Germany at least is working on the same thing, and it is reasonable to assume that the UK is still working on their biowarfare program.
The Brits had their own Nuclear Weapon program. Since the war largely wasn't a direct threat to the British Isles and its shipping, their economy and infrastructure are in a much better state than IOTL and they haven't handed off the research to the US, they probably will have their own nukes before the decade ends independently of the foreign sunlight-in-a-bucket programs.

By the way, has the Bengali Famine been butterflied away by the reduced pressure, as opposed to OTL, of the war on Great Britain and its Empire?

I keep on thinking of some of the movies not being made in this timeline:

Mrs. Miniver
The Best Years of Our Lives
They Were Expendable
In Which We Serve
The Miracle of Morgan Creek
Casablanca
So Proudly We Hail!

By the way, has the Bengali Famine been butterflied away by the reduced pressure, as opposed to OTL, of the war on Great Britain and its Empire?
Almost certainly. A big part of the problem was that Burma (which could export normally rice to supplement any shortfalls) was still occupied by the Japanese OTL and the Bay of Bengal enough of a war zone to preclude the use of coastal shipping or transport planes. TTL, Japanese pushed back to the sea of Japan, and no U-boat attrition of British (and Free Dutch and Norwegian) shipping for the last four years. India's lorries and trains not so urgently needed for war effort either. So readily accessible rice, normal coastal shipping and additional shipping, road vehicles, trains and (to a limited extent) aircraft more readily available. And more cash in British coffers as Malaya never occupied over previous four years. Might be a hiccup in British military support due to need to relieve potential famine to contend with though this shouldn't affect their naval contribution

A lot of classic films will not be made ITTL, but then a different set of films will be.

Even a lot of the interwar films would have been butterflied away, since the war went so different. This TL's Lord of the Rings would be a great read, I suspect; not sure how different it will be, though.

Even a lot of the interwar films would have been butterflied away, since the war went so different. This TL's Lord of the Rings would be a great read, I suspect; not sure how different it will be, though.

Considering it was largely inspired by Tolkein's time on the Western Front, I doubt it was changed at all

Part 35, Chapter 424
Chapter Four Hundred Twenty-Four

29th September 1944

Formosa

“Any man over the age of majority who wants to exercise the very rights we are defending please get in line as instructed and exercise his civic duty” The Kapitan zur See said in conclusion as he addressed the Regiment. Tilo couldn’t help but notice that there was a newsreel crew filming the whole thing.

“Any idea what this is about?” The man behind Tilo asked.

“There must be a General Election going on back home” Tilo said, “The Kapitan is suggesting that we vote.”

“Really” Reier said, “They want us to take part here?”

“It’s because of time zones” Tilo replied, “Ours might be the first votes cast in this election because of the date line, here or Freemantle. That’s why the film crew is here.”

“Wow” Reier said.

Later they were standing in line with all the other R’s and S’s. Reier had it easy, the odds of there being another Wenzeslaus Reier was extremely remote. Tilo on the other hand as aware of at least a dozen other men with Schultz as their last name in his Regiment alone. He had to give his full name, Dietrich Ignatz Schultz and then match up the serial number on his identity disk.

“This is the Federal ballot” The Functionary handing Tilo a sheet of paper and a pen, “This one is for the State of Brandenburg and when your done filling them out put them both in the drop box. Try not to discuss your choices with your friends while you do that.”

Tilo walked over to where Reier was sitting in the shaded area used as the enlisted men’s mess filling out the forms. Tilo sat down and started reading the State form.

“What are you thinking, Kid?” Reier asked.

“That I’ve been away from home for way too long” Tilo said, “I don’t recognize most of these names.”

“The Federal form is easier” Reier said, “So who’re you for as Chancellor, Augustus Lang or Konrad Adenauer?”

“You know we were told not to discuss that with each other” Tilo said, “And there are more than just two candidates.”

“Those are the only two that really count” Reier said, “And since when have you known me to follow rules that no one expects anyone to?”

Tilo shook his head and began filling out the forms, Reier did have a point there.

Potsdam

Kat was reading the newspaper to the Empress as she was laying in her bed. As in the past Kira had swiftly grown stir crazy in these situations it had fallen on Kat to think of things to do that weren’t strenuous, not something that she was really equipped to do.

“After heavy fighting continued for a second day in Riyadh. A spokesman for the Sultan has declared the city safe and the City’s Army victorious” Kat read aloud, she put that paper aside, “Sorry your Highness but the way I read this is that the raiders left the city with as much as they could carry. The locals are declaring victory because the raiders left.”

