In 1983, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas released their second film collaboration - "Star Wars: Return of the Jedi." Spielberg was always Lucas' first choice to direct the third Star Wars movie after "Empire" director Irvin Kershner walked away from the franchise. But it almost didn't happen - DGA rules nearly prevented Spielberg from helming ROTJ. Yet a deal was struck between Lucas and the DGA that allowed Spielberg to direct "Return of the Jedi."

But what if Lucas and DGA had never come to an agreement and Spielberg was forced to turn down the "Star Wars" gig? Might Lucas have persuaded Kershner to direct once again? Who else might Lucas have sought out? How would ROTJ have turned out had Spielberg not directed it?

Maybe it wouldn’t have been a disaster.

Another director might have brought back Ford and might not have had the Luke and Leia forced together.

Not exactly a crowd pleasing ending.

Another director might have brought back Ford and might not have had the Luke and Leia forced together.

A disaster? IMO the climactic attack on the Imperial capital of Coruscant is one of the best action sequences of the 1980s. Sure, ROTJ isn't quite as good as Empire or the 1977 original. But few movies are after all...

The movie is certainly messy and the film gets a bit rushed towards the end. There certainly enough potential for a fourth film to be found. Things like Leia's mother having been Jedi who was killed when she was a little girl by Vader should have been a cool moment rather than something Yoda tells Luke halfway into Act 2. It should have been a bigger part, instead, it's just sort of an excuse for Leia to learn the force and get a lightsaber (Fisher always jokes about how the prop they gave her looked like a big purple dildo) and fight Vader to avoid having Luke try and kill his father. Still, Speilberg did bring his standard "big emotional payoff" touch to the whole thing, so by the time, Leia refuses to kill Vader in revenge to pay homage to her mother most people tend to forget that a lot of that payoff isn't really earned. Especially when Vader decides to save Luke at the expense of his own life because of it. The twin lines from Leia and Vader ("No I won't kill you, I'm a Jedi, like my mother before me" and when asked why he would stop the Emperor from killing Luke Vader's response of "Because I am Anakin Skywalker, a Jedi Knight") are pretty much up there with "may the Force be with you" as lines people who haven't even seen the films at least sort of know. The whole Luke and Leia hook up just after we hear as an audience that Han is dead sort of feels gross, and it would have been nice to see them get justice on this Jabba person, but like I said the film is pretty packed as it is and they likely couldn't find a way to fit it in.

I think at a certain point Star Wars fatigue had set in. The film isn't exactly a disaster, it did plenty well at the box office, but even Lucas seemed to recognize that the story was getting repetitive. There's a reason that the property has been more or less dead since outside of a few licensed video games and a couple of comics that he has no hand in and are basically just contract riders that he sold decades ago. I know HBO keeps saying that they're planning on doing a prequel series about the rise of the Empire and the Clone Wars that barely get mentioned but they haven't even found actors to play the main cast of Obi-Wan, Anakin, or Leia's mother Padme, much less anything else. Lucas says he plans to write for it, but pretty much everyone agrees that this just means that he'll write the basic outline and world-building and leave the rest up to the showrunners. That's been his MO pretty much since he retired from actual directing in 1999.

Last edited:
The movie is certainly messy and the film gets a bit rushed towards the end. There certainly enough potential for a fourth film to be found. Things like Leia's mother having been Jedi who was killed when she was a little girl by Vader should have been a cool moment rather than something Yoda tells Luke halfway into Act 2. It should have been a bigger part, instead, it's just sort of an excuse for Leia to learn the force and get a lightsaber (Fisher always jokes about how the prop they gave her looked like a big purple dildo) and fight Vader to avoid having Luke try and kill his father. Still, Speilberg did bring his standard "big emotional payoff" touch to the whole thing, so by the time, Leia refuses to kill Vader in revenge to pay homage to her mother most people tend to forget that a lot of that payoff isn't really earned. Especially when Vader decides to save Luke at the expense of his own life because of it. The twin lines from Leia and Vader ("No I won't kill you, I'm a Jedi, like my mother before me" and when asked why he would stop the Emperor from killing Luke Vader's response of "Because I am Anakin Skywalker, a Jedi Knight") are pretty much up there with "may the Force be with you" as lines people who haven't even seen the films at least sort of know. The whole Luke and Leia hook up just after we hear as an audience that Han is dead sort of feels gross, and it would have been nice to see them get justice on this Jabba person, but like I said the film is pretty packed as it is and they likely couldn't find a way to fit it in.

