1983: San Francisco 49ers knock off Redskins in NFC Championship Game & the aftermath

Would you like to see this TL have major ramifications in the NFL ?

• A.) YES

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • B.) NO

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • C.) Wait & see approach

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters
Davis
Sunday, January 22nd, 1984
Raiders Locker-Room
Tampa Stadium, Tampa, FL
Al_Davis.jpg
During the halftime concert, "Salute to Superstars of Silver Screen", Los Angeles Raiders Owner/GM Al Davis was fuming, steaming pissed off at the team's performance from the 1st half. Slamming one of the players' helmets across the locker-room, almost hitting one of the waterboys, he ranted & raved "What the F***** of performance was that ? You're a God DAMNED embarrassment to the Silver & Black you're wearing out there on the field as well as an embarrassment to those who wore those jerseys years before you. Jimmy, what kind of pass play was that ? You tried a damn screen play by throwing right into the defense ? Marcus, I'm getting real tired of your antics of half-assing your way in running the ball. You need to show some leadership you uppity piece of S***!"

Walsh

49ers Locker-Room
Tampa Stadium, Tampa, FL
1981-11-01 Pregame Talk in 49ers lockerroom.jpg

Knowing the Raiders had a habit of coming back from behind in big games, 49ers Football Coach Bill Walsh gathered the team for another pep talk. "All right gentlemen. Halftime: we've got 30 more minutes left before we leave Tampa with the Lombardi Trophy, but you cannot & I repeat, CANNOT, take anything for granted because I know that it's not over until it's over. Offense, I want more points on the board, defense: keep making things miserable for the Raiders & make things difficult & special teams, keep doing what you're doing." The 49ers were leading 35-0 while the Halftime Show was going on, but the message was the same: get aggressive & don't let your foot off the gas pedal.

ONTO THE 2ND HALF....

3RD QTR

After getting scolded by Davis during halftime, the Raiders regrouped & scored on their opening drive by marching 73 Yds in 13 plays. First, Raiders WR Malcolm Barnwell returned the opening kickoff 29 Yds from 5 Yds deep into the end zone to the Los Angeles 30-Yd line. Then, Plunkett completed a 12-Yd pass to RB Marcus Allen, who ran it to the 49ers 42-Yd line. 12 plays later, Allen finished the drive with a 13-Yd rushing TD. Barr's extra point was botched, when the snap was badly botched then Barr got tackled for lost yardage. the Raiders had cut the score to 35-6 & needed a couple of more scores to make it a game if they could get their act together from here on out.

However, the 49ers completely took over the rest of the game, preventing any attempt of a Raiders comeback. On the ensuing drive, Los Angeles Raiders CB Lester Hayes was called for a 45-Yd pass interference penalty while trying to cover 49ers TE Russ Francis, setting up Wendell Tyler's 12-Yd rushing TD seven plays later to make the score 42-6. Late in the 3rd QTR, the Raiders had an opportunity to score after Hayes forced & recovered a fumble from 49ers WR Mike Wilson at the 49ers 35-Yd line. They moved the ball just nine Yds in their next three plays, & then faced 4th & 1. Los Angeles attempted to convert the 4th down with a run by Allen, which was not successful when he was tackled for a loss by 49ers LB Jack Reynolds.

On the next play, the last play of the 3rd QTR, Montana handed the ball off to RB Roger Craig, who started to run left as the play was designed. However, when he saw a lot of Raiders defenders in front of him, he was forced to cut back to the middle before taking off on a 62-Yd rushing TD, increasing San Francisco's lead to 49-6.
1981 Super Bowl (III).jpg

Last edited:
IIRC, the two-point conversion wasn't an option IOTL at this time in the NFL (it was in place in the NCAA--hence Tom Osborne's attempt to go for two in the Nebraska-Miami NC title game)...

IIRC, the two-point conversion wasn't an option IOTL at this time in the NFL (it was in place in the NCAA--hence Tom Osborne's attempt to go for two in the Nebraska-Miami NC title game)...
It's corrected. Stay tuned, I'm putting more spices & sauces into this TL.

Last edited:
Onto the 4th QTR....

1981 Super Bowl (XV).jpg

The 49ers had sacked Plunkett 12 times, forcing him to fumble three times, & intercepted two passes. Meanwhile, Tyler ran for 46 Yds for another TD, increasing the 49ers' lead to 56-6; after a Raiders 3 & out, the 49ers got the ball back & Montana threw a 88-Yd TD pass to Clark, increasing the lead to 63-6. With the game pretty much in the bag for San Francisco with more than 7 minutes left, Walsh called a timeout in order to bring the backups to play.

