Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

To be honest, I think (and I don't know about the others) that recently a lot of the themes have been really specific. It makes it hard to come up with a concept.

Better for the themes to be a bit more open ended I think, given that the alternative tends to just be that nobody submits.

I know for example I was quite interested in the idea of a theme surrounding democracy and autocracy, thus why I made my earlier suggestion, but this theme that was chosen I have no idea how to present on a map. So I've not done one.
I completely agree with this. I could not find a scenario that I was satisfied with because the prompt left little room for creativity. I'm kinda new here, but I feel that more general topics like MoTF 279 or 281 are much more exciting to work on, and thus I am willing to sacrifice more study hours to make maps. If I had time to waste, I would have put more work into this fortnight's, because it wasn't a bad prompt (I think it's important to remark that). But after all, I believe this is a hobby for most (if not all) of us, and balancing this with other responsibilities makes it so that prompts have to be flexible enough to create a lot of quick and quirky ideas.

I completely agree with this. I could not find a scenario that I was satisfied with because the prompt left little room for creativity. I'm kinda new here, but I feel that more general topics like MoTF 279 or 281 are much more exciting to work on, and thus I am willing to sacrifice more study hours to make maps. If I had time to waste, I would have put more work into this fortnight's, because it wasn't a bad prompt (I think it's important to remark that). But after all, I believe this is a hobby for most (if not all) of us, and balancing this with other responsibilities makes it so that prompts have to be flexible enough to create a lot of quick and quirky ideas.
I'm also fairly new to this and have not often submitted maps, but I do wonder whether the prompts have just become super niche because the people who usually submit have done so many prompts already haha.

I think it could be potentially interesting to look back at some of the prompts from a few years back which were particularly successful and re-run a bunch of them as sorta like a "the best of MOTF".

Got it. I appreciate all the open feedback. Here's what I'll do:
  1. I can generalize the prompt for this round, make it about the first time a democracy is implemented in a specific country, not the world. I'll reset the clock so people have adequate time to work.
  2. It's been a bit challenging to find prompts that haven't already been used, so if folks want to take a look at the archives and suggest prompts they would like to see return for a part two, that would be a big help. Drop the description of each prompt in the main thread as a separate message and give a like to prompts that you would participate in.
This is all about what you all think is interesting and engaging, so if you have any additional ideas or thoughts for improvement, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Here's one that I would like to see return:
Map of the Fortnight: From Sea 2 Sea
Make a map showing a country that borders two significant bodies of water.

Floating some potential ideas for future contests. Please let me know if there are any you like or any you hate:
  1. Current Events: Create a map featuring an alternate coastline
  2. Exotic Exile: Create a map of a former penal colony
  3. A Little More Time: Create a map of a world where the first successful European expedition to the Americas occurred in the 17th century
  4. Columbia is Dead: Create a map after the Age of Revolutions fails, leaving most European monarchies and their colonies intact
  5. In the Heights: Create a map of the tallest buildings in the world in an alternate timeline

Reminder that if you have any ideas for future contest rounds, please feel free to drop them in this thread. The following are ideas I have, but haven't used yet. Let me know if you like any them or have ideas of your own.
  1. Current Events: Create a map featuring an alternate coastline
  2. A Little More Time: Create a map of a world where the first successful European expedition to the Americas occurred in the 17th century
  3. Columbia is Dead: Create a map after the Age of Revolutions fails, leaving most European monarchies and their colonies intact

I really like Columbia is Dead, gives me a lot of ideas.
Current Events is also very cool, if only I could find an Atlantropa basemap 🤔

Last edited: