Map Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susano

Banned
Remember how the US Senate works, you need 51 votes to get something passed (or 60 if the Democrats are in charge :rolleyes: But let's not have that argument), so you need to cover a decent percentage of the states to get funding. (This is why Amtrak keeps the "national" trains like the Sunset Limited around...)

Then clearly the federal level is the wrong adress for this... its a big huge for private invetsments, and I rather like rails to be public, though, so cooperation between several (eastern) states maybe?

Then clearly the federal level is the wrong adress for this... its a big huge for private invetsments, and I rather like rails to be public, though, so cooperation between several (eastern) states maybe?
I could see this as cooperation among several western states actually. Having a high speed rail service would neatly allow the states to circumvent some of the pressure by the federal government to cut off their highway funding. :D

Although that point is moot anyway since per the Constitution the federal government has power over all interstate commerce.

Actually, now that the s&g are out of me, I'm thinking of possibly making a TL for this and showing the eventual growth of the high speed railway across America. In the beginning I'd imagine that the original lines would be: Bos-Wash, San-San, Det - Chi, & St. - Phil.

Everything else would grow after those initial first four railway lines.

~Salamon2

67jfi0.png

A map of post Second Mexican-American War Mexico where the factions of the Mexican Revolution unite against the US, as an ally of the Central Powers, in the unikely chance of retaking what was lost in the First Mexican-American War. Members of Congress after the Mexican surrender, declared after the capture of Mexico City,stated that in the question of whether Mexico should become a threat to American security and prosperity in the future and the answer would be a stern no.
The country of Mexico was butchered in the Dallas Deal with the border regions annexed and made territories of the US also the Yucatan Republic was created as a separate country ruled by an American puppet president. The remains of Mexico have to pay the large cost of AEF.

1. Baja
2. Sonora
3. Chihuahua
4. Southern Texas (working title)
5. Yucatan Republic

Imajin's right - the way the US is set up, you really only need N-S links on the coasts - everything in the middle is en route to one coast or the other. Hence the occasional joking suggestions to raise the speed limit in Nebraska to 250 mph "so you can get through it faster".
Eh, what? Even politically, some of these routes make little sense. Chicago, despite being a center of rail transport in general, doesn't have a HSR route connecting to the capital of its own state!

And I'm surprised that the long-discussed "Texas Triangle" of Houston/Dallas/San Antonio wasn't built, even though such a route system would probably generate more revenue in a year than that northerly St. Paul-Salem(!) route could generate in a decade.

Susano

Banned
Although that point is moot anyway since per the Constitution the federal government has power over all interstate commerce.
Err, so? Does that really mean the states are explicitly forbidden to fund railway construction that is connected to railways in other states? :confused: Would seem very odd to me...

67jfi0.png

A map of post Second Mexican-American War Mexico where the factions of the Mexican Revolution unite against the US, as an ally of the Central Powers, in the unikely chance of retaking what was lost in the First Mexican-American War. Members of Congress after the Mexican surrender, declared after the capture of Mexico City,stated that in the question of whether Mexico should become a threat to American security and prosperity in the future and the answer would be a stern no.
The country of Mexico was butchered in the Dallas Deal with the border regions annexed and made territories of the US also the Yucatan Republic was created as a separate country ruled by an American puppet president. The remains of Mexico have to pay the large cost of AEF.

1. Baja
2. Sonora
3. Chihuahua
4. Southern Texas (working title)
5. Yucatan Republic

So...uh, how exactly with a POD in 1910 do you get the USA defeating Mexico and Britain (and Guatemala)? Because that Yucatan Republic is....unlikely with a 1910 POD to say the least. Any such Yucatan republic is probably going to be just the Yucatan region of Mexico.

Still don't see how northern Mexico is annexed in a POD after 1910, but I suppose if the Second Mexican War was bloody enough then maybe American opinion might be inclined towards annexation.

