Isaac's Empire 2.0

Feedback!

First and foremost, I would like to congratulate our Emperor and Autocract for his birthday. Happy day to you, your Majesty. Rhomania rejoices!

Now, on to that nice update!

The following year, Alexios sent across his loyal general Nikēphoros Bryennios, who, acting in concert with Isaac the Younger, managed to capture the Normans in a pincer attack and destroy their forces at the Battle of Kaulōnia in Kalabria (i).
This guy tried to depose Alexius IOTL, didn't he? Or am I getting my history confused? Is there any specific reason for him to support Alexius ITTL or is he building up a plot with Isaac the Younger to depose the Emperor?

By September, he was in Apulia, and then, four weeks later, had arrived in Rome at the head of a massive army. Now it was Henry’s turn to flee, and Alexios Komnenos found himself the first Eastern Roman Emperor to set foot in the Eternal City since the seventh century (iii).
A major change from 1.0 here. IIRC Alexius fought and defeated Henry's army. I remember something regarding Pisa in all of this, but the city isn't mentioned at all. Also, did Milan support Henry's campaign?

Dalassēnē, a headstrong and intelligent woman, had found her match in the Patriarch John Italos (ix), one of the few characters of Constantinople who could equal her for that brand of self-confidence that often tips into arrogance. In the summer of 1084, the two had come to repeated blows over the education of Alexios’ young son Michael Komnenos, who was under the tuition of one Basilios, a pupil of Italos. Dalassēnē considered the influence of Basilios and Italos upon her grandson to be corrosive and near heretical, and had tried to arrange for him to be sent out to the old Komnenid estates in Anatolia for his education (x), but this had been strongly resisted by Alexios’ wife, the Empress Euphemia, a born metropolitan and the daughter of Michael Psellos. Tensions had rapidly begun to rise, splitting the Imperial family. Ignatios gleefully records that by the time of Alexios’ return to the city, his wife and mother had not spoken for weeks.
I like this part. You managed to integrate very well two traditional problems of Rhomania, although it's entertaining to see that while the Patriarch supports a more rational approach of theology and education, the Empress Mother goes on to call him a heretic. I'm also looking forward to seeing how the future Emperors will solve the inner conflict between the Constantinopolitans and the Anatolian aristocracy, i.e. if it ever gets solved. Very interesting indeed.

Alexios himself had been raised in the philosophical tradition, and was eager to throw himself back into intellectual culture once freed from the burdens of war in Italy- accordingly, in 1087 we find him writing a handbook for the layman setting out the basic philosophical concepts behind the teachings of Christ (xii). The controversy continued to simmer, but quietly.
Great! Finally an Emperor who undoubtly supports the "External Wisdom".

Dalassēnē was quick to seize her advantage, and immediately proclaimed Basil Palaiologos to be a Caesar. Michael suddenly found himself being sidelined from politics by his own grandmother, and things became worse still, when, in the summer of 1090, Anna delivered Basil a healthy daughter (xiv). Michael was now thirteen and his family should have begun making active efforts to find him an eligible princess, but little was done. The young prince found himself alone and almost friendless, with his only constant companion being his eunuch tutor Basilios.
Oh no. Are Anna and Michael/John going to be enemies as per OTL? I have always liked your approach on their friendship in 1.0.

Accordingly, in 1092, he invaded the Balkans at the head of a large army, emphasising carefully his loyalty to his brother and nephew. The governors of the Balkan Themata did little to hinder Isaac’s passage, and, approaching Adrianople, he accepted the surrender of the Tagma of Thrace. The Palaiologoi family indignantly protested their own loyalty to the Komnenoi, and Alexios Komnenos himself was wheeled out from obscurity to attempt to reassure the Constantinopolitans of his trust for them (xviii).
What of Bryennios? Did he support Isaac?

The urban mob, though, had other ideas. Try as he might, George Palaiologos was quite unable to convince them of his earnest intentions (xix), and, as Isaac’s army approached, took the decision to head west to throw himself upon the mercy of the Katepánō. Isaac, for his part, was magnanimous, offering Palaiologos lands in western Sicily, far away from Constantinople.
Very well-written paragraph. Nice to see Isaac saving his nephew Michael. One would think he would put his own sons on the succession line. What happens to Anna? Does she go with Palaiologos to Sicily or does she abandon him to his fate? Also, what are the impacts of Dalassense's death on Emperor Alexius? IOTL, he looked up to her as if she was a goddess.

The events of 1084-1092 have baffled modern scholars, and there is a tendency by many to dismiss their significance (xxi). Rather, these writers point to events in the East, where the Seljuk Sultanate’s hold over the Levant first splintered, and then collapsed altogether, in the same period (xxii).
The Emirates of Damascus, Aleppo and Mosul? I would like to see an update on that too.

Alternatively, they look north to Germany, where a process of political centralisation had begun that would be the dominant theme in German history for the next two hundred years (xxiii). These historians are fools. The triumph of Michael Komnenos marks the victory of the philosophers in the battle for the Imperial soul that had been fought since the death of Basil II.
Do I see an early Byzantine Renaissance coming? The victory of philosophy over religion will have a huge impact in the Roman 12th century. I can see a Patriarch trying to get more powerful by criticizing rationalism to its core, maybe generating a major debate in Constantinople. It would be interesting to see some die-hard philosophers such as Plethon. You know, venerating the old Pagan gods and ignoring the Church completely?

I personally suggest you to fix all this mess in the Third Council of Nicaea, using Basil of Caesarea's approach on philosophy and theology which predominated during the Empire's early years.

For events of the coup had shaken Alexios Komnenos out of the stupor of depression, and back into vigorous action. And it was not a moment too soon.
What an evil cliffhanger BG. :mad::D

xxiii. This is the genesis for what will become the Holy German Empire. At this stage, it consists mostly of Henry IV going round and battling with various lords.
Can we see a bit more on this, please?

Last edited:
Feedback

BG i would just like to say that I love this TL more than the last one. It really goes into a lot more detail. And to me is more believable. It has that feeling of the Byzantines. The ups and downs highs and lows. Keep up the great work and I look forward to the next update.

Absolutely loving even more than the original but I've gotta ask how different is it gonna be to the original IE?

It'll be the same beast, but a lot more fleshed out, and with different focuses here and there. The narrative framework of the TL will be largely unchanged, though.

First and foremost, I would like to congratulate our Emperor and Autocract for his birthday. Happy day to you, your Majesty. Rhomania rejoices!
Thank you for the birthday greetings. I am quite enjoying being twenty!

This guy tried to depose Alexius IOTL, didn't he? Or am I getting my history confused? Is there any specific reason for him to support Alexius ITTL or is he building up a plot with Isaac the Younger to depose the Emperor?
I think he did. There are so many Nikephoros B's around in the 1070s and 1080s, though, it all gets rather confusing. :p

A major change from 1.0 here. IIRC Alexius fought and defeated Henry's army. I remember something regarding Pisa in all of this, but the city isn't mentioned at all. Also, did Milan support Henry's campaign?
An attempt at de-wanking the whole thing. Milan certainly did, it's one of Henry's most loyal cities in Italy, as you can see in the update I've just posted.

Oh no. Are Anna and Michael/John going to be enemies as per OTL? I have always liked your approach on their friendship in 1.0.
The new update should answer this. :p

What of Bryennios? Did he support Isaac?
He's dead by this point.

Very well-written paragraph. Nice to see Isaac saving his nephew Michael. One would think he would put his own sons on the succession line. What happens to Anna? Does she go with Palaiologos to Sicily or does she abandon him to his fate?
Anna is in Sicily, very much alive. She'll be back in the narrative soon.

BG i would just like to say that I love this TL more than the last one. It really goes into a lot more detail. And to me is more believable. It has that feeling of the Byzantines. The ups and downs highs and lows. Keep up the great work and I look forward to the next update.

Well, here it is! :p

Chapter Five: Western Entanglements
Following the eviction of the Emperor Henry IV from central Italy in the autumn of 1084, all hell had broken lose in Germany. Henry had spent a relatively comfortable winter in Milan, but, crossing the Alps the following spring, found his German homeland in disarray, with no fewer than four pretenders to the throne on the lose across his Reich. The young Emperor’s response to this was entirely characteristic- he met his rebellious barons head on in battle near Magdeburg. The result was a catastrophic defeat for the Emperor, who, if popular legend is to be believed, survived only by cowering in a woodcutter’s forest home for weeks. By the end of 1085 he had shut himself up in the collection of castles at Hamburg (i), and his pretensions to the throne of the Western Roman Empire seemed to be firmly at an end.

What happened next need not concern us directly. Suffice it to say that of Henry’s four rivals, one died in battle, and two of the others retracted their claims to the throne, instead backing a long term rival of Henry’s, Ekbert of Meissen (ii), who promptly sent out feelers to Rome. Ekbert’s endeavours met with success, and he was crowned Emperor of the West in May 1087 by the new Pope, Victor III (iii). Ekbert was quick, too, to come to terms with the court at Constantinople, and proposed a marriage alliance between his infant son Conrad and Alexios Komnenos’ youngest daughter Styliane, an alliance that was supported by Dalassēnē and her allies during their period of ascendency at court. Ekbert rapidly proved himself to be an enthusiast for all things Eastern, sending men and money to aid the Imperial armies operating in Sicily and Sardinia. More importantly for the West, he decided to attempt to emulate Constantinople’s greatest asset- her taxation system.

In doing so, however, Ekbert would spell his own doom. In the summer of 1088 he conducted a relatively limited census that came to be known in the Reich as “Die zudringliche Erkundigung”- literally, “the intrusive enquiry”. Unrest began to build, especially when the following year, “gifts” of money were requisitioned from a number of large landowners by Ekbert. The barons recognised the thin end of a taxation wedge when they saw one, and quickly burst into revolt against their Emperor. Now it was Ekbert’s turn to scuttle into a fortified stronghold. His replacement, naturally, was Henry. Swaggering down from Hamburg, he brutally enforced his victory over Ekbert, stripping his prostate rival of his lands and titles. Ekbert was sent on his way, a German chronicler records, “to die by the roadside like a flea-bitten hound” (iv).

Henry had been out of power for four bitter years, and his revenge, when it came, was brutal. The great lords of the Reich were summoned to Hamburg in Christmas of 1090, there to be variously humiliated, executed, or promoted at their new master’s will. Recognising a good idea where he saw one, Henry demanded annual tribute in gold from those aristocrats who had done well out of his rise to power, thus formally beginning systematic taxation of the German people. A couple of small revolts over the next couple of years were crushed with brutal efficiency by Henry and his allies. Germany was now secure- and it was time to look to Italy.

The previous summer, of course, things had looked rosy enough in the peninsula for Isaac Komnenos to withdraw the majority of his armies, and leave the domestic administration of Italy in the hands of his sons, Manuel and Stephen. Now, though, the skies were rapidly darkening. Henry’s armies crossed the Alps in the spring of 1093. Pope Victor’s squeals of alarm (v) were met with sympathy by Manuel Komnenos in Barion, but there was little he could do about the situation. What troops he had at hand were on campaign with his brother in Sardinia, and the majority of the armies of his father had recently been transferred to the East, there to form the vanguard of a campaign to be led by Alexios against the fast crumbling Saljūq Sultanate (vi). Victor was left uncomfortably exposed, and, with Henry’s army rapidly bearing down on him, he attempted flight. It was in vain. The Bishop of Rome was captured by a force of German knights and used for target practise by them, his mangled remains brought back to the Emperor, who had occupied the Lateran, and selected his own Pope, the loyalist Bishop of Ravenna who betrayed his notional masters in Constantinople and took the Papal throne as Clement III (vii). The alliance between West and East had been irrevocably sundered.

Stephen Komnenos returned swiftly to Barion, together with his small army, and the two brothers made a show of force when Henry’s ambassadors arrived. It was largely in vain, and the westerners were not particularly intimidated. Henry would agree to a cessation of hostilities between West and East, conditional upon the annual payment of some five hundred pounds of gold in annual tribute. With their uncle the Emperor fully occupied in the East and months away from communication, the two brothers had little choice but to accept the demands.

Thus satisfied, Henry moved north, to the loyalist city of Milan, from where he legislated in the manner of one of the great Roman Emperors of old. In 1094, we find him for the first time issuing demands for taxation from the cities of the Po Valley and the Papal States. This provoked another revolt, led by the disaffected and apparently difficult-to-please citizens of Ravenna, who had hoped that by switching their allegiance to Henry (viii), they had ridded themselves of greedy Imperial tax gatherers. The revolt was initially successful, thanks to tacit funding from the Venetians and the other Adriatic allies of Constantinople, but ultimately was defeated by Henry, who stormed Ravenna in 1097. The network of resistance to him across Italy promptly collapsed- apart from in one city.

Prior to the Italian expeditions of Alexios Komnenos, Genoa had been a small and relatively unimportant town in northern Italy. After his departure, and particularly once Italy came under the administration of his nephews, it began to rise rapidly to prominence. Stephen Komnenos had, in his campaign of 1093, made much use of the sea power of Genoa in order to augment his own forces in operation on the eastern coast of Sardinia (ix); and when he was forced to return to the Italian mainland to deal with the Germans, the Genoese had been generously paid to keep up the war. During the uneasy period of Imperial stalemate in Italy, the Genoese had grown further in prosperity, thanks to their close alliance with Barion. Quietly encouraged by Manuel and Stephen, they had thrown in their lot with the Ravenna-led alliance, and had inflicted a sharp defeat upon German forces attempting to besiege their city. That, though, had been thanks in large part to the timely arrival of reinforcements, and low German morale caused by events elsewhere (x). Now, Genoa stood entirely alone.

Henry began making preparations for the final removal of Genoese resistance the moment Ravenna had fallen to him. The Genoese were quite aware of this, and sent panicky messages to Barion, begging for the support of the Katepánō Manuel (xi). Manuel himself, a reasonably adept military man, though lacking the flair of his younger brother, was quick to realise that the forces at his disposal would not be enough to see off the Germans. In turn, therefore, he appealed to his uncle the Emperor for aid.

Alexios Komnenos had good reason to want to return to the Italian theatre. His war against the Turks, waged in four campaigns between 1094 and 1097 had been a costly and bloody endeavour, for very little reward (xii). His son Michael, now twenty years old, had impressed many with his dynamism and courage on the battlefield, but this was no substitute for the record of success won the sons of the Emperor’s brother Isaac. Isaac, now in virtual house-arrest in Constantinople, had been quick to broadcast this to the populace, and, when Alexios returned to the City in the late autumn of 1097, he had been greeted with very little enthusiasm. Rumours began to circulate of the appearance of an angelic prophet who had appeared to Isaac and promised he and his sons the throne. Alexios, once again, was in need of a victory.

The Genoese campaign would set the seal on his reign, though, infuriatingly, the detail of what actually happened is difficult to pin down. Ignatios of Phaselis seems to have died shortly before he set out- the last year recorded in his waspish chronicle is 1096/97, in which he gleefully recounts a tale of the Emperor’s men being defeated by a dozen Turks. The major historians of the twelfth century only give Alexios’ triumphant campaign a brief mention, for reasons we shall soon see. Despite all of this, one thing is clear. After the Genoese campaign, no one would again begin to doubt Alexios’ claim to the throne.

The Germans began the siege in the summer of 1098, withdrawing briefly over the winter, but returning with a vengeance the following spring. The Genoese, for their part, were hopelessly outnumbered, but were able to utilise their command of the high seas to bring in just about enough food and water to cling on. It was a desperate situation for the city, however. As 1099 wore on, hopes of survival began rapidly to wane.

It was at this point that the Emperor Alexios arrived at the head of a very large army, made up of disciplined troops of the Tagmata and Norman mercenaries. Most remarkably, from the point of view of the Germans (xiii), was the enlisting in his army of a large body of Arab horsemen, bullied from the Zirid Emir of Ifriqiya (xiv). The Germans retreated from the siege, but in good order, and their army was by no means defeated. Large as Alexios’ force was, Henry’s still probably outnumbered it, and his veterans, unlike those of Alexios, had experienced a decade of victory, not grinding stalemate.

The two armies met at Savona, to the west of Genoa, on the chilly day of January 12th 1100. The result was a crushing victory for Alexios’ army. Of the Germans, it is rumoured that only forty survived- a rhetorical illusion, no doubt, but one that points at a broader truth of extreme German casualties. The Emperor Henry IV was sent scrabbling out of Italy for the last time, renouncing forever his claim to the title of Emperor of the Romans (xv). Alexios had saved Genoa, and won an Italian victory far more conclusive than any of those of rival family members.

It was a stunning triumph, in every way but one. Towards the end of the battle, Michael Komnenos, that young man of glorious talent and skill, had been thrown from his horse. All his skill at surviving, his military boldness, his popularity with the urban mob, his intellectual vigour could no longer help him. At Savona, Alexios Komnenos secured his reign, at the price of his son’s life. Michael Komnenos, heir to the throne of the Roman Empire died on January 19th, 1100.

i. Hamburg is still a very minor settlement in 1085. All this will now start to change, though it's still a while off from the great capital of the Holy German Empire that it will become.

ii. Better known IOTL as Egbert II of Meissen, he was an opponent of Henry IV IOTL, and died fighting the Emperor in 1090.

iii. This is the OTL figure. As he was an important spiritual figure in contemporary Italy, I've decided to leave the Papal succession untouched until this point.

iv. Ekbert's death is so insignificant that no historian from the IE Universe even deigns to mention exactly when it was, though he is presumably dead by 1100.

v. Victor's living rather longer than IOTL here.

vi. The Seljuks face a major civil war in 1088-1090, which allows various Turkish warlords in the west to shake off their authority. Alexios' campaigns aim to take advantage of this.

vii. An OTL Antipope. This is the real POD for the Papal succession. From now on, there won't be any more OTL Bishops of Rome.

viii. Pope Clement III seems to have been acting very much with the interests of his home city in mind when he betrayed the Byzantines in favour of the Germans. Despite its OTL reputation as a centre of Byzantine civilisation, Ravenna and her people have not enjoyed their first experience of direct Byzantine control since the eighth century.

ix. The conquest of Sardinia is a very shaky and piecemeal project. Stephen Komnenos is a very able young general, but, with limited men and money, there's only so much he can do to bring the Sardinians to heel.

x. Specifically, news of a minor defeat at the hands of the Poles far to the north and a major outbreak of dysentery in the German army.

xi. Manuel officially is granted this title in 1096, replacing his father.

xii. Alexios' men manage to sack Damascus in 1095, but are routed retreating north back to Antioch. The following year, the Turks manage to penetrate behind Imperial lines and raid Cilicia, and the campaign of 1097 is a violent struggle to push them out of Imperial territory, expensive in lives and money.

xiii. So appalled were the Germans at the idea of Saracens fighting in the army of a Christian Emperor that several 12th century German historians talk about Alexios as being an Islamic ruler.

xiv. More or less the area of modern Tunisia. The Zirid Emir is pretty much a vassal of the Eastern Emperor by now.

xv. He may not have been "Emperor of the Romans", but he was most certainly still "Emperor". The Battle of Savona therefore marks the definitive beginning of the Holy German Empire.

Last edited:
Great, great update! This chapter reminds me a bit of Macbeth, with Issac's prophecy by angels and all! (I'm actually reading it right now) Also, I hope we could get some pictures of Emperor Issac I, etc.

Except for the Ecbert/Heinrich rivalry (that part about trying to increase taxes and keep census leading to Ecbert's downfall seems a bit ideological for the period; not that that would be liked, but the way you're making it out sounds like a thinly-disguised modern political battle), that was an excellent update. Did the Romans regain any land at Savona? I've got a basemap of Italy in 1050 ready; I could easily make a map should that be wanted.

Great, great update! This chapter reminds me a bit of Macbeth, with Issac's prophecy by angels and all! (I'm actually reading it right now) Also, I hope we could get some pictures of Emperor Issac I, etc.

Well, I can't draw, but if anyone would like to volunteer to do some drawing I'd welcome it.

great update, BG!
Thanks!

That sounds like trouble for succession.
Indeed- Alexios is heirless and wife-less. The question now seems to be which of Isaac's sons will become Alexios' heir, but their uncle is unlikely to accept this in a hurry. Furthermore, Isaac himself is still very much alive, and rather estranged from his sons now. Family trouble could well break out...

Except for the Ecbert/Heinrich rivalry (that part about trying to increase taxes and keep census leading to Ecbert's downfall seems a bit ideological for the period; not that that would be liked, but the way you're making it out sounds like a thinly-disguised modern political battle), that was an excellent update. Did the Romans regain any land at Savona? I've got a basemap of Italy in 1050 ready; I could easily make a map should that be wanted.
It's not supposed to be ideological at all- any attempt by a German monarch to properly subjugate his lords in this period would end in trouble. The fact that Ekbert is doing so by acting like a Byzantine Emperor just makes things even worse.

No land has been regained as of yet, outside of southern Italy and Sicily, indeed, even the conquest of Sardinia is by no means complete yet. All that's happened is German interference has been banished from the Italian peninsula, for now. Of course, this won't usher in a period of happiness and freedom for the Italians. As far as they're concerned, the only real result of Savona was the replacement of meddling Germans with meddling Greeks.

Very interesting update. I am really enjoying the I.E. 2.0, because I read most of the first iteration years ago before I had an account on this site.
However, as someone who knows far more about Western Europe during this period than the Mediterranean, I must bring up a few points.
1. It seems rather dubious to me that Henry could so easily gain the right to "tax" as we conceive of it in so short a time. In France, the crown only gained the ability to tax through a decades long process during the 14th century that involved, in short, calling the Estates-General multiple times over several decades, being granted various subsidies and sales taxes, slowing subverting the Estates-General by making the granted subsidies permanent, and using "feudal" legal justification to call a general tax, theoretically for emergencies but becoming de facto permanent. This was a long and complex process that took place in the backdrop of foreign and domestic war. I have trouble seeing Henry being granted these powers without multiple representative assembly meetings and a lot of back and forth.
2. If Henry had renounced the title "Roman" Emperor, was does he not simply call himself "King of Germany." As I understand it, in the 11th and 12th centuries, the only Emperor was that of Rome.

I look forward to the next update, just wanted to bring these questions up.
Scipio

Henry had been out of power for four bitter years, and his revenge, when it came, was brutal. The great lords of the Reich were summoned to Hamburg in Christmas of 1090, there to be variously humiliated, executed, or promoted at their new master’s will. Recognising a good idea where he saw one, Henry demanded annual tribute in gold from those aristocrats who had done well out of his rise to power, thus formally beginning systematic taxation of the German people. A couple of small revolts over the next couple of years were crushed with brutal efficiency by Henry and his allies. Germany was now secure- and it was time to look to Italy.

Very nice update. I look forward to seeing how both Germany and the Roman succession develop. I do have a couple of questions though.

In the above quote, looking at the black words, are you sure you don't mean "fall from"? The above version makes it sound like Henry turned on his allies to implement his tax scheme, which seems unlikely and stupid. With "fall from," Henry could portray his tax scheme as a sort of punitive measure. The losing rebels don't pay a lump sum, but are forced to pay continuing taxes. While at the start it would only be applied to Henry's political enemies (thereby encouraging German nobles to side with Henry), it would make a very useful precedent for an expansion of the tax system.

Second question, Holy German Empire? Why the Holy part? The rest I can understand. I'm assuming German Emperors would want to drop the 'have to be crowned by Pope in Rome' requirement, which is the only justification for the Holy part of the title.

Still a very good update though. Please continue.

Good update BG. :)

Basileus Giorgios said:
Indeed- Alexios is heirless and wife-less. The question now seems to be which of Isaac's sons will become Alexios' heir, but their uncle is unlikely to accept this in a hurry. Furthermore, Isaac himself is still very much alive, and rather estranged from his sons now. Family trouble could well break out...
Yeah, that sounds like Family trouble for the Komnenos.
Speaking of family: what about Basil Palailogos? After all, he is the husband of Alexios' daughter Anna. Will he eventually play a role in the succession, maybe even make a claim of his own?

Marvelous, as always. I can expect nothing less from the story that had me hooked to AH.com.

Ps. Does anybody know a proper Byzantine/Rhomanion-wank?

Very interesting update. I am really enjoying the I.E. 2.0, because I read most of the first iteration years ago before I had an account on this site.
However, as someone who knows far more about Western Europe during this period than the Mediterranean, I must bring up a few points.
1. It seems rather dubious to me that Henry could so easily gain the right to "tax" as we conceive of it in so short a time. In France, the crown only gained the ability to tax through a decades long process during the 14th century that involved, in short, calling the Estates-General multiple times over several decades, being granted various subsidies and sales taxes, slowing subverting the Estates-General by making the granted subsidies permanent, and using "feudal" legal justification to call a general tax, theoretically for emergencies but becoming de facto permanent. This was a long and complex process that took place in the backdrop of foreign and domestic war. I have trouble seeing Henry being granted these powers without multiple representative assembly meetings and a lot of back and forth.
2. If Henry had renounced the title "Roman" Emperor, was does he not simply call himself "King of Germany." As I understand it, in the 11th and 12th centuries, the only Emperor was that of Rome.

I look forward to the next update, just wanted to bring these questions up.
Scipio

Thanks for the detailed thoughts, I appreciate them.

Regarding taxation, I think that a strong and determined Emperor, the vast majority of whose enemies are dead or defeated, is going to be able to impose some sort of fiscal settlement on his Reich, though I definitely agree that he'll have difficulty in doing so- there are plenty of revolts along the way, as I allude to briefly. I'd go into these in more detail, but I want to keep the narrative "tight" and focused on the ERE. Suffice it to say, for now, "taxation" is strictly limited to the upper tiers of the aristocracy, simply because Germany lacks the bureaucratic apparatus. It will be a good century or so before there's anything like full taxation of the populace.

To answer both you and Basileus444 The title "Holy" is kept because of the idea of Germans (by implication, unlike those shifty schismatic Greeks) as being God's favoured Christian people, as evidently proved by their strength and dominance. "Emperor" stays for the same reason- an Emperor is superior to a King, after all, and the German ruler continues to be acknowledged as a Basileus rather than just a Regas by Constantinople.

In the above quote, looking at the black words, are you sure you don't mean "fall from"? The above version makes it sound like Henry turned on his allies to implement his tax scheme, which seems unlikely and stupid. With "fall from," Henry could portray his tax scheme as a sort of punitive measure. The losing rebels don't pay a lump sum, but are forced to pay continuing taxes. While at the start it would only be applied to Henry's political enemies (thereby encouraging German nobles to side with Henry), it would make a very useful precedent for an expansion of the tax system.

Well spotted, I'll amend it. Thanks for the praise! :)

Good update BG. :)

Yeah, that sounds like Family trouble for the Komnenos.
Speaking of family: what about Basil Palailogos? After all, he is the husband of Alexios' daughter Anna. Will he eventually play a role in the succession, maybe even make a claim of his own?

Yes, Basil Palaiologos is still alive, and very much in the running for the throne. Interesting times ahead. :D

Greetings Basileus:excellent idea and the thread,I intend on contributing later.

Look forward to it!

Marvelous, as always. I can expect nothing less from the story that had me hooked to AH.com.

Ps. Does anybody know a proper Byzantine/Rhomanion-wank?

Glad to know I brought you here. :)

I'm not sure. IE not wanky enough for you?

Excellent update BG! Keep it coming and it looks as if it is time for a good old Byzantine succession crisis, wouldn't be the empire without one.

Say, when (and if) we reach the Early Italian Renaissance at the dawn of the 13th century, wouldn't fashions in Italy also blossom and appear more like our renaissance?
And I wonder if brother Issac Komnenos is becoming emperor soon?