Chapter 108: The Bohemian and Neapolitan Heirs
Krakow, July 1551: Queen Magdalena of Poland and her husband, Prince Thomas of Corinth had their first child. The baby was a girl, who was christened Princess Jadwiga, after Saint Queen Jadwiga of Poland. She had as her godfather Pope Leo X and was christened by Andrzej Zebrzydowski, Bishop of Krakow. Queen Magdalena recovered slowly, but the joys of being a mother helped her. However, Magdalena did not neglect her regal duties and was holding council meetings from her sickbed.

Prague, February 1553: King Charles of Bohemia’s wife, Elizabeth of Poland, the sister of Queen Jadwiga, gave birth to a daughter named Elizabeth Agatha of Poland. Her first name was chosen in honor of the baby’s mother, while Agnes was chosen because she was born on the feast day of St. Agnes the Martyr.

Naples, November 1553: Prince Romulus, the son and heir of King Constantine of Naples, married Princess Blanche of France. Blanche’s father, King Charles X (often referred to as the Great Catholic Monarch), had accompanied his daughter on her journey. He had always loved Italy and, most importantly, he wanted to say goodbye to his eldest daughter, his last trace of Princess Alexandra. Blanche, in appearance and mannerisms, was very much like her deceased mother. She had dark blonde hair with beautiful blue eyes. She was tall and had a somber expression. She was very pious and had desired the life of a nun, but she eventually realized she was called to a married life. Romulus was a very promising Prince. He was very well-read and knowledgeable about a variety of subjects, and he excelled at sword fighting, horseback riding, and statecraft. The two seemed ill-matched, but both they struck up a good friendship. Upon her father’s departure from Naples, Princess Blanche said, “I promise you, Papa, I will name my first son after you!”

Chambéry, September 1554: Charles, Duke of Savoy dies from an attack of acute appendicitis. He is mourned by his wife, Dowager Duchess Victoria of France, who visited France to distract herself from the Greece. She particularly made a visit to her beloved sister Princess Adelaide, Countess of Toulouse. His son, Louis was now Duke, alongside his wife, Juana of Aragon. His two children, Victoria (b. 1545) and Francis (b. 1546) also made a public appearance.

Krakow, May 1554: Maximilian, King of the Romans, and his wife, Emma of Brittany, made a diplomatic visit to the Polish court. Maximilian and Emma received a warm greeting from Queen Magdalena and King-Consort Thomas of Corinth. Thomas had to do most of the entertaining, as Magdalena was heavily pregnant. Queen Magdalena delivered her firstborn son. He was named Prince Vladislav, a traditional Polish royal name. Maximilian and Emma gladly accosted the position of being Vladislav’s godparents.

Naples, June 1555: Celebrations throughout Italy broke out. Crown Prince Romulus of Naples and his wife, Princess Blanche of France, had their first child. A boy, he was named Charles, fulfilling the promise his mother had made to his grandfather. Naples was still a very productive nation, with strong trade deals.

Coronation Interlude I
finally returned to publish, today I decided after a long time to leave this gem for you, it is a special chapter concerning only one year in particular ( in the next few days I should be able to publish the other parts in pieces concerning the years from 1495 to 1515 ) Having said that, happy reading, Unfortunately I decided to divide it into two parts, otherwise it's too long to read

Like Caesar part 1

Pavia

after all the ambassadors of Italian princes have arrived in Pavia, the imperial court meets to decide what to do: there are those who claim to have the coronation in Monza in the church of San Michele Arcangelo as per tradition, there are those who he says to do it directly in Rome, but Maximilian deems it appropriate that it is right to do it here in Pavia, because it was the ancient capital of the Lombard kingdom and it would be very symbolic to be officially king of Italy in the place where the iron crown was born and its first uses, many point out to the sovereign that there is no suitable place to host this great event, but during the discussion Prince George and the young archduke Max jr intervene, returning from their adventure in the narrow streets of the city , the two point out that near the main church there is a large square that can easily accommodate those present, it would be enough for the ceremony to be divided into two parts, the first in the church while the second in the crowd, Maximilian hearing this is very happy, because he really wants to be crowned here in the city, the only hitch left would be to fix the place but to solve the problem Emma offers herself immediately and since she arrived she has been checking and preparing everything, Max can't help but smile watching his wife bend over backwards but wisely makes him remember that even she will be part of the ceremony so she won't be able to supervise it as she wants and furthermore, needing to rest, Emma tries to retort that she can do both very well : "after all, I managed several delicate diplomatic meetings while I was pregnant, and once I had ahead of the entire imperial court while you darling, young Rodolfo and your father were unavailable due to fever, so dear husband what do you want for me to organize a public ceremony down to the smallest detail to make it perfect and at the same time take part in it ? eh " our future emperor had no words to counter but luckily his younger brother, the archduke Rudolf, and recently recognized as prince of Bohemia, came to his aid, who convinced his sister-in-law to trust him, who would watch over the preparations for the coronation while she took time to rest and if something had to be changed along the way, Emma would be the first to be informed immediately, in the end the queen gave in and agreed to this, while the three episcopal prince-electors on behalf of the Rex Romanorum visited the church and helped the family members of the Royal couple to prepare everything for the big event

2 days later near the Cathedral of Pavia at 10

everything is ready, the cathedral, which for centuries has not seen a coronation of the kings of Italy, anxiously awaits the arrival of its two main guests, all the highest officials of the empire following the procession are gathered in the church : from all 7 prince electors in person, passing through the various dukes, margraves, counts, bishops and princes of the empire up to the numerous representation coming from the Italian courts, we see the looks that the closest collaborators of the Habsburg family exchange, a mixture of apprehension and joy contained with difficulty, but it is not only inside the church that Max and Emma are expected, also all citizens have arrived near the square and await with trepidation the arrival of the imperial family ( most of them have been here since the evening Before ) suddenly a trumpet call in the distance warns everyone present, we begin to hear the noises of a large mass of people marching, coming from the royal palace, we decide that we cannot wait for them, and so, passing through side streets, we run towards the palace, we notice that many people are looking out of the windows or balconies and we know that they are lucky enough to witness the passage of the royal procession from above, and they will be able to see how much it looks like a painting in motion, given its extremely colorful nature we arrive at the procession that has unfortunately begun, but the spectacle we see is worth the breath we have, more than a hundred people are passing in front of us all dressed in fantastic and richly decorated clothes, the first part of the procession is made up of the band who, to the sound of trumpets and drums dictate the rhythm, then we see the heraldic banners that accompany the imperial family : the first obviously is the black two-headed eagle on a yellow background, the symbol of the empire, immediately following we see the papal symbol which is flanked by a group of clerics holding a huge cross on their shoulders, after them we find the black and gold Hapsburg flag, which paves the way for the royal family, we try to see them but we can't manage among all these colors and noises, to close the procession there are all the flags of the Italian cities that joined their entourage on the journey towards Rome, for the moment

the procession finally arrives in the square, where it is greeted by a great shouting of the people in celebration, the procession begins to open near the entrance of the Cathedral, we see the band waiting outside as well as the heralds in tow, while the rest of the procession enter the church, after a few seconds the music of the organs and religious choirs spreads in the square, the ceremony officially begins, unfortunately we cannot see it with our own eyes as by deciding to see the arrival of the procession we certainly lost our place in the cathedral, but fortunately we have Prince George who gave an account of the events in a letter to be sent to his brother-in-law Prince Felix, George describes the events like this : dear Felix, I'm sorry you weren't able to personally come and witness the happy event here in Pavia, but I'm sure you'll answer me with a superior attitude that you didn't miss much, after all you'll see the most important ceremony in Rome, I'll answer that it's true but your sister here on the side doesn't agree very much with this, she claims that you could very well have come, after all, the pope doesn't need you, does he have to be their babysitter ? isn't it true ?, I avoided misunderstandings, I don't want to know anything about it, understood !..... we were sitting in the front row, next to my cousin Rudolf, he is like all the others present, we waited with growing anxiety, the arrival of Maximilian, Emma and their children and their entry into the church, we felt the arrival of the procession due to the music that anticipated them the music was getting closer and closer, when suddenly it ceased completely, the archbishop of Milan, who had come especially for the ceremony, gave the order to start the sacred music to accompany the guests entering the church, the first thing that I saw enter was this huge cross supported by 8 clerics, following them were the banners of the most holy mother church, of the empire and of the Habsburgs, then it was finally the long-awaited moment, the entrance on the scene of the August figures of Maximilian and Emma ( with the children following them a couple of meters after them ), the music increased dramatically as they approached the altar, once they arrived they knelt before the archbishop and the princes of the church of Mainz, Trier and Cologne ( who assisted their colleague in the function ), almost all my grandchildren came to sit between me and Rudi ( yes, it's his nickname, we decided it with Max years ago, because it looks too much like a painting depicting the first archduke whose the name ) the only one that remained with Emma and Max was his young namesake, because his parents wanted to prepare him for the ceremony in Rome, where he would be recognized as their direct heir by popular acclaim and blessed by the pontiff in person, I don't want to bore you with my story of the rest of the religious function, I know that by now living on a permanent basis in Rome you would be able to describe and preside over many different types, including this one too, so I'll go directly to describing the rest of the events : the archbishops after asking Max and Emma if they will be willing to defend and protect the church and their future subjects with their lives, and receiving an immediate yes from them, began to bless them with sacred anointings, they were anointed on the forehead, on the hands , in the feet, furthermore Maximilian was further anointed also in the chest, once this was completed it was the turn of little Max jr who was blessed in the hands and in the forehead, then the iron crown was introduced, which was made with a nail from the real cross, as he entered we all stood up while Max and Emma bowed, the archbishop of Cologne took the crown è after having blessed it with incense and sacred oil I pass it on to his Milanese namesake, here as he lifted the crown he started a prayer in which all those present took part è after the Amen he was about to give it to the future monarch, I could see Max's hands trembling, his face was stoic but it was only a mere appearance, Rudi and I wanted to get up to give him support but Emma was faster as usual and gave him that courage that he missed, thanks to a simple handshake ( I still don't understand how strong and solid their bond is, it almost seems that we don't need to talk to be able to understand each other instantly ) In the end Maximilian with Emma's help put on the Crown and then humbly asked the bishop to be able to crown his wife as well, the cardinal had no problems and agreed ( yes, Felix, we found out after he was a cardinal, at least apparently only Rudi and I of the family didn't know, when I asked Max why he hadn't told me ?, he answered me with a smile that was not at all reassuring " so you learn to hang around the city without me !, I wanted to do the same thing to Maxi but he was pardoned because of his mother, you on the other hand have no one to protect you from me " ) once Emma too was crowned, a cry of jubilee arose from those present, the archbishops officially consecrated them as lawful and blessed by God sovereigns of Italy, all this was framed by the sound of organ music and trumpet blasts, when we all leave the cathedral following the two new monarchs we were greeted by the cheerful shouting of the population, who accompanied by the sound of drums, shouted " long live the king and queen of Italy !, thank you for bringing the light back to Pavia !, Now everyone is in Rome with the pope !, may God be with you, long live the future emperor and his family " when Emma decided to answer those present to thank them for their welcome, the applause increased even more so as to drown out the sound of the instruments

after having surrounded the heads of Maximilian and Emma with the crown of the kings of Italy, the group continues its march towards the Urbe passing through the few territories left in the hands of the Este family and Tuscany, they are welcomed with extreme jubilee in the cities where they pass: Piacenza, Massa, Carrara, Pisa and finally Siena, the latter in particular are interesting because they represent the imperial policy that Maximilian and Emma want to undertake, the couple decides to stop for three days in the city of Pisa officially to pay homage to the tomb of their imperial predecessor, the emperor Henry VII of Luxembourg who died falling from his horse in 1313 while he was going down to Italy ( which they will do later also with another emperor, known without equal
throughout Italy compared to his predecessors or successors ) Max and Emma go to the piazza dei miracoli ( a symbol of the wealth and power of the former maritime republic ) to pray near the external walls of the cathedral ( where Enrico's tomb lies ) here the emperor decided to make a solemn promise to the deceased sovereign, but unfortunately no one has kept track of what he really said at that moment, we only have the popular legends told between generations of Pisans ( 1 ) combined with an anecdote also transmitted of generation among the Habsburgs where the worried Prince George approaches his cousins and once in their vicinity remains as if frightened because he said he had heard Max and Emma talking to someone, we know that after the event ( any version you want to believe ) the royal couple decided to create a duplicate of the emperor's statue to take it with them to Rome ( where it will be placed in the mausoleum of the emperors ) as well as wanting to organize parties in his honor on the days they stayed in the city which were welcomed with satisfaction by inhabitants ( so much so that the Pisans were the second largest group of the Italian companions of the two towards Rome, if taken individually )

Rome February 1494
near imperial forums

heading towards the Holy See, through the forum, we immediately notice that the construction works on the monument of the emperors are almost complete, the finishing touches of a purely aesthetic nature are now missing, from the outside it appears to us like a miniature of the Ara Pacis, but much more splendid due to the beautiful frescoes and colorful bas-reliefs present along the entire external edge of the building, we know that to please the future emperor, Augustine spared no expense ( in terms of size and cost it is by far the second most important construction site of the city, for some years now ) furthermore, at the behest of the Pope, the non plus ultra of Italian artists and masters took part in the project, personally chosen by the site manager Leonardo himself, of two of them in particular, there are rumors absurd stories about their skill in the city: they are two young people who many believe will engrave their name in history, they are a certain Michelangelo and a young boy of just 17 years old named Raphael, who have made a huge impression with their works. da Vinci himself (who by now was considered difficult to amaze, given his particular character), not resisting the temptation, we ask to be able to take a quick little peek at the construction site, the workers don't want to let us pass, because they fear an outburst from the their boss, but in the end, we managed to get in thanks to a good word from Pinturicchio about us ( who, to our pleasant surprise, also works here! ), we begin to approach the building slowly, around us we see many tools of the trade, as well as many statues and entire pieces of marble, Pinturicchio explains to us that he can only show us a very small part, unfortunately, but that's fine for us ; as we follow him, we pass behind large wooden scaffolding, where many craftsmen are attaching bas-reliefs to the walls, once we pass this area, we remain with our mouths wide open, not even a word comes out of our mouths, due to the magnificence we are looking at : a room entirely frescoed and with entire life-size and perfectly restored statues inside, we recognize only some of them ( one of Trajan, the other of Marcus Aurelius on horseback, a bust of the Empress Theophanu with her son Otto III , a bas-relief of Lothair I, one of Majorian with his name still engraved in Latin beneath it, and finally, what we believe to be the real jewels here, a statue of Justinian from Greece and a gold statue of Augustus in person, which Leonardo himself repaired after finding her while digging in the domus aurea )

Siena February 15th

the arrival in the city is anticipated by the frightening spread of the news of Maximilian's actions along his journey ( in particular his public demonstrations of homage to the most important saints of the peninsula and the stories of his events concerning Henry VII and Frederick II ) moreover there are many Sienese who would like to see the entire imperial family this time, also because the period in which the royal couple had stayed in the city has created a beautiful memory in the population, above all for how they had contributed to solving some of the problems that had gripped Siena for a long time ( also promising a solution to obtain the peace and tranquility so longed for by the citizens ) many are happy with their return because coincidentally it coincides with the end of the expansion works of the Cathedral ( 2 ), continued by Maximilian as a gift to the city for the splendid welcome given to it, in the council of nine ( historic body but with a main role in the government of the Republic ) we try to think about how to welcome the entire imperial family this time and to find a way to surpass ourselves, some suggest donating an entire district ( 3 ) of the city to the imperial family, the stay in the Tuscan city lasts a long time, almost two weeks in which Maximilian and Emma decide to administer justice and listen to the population personally, while Max Jr gains experience entertaining the young people of the Sienese nobility in a tournament organized by his father to celebrate Santa Caterina ( became doctor of the church by order of the Pope, which fills the Sienese with great pride and for a day makes them forget the divisions and hostilities between the contrade ) where a re-enactment of the historic victory of Montaperti in 1260 over the hated Guelph troops camped in Florence is celebrated, this re-enactment is so adored by Maximilian that he decides to ennoble the districts of the Goose and the Eagle ( those who organized the whole thing ( 5 ) with the title and imperial insignia that they will be able to show off both in war and during city festivals

from 2 to 4 March

the journey of the Imperial procession towards Rome proceeds at a rapid pace, in every city that is touched by its transit new banners are added to its entourage ( among which Assisi, Grosseto, Viterbo, Civitavecchia and Orvieto should now be included ) which increase the large number of Italians who follow the future emperor ( mostly Tuscans ), now everyone is anxiously waiting to glimpse the walls of the Urbe, the capital of Christianity, the cradle of European civilization bathed by the Tiber, the eternal Rome of the emperors and dads

in the capital meanwhile

the final preparations are being completed in view of the imminent arrival of the royal couple, every district of the city is sprucing up to strike the minds of the future August sovereigns, even the Tiber itself is being cleaned to avoid the proliferation of mosquitoes or its flooding unexpectedly, an extraordinary meeting is being held in St. Peter's to decide who will participate in the welcoming embassy for the sovereigns, established as a protocol about 12 kilometers from the city center ( as per the ancient Roman custom first in the republic and then in the empire ) The expedition ( we are talking about at least more than 300 people ) will naturally be led by the pontiff himself followed by two consuls and two patricians chosen from among the people and the Roman nobility

1) there are three legends in particular, but the most famous are only the first two, i.e. the oldest ones, but no one can say which facts told in them are reliable or not: all are more or less in agreement that the imperial couple once they arrived in the square of miracles to pray at the tomb, they asked to have a moment alone, they knelt in front of the crowd in rigorous silence, after a few moments of tranquility a bizarre thing happens: suddenly the imperial couple stopped in the pray and immediately got up to look around, the new empress clearly shocked while Caesar with his sword already drawn in his hand ready to stand in front of her to defend her, but then as if they were bewitched they calmed down and turned in unison towards the statue of the Ghibelline emperor they made a public reverence and ode to Henry VII in front of the whole city (here we find the first notable differences, there are those who maintain that Maximilian speaks with a voice that is not his, telling things he could not have known (there are who says that it was the spirit of the deceased Enrico who spoke through him, telling of his hopes, his failures and thanking the city for having remembered him) or who says that it was Emma herself who behaved in a strange way by starting to talk about the relationship between the Italy and the empire and how this has weakened greatly over the years, to the point of almost disappearing, and how the Italians are always looking for a new Augustus to bring peace between them but unfortunately they have not been able to obtain it and for this reason they had distant sovereigns who neither understood nor wanted to understand Italy and its people but rather often argued with their representative and equal: the Pope instead of collaborating to bring harmony (many see in this piece a clear reference to the treaty Dante Alighieri's politician, De Monarchia) we then know that Maximilian later (again according to legend) wanted to enter the Cathedral to test his faith, leaving his iron crown on the head of the statue as a sign of profound respect

2) Otl the expansion works on the Cathedral were never resumed after the plague epidemic of 1300 halved the population, but here thanks to a "collection" between Maximilian and the papacy the works resumed and also the city little to time is starting to grow again

3) special administrative division of Siena, similar to our neighborhoods but at the same time completely different

4 ) at the time what we know as the Palio did not yet exist, rather there were various competitions of different kinds (including equestrian competitions, bullfighting, Florentine football, simulation of wars, etc.) only in 1600 was the Palio legalized as we know it Otl, but the districts already existed since at least around 1280

5 ) During the conflict between the papacy and the empire, Siena was notoriously a strongly Ghibelline city, as well as one of the major supporters of Frederick II ( and his descendants ) and Henry VII, therefore it was part of the same Habsburg faction

Last edited:
Chapter 109: Iberian Affairs
Lisbon, May 1551: Queen Maria of Portugal delivered her final child to her husband, King Carlos of Portugal. The boy was christened Infante Manuel and made Duke of Guimarães. His birth had come after a long period of suffering from his mother, who had delivered a stillborn daughter in 1547 and then suffered two miscarriages. Baby Manuel joined his 3 siblings in the nursery: Pedro, Prince of Portugal (b. 1536), engaged to Archduchess Louisa of Austria, Infanta Isabella (b. 1541), engaged to John, Prince of Athens, heir to Greece, and Infante Duarte, Duke of Santarém (b. 1544).

Cordoba, June 1552: Queen Juana of Castile came to her third childbed. The labor was excruciating and the Queen almost died. She delivered identical twin daughters, named Infanta Maria (after the Blessed Virgin) and Infanta Ana (after the Blessed Virgin Mary’s mother, Saint Anne). Unfortunately, Infanta Ana sickened and died not long after her birth. King Alfonso XII was concerned, as he only had a single son, Juan, Prince of Asturias. He was engaged to Princess Margaret of Greece. Alfonso did not want another war like the one between Queen-Regnant Juana and Queen-Regnant Isabella.

Valencia, October 1553: Francisco, Duke of Valencia, the main regent of Aragon, who had worked tirelessly to improve various things in the realm of his niece, Queen Theodora, such as trade and law, married the beautiful Lady Isabelle of Lorraine, the daughter of Duke Richard of Lorraine. She was beautiful, kind, well-educated, and pious, and often advised her husband on political matters. Francisco and Isabelle were able to spend a three month honeymoon at their estates in Valencia. Isabelle conceived her first child before the departure. In fact, for the next seven years, Francesco and Isabelle had a child every year. There were, as follows: James (b. 1554), Richard (b. 1555; d. 1558), Maria (b. 1556), Theodora (b. 1557), Juan (b. 1558), Joseph (b. 1559), and Isabella (b. 1560).

Madrid, December 1555: King Alfonso XII and Queen Juana of Naples welcomed yet another daughter, Infanta Catalina Leonor. Very little attention seems to have been given to this fourth daughter, as her namesake, Dowager Queen Eleanor of Austria was terribly unwell.

Madrid, December 1555: Dowager Queen Eleanor, mother of King Alfonso, had became ill while returning from Badajoz. She had been very depressed since the death of her brother, Emperor Charles V. Eleanor died a few days after Christmas, surrounded by her grandchildren, whom she had adored.

Last edited:
Glad to have you back @Nuraghe . Can't wait for part 2. Hopefully, we will see some of my characters in your updates. Even though the main timeline is about to end I will keep reading for your updates.

thank you very much Prince, I'm actually quite late (only 60 years old.... 😅, I want to reduce the gap a little), ah your advice was useful to me, it convinced me to write in a more summary way and not to be afraid to publish a chapter even if it seems incomplete to me (I'm a bit of a maniac for perfection and details) I'm happy that you will read my updates

PS
Part 2 will be on Sunday 😉

Last edited:
Chapter 110: Dutch Affairs
Liege, October 1551: Philippa of England, Dowager Duchess of Brabant, died in her convent at the ripe age of 70. She was mourned by her son, Duke Matthias of Brabant, and her daughter, Duchess Maximiliana of Orleans. She was the last surviving child of King Edward IV and Blessed Margaret of Lancaster. She had been a very popular woman, as she had taken care of charity and raised her children well. She was also the single largest patroness of convents and monasteries in the Low Countries.

Leuven, January 1552: Antoine, Count of Leuven, brother of Duke Jean of Burgundy finally took a wife after a long period of being a bachelor. He married Lady Claude of Lorraine, the daughter of Richard, Duke of Lorraine and Margaret of Greece. The two had an unfortunately tumultuous marriage, but it resulted in four children: Matilda (b. 1554), Radegonde (b. 1555), Antoine (b. 1557;d.1558), and Charles (b. 1559). Claude also suffered several miscarriages.

Guelders, July 1553: Philip, Duke of Guelders married Adelaide of Savoy. Adelaide was known in her native land for her talented musical gifts. She could play piano with perfect expertise and often composed songs. She composed a particularly glorious rendition of the Magnificat. Her husband was talentless, but he was a patron of the arts and thus the two got along well. They never had any children, but Philip’s brother, Maximilian had 7 surviving children with his wife, Marie de Graff, the daughter of a Burgundian merchant. They were, as follows: Philip (b. 1547), Marie (b. 1548), Catarina (b. 1551), Suzanna (b. 1553), Antoine (b. 1554), Adriana (b. 1557), and Jeanette (b. 1558).

Utrecht, October 1556: Jean, Count of Charolais, the heir to Burgundy as the son of Duke Jean and Duchess Catalina, married Princess Adelaide of France in a magnificent ceremony in St. Catherine’s Cathedral. Adelaide was a very intelligent and wise girl, with an insatiable desire to learn, even if she was only 13. Jean was a bit older, but was a bit intimidated by his wife’s precocious behavior. Adelaide as homesick and this paved the way for a great meeting between the Burgundian and French courts that occurred in 1557 in Laon.

Brussels, September 1558: Philippa, heiress to Brabant and the daughter of Duke Matthias and Duchess Anne of Brittany was married to Henri, Duke of Berry, the third son of King Charles X of France. The two had been engaged since childhood, and Henri had spent several summers in Brabant, so the two teenagers were well acquainted. Brabant was still a prosperous duchy, with a focus on medal work and grain harvest.

Dijon, February 1560: Jean, Count of Charolais and his bride, Princess Adelaide of France welcomed a healthy son, their firstborn child. He was named Joseph for Saint Joseph, whom Jean and Adelaide were particularly devoted to. Burgundy was, just as it had been for Charles the Bold and Margaret of York’s glorious wedding, a nation known for its artisans and merchants.

Coronation Interlude II
as promised here is the second part, and yes, unfortunately for you there will be a part 3 😅