“That is how it works in the Arabian Desert” Cecilie said, “Ancient grievances, tribal warfare and raiding neighbors is the pastime.”

“You know a thing or two about it?” Kira asked.

“The whole region is a bit of a mess” Cecilie said, “After the First Great War the British and the Ottomans left. The locals were left to their own devices. It really is like a giant pot of crabs.”

Kat understood that metaphor, crabs will pull each other back into the pot, preventing them from escaping. Her understanding of the Near East was that it had divided along ethnic and sectarian lines after the First Great War. The only times they could agree with each other was when one faction got too powerful. Then they would band together to take that faction down.

“I once had a Sultan from there offer to marry me just from seeing my photograph” Kira said, “He said that I would be the third or fourth most treasured of his wives.”

“Really?” Kat asked, “Wives, as in plural?”

Kira nodded with a smile.

“I couldn’t imagine” Kat said.

“You two can continue without me” Cecilie said and she left the room. Kat presumed that she was going to check on what Princess Alexandrine was doing. Cecilie’s oldest daughter had been born with a severe medical condition, the result was that she was mentally and physically impaired. The truth was that Alexandrine was a sweet soul who was totally dependent upon her mother. It was a bit of a worry for the Imperial Family as to what would happen to Adini when Cecilie was no longer around.

“What’s the next story?” Kira asked.

Kat scanned the headlines below the fold.

“British comment about crop failure and the success of humanitarian aid in India over the last year” Kat read aloud. The assessment by Abwehr had been that the British had only acted in India to prevent people from starving after a crop failure in Bengal because they didn’t want to give Indian Nationalists a club to pound them over the head with. Having their own names mentioned in the same breath as Stalin in light of what had happened in Ukraine was not something they wanted to have happen.

“The last thing I want to hear about is self-congratulatory drivel” Kira said, “What else is there?”

“Friday the 29th of September, that is tomorrow, is Election Day, Berlin Police are bracing for massive celebration, snarled traffic, Kat read aloud, “Requesting volunteers from other municipalities.”

“Are you going to be out in that?” Kira asked.

“No” Kat said, “I’m not comfortable in crowds like that. I’m planning on going to my neighborhood to vote, then spend the afternoon with Marcella and Gianna.”

“That would probably be much better than cooped up in here” Kira said, “I’d actually go with you if I could.”

“Knowing Marcella, she’ll probably want to go out” Kat said, “Her idea of that is Gert’s Tavern. Unless you’re a fan of spilled drinks, cigarette smoke, foul language and football it’s not for you.”

“Katherine” Kira said, “Your idea of commonplace is someone else’s idea of an adventure. Ever think that I wouldn’t mind seeing a place like that, even if it’s just to feel the energy of the room? And don’t think for an instant that I’m unaware that your Uncle is co-owner of that establishment.”

Kat had never thought of it that way.

Last edited:
“British comment about crop failure and the success of humanitarian aid in India over the last year” Kat read aloud. The assessment by Abwehr had been that the British had only acted in India to prevent people from starving after a crop failure in Bengal because they didn’t want to give Indian Nationalists a club to pound them over the head with. Having their own names mentioned in the same breath as Stalin in light of what had happened in Ukraine was not something they wanted to have happen.
Britain will have a very different leadership TTL. No Abyssinia so no Hoare-Laval pact. No discrediting of appeasement and no "Men of Munich". Chamberlainites in firm control of government Sir Sam Hoare probably PM by now, Halifax Foreign Secretary and Walter Elliott has just replaced the late Kingsley Wood (or maybe not for a year or two yet, he is thought to have worked himself to death during WW2 OTL -less stress on him this TTL) as Chancellor of the Exchequer. Neville Chamberlain is the revered former PM who died at the height of his powers - great statesman and the founder of British state healthcare and an expander of welfare provision. And Winston Churchill is a failed politician and backbench maverick (and talented writer) who will provide the prototype for Enoch Powell and Robert Rhode James. And Alan Clark -less the threesomes.
Elliott and Margesson and Rab Butler will be the coming men of the National (Conservative Government). With no fascists to model himself on TTL Oswald Mosley either leading the New Party or else Attlee's Labour Party's left wing firebrand and Shadow Secretary of State for War (safest place to put him, the bastard was at least suprisingly sound on defence issues).

Part 35, Chapter 425
Chapter Four Hundred Twenty-Five

29th September 1944

Berlin

“You’re her window into the lives of ordinary people” Marcella said mildly.

