Alternate List of Billboard #1 Hits: Katarn Edition

Eric Clapton joins Whom, renamed The Budgies (1965)
June 5th, 1965: "I Need You" - Whom
June 12th, 1965: "I Need You" - Whom

Event: Joe Moretti leaves Whom to return to session work and is replaced by guitarist Eric Clapton. The band quickly changes their name to The Budgies, though their first hit is still credited as Whom because it was released before Moretti's departure.

Last edited:

January 4th, 1964: "Glad All Over" - The Dave Clark Five (Katarn)
January 11th, 1964: "Baby Let Me Take You Home" - The Animals (Katarn)
January 18th, 1964: "Surfin' Bird" - The Trashmen (oberdada)
January 25th, 1964: "Louie, Louie" - The Kingsmen (oberdada)
February 1st, 1964: "Egyptian Shumba" - The Tammys (markedward)
February 8th, 1964: "Egyptian Shumba" - The Tammys (markedward)
February 15th, 1964: "Egyptian Shumba" - The Tammys (Charles RB)
February 22nd, 1964: "All is Well" - Elvis Presley (Charles RB)
February 29th, 1964: "I Saw Her Standing There" - Rory Storm and the Hurricanes (Katarn)
March 7th, 1964: "I Saw Her Standing There" - Rory Storm and the Hurricanes (Katarn)
March 14th, 1964: "I Idolize You" - The Charmaines (Mad Bad Rabbit)
March 21st, 1964: "Fingertips" - The Miracles (glenn67)
March 28th, 1964: "Fingertips" - The Miracles (glenn67)
April 4th, 1964: "Fingertips" - The Miracles (Katarn)
April 11th, 1964: "Not a Second Time" - Buddy Holly and the Moondogs (Katarn)
April 18th, 1964: "You Don't Own Me" - Lesley Gore (TRH)
April 25th, 1964: "You Don't Own Me" - Lesley Gore (TRH)
May 2nd, 1964: "You Don't Own Me" - Lesley Gore (oberdada)
May 9th, 1964: "You Don't Own Me" - Lesley Gore (Katarn)
May 16th, 1964: "You Don't Own Me" - Lesley Gore (Katarn)
May 23rd, 1964: "You Don't Own Me" - Lesley Gore (TRH)
May 30th, 1964: "You Don't Own Me" - Lesley Gore (TRH)
June 6th, 1964: "Don't Worry Baby" - The Stagehands (oberdada)
June 13th, 1964: "I Get Around" - Mike Love and the Beach Band (oberdada)
June 20th, 1964: "The House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals (Katarn)
June 27th, 1964: "The House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals (Katarn)
July 4th, 1964: "The House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals (TRH)
July 11th, 1964: "Remember" - The Shangri-La's (TRH)
July 18th, 1964: "Remember" - The Shangri-La's (markedward)
July 25th, 1964: "Can't You See That She's Mine" - The Dave Clark Five (Katarn)
August 1st, 1964: "Under the Boardwalk" - The Drifters (Katarn)
August 8th, 1964: "Under the Boardwalk" - The Drifters (oberdada)
August 15th, 1964: "Under the Boardwalk" - The Drifters (oberdada)
August 22nd, 1964: "Under the Boardwalk" - The Drifters (Charles RB)
August 29th, 1964: "I Got My Mojo Working" - Long John Baldry (Charles RB)
September 5th, 1964: "Because" - The Dave Clark Five (glenn67)
September 12th, 1964: "The Way You Do The Things You Do" - The Miracles (glenn67)
September 19th, 1964: "Do Wah Diddy" - Manfred Mann (oberdada)
September 26th, 1964: "Pretty Woman" - Roy Orbison (oberdada)
October 3rd, 1964: "Pretty Woman" - Roy Orbison (Scarlet Jets)
October 10th, 1964: "Pretty Woman" - Roy Orbison (Scarlet Jets)
October 17th, 1964: "Pretty Woman" - Roy Orbison (Charles RB)
October 24th, 1964: "Baby Love" - The Supremes (Charles RB)
October 31st, 1964: "Baby Love" - The Supremes (TRH)
November 7th, 1964: "Leader of the Pack" - The Shangri-La's (TRH)
November 14th, 1964: "Rockin' Pneumonia (and the Boogie Woogie Flu) - The Charmaines (Mad Bad Rabbit)
November 21st, 1964: "You Really Got Me" - The Kings (oberdada)
November 28th, 1964: "You Really Got Me" - The Kings (Katarn)
December 5th, 1964: "You Really Got Me" - The Kings (Katarn)
December 12th, 1964: "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" - The Paramours (TRH)
December 19th, 1964: "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" - The Paramours (TRH)
December 26th, 1964: "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" - The Paramours (Charles RB)

1964 (Table)
The Hot 100 -- 1964 Archive

Code:
+----------------+-------------------------------+-----------------------------+--------------------+
|  ISSUE DATE    |  SONG TITLE                   |  ARTIST                     |  CONTRIBUTOR       |
+----------------+-------------------------------+-----------------------------+--------------------+
|  January 4     |  Glad All Over                |  The Dave Clark Five        |  Katarn            |
|  January 11    |  Baby Let Me Take You Home    |  The Animals                |  Katarn            |
|  January 18    |  Surfin' Bird                 |  The Trashmen               |  oberdada          |
|  January 25    |  Louie, Louie                 |  The Kingsmen               |  oberdada          |
|  February 1    |                               |                             |                    |
+----------------+                               +                             +  markedward        +
|  February 8    |  Egyptian Shumba              |  The Tammys                 |                    |
+----------------+                               +                             +--------------------+
|  February 15   |                               |                             |  Charles RB        |
|  February 22   |  All is Well                  |  Elvis Presley              |  Charles RB        |
|  February 29   |                               |  Rory Storm and the         |                    |
+----------------+  I Saw Her Standing There     +  Hurricanes                 +  Katarn            +
|  March 7       |                               |                             |                    |
|  March 14      |  I Idolize You                |  The Charmaines             |  Mad Bad Rabbit    |
|  March 21      |                               |                             |                    |
+----------------+                               +                             +  glenn67           +
|  March 28      |  Fingertips                   |  The Miracles               |                    |
+----------------+                               +                             +--------------------+
|  April 4       |                               |                             |  Katarn            |
|  April 11      |  Not a Second Time            |  Buddy Holly and the        |  Katarn            |
|                |                               |  Moondogs                   |                    |
|  April 18      |                               |                             |                    |
+----------------+                               +                             +  TRH               +
|  April 25      |                               |                             |                    |
|  May 2         |                               |                             |  oberdada          |
|  May 9         |  You Don't Own Me             |  Lesley Gore                |                    |
+----------------+                               +                             +  Katarn            +
|  May 16        |                               |                             |                    |
|  May 23        |                               |                             |                    |
+----------------+                               +                             +  TRH               +
|  May 30        |                               |                             |                    |
|  June 6        |  Don't Worry Baby             |  The Stagehands             |  oberdada          |
|  June 13       |  I Get Around                 |  Mike Love and the Beach    |  oberdada          |
|                |                               |  Band                       |                    |
|  June 20       |                               |                             |                    |
+----------------+                               +                             +  Katarn            +
|  June 27       |  The House of the Rising Sun  |  The Animals                |                    |
|  July 4        |                               |                             |  TRH               |
|  July 11       |                               |                             |  TRH               |
+----------------+  Remember                     +  The Shangri-La's           +--------------------+
|  July 18       |                               |                             |  markedward        |
|  July 25       |  Can't You See That She's     |  The Dave Clark Five        |  Katarn            |
|                |  Mine                         |                             |                    |
|  August 1      |                               |                             |  Katarn            |
|  August 8      |                               |                             |                    |
+----------------+  Under the Boardwalk          +  The Drifters               +  oberdada          +
|  August 15     |                               |                             |                    |
|  August 22     |                               |                             |  Charles RB        |
|  August 29     |  I Got My Mojo Working        |  Long John Baldry           |  Charles RB        |
|  September 5   |  Because                      |  The Dave Clark Five        |  glenn67           |
|  September 12  |  The Way You Do The Things    |  The Miracles               |  glenn67           |
|                |  You Do                       |                             |                    |
|  September 19  |  Do Wah Diddy                 |  Manfred Mann               |  oberdada          |
|  September 26  |                               |                             |  oberdada          |
|  October 3     |                               |                             |                    |
+----------------+  Pretty Woman                 +  Roy Orbison                +  Scarlet Jets      +
|  October 10    |                               |                             |                    |
|  October 17    |                               |                             |  Charles RB        |
|  October 24    |                               |                             |  Charles RB        |
+----------------+  Baby Love                    +  The Supremes               +--------------------+
|  October 31    |                               |                             |  TRH               |
|  November 7    |  Leader of the Pack           |  The Shangri-La's           |  TRH               |
|  November 14   |  Rockin' Pneumonia (and       |  The Charmaines             |  Mad Bad Rabbit    |
|                |  the Boogie Woogie Flu)       |                             |                    |
|  November 21   |                               |                             |  oberdada          |
|  November 28   |  You Really Got Me            |  The Kings                  |                    |
|  December 5    |                               |                             |                    |
|  December 12   |                               |                             |                    |
+----------------+  You've Lost That Loving      +  The Paramours              +  TRH               +
|  December 19   |  Feeling                      |                             |                    |
|  December 26   |                               |                             |  Charles RB        |

Formation of "California" (1965)
June 19th, 1965: “I Need You” – Whom
June 26th, 1965: “Girl Don’t Tell Me” – California

California is a band made up of Carl Wilson (Vocals, Guitar), Gerry Beckley (Vocals, Bass), Robert Lamm (Vocals, Keyboard), and Jim Gordon (Drums). The group scores their first hit with a track written and produced by Carl's brother Brian.

(I based this off of the real life collaboration between Wilson, Beckley, and Lamm. I thought it would be fun to butterfly Beckley and Lamm to L.A. and have the three of them form a group much earlier. Hope that’s OK.)

July 3rd, 1965 "Girl don't tell me" -California
July 10th, 1965 " Girl don't tell me" - California

( I assume Al Jardine became a Dentist in this TL after all, but how is Denis Wilson doing? Should we give him a Solo #1 too?)

Last edited:
I haven't been motivated enough to get on here for a couple days, so a few ideas fell by the wayside. However, I still have this:

July 31st, 1965: "(Gary, Please Don't Sell My) Diamond Ring"- Toni & Teri [1]
Augst 7th, 1965: "Don't Just Stand There"- Patty Duke

[1] With backing by members of The Stagehands. This answer record to the Gary Lewis and The Playboys hit sung by two dancers from The T.A.M.I. Show charts higher than the original after a slow start.

August 28th, 1965 "Eve of Destruction" -The Byrds
September 4th, 1965 "Eve of Destruction" -The Byrds

[ Of couse with altered lyrics to the OTL Version, no refernces to the funeral of JFK or Vietmann, rather to Cuba. OTL offered but rejected by the Byrds, here things are different ]

Last edited:
September 25th, 1965: "The Train From Kansas City"- The Shangri-La's [1]
October 2nd, 1965: "The Train From Kansas City"- The Shangri-La's

[1] B-Side from earlier in the year re-released as a single. The Shangri-La's score another #1 smash.

Bobby "Boris" Pickett tops the Billboard 200 (1965)
October 9th, 1965: "The Train From Kansas City" - The Shangri-La's
October 16th, 1965: "The Train From Kansas City" - The Shangri-La's

Event: October 2nd, 1965

Bobby "Boris" Pickett's third album Leader of the Wolfpack tops the Billboard 200 this week.

Mike Love and the Beach Band are dropped from their label (1965)
October 23th, 1965 "Yesterday" Paul McCartney

(Not giving this one away)

Event: After California Sun (a Revieras cover) does not chart as 3rd single in a row, Mike Loves record deal is cancelled.

November 27th 1965: "Turn, Turn, Turn!" -The Byrds
December 4th 1965: "Turn, Turn, Turn!" - The Byrds

(I have some memories with this song, so I had to go for it too)

Conan film adaptation enters pre-production (1965)
I know I'm giving the Animals way too many #1s but these similar titles were too good to pass up.

December 25th, 1965: "It's My Life" - The Animals
January 1st, 1966: "In My Life" - The New Moondogs

Event: Pre-Production begins on a film adaptation of one of the Conan stories by Robert E. Howard. The film will be an adaptation of the story Red Nails.

Rio Conference and Cuba peace negotiations (1966)
January 8th, 1966: "The Sound of Silence" - Simon & Garfunkle

January 15th, 1966: "In My Life" - The New Moondogs [Beatles and S&G flipped the No.1 spot around irl too!]

--

EVENT: The Rio Conference begins on January 10th, aimed at ending the Cuban War - previous armistices and deals have fallen apart in 1965, but Wallace wants a win so he can get his domestic plans through. Both Wallace and Castro are expecting Cuba is going to be partitioned but where it gets partitioned is up for debate.