L’Aigle Triomphant: A Napoleonic Victory TL

Or the post could have been very clear and both these people could be arguing in bad faith
In doubt and to avoid unnecessarily accusing someone I'll go with what the post itself says, and it says that
No, if his post was very clear then he woud not have had to clarify the post by addinig a qualification to explain his post that he intended his post to address apply to certain situations.

No, if his post was very clear then he woud not have had to clarify the post by addinig a qualification to explain his post that he intended his post to address apply to certain situations.
I disagree very much with that
Further explaining something to someone does not mean that the initial message wasnt clear, but that the receiver might still have needed additional help regardless

I disagree very much with that
Further explaining something to someone does not mean that the initial message wasnt clear, but that the receiver might still have needed additional help regardless
So, you think it was clear but other people think it wasn't. I can live with that.
It's OK for people to disagree. Really, it is.

No the common peoples themselves cared nothing for colonies and had little say in the matter, but the elites and politicians certainly did and even sometime it was the ambition of a few select individuals. Saying Europeans wanted colonies is wrong, most of them cared about making ends.
I suppose you know that people can want several things simultaneously, even if later, when having to choose, they will prioritize some over others.

The fact that at that time the public wanted to have colonies does not necessarily mean that they will forget about "making ends" or that, if given the choice, they will prioritize prestige over eating.

(Even if there are surely people who do that, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are the majority.)

Well, it usually helps to ask for clarification instead of acting "lol look how funny I am, I'm going to respond with something totally random and unrelated to make the other person look stupid instead of addressing what they're saying."

I'm very interested in how Brazil will develop. With the Portuguese Court remaining there, they have more resources to expand into Uruguay and Argentina.

I'm very interested in how Brazil will develop. With the Portuguese Court remaining there, they have more resources to expand into Uruguay and Argentina.
If Brazil expands into Uruguay and Argentina, then these areas may benefit if Portugal becomes a viniculture powerhouse. :cool:

Gave the timeline a read after seeing it in the turtle doves - very enthralling! I will note that we haven't yet gotten an update dedicated to post-war France (which seems, y'know, important) so I wonder what you're saving it for?

L'Empereur must be respected!

Alright everyone, let’s cut out this weird colonialism tangent, that’s enough
Oh, definitely
Gave the timeline a read after seeing it in the turtle doves - very enthralling! I will note that we haven't yet gotten an update dedicated to post-war France (which seems, y'know, important) so I wonder what you're saving it for?

L'Empereur must be respected!
Thank you! I think I touched on this a bit at the margins rather than directly, granted, in some of the postwar economic updates

Yep. I think that Pedro will declare the Empire of brazil once he takes the throne.
Might be the case where declares it "Empire of Brazil and Portugal" in order to estabilish the de facto Brazilian Empire while keeping the claim to Portugal because even as Brazil acquired its independence IOTL he was still trying to assert his claim there through his daughter

Might be the case where declares it "Empire of Brazil and Portugal" in order to estabilish the de facto Brazilian Empire while keeping the claim to Portugal because even as Brazil acquired its independence IOTL he was still trying to assert his claim there through his daughter
true enough

If Brazil expands into Uruguay and Argentina, then these areas may benefit if Portugal becomes a viniculture powerhouse. :cool:
I doubt that Brazil would try with the Spanish Empire alive and a Rio de la Plata that without the chaos of independence is most likely experiencing a strong boom thanks to trade. In this scenario, I see it more likely that Brazil will try to create an internal division between the eastern band and the rest of La Plata over the coming decades.

I doubt that Brazil would try with the Spanish Empire alive and a Rio de la Plata that without the chaos of independence is most likely experiencing a strong boom thanks to trade.
On the flip side, Brazil is also much stronger than OTL, without the Court leaving Rio and without the costly Independence War that practically bankrupted the early Brazilian Empire. There will be some trade in the Río de la Plata, I believe, but Rio de Janeiro could remain the primary destination for commerce in South America, especially if the Opening of the Ports still happened.
In this scenario, I see it more likely that Brazil will try to create an internal division between the eastern band and the rest of La Plata over the coming decades.
That's a possibility, but it's important to contextualize things: Portugal had wanted control of the eastern margin of the Plata ever since the 17th century, that's why they founded Colônia do Sacramento there and also founded Montevideo (which was later destroyed and refounded by the Spanish).
That is, without the instability of the late-1810s and early-1820s in Brazil, the Portuguese Court in-exile is much better prepared for a conquest of the Banda Oriental than IOTL and without independence, it may be able to hold it instead of the Empire which lost it in the Cisplatine War due to a conjunction of factors (Defeats on land campaigns and the Confederation of the Equator revolt, in which thousands of soldiers were mobilized and were kept in the Northeast for "pacification" purposes and most importantly the refusal of the Brazilian Parliament in funding the war as a protest of Pedro I's closure of it during the 1823 constitutional assembly). None of this (except MAYBE land campaign defeats, but even then I doubt it as many experienced Portuguese soldiers will remain in Brazil ITTL) will happen ITTL.
IF Portugal-Brazil conquers Uruguay, that might once again create new independist feelings in the porteño elites as they would believe that Spain wouldn't be prioritizing their security, which could: a) Result in an independence war or at least a major anti-Spain revolt in Buenos Aires or b) Result in a war between Spain and Portugal

EDIT: Also, if this map is not wrong, Argentina is already independent

Last edited:
I doubt that Brazil would try with the Spanish Empire alive and a Rio de la Plata that without the chaos of independence is most likely experiencing a strong boom thanks to trade. In this scenario, I see it more likely that Brazil will try to create an internal division between the eastern band and the rest of La Plata over the coming decades.
Honestly the problem with that is that Spain was essentially in the toilet in many ways, even without Napoleon, they would just be in need of several reforms and REALLY rethinking the way they run their colonies because it wasn't really sustainable

True

It was planned to include Bulgaria and Constantinople - and Bulgarians outnumbering Greece in OTL 1900
That doesn’t mean much within this context as the Bulgarian national identity as we know it hasn’t fully formed.

The Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Phanariotes have basically created a de-facto “Greek Hegemony” through the Millet of Rumellia.

Cities like Plovdiv were Greek and there was more or less a sort of “Hellenoslavism” present as ethic lines were blurred with everyone more or less united around a common religion, the Orthodox Church (the liturgical language for the most part was Greek), and a hatred of the Turks.

If anything the local people are probably more nostalgic toward the memory of the Byzantine Empire, the “Orthodox Christian Empire.” If it’s revived, that will probably be the focus of identity and nationhood.

Keep in mind the romantic notions of the Hellenic past were in the minds of a few elites while most everyone else held memories of the Roman past. Theodore Kolokotronis, said himself to the bafflement of a British officer that he was basically carrying on the fight Constantine XI started. This idea was still significant in modern Greece which was why King George’s son being named Constantine, was a huge deal.

Honestly the problem with that is that Spain was essentially in the toilet in many ways, even without Napoleon, they would just be in need of several reforms and REALLY rethinking the way they run their colonies because it wasn't really sustainable
There is a thin line between Spain doing worse in the 19th century and a Vlad Tepes award.