Protect and Survive: A Timeline

Not so much a conspiracy theory, more the world's worst-kept secret;)

Credit to Charlie for one thing, though, he genuinely seems not to care and treats both his sons as his sons.

Unless there is actual evidence out there it has as much credence as the sniper on the Grassy knoll.
So he has ginger hair, so what? All that means is that someone in both the Windsor and Spencer family had part of the gene for ginger hair and they came together in Harry. Genetics are a funny thing and I've seen funny results in offspring where I know for certain who the parents were.

So Harry may, or may not have been conceived by this point. The 'babies don't work' was a decision taken by a single County Controller, not one that originated from CHANTLICLEER. Other Controllers have probably taken a different decision.
In this sort of emergency we actually need the Royals. Constitutionally the monarch is needed to appoint new cabinet ministers. Imagine if most of the government were killed then the monarch could appoint replacements.
I think if you look at their public engagements it could hardly be said that the Royal adults 'don't work'. A tour in the 'Stan is also pretty hard work. ;)

I think that during the TTW a few minor Royals would suddenly find themselves being sent on goodwill tours to various parts of the Commonwealth, probably the other realms, such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

So Harry may, or may not have been conceived by this point.

Assuming Wikipedia is right (no reason to suspect otherwise), Harry was born mid September 1984, making him conceived in mid December 1983. Whilst technically AFTER the POD (Macragge1 has said the actual POD is before the first chapter written) I think its safe to assume that he is on his way, provided Di doesn't die before he's born.

Thinking of Di, whilst I doubt she will have a BETTER life in this ATL than in OTL, it's quite probable she will now have a longer life than OTL.

Well it is exceedingly unlikely that she'll end up being driven by a drunk through a Paris tunnel. The French capital is probably a hole in the ground.

Macragge1

Banned
Well it is exceedingly unlikely that she'll end up being driven by a drunk through a Paris tunnel. The French capital is probably a hole in the ground.

C'est vrai, malheuresment - la belle ville etait detruit par trois ou quatre tetes nucleaires. La Capital de La Republique maintenant est Cayenne, dans La Guyane francaise.

In this sort of emergency we actually need the Royals. Constitutionally the monarch is needed to appoint new cabinet ministers. Imagine if most of the government were killed then the monarch could appoint replacements.

That is actually a pretty good point. Since Parliament was prorogued during the transition to war period it means that since that point the monarch is ruling with advice from the cabinet.

One thing I thought of quite randomly was that as soon as parliament was recalled after the war, the only thing that would happen is that the speaker (or the longest serving survivor, presumably) would say something to the effect of "I regret to inform the house of the deaths of the following members:..." and reel off a list of about 500 names and constituencies. The house would then be prorogued again and an election called (this presumably wouldn't be for a number of years after the events so far in this TL). They also, presumably, wouldn't be meeting in London at the time.

Macragge1

Banned
That is actually a pretty good point. Since Parliament was prorogued during the transition to war period it means that since that point the monarch is ruling with advice from the cabinet.

This is true. Although Whitelaw's really in charge, there's been a lot more consultation of George VII than there was of Liz; she was shaky enough because of the war, and just kept getting worse considering the loss of her husband. Combined with this, Portsmouth's better equipped for communications, both radio and physical, than Blair Atholl was.

Last edited:
Unless there is actual evidence out there it has as much credence as the sniper on the Grassy knoll.
So he has ginger hair, so what? All that means is that someone in both the Windsor and Spencer family had part of the gene for ginger hair and they came together in Harry. Genetics are a funny thing and I've seen funny results in offspring where I know for certain who the parents were.

Plenty of ginger in the Spencer family including Diana's father and brother.

Also I understood that a couple of Queen Victoria's children were ginger.

C'est vrai, malheuresment - la belle ville etait detruit par trois ou quatre tetes nucleaires. La Capital de La Republique maintenant est Cayenne, dans La Guyane francaise.

Si Cayenne est la capitale de la République, puis la République est une façon très mauvaise.

Macragge1

Banned
Si Cayenne est la capitale de la République, puis la République est une façon très mauvaise.

Tout de L'Europe est tres mal; L'Hexagone est mauvaise, est Cayenne n'est pas radioactif, qui est un grand avantage cettes jours.

Dunno why I'm writing in French. As an aside, turns out there's a new electro night in town called Protect and Survive, which is pretty sweet.

This is true. Although Whitelaw's really in charge, there's been a lot more consultation of Charles III than there was of Liz; she was shaky enough because of the war, and just kept getting worse considering the loss of her husband. Combined with this, Portsmouth's better equipped for communications, both radio and physical, than Blair Atholl was.

I can Portsmouth becoming the de-facto capital for some time.

Plenty of ginger in the Spencer family including Diana's father and brother.

Also I understood that a couple of Queen Victoria's children were ginger.

I believe all it takes is one, or two ancestors to have a particular gene and it can pop-up many generations later.

I see we've gone for Charles III rather than George VII.

Macragge1

Banned
I believe all it takes is one, or two ancestors to have a particular gene and it can pop-up many generations later.

Did I type Charles III? Definitely meant to say George VII; three unlucky Charlies would just be too much... Gonna edit it.

Tout de L'Europe est tres mal; L'Hexagone est mauvaise, est Cayenne n'est pas radioactif, qui est un grand avantage cettes jours.

Dunno why I'm writing in French. As an aside, turns out there's a new electro night in town called Protect and Survive, which is pretty sweet.

Which means Kourou hasn't been nuked, interesting. France may be the only nation left with a functioning space launch capability.

Hendryk

Banned
Which means Kourou hasn't been nuked, interesting. France may be the only nation left with a functioning space launch capability.
If Kourou has been spared nuclear bombing, it should be able to wither ulterior events. The place is defended by an elite regiment of the Foreign Legion, trained in survival and jungle warfare.

in my completely amateur opinion, if you see a Jewish person of east European descent with red hair, my conclusion is that, about a thousand years ago, a Viking intruded into the family tree during an incursion into east "Ashkenazi" territory. (how many Middle Eastern folks have red hair? to my knowledge, not that many. who's famous in Europe for having red hair? [I interrupted this to do something resembling verification, and...])

okay, okay, after some wikiresearch, I think what I've just written is probably 85 percent bogus. still, I found this quote that could be tangentially useful,

"Red hair is caused by a relatively rare recessive gene, the expression of which can skip generations. It is not likely to disappear at any time in the foreseeable future.[31]"

Jack, I make you my compliments for an interim chapter but certainly very effective in showing the risks and pitfalls of the new world. Of course, the thugs of the "Vermont Air National Guard" have met their just fate, but through the story I can not understand the exact dynamics of their end. The "spokesperson" was disarmed and shot by the driver of the pick up, right? The Commando has neutralized the other cronies?

In any case I fear that, given the high concentration of individual firearms in the U.S., the components of Prospero must beware of such traps and ambushes again later.

I also hope that the distinguished man, before whom we left our heroes, will be able to give us some information more encouraging than the list of affected cities that held up the corpse in Iceland.

I look forward to news of the Swiss (as unfortunate as the willing) and the French en route to South America.

And who knows we can not find out what happens in the former USSR ...

Macragge1

Banned
J The "spokesperson" was disarmed and shot by the driver of the pick up, right? The Commando has neutralized the other cronies?

In any case I fear that, given the high concentration of individual firearms in the U.S., the components of Prospero must beware of such traps and ambushes again later.

Yeah, you got it; the American and the Prospero team took the chance to gun down the 'VANG' as soon as it seemed it was going to turn nasty.