Just when you assumed Walsh & Co., would call off the dogs.... he didn't as the 49ers upped the ante again by scoring another TD, this time a 73-Yd rushing TD by RB Carl Monroe, increasing the 49ers' lead 70-6.
By this time for Los Angeles, it was an embarrassing effort displayed on national TV: only Marcus Allen managed to rush for 103 Yds & 1 TD (only TD the Raiders scored); Plunkett was put on the bench before the end of the 3rd QTR & when the TV Cameras showed Raiders Owner & GM Al Davis, he was pissed off & so angry that he was sulking in his chair.

With less than 3 minutes left, San Francisco managed to get a 27-Yd FG increasing the score 73-6.

Last edited:
Once the ball hits the crossbar I think it's dead, but I'm not totally sure; however, it could have been just short, maybe someone got a fingertip on it, and then it was run back.

I don't know who will be happier fans in San Francisco or across the bay in Oakland. I didn't want to jinx it by mentioning this, but I'm sure the pregame show would have had one feature about divided loyalties due to the Raiders having fled so recently. Might be interesting to put something about tht in the story.

Once the ball hits the crossbar I think it's dead, but I'm not totally sure; however, it could have been just short, maybe someone got a fingertip on it, and then it was run back.

I don't know who will be happier fans in San Francisco or across the bay in Oakland. I didn't want to jinx it by mentioning this, but I'm sure the pregame show would have had one feature about divided loyalties due to the Raiders having fled so recently. Might be interesting to put something about tht in the story.

I'll see if I can research on that situation once I get back from the 4th of July break.

1981 Super Bowl (IX).png

San Francisco 49ers Football Coach Bill Walsh being lifted up by his players as soon as the clock hit double zero.
The 49ers won very big 73-6, securing their 2nd Super Bowl Championship in franchise history.

As soon as the game clock hit double zero, the San Francisco 49ers celebrated on the field non-stop, it was a big blowout victory in the history of the Super Bowl. For the 49ers, this kick-started their dynasty & status as the team of the 1980's going forward.
1981 Super Bowl (IV).jpg
1981 Super Bowl (X).jpg

1981 Super Bowl (XVIII).jpg

DeBartolo, Jr.,

49ers Locker-Room
Tampa Stadium, Tampa, FL
1981 Super Bowl (VIII).jpg

CBS Sports Broadcaster Brent Musburger interviews San Francisco 49ers Owner & CEO Eddie DeBartolo, Jr.,
& San Francisco 49ers Football Coach Bill Walsh inside the team locker-room.

Inside the 49ers Locker-Room, it was raucously loud. Players & coaches were partying inside; others having a private moment to themselves, realizing they achieved the biggest goal, reaching the brass ring; QB Joe Montana was congratulated by his teammates for an amazing performance: having gone 33/38 for 325 passing Yds & 3 TDs, some NFL analysts assumed he would get Super Bowl MVP, but instead the award went to Dwigth Clark, who caught 17 passes, 212 Yds & 2 TDs. NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle showed up to congratulate the 49ers on a big blowout victory, while handing the Lombardi Trophy to present to the team, who were excited & loudly expressed themselves.

For DeBartolo, he wasn't quite satisfied with 2 Super Bowls, he wanted more & more. He along with Coach Walsh, the coaching staff & management were also determined to up the ante in free agency, drafting well with the upcoming 1984 NFL Draft coming & other strategic areas. San Francisco was here to dominate this decade & there was nothing nobody could do about it.

1981 Super Bowl (XVIV).jpg

Presentation of the Lombardi Trophy to the 1983 Super Bowl Champions San Francisco 49ers.

Last edited:
The Day After.....

Many Sports Radio talk show hosts, NFL analysts, experts were surprised by how the game turned out when many of whom assumed it would've been a close, dogfight battle to the finish, but nobody anticipated San Francisco would win by such a big blowout margin. CA Governor George Deukmejian (R) & POTUS Reagan phoned the 49ers to offer their congratulations including San Francisco, CA Mayor Dianne Feinstein (D), who announced a large parade will be held in downtown SF in a few days.

Deukmejian also invited the 49ers for a party at the historic CA Governor's Mansion in Sacramento, which they accepted.

Last edited:
I am loving this so far, can't wait for more! This site needs more NFL, NBA, & MLB TLs beyond the stereotypical "Brady goes to [INSERT TEAM HERE]", "Manning (or Elway) goes to [INSERT TEAM HERE]", "Len Bias Lives", "Michael Jordan stays with baseball", "Babe Ruth goes to [INSERT TEAM HERE]" or "The Dodgers and Giants stay in the east". I'm really enjoying the original POD and the results of it. Keep it up.

The Championship Parade
11:34 AM PST, February 3rd, 1984

San Francisco, CA.
San Francisco 49ers Super Bowl Championship Parade (I).jpg

Large crowds surrounding the motorcade as they congratulate the 1983 Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers in downtown SF.
In downtown San Francisco, the 1983 Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers were being celebrated by large crowd of fanatic 49ers fans as they mobbed San Francisco 49ers Owner & CEO Eddie DeBartolo, Jr., San Francisco 49ers Football Coach Bill Walsh & San Francisco, CA Mayor Dianne Feinstein (D), who were riding in one of the first vehicles of the championship parade.

I am loving this so far, can't wait for more! This site needs more NFL, NBA, & MLB TLs beyond the stereotypical "Brady goes to [INSERT TEAM HERE]", "Manning (or Elway) goes to [INSERT TEAM HERE]", "Len Bias Lives", "Michael Jordan stays with baseball", "Babe Ruth goes to [INSERT TEAM HERE]" or "The Dodgers and Giants stay in the east". I'm really enjoying the original POD and the results of it. Keep it up.

Since you've joined rather recently, since I stopped doing a lot, I thought you'd enjoy seeing some of mine. I can't find them all right away, but you can probably find them under threads started by me, I've done:
1. Browns move to L.A.
2. Athletics stay in Kansas City;
3. Browns moved to Milwaukee by Bill Veeck (and Mays and Aaron switching teams);
4. TLIAD or Week on Shoeless Joe Jackson remaining with the Athletics;
5. Braves staying in Milwaukee if memory serves.Or maybe that was part of my TL with Bartholomay buying the White Sox (which he tried to do but was outbid by Veeck);
6. The Heavyweight(s?) League - Cardinals in the American League (starts with Robison not reading the paper and noticing the Browns for sale, he still just owns the Cleveland team in the NL)
7. Baseball with no collusion ( more recent one, 2017)
8. A TLIAW where the Redskins move instead of integrating in the NFL;
9. ATLIAW or so about the NFL as the "Brazil of sports,'" though I don't recall if that was the title, about an NFL where they just blow many chances despite having such many resources, just like Brazil is said to be so resource rich that it's always *this* close to being a major power.

Well, and Babe Ruth as a Red but you mentioned Ruth threads as being rather common.

In addition to my books on baseball always integrated and baseball with no strikes.

Since you've joined rather recently, since I stopped doing a lot, I thought you'd enjoy seeing some of mine. I can't find them all right away, but you can probably find them under threads started by me, I've done:
1. Browns move to L.A.
2. Athletics stay in Kansas City;
3. Browns moved to Milwaukee by Bill Veeck (and Mays and Aaron switching teams);
4. TLIAD or Week on Shoeless Joe Jackson remaining with the Athletics;
5. Braves staying in Milwaukee if memory serves.Or maybe that was part of my TL with Bartholomay buying the White Sox (which he tried to do but was outbid by Veeck);
6. The Heavyweight(s?) League - Cardinals in the American League (starts with Robison not reading the paper and noticing the Browns for sale, he still just owns the Cleveland team in the NL)
7. Baseball with no collusion ( more recent one, 2017)
8. A TLIAW where the Redskins move instead of integrating in the NFL;
9. ATLIAW or so about the NFL as the "Brazil of sports,'" though I don't recall if that was the title, about an NFL where they just blow many chances despite having such many resources, just like Brazil is said to be so resource rich that it's always *this* close to being a major power.

Well, and Babe Ruth as a Red but you mentioned Ruth threads as being rather common.

In addition to my books on baseball always integrated and baseball with no strikes.

You should note I'm a SF Giants fan though.

Last time I saw those trees in front of San Francisco City Hall was at the end of the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers; at least the crowd there is more lively than the pods would have been, IMO XD...

Good updates, and nice photos, BTW, @49ersFootball...

Last time I saw those trees in front of San Francisco City Hall was at the end of the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers; at least the crowd there is more lively than the pods would have been, IMO XD...

Good updates, and nice photos, BTW, @49ersFootball...
I'm still cooking up more spices in this TL as the 49ers will be pushing to repeat as Super Bowl Champions for the upcoming 1984 Season: assuming the 1984 NFL Draft turns out perfectly for them.