With 4. (Southern Texas) - I would use Rio Grande. It's the name I use in a map earlier in the thread showing a Confederate controlled northern Mexico. Besides the combination of those 3 Mexican States (Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas and Coahuila) was actually called the "Republic of the Rio Grande" during an 1840s secession attempt and America has a thing about naming states after rivers or geographical features (Tennesse, Alabama (after the river and tribe), Arkansas, Missouri and Iowa (again both named after a river and tribe), Kansas, Colorado, Delaware, Connecticutt, Kentucky, Ohio, Mississippi, Minnesota, Nebraska, Michigan (after the lake), Nevada (after the mountains), possibly Oregon (the name might be a mistranscription of the French form of the name for the Wisconsin River), Wisconsin, Vermont (after the Green Mountains) and Montana (after the mountains)). If Rio Grande doesn't grab you then perhaps after the mountain ranges in the area? The Sierra Madre Oriental.

Philip

Donor
Does that really mean the states are explicitly forbidden to fund railway construction that is connected to railways in other states?

It certainly does not. State funded roads routinely meet at state borders.

New York and New Jersey share the PATH subway. Pennsylvania and New Jersey share PATCO. Neither of these are federally controlled (although they may receive federal subsidies).

Last edited:
Err, so? Does that really mean the states are explicitly forbidden to fund railway construction that is connected to railways in other states? :confused: Would seem very odd to me...
No, but it does mean that the federal government can take over the regulation of these lines at any time IIRC, using the precedent established in Gibbons v. Ogden. So any HSR network set up by individual states would probably get diverted to federal management anyway.

Map of the continental US following the Culture Wars.

'Heartland' includes atleast four very different cultures, 'Independence' contains atleast three and 'Yankeestan' two, in other words those areas would not be single entities as the result of a culture war.

Teleology

Banned
Culturally speaking I imagined an alliance between Dixie, the Foundry, and the Breadbasket as a bastion of "real Americans" with "traditional values" wouldn't be too unlikely.

As far as I know Independence is one cultural region, the Empty Quarter (or a part of the Empty Quarter, at least).

Yankeestan contains both parts of New England and the Foundry.

So, by my count, it's 3, 1, 2; whereas your count is 4, 3, 2.

New Yorkers, Pennsylvanians, New Jerseyites, and Delawarites are not "Yankees", which is a term properly reserved for New Englanders. Perhaps Zyzz (or someone similarly qualified who is actually from the region in question) should debunk all the misconceptions that exist about the Middle States.

Culturally speaking I imagined an alliance between Dixie, the Foundry, and the Breadbasket as a bastion of "real Americans" with "traditional values" wouldn't be too unlikely.

As far as I know Independence is one cultural region, the Empty Quarter (or a part of the Empty Quarter, at least).

Yankeestan contains both parts of New England and the Foundry.

So, by my count, it's 3, 1, 2; whereas your count is 4, 3, 2.

That book is so flawed it's not funny, I seriously question if he ever went to most of the places.

Anyhow, the below would be the more appropriate cultural division of America.

Note that less than half of Colorado would really be deseret, though Idaho is sort of in-between North-West and Mountain-West.

Cultural Divisions.png

Last edited:
Here's a map of an AH Risk that was first inspired by my decision that historical borders of North America would be much better than the North America in Risk. No clue if this balances gameplay-wise, and it probably doesn't, but oh well. If anyone wants to try this out for a game, be my guest. Although you'll have to create your own continent values.

Terra Australis, 7
New Holland, New Zeeland, Moluccas, Java, Sumatra, Borneo, Philippines

Asia, 14
Malacca, Ceylon, Burma, India, China, Formosa, Manchuria, Korea, Japan, Mongolia, Chukotka, Siberia, Ural, Turkestan

Middle East, 8
Baluchistan, Persia, Arabia, Egypt, Crimea, Levant, Babylonia, Anatolia

Europe, 13
Balkans, Italy, Austria-Hungary, Ukraine, Poland-Lithuania, Muscovy, Scandinavia, Germany, Low Countries, France, Iberia, Britain, Iceland

Africa, 11
Tripoli, Morocco, Algeria, Songhai, Guinea, Nigeria, Abyssinia, Congo, South Africa, Zanj, Madagascar

South America, 6
Brazil, Peru, Guiana, Colombia, Argentina, Falklands

North America, 13
Caribbean, Mesoamerica, Mexico, California, Texas, Confederacy, United States, Louisiana, Oregon, Alyeska, Rupert's Land, Canada, Greenland

AH Risk.png

Status
Not open for further replies.