Alternate List of Billboard #1 Hits: Katarn Edition

July 25th, 1964: "Can't You See That She's Mine" - The Dave Clark Five
August 1st, 1964: "Under the Boardwalk" - The Drifters

Increased air strikes in Cuba (1964)
August 22nd, 1964: "Under the boardwalk" - The Drifters

August 29th, 1964: "I Got My Mojo Working" - Long John Baldry (covering Muddy Waters)

-

EVENT: On the 27th August, Nixon orders a stop on ground offences in Cuba and an increase in airstrikes on the 'Occupied Zone' (areas still held by Castro). His plan is to reduce US casualties while still pressuring Castro's men so he can get an armistice out of them before the election. Footage of the bomb damage is spread around the world, angering Latin America and part of western Europe, but the US is, for the moment, fine with it as long as their sons aren't dying.

September 5, 1964: "Because" - The Dave Clark Five

September 12, 1964: "The Way You Do The Things You Do" - The Miracles

George Wallace wins the Presidential Election (1964)
October 31st, 1964: "Baby Love" - The Supremes
November 7th, 1964: "Leader of the Pack" - The Shangri-La's

Event: November 3rd, 1964

In the 1964 Presidential election, the results prove highly contentious as President Nixon wins the popular vote by three points, but loses the Electoral College by 288 to 250. Civil rights (in the South), the war in Cuba, and a slight economic downturn during the election year pushed the Democrats over the top. Despite Republican indignation, the results are clear enough that George Wallace is to be the 36th President of the United States. [1]

[1] If we're bothering to track this stuff at all, might as well make it weird and unsettling.

November 14th, 1964: - "Things We Said Today" - Rory Storm & the Hurricanes - another piece for them by Paul McCartney, whose status as a songwriter to watch is emphasised when this No.1 is replaced by...

November 21st, 1964: - "And I Love Her" - Elvis Presley - offered at a favourable rate as McCartney, as with all the Moondogs, was a big Elvis fan. Elvis has input into the song.

--

EVENT: "Friday the 13th Massacre": on November 13th, loyalist Cuban forces cause chaos in a border town as distraction for a massed assault on a forward air base. Press releases are put out decrying the civilian death toll from the bombings. Twenty-six servicemen are killed and the planes wrecked. The Cubans used a lot of resources to pull this off but that's not obvious to America - and on the assumption Wallace will settle, Castro is gambling a few more splashy attacks in the 'lame duck' months will get him a more favourable deal.

November 14th, 1964: - "Things We Said Today" - Rory Storm & the Hurricanes - another piece for them by Paul McCartney, whose status as a songwriter to watch is emphasised when this No.1 is replaced by...

November 21st, 1964: - "And I Love Her" - Elvis Presley - offered at a favourable rate as McCartney, as with all the Moondogs, was a big Elvis fan. Elvis has input into the song.

--

EVENT: "Friday the 13th Massacre": on November 13th, loyalist Cuban forces cause chaos in a border town as distraction for a massed assault on a forward air base. Press releases are put out decrying the civilian death toll from the bombings. Twenty-six servicemen are killed and the planes wrecked. The Cubans used a lot of resources to pull this off but that's not obvious to America - and on the assumption Wallace will settle, Castro is gambling a few more splashy attacks in the 'lame duck' months will get him a more favourable deal.

I'm really sorry Charles but this whole post (including the event) is void. You posted a turn too early.

Last edited:
November 21st, 1964 "You really got me" - The Kings

A so hasty British invasion import, the Band name got misspelled, to this day it is one of the biggest mysteries of Beat music how it happened exactly.
There even is one hour documentary about it filmed in 1996 exploring the most common theories.

Ray Davis is not amused...

Last edited:
November 21st, 1964 "You really got me" - The Kings

A so hasty British invasion import, the Band name got misspelled, to this day it is one of the biggest mysteries of Beat music how it happened exactly.
Ray Davis is not amused...

(Though perhaps it fools some shoppers who were looking for Roy Orbison's former band, "The Royals")

George Harrison leaves the Moondogs and forms Whom (1964)
I missed that, sorry.
I can change it to be a band number instead of a solo number if you want me to.

No way too late now.

November 28th, 1964: "You Really Got Me" - The Kings
December 5th, 1964: "You Really Got Me" - The Kings

Event: George Harrison officially leaves the Moondogs. Rather than sign a solo contract Harrison has opted to form a new band. This band consists of George Harrison on Lead Guitar and Vocals, veteran session musician Joe Moretti on Co-Lead/Rhythm Guitar, Chris White of the Zombies on Bass and Chris "Mad Henry" Curtis of the Searchers on Drums. The band has dubbed themselves Whom, which is supposedly an acronym of their name despite that being obviously false. The media has described them as a "super-group". Buddy Holly and the Moondogs are considering changing their name now that the only original Moondogs left are Lennon and Sutcliffe.