bowl record length if I recall, he will still clearly the MVP and Jim Plunkett still had to deal with Darrell Green even if he didn't have to deal with the incredible 49ers pass defense. It was a year later if I recall that they had all four members make the Pro Bowl. My heart says the 49ers win, my mind says the Raiders eke out a victory in a very low-scoring game. And, full disclosure, my heart only says the 49ers because I think back to then and the reason I didn't like the Raiders was because I was upset about them having left Oakland. Not because I lived anywhere near there, I just felt bad for the people of Oakland. And, this was a 49ers team that had barely beating the Lions in the wild card game and been 10 and 6.

Even if the Raiders lose, it can still have major ramifications because as noted above the West Coast offense might not become as popular. Or they could win.

Agreed, Montana doesn't have Jerry Rice yet. It would be a tight game, the question is twofold. Is the Niners rush defense in enough to stop Marcus Allen, and if it is not which Jim Plunkett shows up? The Plunkett who could sometimes throw a couple costly interceptions in a game, or the Plunkett who is capable of throwing for 250 yd and while not a superstar passer is at least effective enough with Alan as his main threat to win the Super Bowl.

Marcus Allen was on fire that day. While one of his runs was a Super Bowl record length if I recall, he will still clearly the MVP and Jim Plunkett still had to deal with Darrell Green even if he didn't have to deal with the incredible 49ers pass defense. It was a year later if I recall that they had all four members make the Pro Bowl. My heart says the 49ers win, my mind says the Raiders eke out a victory in a very low-scoring game. And, full disclosure, my heart only says the 49ers because I think back to then and the reason I didn't like the Raiders was because I was upset about them having left Oakland. Not because I lived anywhere near there, I just felt bad for the people of Oakland. And, this was a 49ers team that had barely beating the Lions in the wild card game and been 10 and 6.

Even if the Raiders lose, it can still have major ramifications because as noted above the West Coast offense might not become as popular. Or they could win.

I'll put some twists & turns in this TL.

76990048_display_image.jpg

We go to late in the 4th QTR....

The 49ers have the football & have been running the football with RB Roger Craig, who rushed for 73 Yds. QB Joe Montana had thrown for 347 Yds, 3 TDs & 1 INT, the 49ers kept running the football with Craig & RB Wendell Tyler until legendary 49ers Football Coach Bill Walsh called a timeout to discuss strategy... "Now look, we got to throw the football as the Redskins defense is killing us. We haven't done diddly **** all day in attempting to run the ball, looking at the offensive stats, we only got 87 Yds rushing.... 87 God **** rushing Yds. Ok. Roger & Wendell, I need both of you to run the ball hard to get more Yds. Now Dwight, Freddie, Eason, Mike, Russ & Coop, I need all of y'all to get open when Joe gets ready to throw the ball. Ok ?"

The Redskins had been frustrating the 49ers all day, assuming San Francisco would keep running the ball until time runs out in order to get ready for OT..... Montana, realizing the Redskins defense had been giving him problems, decided to pull a trick play of his own.... "To Hell with this bull***. I'm going to pull a trick play on their a*****."

Over at the Redskins sideline, Gibbs was screaming at his defense about Dwight Clark of the 49ers being left all by himself, "Somebody cover that #87 fella. He's not covered at all. STOP HIM NOW DAMN IT." Before the Redskins defense can react, Montana did a flea-flicker play by first tossing it to Tyler, who then pitched it back to Montana, who went very deep on a Hail Mary pass, hitting Clark, who ran for 56 Yds for the go-ahead TD....

(1983 NFC Championship Game)
San Francisco 49ers: 28
Washington Redskins: 21
Time left: 0:28

Last edited:
It’s got potential, but what are the long-term effects besides a different offense? Does it avert Montana’s injury in the 1990 NFC title game long-term? Because that would be super.

Following the go-ahead TD by the 49ers, Defensive Coordinator George Siefert gathered the defensive unit over to circle around him on strategy: preventing the Redskins offense from scoring by any means necessary.

For the defending Super Bowl Champion Redskins, time was running out & they needed Washington Redskins QB Joe Theismann to pull off a miracle less than 13 seconds left in the game. Their high-scoring offense was frustrating the 49ers defense all day & the referees then called one particular controversial penalty against San Francisco, which infuriated Siefert, who threw down his headset. It was 1st & 10 on midfield, Theismann got sacked by 49ers DT Fred Dean, which pushed the Redskins back to 2nd & 20 with less then 6 seconds left & no timeouts left for the Redskins (Theismann spiked the ball to prevent time running out).

When the Redskins got out of the huddle, Theismann realized he needed to go deep by going to either Charlie Brown (who caught the 70 Yd TD), John Riggins (who scored 2 rushing TDs) or Don Warren; the 49ers defense rushed 4 with the 4/3 defense, forcing Theismann to hurry, rushing the pass..... throwing incomplete, leaving the game clock at just 1 second left. 3rd & 20: Theismann once again attempted the shotgun pass, throwing a dangerous pass (that was intended for Warren)..... PICKED OFF by 49ers OLB Keena Turner, who ran it all the way to the end-zone, the final score was....
(1983 NFC Championship): Final
San Francisco 49ers: 34
Washington Redskins: 21

Following the final end of the 1983 NFC Championship Game, San Francisco 49ers Owner Eddie DeBartolo, Jr., yelled in joy, "Hell YES BABY: We're BACK in the Super Bowl. Now let's shove the teeth down the Raiders' throats!"

san-francisco-california-usa-14th-aug-1983-san-francisco-49ers-vs-new-england-patriots-at-candlestick-park-sunday-august-14-1983-pre-season-game-49ers-lining-up-to-run-on-field-credit-al-golubzuma-wirealamy-live-news-P8CGT2.jpg

Inside the 49ers locker-room, it was an exciting time as they celebrated punching the frranchise's ticket to their 2nd Super Bowl in franchise history, they realized their opponent would be the Los Angeles Raiders (who defeated Seattle in the AFC Championship Game). 49ers Owner Eddie DeBartolo, Jr., gave a fiery speech, where he told the players & coaches not to lose focus on the ultimate prize: the Lombardi Trophy & hit back HARD.

Last edited:
It’s got potential, but what are the long-term effects besides a different offense? Does it avert Montana’s injury in the 1990 NFC title game long-term? Because that would be super.
that is gone by pure butterflies, could get injured early, later, not all, that one be career ending among others

Walsh
12:28 PM PST, Tuesday, January 9th, 1984
San Francisco 49ers HQ, Santa Clara, CA.
1981 San Francisco 49ers Practice.jpg
San Francisco 49ers Football Coach Bill Walsh was overseeing the team practice at the 49ers Team Facility, realizing the offensive line needs to get major practice in preparation for the stingy Raiders defense, which worried the defensive coaching staff a lot since winning the 1983 NFC Championship Game the previous day after dethroning the then-defending Super Bowl Champion Washington Redskins; "I know the Raiders are going to up the ante against our West Coast offense in 2 weeks, but we need to find a stronger strategy to offset the weakness that was shown yesterday. All right, everyone get your ******* over here for a major team meeting!"

Well, the stage is set, that superbowl is fun, you know i was thinking a similar scenario but without the catch...them the Bengals won the superbowl as landry and co have not answer to the Hurry Up Proto Run and Shoot Offense of the Bengals, that changed the lead as now offense is what set the tempo rather defense, forcing quickier and agile Linemen and Linebackers

Well, the stage is set, that superbowl is fun, you know i was thinking a similar scenario but without the catch...them the Bengals won the superbowl as landry and co have not answer to the Hurry Up Proto Run and Shoot Offense of the Bengals, that changed the lead as now offense is what set the tempo rather defense, forcing quickier and agile Linemen and Linebackers
As a lifelong 49ers fan myself, I'm putting twists & turns on the 1983 Super Bowl preparations....