I think at a certain point Star Wars fatigue had set in. The film isn't exactly a disaster, it did plenty well at the box office, but even Lucas seemed to recognize that the story was getting repetitive. There's a reason that the property has been more or less dead since outside of a few licensed video games and a couple of comics that he has no hand in and are basically just contract riders that he sold decades ago. I know HBO keeps saying that they're planning on doing a prequel series about the rise of the Empire and the Clone Wars that barely get mentioned but they haven't even found actors to play the main cast of Obi-Wan, Anakin, or Leia's mother Padme, much less anything else. Lucas says he plans to write for it, but pretty much everyone agrees that this just means that he'll write the basic outline and world-building and leave the rest up to the showrunners. That's been his MO pretty much since he retired from actual directing in 1999.

After ROTJ Lucas returned to directing and he starting making the "personal independent movies" he'd always talked about. His first movie after Star Wars was "The Color Purple," which Spielberg had passed on in order to direct ROTJ. Despite the Oscar nomination, a Best Director win alluded Lucas once again. His final film, released in 1999, was actually quite good. It wasn't a smash hit at the box office but critics were impressed by how much Lucas had matured as a director.

Perhaps if he'd continued with the Star Wars franchise Lucas would've been stuck in the 1970s for the rest of his career. I remember that one idea he had for a prequel trilogy involved something called "Midicholorians" that were like DNA for the Force. Had he directed that Lucas might've become a parody of himself by the 2000s.

I hear had Spielberg passed it up, he would have worked on another film about aliens coming to earth called Extraterrestrial, and it wan't a sequel to Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The alien designs were even incorporated into ROTJ in the form of Lairtser Retartxe.

I hear had Spielberg passed it up, he would have worked on another film about aliens coming to earth called Extraterrestrial, and it wan't a sequel to Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The alien designs were even incorporated into ROTJ in the form of Lairtser Retartxe.

I don't think there's any doubt that the special effects in ROTJ were the best out of all the Star Wars movies.

Careful what you wish for.

I heard that Lucas was seriously considering a plot-line where Luke and Han were actually half-brothers.. and they were BOTH sons of Vader!

I think Lucas's reasoning was that Han gets his pilot skills from inheriting Vader's force powers, but he turned his back on truly embracing the Force when saw the Jedi Order fall.

Careful what you wish for.

I heard that Lucas was seriously considering a plot-line where Luke and Han were actually half-brothers.. and they were BOTH sons of Vader!

I think Lucas's reasoning was that Han gets his pilot skills from inheriting Vader's force powers, but he turned his back on truly embracing the Force when saw the Jedi Order fall.

I think the poorly thought out plot threads were the real reason why Ford didn't return for ROTJ. After Indiana Jones, for whatever reason Lucas just wasn't keen on working with Ford again.

Maybe if ROTJ had worked out we would've gotten that sequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark. Still, Ford's 1980s film career was successful as it was.

George Lucas talked about David Lynch was a posible possible second choice if Steven wasn't available..boy that would have been a trippy film

I think the poorly thought out plot threads were the real reason why Ford didn't return for ROTJ. After Indiana Jones, for whatever reason Lucas just wasn't keen on working with Ford again.

