Isaac's Empire 2.0

I've read through the timeline in the last couple days and the medieval Roman state is as fascinating as ever. I've never read the original, but from the foreshadowing I guess the pope is up to something?

Personally I don't mind the purple text, it's still very readable.

Why add colour? It's just difficult to read!

Imperial purple!- as others have said. Moreover, it distinguishes proper updates from supplementary text.

I've read through the timeline in the last couple days and the medieval Roman state is as fascinating as ever. I've never read the original, but from the foreshadowing I guess the pope is up to something?

Personally I don't mind the purple text, it's still very readable.

Alas poor Rome and Romanos V, subject to plague and the papal mitre. BTW, Chapter 29 is missing footnotes

Indeed, Samuel's reign has a way to run yet- hence the splitting of Chapter 30 in two!

Vague thoughts for a future update- I want to write something on the evolution of the Senate from 1100-1350, but I'm still collecting my thoughts.

Look forward to future comments. One issue I have with the "Likes" system of AH.com that never existed in "my day" of posting in 2008-15 is that it tends to discourage detailed comments and back-and-forth between writer and readers- which was always so important to the writing process before. If any Likers want to share some comments or questions, I'd love to hear!

I never knew the Romans celebrated New Year in September, interestingly the ancient Egyptian new year was also around that time, but that had to do with the inundation of the Nile. If they still use Augustus' birthday for that I guess Augustus is still viewed positively, despite being a pagan? The Jusen are still in charge of Iran and Kiev, but is there any presence further east, in Central Asia or India?

I don't think it is possible for you to write a bad update BG, they're always fantastic reads. Great foreshadowing to the 17th century--my memories of the first TL are a bit cloudy by this point, but I'm assuming there will be some great political drama as the empire begins to democratize!

I guess Augustus is still viewed positively, despite being a pagan?
Yeah- the Byzantines were very interested in Augustus. Constitutionally, Byzantine writers of OTL put far more importance on the events of 27BC than they did on any of the subsequent changes under Diocletian, Constantine or Justinian. Augustus, to their mind, was the founder of their state.

Now in IE, with literacy in Latin slowly picking up again in Constantinople as the fourteenth century progresses, even more interest is being taken in the Latin element of the Byzantine cultural heritage.

The Jusen are still in charge of Iran and Kiev, but is there any presence further east, in Central Asia or India?

No. The Jusen movement to the west was begun after their expulsion from China and central Asia.

I don't think it is possible for you to write a bad update BG, they're always fantastic reads. Great foreshadowing to the 17th century--my memories of the first TL are a bit cloudy by this point, but I'm assuming there will be some great political drama as the empire begins to democratize!

Thanks!

Indeed- though the progress to this will be far, far slower than in 1.0. I've been re-reading elements of 1.0, especially the period of the Republic from 1665-83, in writing the next update.

So I know its been a few months and I am late to the show but I was so happy to see a couple of new chapters! I am looking forward to seeing how events play out over the course of Samuel's reign. I have nothing constructive to add but I do want to say keep up the good work!