1983 Super Bowl Championship
Sunday, January 22nd, 1984
Tampa Stadium, Tampa, FL
1981 Super Bowl (VII).jpg

San Francisco 49ers Football Coach Bill Walsh & the 49ers on the field during warm-ups HRS before the big game.
Following 2 weeks of hard-hitting practice, game-film sessions, focused meetings on offensive & defensive strategies, it was time for the biggest game of the NFL.... Super Bowl XVIII against their arch rivals, the Raiders of Los Angeles (formerly Oakland, then Los Angeles or whatever suited Crazy Whacky Al Davis' ego).

The 1983 Super Bowl was being broadcast by play-by-play announcer Pat Summerall & color commentator John Madden. Hosting pregame coverage for The Super Bowl Today was Brent Musburger, Irv Cross, Phyllis George & Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder. Other contributors to CBS coverage included Jim Hill (who was also Sports Director of KNXT-TV (later KCBS-TV later that April) Los Angeles, which aired the game in that market) & CBS 5 KPIX-TV San Francisco aired the game in San Francisco, CA.

Pregame festivities included a paid tribute to George Halas, featuring the University of Florida Fightin' Gator Marching Band & the Florida State University Marching Chiefs. Following a moment of silence for Halas, singer Barry Manilow performed the national anthem & the coin toss featured Pro Football Hall of Fame FB & DT Bronko Nagurski.

1st QTR
During the 1st Half, the 49ers scored on offense, defense & special teams, becoming the first team to score three non-offensive TDs in a Super Bowl. Less than five minutes into the game, San Francisco's OLB Willie Harper blocked Ray Guy's punt deep in San Francisco territory & recovered the football in the end zone to give the 49ers a 7-0 lead. On their ensuing drive, the Raiders were forced to punt after going 3 & out, but San Francisco punter Tom Orosz muffed the catch, & Los Angeles S Kenny Hill recovered the ball at the 49ers 42-Yd line. However, the Raiders advanced only to the 49ers' 25-Yd line & came away with no points after K Chris Bahr missed a 42-Yd FG attempt very badly when the ball hit the crossbar, which hit 49ers CB Dwight Hicks (who was ready to catch the ball) who ran it all the way to the end zone, 49ers led 14-0.

2nd QTR
Early in the 2nd QTR, 49ers QB Joe Montana completed a 50-Yd pass to WR Freddie Solomon, advancing the ball to the Raiders' 16-Yd line. Solomon would later say the 49ers took advantage of the tailwind after the teams switched sides. Two plays later, Montana threw 13-Yd TD pass to Solomon, increasing the lead to 21-0. One of the key contributors on the TD play was 49ers C Jesse Sapolu. After snapping the ball, Sapolu had no one in front of him to block, so he backpedaled into the backfield & spotted Raiders DE Howie Long coming very hard at Montana from the left side, managing to throw a block against him just in time to prevent a sack & enabling Montana to throw the ball. Next, the 49ers surprised the Raiders special teams by doing an onside kick, which was recovered by San Francisco: soon afterwards, Montana went deep, scoring a 50-Yd TD pass to you guessed it, WR Dwight Clark (AKA The Catch from the 1981 NFC Championship Game against Dallas), extending the lead 28-0. The Raiders got the ball back when they attempted to drive down the field, (the 49ers defense was suffocating them during the 1st half). From there, Los Angeles Raiders Football Coach Tom Flores had Raiders QB Jim Plunkett try a new strategy, running a screen play, which ended up backfiring when 49ers LB Ricki Ellison intercepted the pass & returned it for a TD to give the 49ers a 35-0 halftime lead.
1981 Super Bowl (XVII).jpg

Montana & Clark on the 49ers sidelines, discussing strategy for the 2nd half with the 49ers leading big 35-0 before the halftime concert.

Last edited: