Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Iserlohn:

"...China saw a bloody civil war (resulting in a narrow Nationalist victory thanks to the Soviets not dropping any support for the Chinese Communist leader Mao)..."

Grammar Nazi is here and you can't escape my watch! :D

I think they mean dropping their supportive stance, not as in dropping supplies/support.

Alright, what do you guys think of this? State lines are based off watersheds. This is my second draft of this and I used a much more advanced base map, I also have all rivers and lakes on this thing but not displayed at the moment. I plan to do a rail map and a hydro-electric map at some point.

I probably need to do more with the state names to make them more visible, plus I can export the image a lot larger but I didn't want to eat up the whole screen.

oMIwxlU.jpg

Do you have a good POD for this?

Does uber America need a POD :p ? I guess america destroys Britain in the war of 1812, and then military occupations in central America turned into complete annexations, as well as America keeping there spoils from the Spanish American War? This was one of my first attempts at a map :p

Why would there be an independent Quebec? If Quebec joined the Revolution, the rest of Canada would have joined. And plus, there is a Unjted Republic on the very top. I highly doubt that with so few people they can form a major government.

Dear Iserlohn:

"...China saw a bloody civil war (resulting in a narrow Nationalist victory thanks to the Soviets not dropping any support for the Chinese Communist leader Mao)..."

Grammar Nazi is here and you can't escape my watch! :D

But what he said originally was correct. :confused:

I think they mean dropping their supportive stance, not as in dropping supplies/support.

Yup, Beedok and area11 have got it: the Soviets stopped providing any support to Mao (which they only started doing relatively late IOTL, by the way), instead focusing on gaining mineral-rich Manchuria and East Turkestan for themselves under the pretext of "stabilizing the region", leading to the finalized border.

1. America’s still not big enough. :cool:
2. Single pixel borders will make everyone here happy.
3. Given the lack of settlement, I think your western borders are a touch anachronistic.

The UberBAM in Robinson centered on Greenwich (trim to needs) and we have the blank map thread.

America will be bigger, I actually want the historical base maps of America for making squeals to that map. Unfortunately, while those links do help, I still can't find any 1850-60 maps of the US with the states :mad:

Henry Morgenthau Jr. is commonly recognized as one of the men who were the most influential with shaping post-WW2 Europe. His idea of dividing Germany into two separate nations based on a north-south axis interested the leaders of the Western nations that fought against Hitler's horde of Nazism. After much negotiation the important players among the Western Allies, as well as the local small states, had decided the post-war borders for the country, which, in their mind, brought misery not once but twice to the European continent: North and South Germany were born, with North Germany being perpetually neutralized, while the South was integrated into the young European Community. Italy too was punished, but not as severely as the Germans, with only independence-minded Sicily gaining freedom from Rome, as well as the colonial empire being taken away from Italian control.

Thanks to a powerful Western offensive, joint British-American troops met with their Soviet counterparts at Berlin, relatively close to the modern German-Polish border at the Oder River. Another faithful meeting happened in the central plains of Bohemia, where the Western troops reached Prague just three days after the Red Army had already liberated the city. These two meetings between soldiers of different ideologies then marked the rough line around which the Iron Curtain would go, a division of east and west...

In East Asia Japan was finally defeated in late 1945, after the US dropped two atom bombs on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Kokura, followed by Soviets forces landing on the northern island of Hokkaido. These two attacks broke the government in Tokyo and resulted in an unconditional surrender.

Post-war four regions experienced massive changes: British India was partitioned into three large states (Industan, Bharat and Madras), China saw a bloody civil war (resulting in a narrow Nationalist victory thanks to the Soviets dropping any support for the Chinese Communist leader Mao), the Dutch East Indies also saw a civil war between nationalist and communist forces (though there the Communism prevailed) and North Africa saw the rise of the United Arab Republic, first formed by the union between Egypt and Sudan (but later expanding into Libya and Palestine). Starting in the 1960s decolonization came into full swing, resulting in many "third world"-nations and ideological struggles. However the "dark continent" of Africa gave birth to some success stories: the Union of West African States, the Somali Republic and the United Provinces of Kenya being the most well-known examples.

Now the 1970s are coming to an end and the Soviet-American rivalry continues... Will the world survive the upcoming decade or will nuclear war annihilate it? Who can tell?

Great map, but i don't understand why the Australian Northern Territory was split in half :confused:

Great map, but i don't understand why the Australian Northern Territory was split in half :confused:

Central Australia was a separate territory from 1927 to 1931. The logic was that the Alice Springs area was too remote from Darwin to be governed properly. Of course, the argument fell down considering Western Australia, or Queensland.

Do you have a good POD for this?

Heres my very general outline. I was listening to the Revolutions podcast and heard about the American invasion of Canada during the Revolution. The invasion was actually pretty well equipped and made it to many of its objectives before being withdrawn, it was just fantastically badly planned due to some mis-information.

In this POD, Charles Lee is sent a few years later to capture Canada and is actually successful, as the proper provisions and planning are made. Benedict Arnold is also killed from wounds he had sustained during OTL, preventing him from switching sides and making him into a colonial martyr.

Later, the war with Mexico and later conquest of Central American is done as a means to channel internal tensions towards and outward problem, the civil war is delayed by nearly a decade as the Mexican occupation is actually successful, if brutal at times (resembling the OTL occupation of the Philippines). The civil war ends up being a much shorter conflict, with Texas being much colder to the Southern cause by that point and simmering slave rebellions also making national news, mainly because the Southern governments greet major atrocities upon rebelling slaves. The camera plays a big role in news of these atrocities.

With a less unified and eager Confederacy, along with no General Lee or aggressive conquering generals (most generals were focused on fighting against rebels in Mexico, not major offensive operations), major southern population centers are occupied fairly quickly.

The US enters a new golden age after 30 years of darkness between occupations of Mexico, Central America and the South. Soon, the Panama canal is built, then a more massive plan is conceived in the mid 1920's for a giant new project to bring water from Alaska...

Thats a rough outline anyways.

That's not a bloody Dutch Russia is it?

No, that Russia that underwent a revolution after the assassination of an unpopular king. Soon, Russia became a confederation giving all people rights (language isn't one) no matter if they are Russian or not(that isn't the case anymore). Sadly, this confederation believes that the "new man" should speak Russian. Due to this Russia has become a Russian ethnic state with a backdrop of some rights. Also rampant are corruption in cities, political machines, robber barons, and mafias are widespread. Not the place people would want to live in. Russia is like Gilded Age politics but worse.

Why would there be an independent Quebec? If Quebec joined the Revolution, the rest of Canada would have joined. And plus, there is a Unjted Republic on the very top. I highly doubt that with so few people they can form a major government.

I was new to this back then, and I guess I still am.The idea for it back then was that Canada never did join the Revolution, and rather instead of becoming independent as a whole in the 1900s, most of it joined the US, except for the natives in the north and Quebec.

^^^ Titan seems more fit to terraform considering it is larger than Mercury and has a very dense Atmosphere. But otherwise, te vont bien mon ami! J'♥ cette carte de Mimas! (excuse my horrible french) :D

P.S.: May I use these maps as base maps to edit. I love your creations but I can't create base maps myself (for obvious reasons I don't have the correct programme). I would credit you if you'd like. I would understand if you would refuse my offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.