Like a Caesar

February 22nd at 3pm
Borgia palace

we find ourselves in the courtyard inside the residence of the current pontiff, during an informal welcome reception in honor of the Medici family who arrived in the city a few days ago in view of the great event, among the guests we manage to recognize almost everyone: there are Vanozza and the young Isabella who they are helping to arrange the tables, even if the beautiful girl seems momentarily distracted and with her head in the clouds ( which is very strange for her ) near them we also see Anna and her sisters doing their utmost to lend a hand, but this only worsens the mysterious situation that affects Isabella, who, chatting with them between one trip and another, never stops giggling and talking. turning tomato colour, all under the tremendously worried, highly alarmed and above all very confused gaze of his brother, next to him we see his old friend of disasters at the academy approaching, as well as one of his closest friends, Cosimo de Medici ( currently bishop of Lucca ) who asks him what afflicts him so much that he seems like someone who has just been ordered to have a weapons lesson with Madonna Caterina, whereupon Romulus suddenly turns around shouting in a loud voice " Holy God, where is she now !, what are you doing here ?, I didn't do anything, I swear on my mother, eh ! " this reaction of his causes a lot of confusion among most of those present, while it unleashes a tremendous attack of hilarity in Cosimo and then Manuel and Alexander, who didn't even try to hide their laughter, unlike Richard and the pontiff ( personally present in "civilian" clothes, as he had previously promised Vanozza years earlier ), in addition to the usual well-known faces of the great papal circle, we also recognize Cosimo's entire family, with Lorenzo and his sons Piero, Dante and the young Lorenzino ( this the last one in particular was talking to Manuele Komnenos, his age ), while we make our way among the housekeeping staff to greet Lorenzo, we overhear a discussion between Alexander and Richard, which immediately strikes us, and also explains the mystery behind Isabella's strange behavior today, this ultimately makes us notice that even in young Piero seems to behave in a suspicious manner, especially when, believing he is unobserved, he exchanges quick glances and poorly concealed smiles with the young girl, all seasoned with embarrassing excuses so that they can end up talking to each other " by mistake ", we feel immense pity for Romulus who has not yet he has understood what is happening before his eyes, and he thinks that his innocent little sister is sick ( in our mind we add.... of young love ) we are more surprised when we learn that almost everyone present here knows it (1) except Romolo......, the afternoon continues but after lunch we say goodbye to everyone cordially, and we head towards the Borgo district, where we learned that Richard is building his personal home next to the ancient " British " monastery, it is we are very curious to see his future Roman home (2)

Via Aurelia 12 km north of Rome

we are among the lucky 300 people who go to meet the emperor to pay homage to him and greet him before entering the eternal city with him, in addition to us we see many common inhabitants, but also illustrious faces of the Roman nobility, such as the prince of Rossano, Francesco Borghese ( who was also chosen for the simple reason that his family is originally from Siena ) and the young scion Marco Antonio Colonna ( as Roman patricians ) then we also see in the crowd the two city consuls : Giuliano della Rovere ( chosen by storm of the people ) and Prince Camillo Pamphili, finally we also see the representative of the populino, the tribune Maurizio de Angelis ( a man of great culture and clemency, distantly related to the small Sabine and Roman nobility, currently holds the position of city judge (3 ), naturally at the head of the legation is the holy pontiff Maximus Augustine, who for the occasion decided to meet the royal couple with more sober clothing than usual, renouncing to wear all his papal vestments, considering them to be kept for the solemn ceremony in St. Peter's which will take place in a few days, minutes pass and while we wait, tension rises among the crowd, to calm things down Augustine decrees that a group of men go to a nearby hill to warn the others if they see something, almost half an hour passes by calm, but the tranquility is abruptly interrupted by a scream in Romanesco dialect which announces that in the distance we begin to glimpse something, at first just a cloud of dust, but then as the minutes pass the cloud thins out and in the eyes of the Romans they present shows before their eyes a very colorful and majestic column ( 4 ), followed immediately by the arrival of a powerful shout of people, all this stirs up the spirits of those present, the emperor is coming

Roman countryside

the march was tiring and unnerving, the wait to see the holy city was eating us up from the inside, but suddenly someone in the procession shouted to glimpse the Tiber and the Aurelian walls, just hearing this made everyone feel nervous adrenaline impossible to stop, I can swear I saw Maximilian jumping with happiness for this ( even more than my little nephew present here next to me ), a celebratory song arose from the procession, but the thing that amazed us most was that from the hill a little further on there was a response to our happiness, only at that moment did we realize that a large group of Romans had come to meet us to welcome us, at their head was the pontiff ( but I only recognized him when we were closer to them, he was without his usual clothes, dressed in a long white tunic ) together with five other people he welcomed us warmly and blessed us with his hand, Max and Emma went to greet him immediately with extreme joy ( you can bet that Maximilian was tempted to hug him, from how much he was smiling, for a moment I feared that his face would break into two parts ) we were introduced to the other men who accompanied the Holy Father, they were representatives of the city and of the Roman people ( Maximilian, knowing this, became even more cheerful, even if I could notice that he seemed a little tense, although he cleverly hid it )

While Sophia was looking around for you, without finding you, she was almost sure that you were there ( I won't deny that she was quite disappointed, as she later made you aware of ) while I was wondering if the city could contain and host us all without no problem, after the end of the presentations of the case, Maximilian got off the horse to allow his holiness not to get tired in returning on foot, after some initial protests from the pope, in the end he surrendered to the stubbornness or will of my cousin, rightly me, Emma, Rudi and Maxi we asked him if he wanted another horse, but he denied it, and said that he wanted to enter Rome like any humble pilgrim ( which triggered ovations from the Romans, who in the end lifted him up and brought him into the city like this )

within the Aurelian walls

the procession was greeted by shouts of applause from over 80 thousand citizens, who escorted Maximilian, his family and the pope up to the Quirinal hill ( 5 ), a residence that the pontiff had willingly handed over to the royal family for the entire duration necessary for their stay in the city, in the following days the emperor made a tour of all the churches of Rome (over 400 in all) and took part in the games organized in his honor ( memorable was the Florentine football match between the Austrian team and the city team, which ended in a colossal Austerlitz for the first, but which deserves the general applause of the entire audience for their not wanting to give up, it should be noted that Maximilian made a point ) another noteworthy detail was the meeting in which the royal couple face meeting all the cardinals present face to face to discuss the state of the holy mother church, last but not least were the huge donations and acts of patronage of the two to the population ( including Christ Imperator Square , Burgundy Street and the fantastic Chapel Massimiliana in Lateran ) strangely the Emperor did not want to visit the mausoleum he had planned, he said he would only see it when the time was right

the days passed quite quickly, a new daily routine had now been established in the city, every day people headed towards the Palatine Hill to be able to have a private audience with the Rex Romanorum ( who had chosen this place, as a symbol of continuity between he and his predecessors, knowing that both Henry VII, Louis IV and to a small extent also Charles IV had chosen this place, as a place to administer justice and make themselves known to their people, both before and after their coronation )

7th March Naples

the Neapolitan royal couple, after having settled the last issues of the government, appoints one of their ministers to temporarily take their place while they are away, they set off towards Rome, to take part in the imperial coronation , with them also comes a large delegation from the kingdom ( they will all be guests in the palaces of the Neapolitan cardinals resident in the Urbe )

Modena

the entire Sforza - Riario family begins their journey towards Rome, this time too everything seems like a military campaign, because Caterina wants to impress all the great nobles and monarchs of Europe present at the event with a visual representation of her power and prestige, the family moves on horseback on steeds decorated with precious blankets and armor of the finest workmanship, even their knights are equally elegant ( in full armor we see Caterina, her eldest son Francesco, her father Girolamo, while the girls all ride close to the wagon with canopy where their younger brothers travel following their parents, all escorted by at least 200 men in arms with the banner of the duchy on display )

10th March 1494, imperial forums

the population is visibly feverish, not only due to the presence of the Imperial procession in the city, which is no longer a novelty in itself, but due to the fact that for many Romans the next coronation represents a unique fact, given that the last one dates back more than 52 years ago ( almost more than a whole generation ) but also because the young Rex Romanorum himself said that he would be very honored to be able to take part in the usual celebrations in honor of Caesar these days, starting from greeting ceremony in front of his house (6 ) then following the route along the entire city towards the forum to attend readings and plays about him, then continuing towards the area where he was killed (7) and finally culminating with a religious ceremony again in the forum, where the base of his funeral pyre is located

Quirinal Palace

we find Emma and Maximilian discussing what to do, while they are still lying in their bed, one close to the other, Emma turning towards her husband, asks him : " are you really sure you want to take part in these demonstrations, darling ?, it wouldn't be Is it better to spend the rest of the time conversing with the princes and kings present here to discuss your future policies ?" Max looks at his beautiful wife, with eyes full of love, but before answering her questions, he shakes his head in denial , getting a raise of eyebrows from his wife, at this he begins to speak " dear, I know you are right, your arguments are justified, but you must know, that in my research for the construction of the mausoleum, I have discovered an important fact.. " Emma stopped him for a moment to correct him " more than research, I would define it as an obsession, you were so taken that even your father was seriously worried about you ! , think that he didn't even try to hide it, as he would normally have done ! " Max smiled at this, remembering his father fondly, but the desire to defend himself was stronger and therefore I start again like this "I wasn't obsessed!, I wanted and want my predecessors to have the right recognition they deserve, furthermore I believe it is the most correct thing to do , I couldn't become emperor if I didn't show respect and admiration towards them, furthermore being a Caesar is not simply leading soldiers into battle or administering justice, as I mistakenly thought when I was young, but much more !, being their successor means be worthy of carrying their mantle, defend and support the church, always be ready to compromise and never abuse one's powers, it is above all to be loved by the people and take care of them, it is they and the pontiff who decide who is worthy of being their Caesar, given that in the past you became worthy of being an emperor only if you were acclaimed by them and then carried in procession towards the basilica, I don't want to be just a distant and alien sovereign from them, it is to be remembered as the German less tyrant than the previous ones, but sincerely recognized and perhaps loved by them in the future ! " Emma remained there silent, without knowing how to react to this confession of hers, torn between a feeling of happiness ( in recognizing how much her husband has matured compared to the first moments in which she met him ) and sincere concern for her fears of not to be good enough

To be continued ......

1 ) who in the first person, that is Vanozza, Anna and her sisters, Cosimo who had to endure his cousin's speeches, Alexander and Richard who found out about it from Isabella herself, and finally Rodrigo himself, who when he found out he almost had a heart he attacked, but reluctantly, to make his no longer young ( kid ) daughter happy, he gave Isabella permission to exchange letters with the young de Medici

2 ) Richard chose this place both for a simple feeling of closeness to home ( given the large number of monks, clergy and pilgrims from the islands, who find themselves nearby ) but also because he no longer considered it tasteful to "abuse" kindness it is the hospitality of the Borgia family and the Farnese family ( even if he would never dare say this thing in front of them, knowing how Madonna Vanozza and Alexander would react to this, especially the former, of those who have developed a healthy terror of his outbursts, living for enough time among the Borgia family, so much so that he was considered by the matron to be her son )

3 ) character created by uniting many important men in the papal governments between 1503 and 1527 Otl, among the people it is said that he is also related to Cola di Rienzo himself

4 ) contemporaries speak of a queue more than 4 kilometers long, made up of almost 20 thousand people

5 ) while the princes following them are mostly hosted in the palaces of the cardinals if they are their relatives or in the other minor residences of the pope or in the Lateran

