Map Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used InkScape (which is free, by the way) to draw the various elements, then I used Paint.NET (again, free) to put the various elements together and overlay the image on top of an image of aged paper.

That's how I make maps as well! :)

Laurentia

Banned
I used InkScape (which is free, by the way) to draw the various elements, then I used Paint.NET (again, free) to put the various elements together and overlay the image on top of an image of aged paper.

Ah. It came out authentic looking.

From the current map contest:

In this TL, a somewhat different set of wives for Henry VIII meant that an
ATL daughter of Henry married a Catholic Habsburg prince and actually bore children: England remained in the Catholic camp, and by the end of the 16th century Protestantism was pretty much stamped flat. The huge, interweaving family of Habsburg-Tudor ended up owning most of Europe, and the Family Concord after the bloody French Wars kept peace in Europe for over a century. All good things come to an end, however, and a revolution of rising expectations in an HRE which hadn't suffered anything nearly as destructive as OTLs 30 years war ended in a shattering explosion...

(The Ottomans were driven out of Europe by a Habsburg military alliance over the course of a century, but they managed to rally at the end and held onto Constantinople: the last great siege was so epic that the City has become a byword for invincibility in Christian Europe).

Bruce

NotFrenchRevolution.png

Well, here is a map I have made, refurbished, remade, refurbished, remade, over and over again, and only now I am mostly satisfied with the result. It is an ASB map, but I think it has an interesting enough idea behind it to post in this thread. I haven't yet completed a write up for it (I am planning on doing something rather large and posting it in the ASB forum one day), but the basic idea is that a fictional nation called Leyguria (a mixture of southern French and northern Italian cultures) came to be in the region of OTL's Piedmont. This map depicts the world in 1895, at the height of colonialism.

Some colouration notes:

• I made my own colour for Leyguria, apologies if it is similar to another
  • I used the 'Other Iberia' colour for the República do Lago da Lua (Florida) because it owns some of the Bahamas
  • I used the Spanish successor colour for the Empire of the Río de Plata because it is far more significant than any other ex-Spanish state
  • I used the CSA colour for the Free Republic (official name) and the USA colour for the Union of Borealia (Borealia in this world refers to North America). Both states broke away from the British Empire violently, but the Free Republic is racist, intolerent and authoritarian.
Anyway, here's the mappity. Leyguria is allies with Venice, Spain, Portugal and Russia, enemies with France, the Netherlands and the Papal States. Any questions about certain countries, or how certain things came to be, I will try and answer, but I am still modifying the ASB scenario.

Leyguria Again.png

Last edited:
What might be interesting is a US/Columbia that has elected monarchs that rule as very powerful presidents until death, with Congress given OTL powers and designed to be the most powerful branch of the government. (As OTL) This would allow the democratic base of America to remain intact, while still allowing for the "inevitability" of a monarch.

That sounds like basically what Hamilton was proposing at the Constitutional Convention, IIRC.

Krall

Banned
That's how I make maps as well! :)

:D

I imagine there are quite a few other cartographer-artisans on here who use a similar method, too.

I've used Inkscape for flags, not for maps. Do you literally draw the country in or what?

In essence you use a tool to draw a path along the country's borders, clicking in order to place each section of the path. It sounds arduous, but if you just sit down and do it, and you're not concerned about excessive levels detail, then it *doesn't take too long.

California, although I left before it turn to crap.

Aw, but California doesn't have a strange or ridiculous demonym like Inidiana! "Six-foot-six Hoosier" rolls off the tongue better than "Six-foot-six Californian".

Ah. It came out authentic looking.

Thank you! :D

The World in 1985. Officially Germany and Austria are neutral, they only just elected communist governments. With Germany neutral the USA-Europe relations deteriorated, France leading the push to resist decolonisation, and Europe has gradually shifted right over the past 40 years to near fascism (except for Spain of course). Meanwhile, a less pressured in the West USSR was able to more or less avoid the Sino-Soviet split (things are a little touchy from time to time, but after India went communist China has been more diplomatic towards the USSR). The Commonwealth is largely neutral (South Africa not being a part of it).

reallycold.png

The World in 1985. Officially Germany and Austria are neutral, they only just elected communist governments. With Germany neutral the USA-Europe relations deteriorated, France leading the push to resist decolonisation, and Europe has gradually shifted right over the past 40 years to near fascism (except for Spain of course). Meanwhile, a less pressured in the West USSR was able to more or less avoid the Sino-Soviet split (things are a little touchy from time to time, but after India went communist China has been more diplomatic towards the USSR). The Commonwealth is largely neutral (South Africa not being a part of it).

Cuba never goes Red?

Nicaragua looks like it's a mess. What happened to Iran?

The USA invaded Nicaragua after they went communist, while Iran went communist instead of theocratic and was pressured by the USSR to create its only little ethnic SSRs to make the Kurds and Arabs less likely to fear Communism.

I've used Inkscape for flags, not for maps. Do you literally draw the country in or what?

Well, yes. I put a basemap in as a background and draw on top of it to get a reference, but basically you just draw. It's not all that different from making any other kind of map except you are using vectors instead of pixels.

I honestly think that this is a probably outcome of a Finlandized but united Germany post-1949.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.