“My life is anything but ordinary” Kat replied.

“It’s as close as anything she will likely ever get” Marcella said, “Do you think she could sit at this table without the whole room being cleared first? Only you, me and perhaps Gert allowed to stay.”

“Fair point” Kat said. They were talking about the conversation that Kat had with the Empress the night before while sitting at a corner table in the Local.

It was subdued for a Friday night. With the Election day celebrations in full swing most of the end of the week crowd was elsewhere. Instead it was just people from around the neighborhood curious about the election returns or had nowhere better to be tonight. It was a ticklish proposition for Gert and his staff, politics and alcohol did not make for a great mix.

“I heard from your brother today” Marcella said, “It turns out he’s not going to China, he was disappointed.”

It actually was a relief for Marcella. Everything Kat had said about what was expected in the Far East was that the Heer was expecting a real meatgrinder sometime next spring.

“Heard anything from your Scottish friend?” Marcella asked, “I know that he likes to go where the action is.”

Marcella was at a bit of a loss when it came to Douglass. She had known that Kat would meet someone for years but she’d hoped that her niece would have found a way past her boundary issues before that happened. Instead when Kat had met this interesting man who seemed to be patient and caring but she couldn’t quite bring herself to let him into her life. It was so difficult to tell if Kat was genuinely trying or just going through the motions.

“He’s Canadian” Kat said, “And Doug doesn’t need to tell me his plans, he goes where his work takes him.”

Marcella frequently wondered if Kat let people drift away from her whenever she got scared. This was just more of that sort of thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Augustus Lang was waiting for the returns to come in. He had two speeches prepared. One thanking the public for the renewed mandate and how he looked forward to building a better future. The other thanked the public for giving him the opportunity to have served. While it would be clear whether or not he would remain as Chancellor fairly early on it would be the makeup of the Reichstag that would make it a late night and once the election was over the real work would began. This was where the Reichstag bombing was felt even years later.

César Sauvageot was said to have blown up the Reichstag to get revenge for the Great War and for repeated personal humiliations. The mad Frenchman hadn’t wiped out the Government in its entirety but he had managed to kill most of the backbenchers. Those were the people who had the intimate knowledge of policy, the ones who made the deals and built the coalitions.

The problems of the Far East and the stability of Russia remained at the back of Lang’s mind as he was watching the television. The news report was making a big deal about the first returns were from Soldiers in the field in China. Lang agreed that it was a wonder that they were able to include them at such distances but they still had no numbers.

Wunsdorf-Zossen

Hans was looking over the Company’s schedule for the coming week. They were to train on the new rifle, the Brass had decided on a new 6.5 x 38k cartridge that was supposed to be more controllable in full auto and offered improved marksmanship. They had also switched to a gray synthetic material for the handguard and stock that was supposed to be unbreakable and unaffected by changes in the weather. It was said to be a lamination of plasticized linen of all things.

Hans was withholding judgement until he found out if it was soldier proof. Finding out that the stock on the new rifle was hollow didn’t fill him with confidence. And if the war had taught him anything it was that marksmanship wasn’t everything. Frequently when he’d had a rifle in full auto it was when he had no time to think about what he was doing, just point and shoot. The only bullets that missed were the ones that went over the Russian’s heads.

The reason why they were the among the first Divisions to switch to the new rifle was that they were to stay in Germany for the foreseeable future. The Army Corps that had made up Army Group South, the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 7th were to remain in garrison to retrain and rebuild, much to everyone’s frustration. While Hans was disappointed that he wasn’t going to China, he had his own reasons to be happy that he was to remain in the vicinity of Berlin.

Hans heard two of the men talking about how Germany was keeping the same Chancellor. If Augie Lang was smart enough to win the damned war, why wouldn’t he be kept on? Then they started talking about the likely make up of the Reichstag. Hans remembered the line about laws and sausages. He had found that he was happier the less he thought about politics.

Last edited:
IOTL after WWII, the United States had a lot of returning veterans run for political office, I could see the various political parties in Germany start identifying and grooming returning veterans for office and build up a future stable of backbenchers and leaders.

I could see the United States getting in some mischief by offering to mediate an armistice between Japan and the Allied forces which will allow the United States to get some prestige that it badly needs right now.

I wonder why Japan did not try to take Vladivostok after the fall of the Soviet Union, but before Germany could get there and also Japan should have tried to wreck as much of the Trans-Siberian Railroad as possible.

