1983: San Francisco 49ers knock off Redskins in NFC Championship Game & the aftermath

Would you like to see this TL have major ramifications in the NFL ?

• A.) YES

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • B.) NO

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • C.) Wait & see approach

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters
Walsh
1:59 PM PST, Friday, September 7th, 1984

Walsh Family Residence, Woodside, CA.

1981-12-13 49ers vs. Oilers (I).jpg

Coach Walsh was working on last-minute game film in preparation for the Monday Night Football game against Washington at Candlestick Park. It was going to be focused, detailed-oriented & NO mistakes on either the offensive or defensive sides of the football.

The Rematch from 1983 NFC Championship Game
6:00 PM PST, Monday, September 10th, 1984

Candlestick Park, San Francisco, CA.

1981 NFC Championship (XI).jpg

It was the most talked about, hyped-up, detailed (non-stop) analysis on the rematch from the 1983 NFC Championship between the defending Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers & Washington Redskins, who were still fuming about losing the game in such a way like that in the final minutes. For the 49ers, they realized the Redskins would go after their defense with such aggressiveness & needed to fight like Hell to make sure their home opener wouldn't end in a loss.

Last edited:
The MNF Commentators
6:12 PM PST, Monday, September 10th, 1984

Kathie Lee Gifford_Frank_4_embed.jpg

The announcers for the Monday Night Football game were OJ Simpson, Don Meredith & Frank Gifford (Play-by-Play). This game was going to be a very intriguing one in terms of the standings of the NFC & possible Super Bowl & Playoff ramifications.

Craig, Tyler & Monroe
6:13 PM PST, Monday, September 10th, 1984

1984 Super Bowl (VI).jpg

49ers RBs Roger Craig, Wendell Tyler & Carl Monroe on the sidelines.

In the Monday Night Football game against the Redskins, the 49ers knew their offense would be targeted by the Redskins defense, so some on the 49ers coaching staff decided to hold a last-minute meeting with 49ers RBs Roger Craig, Wendell Tyler & Carl Monroe to get the running game going fast.

Last edited:
Highlights of the Monday Night
Football Game between 49ers & Redskins
6:16 PM PST, Monday, September 10th, 1984

CBS Sports Oddsmakers for the 1984 Super Bowl Championship:

Early Favorite: San Francisco 49ers

Possible Contenders: Chicago Bears, Los Angeles Rams, Minnesota Vikings, Miami Dolphins.

Last edited:
Somewhere in Sacramento:

This crazy woman was watching the 49ers Monday Night Football game against the Redskins: she was googling at 49ers QB Joe Montana once again "Oh BABY. I need you. I want you. I want you so bad."

NFL Experts weighing in:

Frank Gifford: "Good afternoon everyone. I'm Frank Gifford of ABC's Monday Night Football & here with me in a panel discussion on the 1984 NFL Season are some of the greatsof the game of football, who've either played or coached such as Clem Daniels, Bart Starr, Fred Tarkenton & Bum Phillips.

Today, we're going to discuss the defending Super Bowl Champions San Francisco 49ers, who just survived a shootout against the Washington Redskins in what many considered a rematch from the 1983 NFC Championship Game...."

Montana
10:00 AM PST, Thursday, September 13th, 1984
49ers HQ, Santa Clara, CA

1986_Jeno%27s_Pizza_-_28_-_Roger_Craig_%28Joe_Montana_crop%29.jpg

Watching game film of their next opponent: New Orleans Saints. 49ers QB Joe Montana was analyzing the weaknesses of the Saints defense & saw areas the 49ers offense can easily exploit to their advantage "I see there's a weakness in the Saints secondary. Our offense will easily take advantage of this & we all have to press the gas pedal to the limit!"

Last edited:
Highlights of New Orleans Saints @ San Francisco 49ers
1:00 PM PST, Sunday, September 16th, 1984
76237873_8.jpg

linebacker-jim-kovach-and-defensive-end-jim-wilks-of-the-new-orleans-picture-id90495137

defensive-end-lawrence-pillers-of-the-san-francisco-49ers-attempts-to-picture-id90495065

TV Announcers: (CBS Sports) Tom Brookshier (play-by-play), Walter Walker (color commentary).
Referee: Tom Dooley
Game Attendance: 57,611
Game Weather: 65 oF (18 oC); wind 16 mph

1st QTR:
San Francisco: WR Freddie Solomon 31-yd TD pass from QB Joe Montana: 49ers leading 7-0.

2nd QTR:
San Francisco: K Ray Wersching 37-yd FG: 49ers up 10-0.
San Francisco: RB Wendell Tyler 3-yd TD run: 49ers up 17-0.
New Orleans: WR Eugene Goodlow 8-yd TD pass from QB Kenny Stabler: 49ers leading 17-7.
New Orleans: K Morten Andersen 32-yd FG: 49ers leading 17-10 at Halftime.

3rd QTR:
New Orleans: TE Hoby Brenner 26-yd TD pass from QB Kenny Stabler: Game tied up 17-17.
New Orleans: K Morten Andersen 41-yd FG: Saints take the lead 20-17.

4th QTR:
San Francisco: TE Earl Cooper 23-yd TD pass from QB Matt Cavanaugh: 49ers retake the lead 24-20.
San Francisco: K Ray Wersching 22-yd FG: 49ers leading 27-20.
San Francisco: K Ray Wersching 40-yd FG: 49ers leading 30-20
San Francisco: RB Roger Craig 27-yd TD run: 49ers leading 37-20.
******49ers win 37-20

Highlights of San Francisco 49ers @ Philly Eagles
1:00 PM EST, Sunday, September 23rd, 1984
Veterans Stadium, Philly, PA.

matt-cavanaugh-of-the-san-francisco-49ers-turns-to-hand-the-ball-off-picture-id1047440150

wendell-tyler-of-the-san-francisco-49ers-carries-the-ball-against-the-picture-id161611272

Last edited: