Map Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
That book is so flawed it's not funny, I seriously question if he ever went to most of the places.

Anyhow, the below would be the more appropriate cultural division of America.

Note that less than half of Colorado would really be deseret, though Idaho is sort of in-between North-West and Mountain-West.

That's pretty accurate IMO, Iori.

The only suggestion I'd make is that southern Idaho and SW Wyoming should really be in Deseret.

Note that less than half of Colorado would really be deseret, though Idaho is sort of in-between North-West and Mountain-West.
Yeah, Colorado's in a tricky position when it comes to culture. The western third probably goes to Deseret, the eastern third is more Southern Plains, the middle third is Mountain West, and a bit of the south central and southeastern parts of Colorado are South West.

I'd also put the western section of Texas near El Paso and around the bend in the Rio Grande in Southwest.

Anyhow, the below would be the more appropriate cultural division of America.

Better, but the Midwest does not equal Atlantic culture, and Pennsylvania should be split into three, one centered around Pittsburgh & Erie belonging to the Midwest. Philadelphia & Scranton belonging to the Atlantic culture. And the vast middle "Pennsyltucky" belonging to your Neutralia, which I would label Appalachia-Hoosier. It would also extend down into Tennessee & western VA & NC.

Here's my map of US culture:

regionalUSmap.jpg

Although looking back at it I'd change a few things (redo the Northeast & Rocky Mountains area, and make SC not go so far north). But this was done based off of a Linguistic/Regional/Cultural basis.

~Salamon2

December 1943.
-Allies liberate Lae.
-Raids launched on the Marshalls and Gilberts between December 7 and 15. Airfields and aircraft destroyed on the ground.
-USN assembles fleet and soldiers once again in Hawaii.
-Japanese mustering their own plan, with two new carriers (that were order six months ago).

1943-12.PNG

Better, but the Midwest does not equal Atlantic culture, and Pennsylvania should be split into three, one centered around Pittsburgh & Erie belonging to the Midwest. Philadelphia & Scranton belonging to the Atlantic culture. And the vast middle "Pennsyltucky" belonging to your Neutralia, which I would label Appalachia-Hoosier. It would also extend down into Tennessee & western VA & NC.

Here's my map of US culture:

Although looking back at it I'd change a few things (redo the Northeast & Rocky Mountains area, and make SC not go so far north). But this was done based off of a Linguistic/Regional/Cultural basis.

~Salamon2
This is the closest that you can get to the actual cultural divides, and is the best of the three maps here. Well done, Salamon2.

@Teleology, there's a huge difference in culture between the South and the Great Lakes. It's hard to make an alliance on "traditional values" when you have different definitions of that phrase. So your Heartland is completely illogical.

@Iori, once again my complaint is the Great Lakes region. As much as I hate to admit it, Wisconsin shares a very similar culture with its neighbors including Michigan. This "Mid-Atlantic" area doesn't make any more sense than Teleology's Heartland. Not to mention Iowa has more in common with Wisconsin and Minnesota than the Dakotas do.

Just fiddling around with ideas. An alternate scramble for Africa still in process, circa 1890 and with a POD around, say, 1877 or thereabouts.

africa.png

Teleology

Banned
You guys seem to be mapping geographical culture/linguistic regions which was not was I was trying to do. I was doing a near future/"Diamond Age" sort of meme-nations thing, with a little bit of satire thrown in (due to a lack of anything better to call the Northeast).

I think a future "Culture Wars" concept with a Heartland stretching across the parts of America I showed it as doing so makes an internally logical, if fun and lighthearted, sort of scenario in that context.

It's not like the only way the US can be split is into the constituent regions that make it up. There's room for alternate unions between different areas based on common values and external pressures.

New Yorkers, Pennsylvanians, New Jerseyites, and Delawarites are not "Yankees", which is a term properly reserved for New Englanders. Perhaps Zyzz (or someone similarly qualified who is actually from the region in question) should debunk all the misconceptions that exist about the Middle States.

True.

The misconception exists due to the fact that culturally the Mid-Atlanticers still get quite similar in culture and attitude at times to New England thanks to historical, economical, and shared ethnicity reasons (being settled by religious fanatics will do that). After all, they ARE part of the north, Jared could and did properly say Pennsylvania and Delaware tried to join New England due to the aformentioned reasons when New Jersey and York already did, etc.

As a Delawarean (although I love -ite :D), I've been called 'Yankee' and my state 'part of New England'...sometimes by New Englanders proper themselves.

Nikephoros

Banned
In the north, New Englanders are Yankees.
In the south, Northerners are Yankees.
To foreign countries, all USians are Yankees.

In New York, Yankees are a baseball team. The only time a New Yorker says Yankee is when they are talking about The Yankees. Or when making fun of / mimicking southerners. Sort of like the only time an American says "wanker". :D

People are still doing the damn 'USsians' thing?! The term American has always historically referred to the people of the 13 Colonies, and the citizens of the USA from the very beginning called themselves Americans. That's like patenting the thing. It's not the US's fault that an Italian cartographer had to go map out two whole continents. Also, if you ask, say, a Korean if he nationally identified himself as Asian, he would say he identified himself as Korean, the country not the continent.

/rant.

And yeah, I find it funny the way people use the term Yankee. In New York, we cheer on the Yankees. I don't know about the rest of the country, but it doesn't feel like an insult at all when being called a Yank :D

Wow, you just contradicted yourself.... heavily.

USA- America
Korea- Asia

People from the USA call themselves American.
People from Korea call themselves Korean.

That is what you just wrote. I agree with you about the American thing, as I would never say "USian."But right after Independence, Americans often identified themselves by state.

/Counter-rant

And I also agree that being called a Yankee sounds like a compliment.

People are still doing the damn 'USsians' thing?! The term American has always historically referred to the people of the 13 Colonies, and the citizens of the USA from the very beginning called themselves Americans. That's like patenting the thing. It's not the US's fault that an Italian cartographer had to go map out two whole continents. Also, if you ask, say, a Korean if he nationally identified himself as Asian, he would say he identified himself as Korean, the country not the continent.

/rant.
Theres a great song about this. (Just a fan vid, by the way).

Status
Not open for further replies.