6 ) Suburra district, still existing currently in Rome

7 ) he was stabbed to death in Pompey's curia, today located in the area called Torre Argentina

Last edited:
we find Emma and Maximilian discussing what to do, while they are still lying in their bed, one close to the other, Emma turning towards her husband, asks him : " are you really sure you want to take part in these demonstrations, darling ?, it wouldn't be Is it better to spend the rest of the time conversing with the princes and kings present here to discuss your future policies ?" Max looks at his beautiful wife, with eyes full of love, but before answering her questions, he shakes his head in denial , getting a raise of eyebrows from his wife, at this he begins to speak " dear, I know you are right, your arguments are justified, but you must know, that in my research for the construction of the mausoleum, I have discovered an important fact.. " Emma stopped him for a moment to correct him " more than research, I would define it as an obsession, you were so taken that even your father was seriously worried about you ! , think that he didn't even try to hide it, as he would normally have done ! " Max smiled at this, remembering his father fondly, but the desire to defend himself was stronger and therefore I start again like this "I wasn't obsessed!, I wanted and want my predecessors to have the right recognition they deserve, furthermore I believe it is the most correct thing to do , I couldn't become emperor if I didn't show respect and admiration towards them, furthermore being a Caesar is not simply leading soldiers into battle or administering justice, as I mistakenly thought when I was young, but much more !, being their successor means be worthy of carrying their mantle, defend and support the church, always be ready to compromise and never abuse one's powers, it is above all to be loved by the people and take care of them, it is they and the pontiff who decide who is worthy of being their Caesar, given that in the past you became worthy of being an emperor only if you were acclaimed by them and then carried in procession towards the basilica, I don't want to be just a distant and alien sovereign from them, it is to be remembered as the German less tyrant than the previous ones, but sincerely recognized and perhaps loved by them in the future ! " Emma remained there silent, without knowing how to react to this confession of hers, torn between a feeling of happiness ( in recognizing how much her husband has matured compared to the first moments in which she met him ) and sincere concern for her fears of not to be good enough
MY MAX AND EMMA!😭 I miss them so much!

They're perfect! I'm just sad I can't bring them back in this story.

thank you, you make me very happy about this, I hope to let you discover some of their small private and non-private moments, which were not seen in the main plot (after all, my interlude serves this purpose)

thank you, you make me very happy about this, I hope to let you discover some of their small private and non-private moments, which were not seen in the main plot (after all, my interlude serves this purpose)
They're still dead. And I'll never be able to do them again.

Chapter 111: French Births & Marriages
Montfort, November 1551: Duke Philippe of Brittany, who has assumed the regency of Brittany earlier that same year, welcomed a healthy son with his wife, Elizabeth of England, at his estates in Montfort. The baby was christened Francois and made Count of Montfort. Philippe had, unfortunately, experienced a rough time taking over Brittany, as his mother, Isabella of Portugal, had wanted to keep her power. However, Elizabeth of England, popular with both the nobles and the people, threatened her mother-in-law and was able to secure her retirement.

Armagnac, May 1552: Mathurin Bruneau, Count of Armagnac, King Charles’ closest friend since childhood, died after falling from his horse in a hunt. He left behind his widow, Louise of Angouleme, who was now regent for their infant son, Charles, Count of Armagnac. Mathurin and Louise also had a daughter, Eleanor of Armagnac.

Louise’s brother had helped her during her period of mourning. Francois, Count of Angouleme and Madeline of Lorraine visited with their own brood of children: Antoine (b. 1547), Robert (b. 1549), and twins Marie (b. 1551) and Radegonde (b. 1551).

Paris, April 1553: Dauphin Louis was married to Princess Eleanor of England at Norte Dame (Our Lady) Cathedral. Louis was very similar to his father, energetic, charismatic and charming. Eleanor, very beautiful like her namesake aunt, found her husband’s chivalry exciting and she loved the French court. She wrote a letter to her uncle, Robert, “You’ll be happy to know I really like France! The weather is lovely. My husband is just like the knights of fairy tales. The court has so many fashionable ladies and some are copying my English tastes. My apartments at Versailles are spacious and I have quick access to the garden, where I like to pray. My new family is also very friendly. My sister-in-laws are nice to talk to and we all spend an hour each day together sewing for charity. Queen Margaret apparently held some grudge against our family, but she has never spoken a bad word to me and told me I was very lovely yesterday. One of my ladies said it would be good for me to have a baby soon. I like babies, but I’m scared of dying in childbirth. Pray for me so that I many overcome this anxiety.”

Bordeaux, September 1554: Dauphine Eleanor, despite her fears to the contrary, experienced a easy childbirth, and welcomed her first son, Prince Henri, within an hour of the commencement of her labor. Dauphin Louis, often called the “perfect Prince” was proud to have a son and payed for an elaborate christening ceremony.

Nantes, December 1554: Elizabeth of England, whose sister Eleanor was now Dauphine of France, gave birth to her second child. Duke Philippe’s new daughter was called Jeanne.

Rouen, April 1555: Robert, Duke of Normandy, second son of King Charles, married Isabelle of Brittany. Isabelle had grown up very attached to her mother as she never left the Dowager Duchess’ side. The separation from her mother was hard for Isabelle to bear, but she faced the challenge with dignity and eventually settled well into the Norman ducal household.

Paris, August 1555: Dauphin Eleanor gave birth to her first daughter, Princess Catherine of France.