Maybe if ROTJ had worked out we would've gotten that sequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark. Still, Ford's 1980s film career was successful as it was.
I think Ford and Lucas's issues have always been because they're both pretty intense and introverted guys who have radically different approaches to the art of film making. Lucas, for the most part, has rarely talked about Ford and when asked usually just focuses the conversation on their work together. The most out of him has been talking about how irritating it was to deal with Ford wanted to kill off Han so he could move on with his career. Ford meanwhile has been pretty open about his issue with Lucas being that Lucas is "a cinamatagrapher first, an effects guy second, and a director a distant third" by which he means that most of Lucas's focus on a set is on pretty much everything other than his actors, trusting them to just read the lines in the scrip and get on with the scene. Some actors work well with that style, method actors tend to dislike working with him because they're used to feeding off the emotion of a scene and working with a director while the old school stage actors are far more comfortable simply working off book to get the desired effect. There's a reason the likes of Peter Cushing and Alec Guinness tended to be fairly complementary of him (though Guinness didn't come around until working with Lucas on their '97 film about the Battle of Britan).

There's a reason it's called, "Revenge of the Critics" especially given its abyssmal jokes and just plain awful screenwriting. Rumor was they considered reshooting the entire movie after seeing the first run - and they would probably have made a much better movie.

Dolan

Banned
Leia being Jedi blood is one of the biggest glaring plothole in Star Wars though, the very fact that she could NOT control her Force Powers at first meant either the Emperor OR Vader might actually sense her without someone there to cover her force signature, and unlike Farmer Luke, she was a freaking Senator.

There's a reason it's called, "Revenge of the Critics" especially given its abyssmal jokes and just plain awful screenwriting. Rumor was they considered reshooting the entire movie after seeing the first run - and they would probably have made a much better movie.
I mean the same thing could have been said about A New Hope. It was basically saved in the editing bay. Hell Empire was basically rewritten on set by the cast and crew. Lucas himself admits that he struggles with writing dialogue and tends to avoid writing the scripts he directed after Star Wars. The issue is that Speilberg also doesn't do dialogue well and is perfectly content to simply push his cast through rough scripts rather than let them come up with new lines.

Leia being Jedi blood is one of the biggest glaring plothole in Star Wars though, the very fact that she could NOT control her Force Powers at first meant either the Emperor OR Vader might actually sense her without someone there to cover her force signature, and unlike Farmer Luke, she was a freaking Senator.
The biggest plot hole of it all is that Anakin knew her mother. They were friends for years alongside Obi-Wan doing the Clone Wars. Granted she didn't have a child until after the war, but it's not like they never met. They were supposed to be like Han, Luke, and Leia were, you know before Anakin turned to the dark side and killed them.

That's sort of what makes the idea of a series set during that time so appealing to fans and critics. The idea of watching a good man, a Jedi, slowly be corrupted by his thirst for power, his desire for greater things, and his fear of losing his position in the world should the war end. All set to the backdrop of a massive Galaxy wide war against an endless army of evil clones. So far all we get is a few flashbacks in the comics, a bunch of fan fiction, and a single grainy footage of Lucas at a Q&A at comic con talking about the main scenes he was hoping to include (Luke's mother fleeing Vader once she realized what he had become only to die in childbirth, Vader and the new Imperial Army marching on the Jedi Temple, the Emperor using the war to slowly gain power over the Republic, and Vader's duel with Obi-Wan and Padme which left Vader so scared that he needed the suit for the rest of his life, Padme was also supposed to be badly hurt during it.) It's how HBO has strung people along for years through dozens of cast changes and different creative minds being attached to the whole thing.

Dolan

Banned
, the Emperor using the war to slowly gain power over the Republic
The HBO "Reveal" about how Emperor Palatine's real name being the Jedi Master Sheev, who fallen under Darth Plagueis' teachings, resign and becoming a Politician... Is either the cringiest or the most brilliant moment, depending on who you ask.

It also shed the light on how Yoda and Obi-Wan refused to tell much about the Old Jedi Order to Luke, because most of the Imperial higher ups turned out to be corrupted Jedis