I wonder why Japan did not try to take Vladivostok after the fall of the Soviet Union, but before Germany could get there and also Japan should have tried to wreck as much of the Trans-Siberian Railroad as possible.
Something we have heard indirectly, but got enough clues to guess is that the German submarines really hurt Japanese trade. Also now that the soldiers encountered are starving.
I Think Japan cannot do offensive operations anymore.

Something we have heard indirectly, but got enough clues to guess is that the German submarines really hurt Japanese trade. Also now that the soldiers encountered are starving.
I Think Japan cannot do offensive operations anymore.
While Germany and the Allies has shutdown trade in the Pacific, the Sea of Japan is basically a Japanese lake.
Manchuria had both the raw materials and industrial capacity to keep the Japanese war machine going, along with Korea, Manchuria also a major food producer and the major cause IOTL Japan for food shortages was the bombing of the Japanese transportation infrastructure by the United States.
We must remember that ITTL the Japanese Home Islands has not been touched in any significant way, so there may be severe food rationing but not any where near starvation levels.
There is of course certain raw materials that Japan cannot get anymore like rubber, I don't know about petroleum but I have no doubt that they are probably hurting.

Part 35, Chapter 426
Chapter Four Hundred Twenty-Six

1st October 1944

Botankou, China

Captain Tarou Kita was a veteran of the numerous battles in China and Indochina that had taken place over the previous decade. When he had fought the German Marine Infantry in the bloody la Drang Valley he had realized that he was faced with a dangerous new opponent. Tarou had been outspoken in his belief of that once they were forced to withdraw north into China after they had been flanked by the Vietnamese Army. The result was that he’d been nearly stripped of rank. Instead he’d been sent to China, north of Chōsen and told to count his blessings.

Here he had found that same enemy was back from a direction that no one was looking. The Japanese Empire had an agreement with the Soviet Union. The two nations would ignore each other while they had bigger fish to fry. Then while all eyes of the Japanese Empire had been focused on Formosa the Government of the Soviet Union had collapsed. The lethargic Chinese had decided to get back into the war by launching an offensive that had dwarfed anything the Japanese could dream of doing. Tarou had seen that it was just the Chinese giant shifting its weight and it had chilled him to the bone. One day the giant would finally wake up.

Here in this isolated corner of China there had been talk among the Officers of going north and wrecking the Russian rail lines or taking the Russian port city in the east. In the end they had lacked men, supplies or even the will to do it. Now it was autumn and by the time winter ended Tarou figured that it would be too late. Already there were rumors of men wearing mottled uniforms the color of dry grass and tanks in Vlodisistok and large numbers of Russians throughout the Trans Baikal region.

When Tarou had been a boy his Grandfather had told him stories of fighting the Russians in the time of the Czars. Grandfather had said frankly that sometimes in the career of a soldier there were times when you had to realize that you were fucked. At that point, the only thing left to do was die with honor. Sometime in the coming months there was going to be entire armies passing right through the place where Tarou was standing and he certainly felt like he was about to be fucked.

Judenbach

Kat still thought that her dress uniform had become completely ridiculous during the course of the war. She had arrived to Judenbach that afternoon. She had listened to enough men who thought that the jewelry that women wore was impractical. Yet here she was wearing more of it than she’d ever dream of wearing and most of it was designed by men to be worn by them. In addition to what Kat had before she had the red and gold of the Commander’s Cross, Order of Merit, a number oakleaves for the merit cross in silver and the red cross medal, second class. After tonight she would never, ever have to look at them again and she was quite happy with that prospect. The 28th Regiment was also headed for China in a couple weeks without her and that didn’t bother her in the least.

“And lastly, I wish to give the now former Operations Officer of the 28th Regiment a fond farewell” General Koch said, “Major von Mischner, we wish you luck advising her Majesty and keeping the enemies of the empire awake at night in fear that you might be hiding under their beds.”

There was a round of “Here, here’s” and laughter after that. Kat nodded her thanks to General Koch. Perhaps if Heinz Thorwald hadn’t died then things would be different. But Koch was right, she was happiest when she was doing what she wanted to be doing. She could never do that in the SKA.

Koch handed Kat something flat wrapped in cloth. She unwrapped the cloth and saw a steel cutout of a cat with two yellow marbles for eyes. This was the one that had been left in Stalin’s office. The Division’s Press Officer caught her attention waving his arm “Can we get a photograph, Freiherrin” he asked. Kat didn’t mind, in the end the cat really had gotten Stalin, after all. She didn’t mind being presented with this, mostly because tomorrow she would drive it to Berlin and drop it off at the Military Museum. There was a series of flashes, Kat had an actual smile on her face for once.

“There is one more thing that we need you to take into the Capitol” Koch said and he unfurled a banner. This one was plain grey with only the ghostly image of a white owl on it super imposed over the three rings of Krupp Steel, Thorwald’s banner. It was perfect. Thorwald had said that he wouldn’t have a banner in the Luftwaffe’s hall until he was truly a ghost. That was exactly the way it had worked out. In spite of the best efforts of the SKA and the German Government the final resting place for Thorwald had never been found. He had disappeared after completing his final mission, the killing of a Soviet General. Kat had realized that it could have ended no other way.

“Thank you for this” Kat said softly. There was polite applause. Everyone in this room was a survivor of some sort. Tonight was for them.

Last edited:
“How bad is it?” Doug asked.

Kat gave a long sigh “Just sitting here like this next to you terrifies me” She answered.

“I’m sorry then” Doug said.

“Don’t be” Kat said, “This really isn’t your fault.”

“You mind” Doug said as he reached his arm around her shoulders.

“Thank you for asking first” She said softly and to his surprise leaned into him and rested her head on his shoulder. She was trying but she still felt as tense as a coiled steel spring.

“I’m such an awful mess” Doug heard Kat whisper.

They sat there for a spell on the steps to Marcella’s house, unsure of what to do after that moment.

Rx: Lean on Doug, PRN[0]. Maybe Kat'll be able to relax, maybe she won't but just sitting quietly together is progress of a sort.

[0] "PRN" is medical shorthand for "as required/needed."

Well... that's answers that question.

I have noticed that no one ITTL is calling for the "Unconditional Surrender" of Japan.

From what I have read on this site, the concept "Unconditional Surrender" in modern warfare is very much an American idea brought from the American Civil War but not an European way to conduct war, first you come to an armistice, then you have a peace treaty to end the war.

Japan IOTL wanted three main things before they surrender to the Allies.
First, keep the Emperor.
Second, no occupation of Japan.
And third, no war crimes tribunal against the IJA and IGN officers.
But after the attack on Pearl Harbor and the Bataan Death March, the American people were not willing to let the Japanese leadership off the hook.
So without Pearl Harbor and Bataan, I don't see the Allies demanding "Unconditional Surrender", but the Allies need to convincing show that there is no way or reason for Japan to continue the war.

So without Pearl Harbor and Bataan, I don't see the Allies demanding "Unconditional Surrender", but the Allies need to convincing show that there is no way or reason for Japan to continue the war.

That depends; is there no Bataan equivalent? Or do our heroes simply not know about it yet? Also is Unit 731 in existence? If Unit 731's research is used, things might get....interesting

That depends; is there no Bataan equivalent? Or do our heroes simply not know about it yet? Also is Unit 731 in existence? If Unit 731's research is used, things might get....interesting
There was no surrender of Singapore, I don't know about the Dutch East Indies, no building of the Burma railroad (The Bridge on the River Kwai), or any other Allied forces mass surrenders that leads to the Japanese abusing Allied POWs.
I don't think that Germany and the other Allies lost any big battles ITTL to the Japanese.

There was no surrender of Singapore, I don't know about the Dutch East Indies, no building of the Burma railroad (The Bridge on the River Kwai), or any other Allied forces mass surrenders that leads to the Japanese abusing Allied POWs.
I don't think that Germany and the other Allies lost any big battles ITTL to the Japanese.
Yep, what would make the Japanese commit the ultimate gaff by using the results of Unit 731,SPECIALLY that Anthrax super strain of theirs.

One thing is to die by bullets and violence, even by the use of toxic Gas that while disliked its part of the Arsenal of War......But something like the use of Anthrax?

It would be way past anything resembling tolerable by the Allies and would demand an immediate escalating of the conflict......

And the MOST tragic? Out of all of the Japanese Commands, the one in Manchuria is JUST the exact kind of clusterfuck of sociopathic Fanatics that would consider a good idea to use Biological Weapons in the German Army to try to halt their steamrolling advance.....

Hans and his comrades will unexpectedly return to the battlefield, but in the wings of Pandora's Box being opened by the Japanese, Worldwide outrage, and Lang having to take the hardest decision on his life.

And Tilo's luck..... What would be the odds of what he contracted in Vietnam its actually the natural form of the Super Strain or whatever biological Weapon is used by the Japanese,, in addition to being an universal blood Donor?

Last edited: