Flag Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flag of a Franco-British Union:
While it has a cool effect, the switching of the colors of the crosses make it a bit...confusing. Maybe if you kept the red and the white of the British flag, but replaced the blue background with the French tricolor, that would work.

While it has a cool effect, the switching of the colors of the crosses make it a bit...confusing. Maybe if you kept the red and the white of the British flag, but replaced the blue background with the French tricolor, that would work.
I had originally tried that, however it just looked too British. I feel that this is a nice blend, as it appears equally British and French. I don't think it's too confusing, and it's far from the most complicated one out there...

Proposed flag of the USABC(United States of America, Britain and Canada):
USABC%20flag.png

Dorozhand

Banned
Flag of a Franco-British Union:

This is kind of a cool idea, but there are inherent problems with combining the union jack with the French tricolor. The Union Jack is both religious and monarchist in its symbolism, while the Tricolour is secular and republican. This is a compromise that would make everybody angry. Is this union a republican or monarchist state?

Dorozhand

Banned
While that flag is cool, it gave me a Polygon episode:D:D:D:D

Me too :D that's another problem with it. A flag should be something that instantly strikes one with a sense of symbolism, history, patriotism, and badassery. This is something that immediately confuses the viewer, and only after looking at it for a little while does one actually see what it's trying to go for.

The current flag of Nordholm, my town in Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

While its flag is always a Nordic Corss, the colors change based on the season, the below is the Summer Flag;

Note that the colors don't match 100% as I was making it by eye and thus can't get the colors exactly the same.

Nordholm Summer Flag.png

The current flag of Nordholm, my town in Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

While its flag is always a Nordic Corss, the colors change based on the season, the below is the Summer Flag;

Note that the colors don't match 100% as I was making it by eye and thus can't get the colors exactly the same.

I liked the idea. Can you post the flags for the remaining seasons?

I liked the idea. Can you post the flags for the remaining seasons?

I could, though I'd have to get my Animal Crossing: City Folk out (it's the one that came out before this one), since I've not actually re-created the designs on ACNL and I'm actually torn between Fall flags, that is I have two Halloween versions and have an idea for a normal Fall one as well.

My entry for the latest flag challlenge

Magyar migration divides in 2 - 1 heads south into Caucausus and Anatolia, the other heads west as OTL into the Pannonian Plain.
ATL however the second group, being fewer in number, get absorbed into the Avar Khaganate [1].
The Slavic dialects thus get a further boost as a lingua franca until the country evolves into the christian slavic [2] kingdom known as the Avorak Stephanate [3]

[1] becoming a sort of Pannonian Bulgaria
[2] albeit with Turkic and Magyar influence
[3] a stephan being roughly a high king and an ATL replacement for the word kagan

Avaria.PNG

Last edited:
So, is this a Slavic kingdom in Avaria or a heavily Slavic-ised Magyar kingdom in Anatolia?

Sorry if it was unclear. It's basically a Slavic Hungary - the fewer Magyars get absorbed into the increasingly Slavic Avaria. A Pannonian Bulgaria if you will.
Nice flag, and nice concept, that of Stephan as a title.
Thanks. Looking at Balkan history I'm rather surprised it didn't catch on. Most of the Kings - especially the Serbians - used Stephan as a royal additional name on being crowned.
So I always use it for ATLs in the region.
As a bonus it also replaces the OTL words derived from the name of Carolus Magnus

Last edited:
Sorry if it was unclear. It's basically a Slavic Hungary - the fewer Magyars get absorbed into the increasingly Slavic Avaria. A Pannonian Bulgaria if you will.

Thanks. Looking at Balkan history I'm rather surprised it didn't catch on. Most of the Kings - especially the Serbians - used Stephan as a royal additional name on being crowned.
So I always use it for ATLs in the region.
As a bonus it also replaces the OTL words derived from the name of Carolus Magnus

Charlemagne becomes a royal title? Makes sense. I once made up an alt-Late Roman world when the Senators/Clarissimi were substituted by the bureaucratic chaste of the Flavii (since Flavius had become some sort of obliged name for new citizens, bureaucrats and new patricians) and the "noble" class of the Aurelii (another name that caught on). They fight over the Empire until the Sassanids take over Constantinople. Flavius becomes synonym of Caesar.

Status
Not open for further replies.