Plausibility check: Repeating rifles with pump action instead of bolt-action ?

This might sound like a silly idea to some of our gun experts, but... What if a pump action mechanism became popular enough in an ATL to be used not only for shotguns, but for repeating rifles as well ? And when I say repeaters, I mean both civilian and military issue ones. How, for instance, would a WWI-like conflict be different if soldiers had to "pump" instead of "working that bolt" while dispossing of the bullet and reloading ?

I don't think pump-action would stand up to the dirt and grime of trench warfare as well as bolt-action for one.

This might sound like a silly idea to some of our gun experts, but... What if a pump action mechanism became popular enough in an ATL to be used not only for shotguns, but for repeating rifles as well ? And when I say repeaters, I mean both civilian and military issue ones. How, for instance, would a WWI-like conflict be different if soldiers had to "pump" instead of "working that bolt" while dispossing of the bullet and reloading ?
If it's a rifle it's usually called a slide action rather than a bolt action

Possible but they would get replaced rather quickly unless you were using a box magazine as Spitzer pointed rounds and tube magazines sometimes have issues with each other, and Spitzer pointed rounds are too useful not to be adopted

Anyways you might see slamfiring if they have a removable disconnect or no disconnect, and the extra ROF might make close range fighting more interesting

Be easier for lefthanded soldiers to use

Slide action is more mechanically complicated, especially when you have a box magazine instead of a tube magazine.

You could get higher ROF out of trained troops with slide action arms, but they'd be more expensive. And really, doctrine in military establishments didn't favor rate of fire until WW2 at the earliest.

The various chiefs of staff figured that giving the soldiers more ammunition and ROF would just make them waste more ammo, and not focus on their accuracy drills. Which, in practical combat, turned out to be not worth much, but it took a long time for them to figure that basic infantry grunts needed firepower too, and not just machine gunners.

I'm a bit nervous about having the pointed noses of bullets resting against the percussion cap of the next one in the tube, but I suppose a pump-action weapon doesn't have to use a tube magazine.
Box magazines and charger clips speed up reloading a good deal, so not being able to use those might be an issue as well.

elkarlo

Banned
I don't think pump-action would stand up to the dirt and grime of trench warfare as well as bolt-action for one.

Also, bolt actions seem to be the most accurate type of chambering a round. I wonder how well a pump would do compared to a bolt action circa 1900?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Slide actions are generally the weakest of the various types of repeating, even simply breech loaded, rifles.They have difficulties handling the chamber pressures that a bolt action can, thanks to the basics of the bolt's "locking Lug" design (an issue they share with lever actions).

This has been, to a degree, overcome with modern metallurgy, but the added layer of compexity, the weaker design, the vastly more difficult to clean action and magazine, and the rather unfortunate tendency of weapons with tubular magazines to fail rather spectacularly when loaded with spitzer bullets (and the spitzer bullet shape dramatically improves the performance of a round, especially in the FMJ configuration required under international law) all argue against the pump/slide and/or lever action for a main infantry weapon.

Where the pump could have found a home was as a "sub gun" carbine, chambered for a light, maybe even pistol, round for use by trench clearing troops. In that role the lack of a high powered round, the handiness of the design, and the far faster rate of fire could have been quite useful, at least until someone came up with a true submachine gun.

Delta Force

Banned
If your question is more about rapid firing rifles than a specific action design you might want to consider the straight pull action. Straight pull combines the reliability and accuracy of bolt action with the firing rate of pump and lever actions. Straight pull designs are basically like bolt actions except the bolt is simply moved forward and backwards without rotating.

Hm, one thing I've forgot to add that was already pointed out :

Could slide-action rifles use clips and more regularly shaped magazines or is it physically impossible in such a rifle ?

Straight pull rifles are basically slide actions with the handle on the proper place (as close to the chamber as possible to minimise mechanical links) and even them proved unreliable in WW1.

Aside complexity (on which I can't comment), slides & levers have one drawback keeping them out of military service: inability to use them prone.

Back in the late '90s, Sommer & Ockenfuss made a bull-pup, clip-fed rifle capable of taking up to a 300 WinMag cartridge. The damthang was very accurate, but, as a previous poster noted, a bit hard to shoot prone, especially as the pump was activated by moving the pistol grip fore and aft. Not many made, hard to get, clips impossible, but great fun.

marathag

Banned
Straight pull rifles are basically slide actions with the handle on the proper place (as close to the chamber as possible to minimise mechanical links) and even them proved unreliable in WW1.

Remington Model 14 pumps didn't release the bolt into the users face like the Ross.

It's spiral tubular magazine prevented spitzer bullets from hitting primers

And the Marine had no problems with Pump Shotguns in the Trenches in WWI

marathag

Banned
Hm, one thing I've forgot to add that was already pointed out :

Could slide-action rifles use clips and more regularly shaped magazines or is it physically impossible in such a rifle ?

yes

Remington 7615P

200952010461-rem7615_ms.jpg

The Remmington 760/762/7600 series of pump action rifles says yes. They have rotating bolts with front locking lugs, and fewer moving parts than an AK, and from what I've seen of the diagrams, further room for simplification. I could have easily seen a WWI version in service.

The biggest problem would be where to fit the bayonet.

yes, Remington 7615P

The Remmington 760/762/7600 series of pump action rifles says yes. They have rotating bolts with front locking lugs, and fewer moving parts than an AK, and from what I've seen of the diagrams, further room for simplification. I could have easily seen a WWI version in service.

Awesome. :) I knew there had to be at least some working OTL examples.

The biggest problem would be where to fit the bayonet.

True, true...