TL-191: After the End

I would say no. In fact it won't be a special city for a while...
Tear them down, yeah.
Destroyed, I think...
And like OTL, I presume, in the face of MUCH stronger pressure to assimilate negating the 80 years of independence.

Still capital of Richmond? or would Richmond be razed.?

Bye bye Grey House, Confederate Capitol, and Confederate Civil War and Second Mexican-American War War Memorials. along with Great War War Memorials.

DBE -- What do you think of this for a present-day TL-191 (gridiron) football league? It's based partly on the few canon references to football teams, partly on Craigo's post here, and the rest is my invention. The modern American Football League incorporates the West Coast Football League and a revived version of the old Confederate Football League.

AMERICAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE

Atlantic Conference
North Division: Boston Yankees, Buffalo Bisons, Montreal Royals, Ottawa Ospreys, Toronto Maple Leafs
South Division: Baltimore Orioles, Brooklyn Bulldogs, New York Gothams, Philadelphia Barrels, Washington Warriors

Northern Conference
East Division: Cincinnati Monitors, Cleveland Lakers, Detroit Wolverines, Indianapolis Indians, Pittsburgh Ironmen
West Division: Chicago Cardinals, Kansas City Cowboys, Milwaukee Brewers, Minneapolis Saints, St. Louis Stallions

Southern Conference
East Division: Atlanta Chiefs, Charlotte Hornets, Habana Hurricanes, Miami Seahawks, Richmond Colts
West Division: Birmingham Barons, Dallas Rangers, Houston Stars, Memphis Mustangs, New Orleans Tigers

Pacific Conference
North Division: Portland Columbias, Sacramento Solons, San Francisco Seals, Seattle Sharks, Vancouver Cougars
South Division: Denver Bears, Los Angeles Angels, Los Angeles Dons, San Diego Marines, Tucson Sidewinders

Looks good. Consider it canon.

I could go into a little more detail as to how the league evolved, if you like.

Sure, I'd be interested to see more.

How's Richmond doing? does it have some sort of special status, being the former capital of the Confederate States? did they tear down former Confederate Government buildings? or turn them into monuments? what about exsisting Confederate monuments and such, and how is Southern culture in general?

Richmond is much smaller than it was prior to the Second Great War, both in overall size and in total population. There are no Confederate government buildings or monuments of any kind left.

Southern culture is generally subdued, and with the possible exception of the "Dixie Modern" housing and interior designs inspired by Braco architecture and art in the 1980s, there is little that distinguishes it from US culture as a whole. As of 2000, there is a deep sense of remorse and shame that permeates Southern society over the atrocities committed by the Featherston regime.

I would say no. In fact it won't be a special city for a while...
Tear them down, yeah.
Destroyed, I think...
And like OTL, I presume, in the face of MUCH stronger pressure to assimilate negating the 80 years of independence.

I think that is a fair assessment.

is the History Channell analouge ITTL nicknamed the Featherston Channell for obvious reasons? are WW2 video games and movies. with the Freedomists as bad guys popular like OTL with Nazi's?

I would say no for a number of reasons. Featherston would be portrayed more negatively than OTL, more evil.

so the History Channell doesen't show thousands of documentaries on Freedomist CSA and it's wierdness. or video games don't have WW2 depicted with the Freedomists replacing Nazi's?

is the History Channell analouge ITTL nicknamed the Featherston Channell for obvious reasons? are WW2 video games and movies. with the Freedomists as bad guys popular like OTL with Nazi's?

The History Channel's analogue from TTL (at least in the United States) is called the History Network. Funded both by the Department of Education and the Department of Technology, the History Network is well-regarded for its award-winning programs and specials that span across many different events, nations, and time periods.

On the other hand, the Freedom Party has inspired a lot of fictional villains in TTL, in the worlds of cinema, literature and (later), video games.

so the History Channell doesen't show thousands of documentaries on Freedomist CSA and it's wierdness. or video games don't have WW2 depicted with the Freedomists replacing Nazi's?
Nope. Why? The effects of those wars will run deeper than OTL, and people will wish to avoid the issue. So, expect more serious, varied documentaries, and fictional enemies replacing Southerners.

The History Channel's analogue from TTL (at least in the United States) is called the History Network. Funded both by the Department of Education and the Department of Technology, the History Network is well-regarded for its award-winning programs and specials that span across many different events, nations, and time periods.

On the other hand, the Freedom Party has inspired a lot of fictional villains in TTL, in the worlds of cinema, literature and (later), video games.

I'll bet there's even an alt-Godwin's Law involving Featherston.

And a President from the former Mexican states? An Caribbean President? Another Canadian one? A Mormon one?!

The precise dates are beyond the scope of this timeline, I'm afraid.

I'll bet there's even an alt-Godwin's Law involving Featherston.

Yup, especially as the Combo-Net becomes more and more widespread throughout the 2000s and 2010s.

Jake Featherston's Time Travel Exemption Act?

Hmm, possibly. That could be a description of another trope entirely though.

The White Skull?

The Boys from Madagascar?

the 12 book long series by alternate History writer Geoff Jones, following the question of "What if Order 191 was found by the union army"?

Django Unchained (2012) - A fictional account of four OSS operatives, accompanied by the German spy King Schulz, go deep into the heart of the Confederate States to assassinate Jake Featherston, Donald Partridge, Saul Goldman and Ferdinand Koenig at a film showing. They are unknowingly assisted by Django, an escapee from the Confederacy's Population Reduction, who is planning a parallel assassination attempt. Throughout the film they are challenged by Colonel Calvin Candie of the Freedom Party Guards. The movie is notable for diverging from actual history by allowing the conspirators to succeed, presumably ending the Second Great War in 1943.

---

I know such a movie wouldn't actually be made ITTL because of parallelism, but it would be funny to see. :p

My little contribution to this TL: An early 80s ad for Eagle Airways.

Eagle Airways Supersonic Airliner (TL-191 After the End).png

(The picture is a reworking of this hypothetical profile art for a TWA-operated Lockheed L-2000. The Lockheed L-2000 was one of the OTL 60s American supersonic airliner projects, but unlike the Concorde or the Tu-144, it never got past the mockup stage. I figured it would be a sufficient stand-in for an ATL cousin of the Concorde. ;))

Last edited: